• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Raptomex

The game is a sequel to Doom 1, 2 and Doom 64
They call this a reboot but story elements lead me to believe it's a sequel. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Doom 64 has a different Doomguy. I think at the end of Doom 64 he decides to stay in Hell to make sure they never invade again. Kind of a tragic ending really.

Simo

I really never ever got the impression this was the case at all. It really did just look like shoot, run at them, glory kill, rinse and repeat - regardless of difficulty.

Yeah it's like that in the beginning but as you progress and the enemies get harder and more of them, coupled with you arsenal and mods expanding then Glory Kills becomes more of a strategic ability rather than a cool visual showcase.

They call this a reboot but story elements lead me to believe it's a sequel. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Doom 64 has a different Doomguy. I think at the end of Doom 64 he decides to stay in Hell to make sure they never invade again. Kind of a tragic ending really.

I think it was the same Doomguy. IIRC it's because of the experience and surviving the first 2 Doom games and the story that Doomguy goes back to stop Hell once and for all in Doom 64. I think the preamble talks about him speaking to shrinks and whatnot because nobody believed him on what happened on Mars or something. lol

Klyka

Banned

This game actually kinda rewrites the end to Doom 64

When the Doomguy enters the Blood Temple, he gets trapped in a sarcaphogus and then locked away

It is, 100%, the same guy from Doom 1,2 and 64

When the Doomguy enters the Blood Temple, he gets trapped in a sarcaphogus and then locked away

Isnt it awesome how they maintain the mythology of the games?

So much fun.
Brilliant and thanks. That looked exactly what I want, although presumably that was pc? Can I ask you FOV and game difficulty?

Hey yeah. That was PC, with m + kb (obviously) and I was playing on Nightmare (hardest non perma-death diffficulty).

Regarding the glory kills. I hoenstly think on Nightmare, you can die easily using them as you are partially put in place for a moment. Giving time for ranged enemies to fire off a salvo which can hit and kill you once the animation finishes. That and the damage values are intense on that difficuluty.

Perhaps I can record some gameplay later of me in an area where using the glory kills makes more sense.
Also, it makes most sense to uise it when you know you will benefit from it. You do not always need the HP / Armour /Ammo

Raptomex

I think it was the same Doomguy. IIRC it's because of the experience and surviving the first 2 Doom games and the story that Doomguy goes back to stop Hell once and for all in Doom 64. I think the preamble talks about him speaking to shrinks and whatnot because nobody believed him on what happened on Mars or something. lol

It does sound like this game rewrites Doom 64 indeed. I never knew if Doom 64 was Canon anyway considering it was developed by Midway.

Drewfonse

Can someone please confirm that when you choose mission select to play an earlier level, you cannot bump up the difficulty while keeping your upgrades/items? Kind of a bummer for me if true.

After playing some of the campaign and not liking it very much I tried the multi player and I must say I am pleasantly surprised, I enjoy it a lot more than the single player. Only thing I would change is the announcer, he doesn't fit very well.

I really dig the MP as well. LOTS of fun!

bosseye

Reading all these positive impressions is weakening my resolve.

I reckon once UC4 is done I'll trade that for Doom. If I enjoy it anything like as much as I enjoyed TNO then I'll be a happy bunny.

Klyka

Banned
Isnt it awesome how they maintain the mythology of the games?

So much fun.

I said this quite a few pages ago but my favorite thing in the game is

the scene where you see Olivia Pierce talk to a disembodied voice who is supposed to be the "big bad" and she just told him that DoomGuy is lose. The big bad then immediately goes "ok,alright,pack it up,that's it,he got out and we are fucked." and Olivia actually has to interject and say she has a plan to continue.

Doom Guy is so epic, the big bad declares "war over" the moment it hears he is around

Can anyone help me out with how to do the Trick Shot challenge on Titan's Realm? That's literally the only thing left for me, but I just can't figure it out. (did it once by accident but, had to reset cause I didn't have the powerup kills)

EDIT: Never mind figured out

I still like the multiplayer, but I think people would have a more favorable opinion of it if it was closer to the alpha

No XP, no burn cards, no weird weapons (lightning gun, etc), Chris Sabat as the announcer. The map (Foundry? I think it's called) is still the best I've played

The fact that you can't even make your own loadout until you complete a match......what? What kind of stupid shit is that? The fact that you need to unlock non-cosmetics is so so stupid

Customization is neat though, and there's quite a bit you can do with it. I like seeing people recreate superheroes and whatever (though I haven't UPPED MY XP enough to create tan suit Wolverine yet, gotta unlock brown and orange lol)

I don't think MP is the travesty some people make it out to be but man, they just couldn't resist caking a bunch of shit on top of it could they

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I said this quite a few pages ago but my favorite thing in the game is

the scene where you see Olivia Pierce talk to a disembodied voice who is supposed to be the "big bad" and she just told him that DoomGuy is lose. The big bad then immediately goes "ok,alright,pack it up,that's it,he got out and we are fucked." and Olivia actually has to interject and say she has a plan to continue.

