• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread 4: Even Mike Ross Plays [Elder Titan]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hung_real

sdN8ks9.png

*bow*

Conceptor

Going to bed early tonight to catch the Grand Final. Hypeeeeeee

I like both teams so I'll be happy as long as we get some really competitive games

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ugh, played with a sniper who thought he was hot stuff. Called us all noobs. Didn't finish his boots until 50 minutes in. Then left the treads on strength "because hp is the most important part" Bonus: He said his ult did more damage than his auto attack and "DPS and mini stuns aren't really that important" compared to raw damage

Actually, I will agree with the Strength Treads augment. The extra 150 HP will usually do more good then +8 damage/ Attack Speed, and you need over 2000 HP for the Armor to be worth more then the HP.

Aselith

Actually, I will agree with the Strength Treads augment. The extra 150 HP will usually do more good then +8 damage/ Attack Speed, and you need over 2000 HP for the Armor to be worth more then the HP.

Yep, I nearly always leave str treads on the majority of heroes.

Artanisix

The thing is, as SNiper, you should never really be in the position to be hit in the first place.

I like phase or tranquils on sniper. Tranquils + Maelstrom is such easy jungle farming with sniper. Phase makes for easier last hitting and positioning.

vocab

The thing is, as SNiper, you should never really be in the position to be hit in the first place.

I've seen a sniper get trashed by an omni knight/jakrio lane. Every time I watched him go for last hits he was never at max range, and he was always on top of the creep wave. ughh

Even with my most quota-centric Prophet games, I can never beat the Luna ones in terms of GPM and XPM. I suppose since I'm typically active in more fights, and glaives let you farm the jungle faster than he can in the late game. And this is without ever going Midas on Luna (which would be fun.)

And what do people like on him as the first major item? Typically I get Orchid since it lets you burst people down while sprouted, but when I do so I don't feel there's much need to get a sheep stick as well, so I go Deso or Daedalus next. Thoughts? I know Shadow Blade can be fun if you're in the mood for that as well.

shira

I had to adjust the batrider textures to make it look a bit different. Also i have no idea how to play batrider...

Is there any way you could call the item Molossus?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molossus_(bat)

It's a reference to the movie Batman Begins and is one of the best songs on the soundtrack
http://youtu.be/iZst_2xJHAI?t=3m40s
All the song have names of bats.

I doubt it is copyrighted since it is species name, but I think there would be a pretty big geekout if people heard about the Batman tie-in.

[/my 2 cents]

Krabboss

ugh, played with a sniper who thought he was hot stuff. Called us all noobs. Didn't finish his boots until 50 minutes in. Then left the treads on strength "because hp is the most important part" Bonus: He said his ult did more damage than his auto attack and "DPS and mini stuns aren't really that important" compared to raw damage

This is so baffling to me. How does a person think raw damage is more important than dealing MORE DAMAGE PER SECOND. That's such a bizarre way of thinking I can't even fucking imagine it.

Dahbomb

Well this was by far my best match so far. I was Viper.

2GauKN0.jpg
Some of the Radiant side inventories are hilarious. That Juggernaut with the Mask of Madness rush and that Ursa stacking single item agility all the way. And of course Sniper with double boots and the trifecta.

Aselith

These pubs! PA in my last game went butterfly first, didn't even build boots. She had the Eaglesong and Boots of Speed in her inventory for nearly the whole game. :(

Krabboss

Some of the Radiant side inventories are hilarious. That Juggernaut with the Mask of Madness rush and that Ursa stacking single item agility all the way. And of course Sniper with double boots and the trifecta.

The Dire Sniper's got two boots too. Incredible.

I wish wish wish I could play games against people this bad. I'm not particularly good at the game and my win ratio is < 1, but I still get mached up with people with 80+ wins every game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Dire Sniper's got two boots too. Incredible.

I wish wish wish I could play games against people this bad. I'm not particularly good at the game and my win ratio is < 1, but I still get mached up with people with 80+ wins every game.

I've been on a really rough streak lately and this was a welcome exception. It was incredibly fun to smash the other team. And shit, this was the first time I ever even played Viper.

Krabboss

I've been on a really rough streak lately and this was a welcome exception. It was incredibly fun to smash the other team. And shit, this was the first time I ever even played Viper.

I think most of my problem stems from the fact I play on US West at a time when most people there would be sleeping. The pool of players must be so tiny that it can't find people around my level. I'm in Australia, but I play with friends in Europe, so we have to play on US West so we can all have a kind of acceptable ping.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Does anyone have some good build for Razor?

I've been going Phase >Poor Mans Shield >Vanguard > Sange and Yasha > BKB.

Not too sure of the usefulness of Poor Mans Shield but I remember someone saying it stacks with Vanguard.

So far it's been OK for me but I tend to play Razor a bit suicidal due to his ability to chase lone heroes down.

Another anecdote (from the trench?):

Was watching a bit of one of my replays today where I lost to see if I could learn anything. While I wasn't doing amazing, sure, I think I made the best of bad circumstances. I mainly learned that my teammates were awful. 3 out of 4 had really bad skill, if not item builds.

