• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

300k. That's awesome.

Am I the only one who thinks Capcom is getting some ideas from this? >_>

Yeah. They've got enough money and a kickstarter would probably backfire on them.
Had Clover Studio still been around, they on the other hand might see some love.

Inafuking could probably pull it off now that he's away from Capcom.

If I donate $15 now and then $15 or more later (when employed hopefully), do you think it'll register as having gone over the $30 so as to get the documentary reward? Or go I just take the plunge straight off? Just seems such a great idea

Guys and girls?

I'll put it more simply. Can you increase your donation after the fact?

Edit: Sorry, just seen

"What if I want to change my pledge?
You can change or cancel your pledge anytime before Tuesday Mar 13, 8:00pm EDT."

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Am I the only one who thinks Capcom is getting some ideas from this? >_>

this stuff will work worse for companies that used to screw their customers and don't have a nerd cred. CD Project RED could do it, Valve could do it, Runic games could do it, some small team could do it, Volition could do it but if you treat your customers like they are walking banknotes you won't get this kind of support. Finally having a direct contact with your fanbase on the internet pays off.

I mean there will be some crazy fans who would support Megaman's development, but there will be a lot of people who won't trust Capcom their money as they won't be sure that they won't be screwed with some money-grabbing watered down game in the end.

Not that I'm not going to donate BUT can only the backers see the documentary or will it be made available for all?
And if every backer gets a code for the game their won't be much of an audicence left for it to buy :(.

Troll

Banned
Anyone want to go 1/20 with me for the bowling game with them? It's only 1000 each and he had better take all of us. If not I could just go and tell the rest of you how great it was.

DBT85

Anyone want to start taking guesses on the total amount reached by the closing date?

Since at this rate it's going to get its target in the next 24 hours!

Orayn

Not that I'm not going to donate BUT can only the backers see the documentary or will it be made available for all?
And if every backer gets a code for the game their won't be much of an audicence left for it to buy :(.

A Double Fine release on Steam shouldn't have any trouble selling copies.

Consider another scenario, though... A developer does this, but plans their budget such a way that they wouldn't need to sell many, or even any copies. They'd have what it cost to make the game plus plenty more, and all the "real" sales would be pure profit for them. NOW you're thinking with crowdfunding. Hell, World of Mass Development takes this one stop further by promising to pay back the people who fund their game.

The last part maybe true, but I expect the funding of the game will include salaries for the employees, so they won't go without. And they're not having to give a return to investors on the project as we're already getting the game.

SparkTR

I think they anticipate that there won't be much of an audience for the game, it seems they just want to have another crack at the genre without going in the red, which this method allows.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

why? first. many people wait to see if it is good. Second, not everyone knows about this. And if nobody buys it this won't be a problem, just usual business with a publisher when the team gets funded for development and sees not a single dime afterwards.

I thought it was only those who donated $15 or more get the game. Anything below that is just a donation. Wouldn't make sense to give everyone a code just for giving $1.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pledged $250. I've finished every single adventure games LucasArts ever did, and these are some of my favorite gaming moments ever, so yeah I'm more than happy to put some money into this :)

Ryan_IGN

All of the Europeans are probably just now waking up and seeing this, so I'd expect it to hit the target within the next couple hours.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. 325k. I'm constantly surprised, even though I should be at this point. This has only been going for roughly seven hours, no?

Garcia

Pledged as well :D.

This is insane... over 300k in 8 hours. I have no idea how much more he will get!

Top Bottom