Doom Guy is so epic, the big bad declares "war over" the moment it hears he is around

I love the Slayer's Testaments. Not only is that voice perfect but it's really cool hearing of an ancient warrior who destroyed the land being YOU instead of a villain.

jacobeid

Banned
I picked this up from Redbox last night and played the first few levels on PS4. Definitely enjoying myself and will pick the game up on PC now.

Ricker

They dont call them Challenges for nothing lol...some of those Runes are ridiculously hard...kill 3 Imps with a Glory Kill while falling down on them in 30 seconds...? yeah right,I have a hard time doing one in that time lol...just giving up on them,sucks for the rewards but oh well.

Ulysses 31

They dont call them Challenges for nothing lol...some of those Runes are ridiculously hard...kill 3 Imps with a Glory Kill while falling down on them in 30 seconds...? yeah right,I have a hard time doing one in that time lol...just giving up on them,sucks for the rewards but oh well.

If you time your double jumps well you can do glory kills from above as well.

The hardest for me thus far was "you can only move for 3 seconds after each kill, kill 15"

Kept getting myself stuck in places with no visible enemies lol

Fishook

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

If you brought up playing games like Doom, then this game really nails it, but the modern generation just are not bothered about these style of games.

fwpx

How I know this game is good:

Walk in to room with Lost Souls (First time seeing them in this game).

First thought: oh fuck, Lost Souls! *strafes*

Immediate muscle memory. Fantastic.

Shauni

Picked this up and can't wait, patch is installing now. I don't know why, but the OT title makes me think of my all time favorite loss.jpg parody.

XyLqgrI.jpg

Sephzilla

I love how this game commits to its tone. The game knows its a ridiculous adrenaline fueled action romp but doesn't go into camp territory with it. Doomguy basically giving a non-verbal fuck off to Hayden as Hayden gives his "benefit of mankind" speech in the intro before dropping the title screen while metal fucking music plays, ultimately ending with the sound off the shotgun being cocked, was a perfect tone setter for "go forth and rip and tear"

GavinUK86

So what's the ideal way to take out the guys with shields? I try jumping over them to shoot from behind but they turn around pretty quickly. Chainsaw is a easy option.

dlauv

So what's the ideal way to take out the guys with shields? I try jumping over them to shoot from behind but they turn around pretty quickly. Chainsaw is a easy option.

Get med-range and strafe shoot. They get stuck in an animation and you avoid damage. Or do as the above post suggests.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I love how this game commits to its tone. The game knows its a ridiculous adrenaline fueled action romp but doesn't go into camp territory with it. Doomguy basically giving a non-verbal fuck off to Hayden as Hayden gives his "benefit of mankind" speech in the intro before dropping the title screen while metal fucking music plays, ultimately ending with the sound off the shotgun being cocked, was a perfect tone setter for "go forth and rip and tear"

One of the early codex's you find is hilarious. Final line essentially says "...Hayden offers you help in your goal. You don't need it. You just require more ammo to put an end to the invasion." Paraphrasing, but the actual wording is pretty close, and I laughed.

NeonBlack

Apparently FPS have trained me to try and reload whenever my gun's ammo indicator isn't full. At least I get to look at the pretty chainsaw.

marrec

Banned

I just save them for last and strafe around them, they have a pretty slow turn rate.

On a different note, the MP is just as much fun as the SP, if different. The weapons need some tuning and they need to add a "classic" mode for the masses who want it, but otherwise I'm having a blast may enjoy it even more than the SP, especially as both myself and the competition get better.

Glory Killing a demon in MP is my gaming moment of the year so far.

BigDug13

Plasma rifle stun shot is my goto for them. That alt fire is kind of overpower in some ways.

Shit yeah it's overpowered. I like to switch between super shotgun and plasma. Use the plasma as a stun grenade and switch to clean up with the super shotgun that does SO much damage at close range.

For the shield guys though I just view them as walking ammo relenishments. It's just so much easier to chainsaw them for me.

Mr Swine

Banned
If you brought up playing games like Doom, then this game really nails it, but the modern generation just are not bothered about these style of games.

Sadly it's not only games like doom but many others that are disappearing and a small niche of genres are pretty big right now. Before we had tons of genres but now that pool is shrinking each gen it seems like

Mupod

around when the stun bomb started feeling OP the game ramped up to compensate. Ultraviolence feels about right in that I rarely die but it usually feels 'close'. I played like shit in the first boss fight and straight up overpowered him though.

mcz117chief

147953ffdb4647f1c9e1403f743ae1b0.jpg

Kind of reminds me of this to be honest, not in a completely bad way though. I feel that games like DOOM and Call of Duty can EASILY coexists next to each other without the fan bases ripping each other's heads off. Maybe you dislike Call of Duty and think that unless everyone appreciates DOOM we are doomed, but I believe that video games, just like any art form, can have many individual forms suited for individual people. DOOM is, so far, being enjoyed by almost anyone, everyone is up in arms because of a couple of reviews that gave it 6 or 7, which are NOT bad scores, all right? 1-4 are bad scores, 6 and up are games worth playing (most of the time).

Top Bottom