-Zeus didn't get Static Field until 8.

-Troll Warlord didn't get Whirling Axes until 10.

-Broodmother got a level 2 Incapacitating Bite and maxed it before putting a second level in spiderlings (which she put one point in at 3.) She also ended the game with 3 Rings of Aquila. Though I'm not sure if that was a troll at the end, or legitimate - I didn't watch that far into the replay.

So yeah.

Krabboss

Not too sure of the usefulness of Poor Mans Shield but I remember someone saying it stacks with Vanguard.

So far it's been OK for me but I tend to play Razor a bit suicidal due to his ability to chase lone heroes down.

Edit: Never mind what I just said, I went and googled a bit.
For shields, it checks the shield with a greater effect first (Vanguard) and should it proc, it won't check the other (PMS or Stout Shield).

I'd probably skip the PMS and just go straight into Vanguard and other tanky items. BKB is good (if they enemy team has a ton of disables, at least), so is heart, maybe even hood of defiance if the enemy team has a lot of nukers. From what I understand from the limited times I've played as/with Razor, his role is to gank a bunch in the mid game and transition into a carry counter in the late game should it last that long. Because of that, I don't know if I'd buy many offensive items. But I don't really know!

I don't play razor a lot but I think mek or pipe would be decent on him instead of vanguard, paired with a drum. One thing I'd suggest is to max link first if you're in a lane where people can't get blink or break link easily. 4-5 second link early on will get you multi kills. I dislike PMS on ranged heroes, I'd rather get tranquils if I'm getting harassed. In turn you could turn that tranquils into a basilus/aquilas + hood, or the regen mask for mek. You would just end up selling the PMS eventually.

Dahbomb

PMS stacks with Vanguard but when you get both drop them both and equip Vanguard first.

Razor is one of my most used heroes but I am almost always changing builds with him to adapt to the situation. I usually pick him for mid when there are a couple of right clickers on the team with a targetted spell (like Sven). Since I go mid with him I get a Bottle. Basically the two things I go for with Razor are tankiness and attack speed with Yasha for more MS. Tankiness is obvious because you need to be able to take hits to steal some damage and attack speed is also because of the chain link. If I have fast attack speed then that means my DPS goes way up when I steal some damage. This is why Power Treads are great on him, he gets tankiness and attack speed. Vanguard I get if I need to bulk otherwise I go straighy for Yasha. Most people make SnY with him which is a great item but I sometimes make Manta on him. Hell even Shadowblade is very good on him. Late game you have to have BKB, it's essential on him. Butterfly is the premier late game item on him as is Heart/AC because if the tankiness they provide. I build Scepter when the team lacks tower pushing capability, it's underrated on Razor. If team doesn't have Pipe I get one, it's always good to have magic res on Razor anyway. Diffusal Blade is also really good on Razor as the purge can give you more time on your link but build it when the other team has Warlock.

If I sense that I need to take the game into late game and need more GPM I make Midas and Mjolnor which allows Razor to farm fast although your goal with Razor is to finish the game at around the mid game.

shira

I go old school TDA Razor build. Straight to radiance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Oh man this morning was so awesome. I was on such a horrible losing streak for the last week or so and then I teamed up with Forkball and a couple others and won three games in a row. So satisfying.

Oh man this morning was so awesome. I was on such a horrible losing streak for the last week or so and then I teamed up with Forkball and a couple others and won three games in a row. So satisfying.

Coordination is such a big thing in this game. Just being a more cohesive team can make up for a LOT, so long as the game isn't thrown early with some lane dying repeatedly, especially if an enemy carry/playmaker hero is getting fed.

shira

Yes I would like to thanks some GAF pro's for letting me in on 3 "very high" games/wins these past few days. Feels good to win at that level, then feels like shit to go back to pubs with no courier/wards/english.

Tenck

Fork and I usually play pretty early. You're welcome to join us whenever. Usually it's just he and I, and yeah, let's say some of our random teammates are not that pleasant.

Sanjay

Does any one have a before and after picture of the The Inscrutable Zeal Set? It looks weird now, well less good. The mask seems well shit compared to before.

Shira, you need an avatar. At least get a Dota 2-related one if nothing else.

And I need to add more people to my friends list. I don't necessarily play at any set time, and am sometimes up early or late playing. Even if I'm not able to have voice chat going on all the time, even with just text, being in a premade is so much better.

Aselith

Aquila > Treads > Vanguard > Yasha > Desolator > Manta > AC or Daedulus according to taste

Add BKB if needed after Vanguard

Make sure you static link their tanks. It goes through BKB and will make you crazy strong if they let it run.

iamblades

I need to play mag more.

Getting off huge RPs feels sooo good.

I'm stuck in the low tier 'lane for 5 minutes then 5 man dota time!' type games when I just want to farm, but mag works great in those types of games.

Rahk

Wait, Static Link works while the target is in the air with Eul's? Combined with the movement speed that sounds awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom