• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't unplug your PS4 while it is on

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Back in the PS2 era, a friend of mine was saving his Splinter Cell game. At that point I said "don't turn the console off now or it might corrupt the save data". He replied "shut up you idiot, nothing happens" and forced it off. Then he turned it on again and the save file was gone. Man it felt so good lol. There was another friend with us and he made fun of this other guy the whole night.

I like how he called his ps2 an idiot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait, the PS4 doesn't do a small save-file on the Hard Drive like Hybernate does on PC? WTF.

HotHamBoy

The most peculiar thing is that i have unplugged my PS4 several times and this is the first time i see such an error, so yeah be careful guys.

I mean, it literally says "Hey, Do A Proper Shutdown Or Risk Damaging The System" everytime it boots up from an improper shutdown... So you didn't read that, or...?

My launch PS4 has an annoying "feature" where it turns on by itself, instead of shutting it down from the controller and then unplugging it i just yanked the power cable off and went to sleep. Today i boot the PS4 and i encounter an error saying i needed to reinstall the latest firmware through a USB drive but doing so will delete all my data, i couldn't find any solution online so i just initialized my system causing me to lose everything. It's not a total loss because i think got most of my saves on the cloud but i have to redownload everything again which is horrible. The most peculiar thing is that i have unplugged my PS4 several times and this is the first time i see such an error, so yeah be careful guys.
That feeling when you realize you may have been whooping your two year old for no reason...

fvng

Honestly if you do this, you deserve to have a busted console. Same reason I played a small violin when my friend's shocks & struts had to be replaced knowing how often he speeds through potholes.

border

So if I'm playing a game during a rainstorm and the power goes out, my PS4 is fucked? I mean, you can chide the OP for deliberately bringing this on himself but that seems like a pretty troubling problem with the hardware/software. A PC or phone that did the same thing would be unacceptable.

Yeah, never unplugging your systems is an obvious thing for all electronics, but PS4 is particularly odd with it (at least I think) cause it always rebuilds its database everytime it happens, which makes me nervous. My area gets frequent power outages so I'm always somewhat paranoid about it.

kyser73

So if I'm playing a game during a rainstorm and the power goes out, my PS4 is fucked?

Depends.

If it just had a power cutoff it'll cycle through the DB rebuild & a couple of other things before scolding you about not turning it off before disconnecting the power.

If there's a power surge and you aren't surge protected it might get damaged.

So if I'm playing a game during a rainstorm and the power goes out, my PS4 is fucked? I mean, you can chide the OP for deliberately bringing this on himself but that seems like a pretty troubling problem with the hardware/software. A PC or phone that did the same thing would be unacceptable.

I've had power outages and nothing happened. Also the same thing can happen to a PC (especially if you do it repeatedly)

border

Get a surge protector.

A surge protector won't prevent a sudden loss of power. It only guards against your hardware getting fried by a power surge.

If it just had a power cutoff it'll cycle through the DB rebuild & a couple of other things before scolding you about not turning it off before disconnecting the power.

I get that annoying scolding message often since I always leave my PS4 in low-power mode, and inevitably some rainy-day power outage causes it to shut down completely. I presume though I'm protected from that so long as I've done the low power shutdown, though I wish there was a way to turn of the scolding message :)

NeonBlack

But using your PC or a charging phone during a rainstorm can have the same outcome.

PC and PS4 can become corrupt from sudden power lost and all three are prone to being fried from electricity surge.

Do people not know this?

But using your PC or a charging phone during a rainstorm can have the same outcome.

PC and PS4 can become corrupt from sudden power lost and all three are prone to being fried from electricity surge.

And as far as phones go, those are portable devices and thus have built-in batteries and tend to have associated safeties (you typically can't update your phone without a decent charge and phones will usually shut-down forcibly once the battery gets to a certain point), so most loss-of-power situations usually aren't relevant there anyway. But even still, in the event the battery were to fail or be disconnected it's completely possible the same issues could arise. This shit could happen to literally anything.

Do people not know this?

Apparently people think warning messages are for shits and giggles.

That's not even a joke, way too many people think they're literally meaningless.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Don't microwave your PS4 for more than 3 minutes, the sides will get tough and chewy.

I've heard once that it's good to let your phone battery completely die off before charging it. Sounds like bullshit to me but anybody want to fill me in on the accuracy of that?

Dipper145

Electronics should be designed to not break when unplugged or plugged in at any time.

Which I guess in this case is true, because it still works, you're just losing some data.

But yeah, don't do just randomly unplug electronics.

Aceofspades

Banned
For emphasis:

XwWVimU.jpg

message should read " do not YANK the AC cable..."

OP, go sue Sony!

Your PC can be fuck also .
It has happen to me already with my PC even with a surge protector .

Kieli

Nothing is more beautiful in life than when Windows 10 decides its the perfect time to spend 2 million years updating your computer when you finally want to get some shit done.

KyleCross

How old are you, OP? I'm genuinely curious. Not unplugging electronic devices when they're on is something that anyone born after the 80s should come to know quite well by the time they're 15.

Zabka

If you're that concerned get a UPS.

RevenWolf

Your PC can be fuck also .
It has happen to me already with my PC even with a surge protector .

Yup, any surfers or direct unplugging is like rolling the dice on whether it fucks your shit up.

The fact that OP did it numerous times despite the warnings is hilarious, and he's lucky no permanent damage seems done on the console lol.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a design flaw in my opinion. There should be a backup of every essential file on the disk in separate sector case this happens, and it will pull corrupted files. Forcing you to wipe the drive is a bit asinine.

I've had devices die probably a hundred times to me having to pull the plug, accident power loss, or my entire houses power going out.

I've never once faced any corruption, especially to that magnitude. My PS3 had to go through this a lot, even during firmware updates. Always survived.

Well, while the OP is very 'no shit" territory, the way the PS4 deals with electrical charges is different from almost every device I've ever owned.

The amount of times I've unplugged it, touched the capacitive touch buttons and it's still turned on for a brief second or the times ive put it into rest mode and it's just turned itself off is countless at this point.

The simple fact that console hates being turned off via the power button is a bit of a red flag. I know it's just following the conventions of a x86 computer but it doesn't change the fact that i had to unlearn habits of 20 years of console gaming in the first few weeks with it.

Also, WTF is with all those random beeps?

McLovin

Yeah man you take a huge risk when you unplug a powered on console. You only do it if it's stuck. It can handle if you do it a couple times but it's not something you want to do regularly.

border

Do people not know this?
Power surges are not the same as simple power outages. My phone doesn't go corrupt if I drain the battery down to 0%. My computer has been running during many power outages and hasn't required me to format my drive as a result.

about 1.5 years ago i was extremely pissed at either my ps4 or a video game, and the only way to get the last laugh on it was to unplug it while it was still on. i regretted it instantly. thankfully it was fine after i powered it back up. i'll never do that again.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Power surges are not the same as simple power outages. My phone doesn't go corrupt if I drain the battery down to 0%. My computer has been running during many power outages and hasn't required me to format my drive as a result.

Well, I invite you to do it all the time and let your battery drain dead, every single time, let's see how long your battery life lasts. Same for your pc, yank the power cable while it's working every time from now on. Give us an update lol.

Read the OP. He has bee doing it all the time, it eventually caught with him, it's like playing Russian roulette.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

He said "can have the same outcome," my PS4 has been on during a power outage and has been fine, as well.

Top Bottom