• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what if you never wake up

That's deep, man.

Really? If so I will chip in a hundred. Not buying until after my wedding in July but can't pass this up

'Tis true. From the website:

Kickstarter said:
If this project is successfully funded, your credit card will be charged on Tuesday Mar 13, 8:00pm EDT, along with all the other backers of this project.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have major concerns about "public eye" and its influence on the direction of the game. I mean if they are making a mutiplayer game or an action title, the game would only benefit from this. But adventure games require good writing and creative visions. This stuff shouldn't be a subject of public discussions because there are too many people with their own preferences. I mean if your game is laggy, controls are unresponsive, there are some balance issues it's a universal problem. But if somebody says "I don't like this character, he doesn't appeal to me" that's just an opinion.

Cartman86

Banned
I have major concerns about "public eye" and its influence on the direction of the game. I mean if they are making a mutiplayer game or an action title, the game would only benefit from this. But adventure games require good writing and creative visions. This stuff shouldn't be a subject of public discussions because there are too many people with their own preferences. I mean if your game is laggy, controls are unresponsive, there are some balance issues it's a universal problem. But if somebody says "I don't like this character, he doesn't appeal to me" that's just an opinion.

Doubt you will see any real input like that. If anything they will come to a point where they can't decide which incidental character looks better and put it up for a vote, buy yes I do worry about this sometimes when I hear about some aspects of play testing.

I trust DF to make something that ultimately they want to make.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd like to donate but I don't luve in the US and I don't play Steam games anymore. :(

And wow, someone donated $10,000.

Will the donations stop conciderably once the 400k goal is met? If so, that'd be a total shame.

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.

-Eddman-

Allright, Double Fine now has my $15. Totally deserved as Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games and I'm really enjoying my recently purchased Brutal Legend.

Item Box

Hopefully I can donate before time is up. Can't wait to see what they make out of this.

Will the donations stop conciderably once the 400k goal is met? If so, that'd be a total shame.
From the FAQ:

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.

EDIT: Beaten.

Pachael

I'd honestly like to see some of the profits spit back to the investors, too, with this sort of thing. It might not be much, but a lot of college kids could use the cash, and it'd be a good way to spur on some sales of other games as a result.

Despite being skeptical on crowdfunding and peer-to-peer lending/investing/donating a few years back, I've warmed up to the idea a bit more on the realisation that I should treat it as if I won't get money back but it'd be used for good purposes. As for investing returns, I think we're a lot closer these days than we used to be.

Of course, if it goes sour, that's my money gone anyway and there'd be some whinging about it / pulling out investments / flipping magazine racks.

I've put in $15. The pitch sounded like some dream combination of words so it's not an issue. "What could possibly go wrong?" indeed. In fact, I might start looking around Kickstarter and its ilk to see which projects are worth my dosh.

Randdalf

I think this is exciting. Rather than letting the company find funding, you pay for the game in advance, instead of just recieving the final product. So in any case you'd spend $15, but those $15 go directly to funding development. Of course, this is all done in anticipation of making a profit out of it at the end of the day.

Acosta

I did my part (was waiting for later, but at this rate there is not going to be "later" lol).

I wonder if this makes uneasy to anybody in the publisher line.

Card Boy

Banned
I know right? Man, with Schafer AND Gilbert, this game could be legen-wait for it-DARY! Anyone wanna guess what the final kickstarter total will be? $600,000?

I'd say they could easily get 1mil, I have being involved in afew of these, and I have noticed 30-40% of the money comes in the last 72hrs where people go into last minute rush/panic mode.

C4Lukins

Yeah, no doubt. But I wonder how much this model can really escalate.

Between Alpha Funding, Kickstarting and so, I feel we are living in a really interesting time.

I think it is only going to work for beloved developers and people resurrecting old IP for the most part.

I'd love if it were so much that they ended up making a sequel.

If this ends up exceeding $600k, I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who backed this project would rather seem that many spent on more content or simply waiting in reserve for the sequel after fan feedback of the first.

If this ends up exceeding $600k, I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who backed this project would rather seem that many spent on more content or simply waiting in reserve for the sequel after fan feedback of the first.

Oh, yeah. I didn't mean an immediate sequel, haha. But having the money there in case they wanted to.

If I donate $15 now and then $15 or more later (when employed hopefully), do you think it'll register as having gone over the $30 so as to get the documentary reward? Or go I just take the plunge straight off? Just seems such a great idea

Acosta

I think it is only going to work for beloved developers and people resurrecting old IP for the most part.

Well, Alpha Funding worked for Minecraft.

It´s not going to work for everybody for any game, sure, but I feel a growing potential.

Orayn

I shed a tear of joy. Can you imagine this happening for other ailing or dead genres? Can you imagine a world without meddlesome publishers?

This is the future of video games, and it is very bright indeed.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
that wasnt notch, Notch donated 5k twice.

but there is one pledge of 10k

Notch probably didn't want to take someone else's opportunity of the lunch with Shafer and Gilbert, especially since hes apparently meeting up with Shafer soon anyways (from what was implied on twitter in regards to psychonauts stuff)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I shed a tear of joy. Can you imagine this happening for other ailing or dead genres? Can you imagine a world without meddlesome publishers?

This is the future of video games, and it is very bright indeed.

I think crowdsourcing can become a pretty good channel for funding small or mid-sized projects once people realize that their money and opinion matter, that they are involved, that every one of them is important and that they pay for development of the game by funding it. They have direct access to the developer who listens to them. Once they realize that the developer isn't some faceless, abstract entity which is listed on the box (or not) and that they can subsidize their own entertainment we'll see signifficant rise in crowdfunding.

Bentendo

Well, they're at 300,000. Is this Kickstart's most successful campaign yet?

EDIT: I see it's not. But I can't imagine any other campaign getting this much support so quickly.

Orayn

DOSH! Grab it while you can, lads!

I think crowdsourcing can become a pretty good channel for funding small or mid-sized projects once people realize that their money and opinion matter, that they are involved, that every one of them is important and that they pay for development of the game by funding it. They have direct access to the developer who listens to them. Once they realize that the developer isn't some faceless, abstract entity which is listed on the box (or not) and that they can subsidize their own entertainment we'll see signifficant rise in crowdfunding.

$10 says the old guard of publishers console superpowers do everything in their power to keep video games as impersonal $60 boxes sold by abstract, faceless entities.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I can't believe how quickly this has gone! When I pledged it was still at 11k. Go go, Double Fine!

Myomoto

I've been sitting on the Kickstarter page for a little while, refreshing the page from time to time, it's pretty much just a constant stream of money going in! I almost wish the counter would go up in real time.

Top Bottom