• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The donations will surely RAPIDLY drop-off once that $400,000 mark is hit.

Killer

Banned
if this game gets lets say $2 million dollars out of this, would you guys prefer a full fledged 15-20 hours of gameplay with longer development period?

$250 coming out of my bank 2 days before pay day will be rough, but oh so worth it.

I can display the signed poster with my Ron Gilbert signed rubber chicken.

The donations will surely RAPIDLY drop-off once that $400,000 mark is hit.

I think they will most definitely slow-down, but I don't think they will stop. Most projects that are really popular fund well over 200% of the asking price.

The benefit to a well done Kickstarter is you get stuff that's worth it or limited to the campaign. I am confident this project will hit $600,000 ~ $800,000.

if this game gets lets say $2 million dollars out of this, would you guys prefer a full fledged 15-20 hours of gameplay with longer development period?

I don't know, I think that's too long for an adventure game. I'd prefer it to be 7-8 hours, and with the possibility of sequels or entirely new games. But the time really comes down to the player. Some people could take hours and hours, others may get it done in five.

-Eddman-

If this happens, I would seriously consider changing my $15 donation to the $100 or $250 reward.

I would also love to see Gabe or even notch becoming the $50,000 character.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't know, I think that's too long for an adventure game. I'd prefer it to be 7-8 hours, and with the possibility of sequels or entirely new games. But the time really comes down to the player. Some people could take hours and hours, others may get it done in five.

Most adventure games that aren't episodic in scope (aka, very small stories and worlds and don't feel like full adventures) are around the 8-15 hour range. 20 is pretty rare and can be too long, whereas 2-5 hours usually feels short and works better for episodic.

I'd really love for a full length adventure like the old days that took place across many locations and a had a full novel-like story told over 8-10 hours.

GABDEG

If it's as original as Grim Fandango, Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle I might piss myself from anticipation. Another adventure with a million dollar budget is about the best thing I can imagine gaming-wise atm.

Most adventure games that aren't episodic in scope (aka, very small stories and worlds and don't feel like full adventures) are around the 8-15 hour range. 20 is pretty rare and can be too long, whereas 2-5 hours usually feels short and works better for episodic.

Damn, I guess I just finished them quickly, haha. Most games I play are typically done within 8 hours. Very, very rarely do I play one that lasts longer. In the case of LucasArts' game, it's around 5 hours.

Sloane

Banned
Damn, I guess I just finished them quickly, haha. Most games I play are typically done within 8 hours. Very, very rarely do I play one that lasts longer. In the case of LucasArts' game, it's around 5 hours.
If you know exactly what you're supposed to do. As a child / teenager, I've played some adventure games for weeks. Monkey Island 2, Indy FoA, for example.

If you know exactly what you're supposed to do. As a child / teenager, I've played some adventure games for weeks. Monkey Island 2, Indy FoA, for example.

But even when I don't know what I'm doing. I mean, it can be a brand new one and it seems like I fly through it. I don't feel like I'm rushing. I talk to all the characters I encounter, for example. As a kid these games never took too long, maybe a week and that's because I didn't actually have a computer. I had to play them at a friends place.

Anth0ny

For perspective, the AVGN fundraiser goal was $75,000, and they ended up with close to $350,000 in the end. No doubt this will crack $1 million, probably closer to $2 million when it's finished.

I really don't mind if it's not much more than 4-5hrs in length. Thats what I'd pay for a $15 game and I'd rather see ideas and originality of a Doublefine product than hours of gameplay.

Either way, it's a feel good story!!

I think every game should be publicly funded that way we can get kameo 2 and Shenmue 3

Shit if I was employeed right now I would easily drop $200 into the pot

JonCha

I want to donate, but I own a Mac so I'm tempted to wait for it to go over $400k before I donate as surplus funds are going to that port.

Omikaru

This is actually amazing. I can't believe they've raised so much while I slept.

I'll have to check my finances before I pledge anything, but I'm hoping to contribute $100, possibly even $250 if I can.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it hits 40 million, they could give them to Ron Gilbert so he could buy the rights for the Monkey Island series, and then create Monkey Island 3: Return of the Pirate.

Khezu

I love double fine.

Also looking around kickstarter is weird, that stick figure comic raised like 500k.

Feep

Banned
I want to donate, but I own a Mac so I'm tempted to wait for it to go over $400k before I donate as surplus funds are going to that port.
Here's the thing about addition: it doesn't matter where your particular number is located in the chain.

GABDEG

I love double fine.

Also looking around kickstarter is weird, that stick figure comic raised like 500k.

Who is Molly?

Molly is the latest addition to the Ollyfactory family.
She is a module that turns your tweets into sweets by counting how many times you get retweeted, then releasing a tasty candy when a number you've set is reached.
You can stack Molly and Olly together to release sweets and smells.
You can set Molly to count a number of re-tweets with our simple app.
First thing I've looked at. Yep that is pretty weird.

JonCha

Here's the thing about addition: it doesn't matter where your particular number is located in the chain.

True, and I actually thought that as soon as I posted. Donation away!

Edit: can't donate, keep getting thrown back to the pledge. Something to do with living in the UK and not using amazon.com?

I do think they miss the point of Kickstarters don't see why they couldn't do this them self

The point is that they couldn't.

They don't want to go through a publisher. They want to try a new approach.

That is the entire point of Kickstarter. A new approach to fundraising.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I do think they miss the point of Kickstarters don't see why they couldn't do this them self

Because no publisher is wanting to touch them in regards to pitching an idea about an old P&C adventure game. Isn't that what kickstarters are in the first place? To bypass the gap of corporations who wave the money in front of the creators and getting the end product out to those who support you in the first place.

I see no problem with this; I pay my dues and I get the game and Double Fine gain the money in advantage to help finance the creation of said game. There are differing levels of how much you want to contribute where you gain additional "prizes" for this.

If you read the text and watched the video you would understand why they are doing this and why it is reaching its financial goal in less than 12hrs. There is obviously an audience for the product but publishers who see the $$$ in shooters or whatever want otherwise.

Top Bottom