• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

Put in $100 for now. My name in the credits is too tempting to pass up. And now that signed poster is tempting. Damn you Schafer!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Point and Click adventure games are not particularly expensive to make, on a basic level. As Tim noted, they've already raised more than double the total budget of Secret of Monkey Island.

That's a terrible example. That game was made over 20 years ago! I'm 100% on Double Fine's side. I'm just saying... I don't think the game's true dev cost is only 300K.

Bentendo

I don't quite think Valve sees a major publisher leaving Steam as a good thing.

EA leaving Steam and making Origin was good for gamers?

So you're saying that EA making Origin is negated because Steam now has Double Fine?

What?

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

That's a terrible example. That game was made over 20 years ago! I'm 100% on Double Fine's side. I'm just saying... I don't think the game's true dev cost is only 300K.

At this rate they'll be making much more than that.

Plus they can probably justify putting some money into it from their own chests as they'll still sell more copies when it gets released.

Vire

The name of the site is called KickStarter for a reason, not Kickinvestor or Kickfunder.

However, I do see this going over the $400,000 mark.

So you're saying that EA making Origin is negated because Steam now has Double Fine?

What?

No, "negated" would mean no net gain for Steam gamers. But if you can't understand a simple single clause sentence after three tries, there is no point in continuing this conversation. I think EA makes games that are tested marketed and targeted specifically at people like you.

Card Boy

Banned
Not really liking these rewards. Take a note out of the AVGN: Movie and Shadow Era pub funds on how to do these.

Pretty dumb they are not signing posters if you pledge $100 (you need $250). James Rolf was signing photos at $30.

5,000 people already putting their money down for a game. Almost a $50 per person average....

reddit effect is kicking in: donations seem to be coming in at a faster rate...

That's a terrible example. That game was made over 20 years ago!

Right, but there isn't anything like the same kind of jump in production costs for P&Cs as there is in many other genres: the addition of voice acting was certainly a big cost jump, but otherwise a classic adventure game is something that can be written and designed by one person, coded by a few people (assuming an even halfway decent starting engine), and built on a fairly inexpensive set of art assets. The idea that Double Fine could assemble this game with, say, a team of 12 people over four months (which $300k would just about pay for) is definitely plausible.

This is priceless, they will hit the limit in one day, but by all means:

a. PC gaming is dead

b. Continue to invest in multi-million AAA projects and complain about used games

It actually is a good example.

If you wanted another Final Fantasy 1-6 title, for example, and something in the vein of what Hironobu Sakaguchi made, it is definitely not even close to being as expensive as post FF6. Of course, with Final Fantasy, because of continuously high sales, they are allowed to invest in it more. Adventure games, however, have been rumored to be dead. I am betting Tim wants to make a game exactly in the same vein as his previous achievements. Sure, it probably won't be as rough graphically and cost more than Monkey Island's $100k, but it can't be THAT much more. I think $400k is entirely possible.

Bentendo

Ah, good old fashion Cognitive Dissonance. Who cares what happens in the industry as long as I get my shiny bauble.

It was in reference to the fact that you cared so much about what somone on the internet said. It was terrible for Valve that they lost EA but great they got Double Fine. Why can't someone say that without an argument starting?

If you wanted another Final Fantasy title, for example, and something in the vein of what Hironobu Sakaguchi made, it is definitely not even close to being as expensive as post FF6.

I hate you for saying this, because if the Gooch and Itou put up a Kickstarter to fund a brand-new circa-FF5-era-style Final Fantasy I would empty my bank accounts to fund it, and I don't even think my wife would kill me. But it is not to be. :(

dude, we're talking about EA

So?

The guy was saying that Origin being created (and everything that went along with it) was fine as long as some other company got on Steam.

I don't give a shit if you like EA or hate EA. Letting their bullshit slide simply because something Nice happened somewhere else is stupid and exactly the type of shit that allows them to do so.

I'm sorry, but Bad doesn't go away just because you stop caring.

Tobor

If we're taking Tim at his word:

the first major studio to fully finance their next game with a Kickstarter campaign and develop it in the public eye.

So?

The guy was saying that Origin being created (and everything that went along with it) was fine as long as some other company got on Steam.

I don't give a shit if you like EA or hate EA. Letting their bullshit slide simply because something Nice happened somewhere else is stupid and exactly the type of shit that allows them to do so.

I'm sorry, but Bad doesn't go away just because you stop caring.

That is great and all, but this is all a bit of a thread derail.

I know what they are doing is amazing but there is this 'itch' where I want to say "Was Notch's money too good for you?"

But then again, Notch's money is something they'll have to return eventually and they might not have creative control over certain things if he turns out to be an ass. This, however, is going straight to the fans by the fans.

I hate you for saying this, because if the Gooch and Itou put up a Kickstarter to fund a brand-new circa-FF5-era-style Final Fantasy I would empty my bank accounts to fund it, and I don't even think my wife would kill me. But it is not to be. :(

I didn't even think about the dreams I created with that statement. If only. :'(

I know what they are doing is amazing but there is this 'itch' where I want to say "Was Notch's money too good for you?"

But then again, Notch's money is something they'll have to return eventually and they might not have creative control over certain things if he turns out to be an ass. This, however, is going straight to the fans by the fans.

This campaign was designed long before Notch's tweets this week.

We also know nothing about their possible deal together, which appeared to be in regards to Psychonauts 2 anyhow.

I don't think any of this negates any talks they've had with Notch about Psychonauts 2.

Top Bottom