• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

Jintor

There's like over a thousand $100 donators... I really hope they don't skimp out on the credits sequence. I want my name in there, damnit!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I so wanna get them to 1 million, hopefully I pledge near there

How awesome would it be to pledge them money that surpasses them OVER 9000!!!! Over $1,000,000, hella awesome to me, get there stat, I need to pump $30

Mista Koo

Proud to be part of this :D

Now I need to play Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion too). Now where will I find that Grim Fandango disc we had 10 years ago?

mclem

I wake up. I read this. I think "Hey, I'd contribute to that!". I look at the site. They're already there.

Holy shit, that was effective. I'll probably still throw some money their way (wondering if I'm tempted by one of those posters), but glad to see it was a success so rapidly.

eXistor

Done and done. DF is my favorite dev and I would kill for an oldskool adventure by these guys. Pledged $250 just now.

I think this is pretty amazing and I'm sure we'll see more kickstarter projects like this for games gamers want but don't seem profitable for publishers. Imagine the possibilites.
It's just a shame that many old teams of amazing games had people who are not in the business anymore or are scattered.
I'm still deciding between 15 or 30.

Non gaming, but kickstarter related:
A few weeks ago I found out about how kickstarter launched the production of miniature retro style figures (like the oldschool Monster in My Pocket series). All the designs and sculpts were made by forum users and voted on by forum users.
The result: http://octobertoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/omfg1group1.jpg
As a kid who loved Exogini's and Monster in My Pocket I think this is really awesome and I'm looking forward to the 2nd series.

mclem

Looking through earlier in the thread...

Well, there will obviously be bumps when this appears in popular places like GAF, RPS, whatever else in the coming days, I think it's still too early to tell if they'll manage the 400k. Though they'll probably go ahead with it even if it's just a bit less than that.

I'd love to see a graph of how the money came in over time. And yeah, you guys still have Europe to come!

Mabase

Sweet, I guess this is just the testrun for financing Psychonauts 2. End of the year we'll be pledging toward that sweet baby... :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Looking through earlier in the thread...

I'd love to see a graph of how the money came in over time. And yeah, you guys still have Europe to come!

And then the wave of general media coverage (podcasts, for example) in the coming week. This thing still has legs.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Will be donating $100 to this magnificent project.

Now if only Garriot would start a kickstarter run for the next (single-player) Ultima ...

What is funny is that this probably was a test case for Kickstarter for even bigger projects (like Psychonauts 2) and it was a weird coincidence that Notch was like "YO WANNA MAKE PSYCHONAUTS 2" on the same day. It is obvious they had planned out this Kickstarter for a while.

mclem

I wish I was a fly on the wall of Tim's office right now. I suspect he may be dancing on his desk in his undies while refreshing the kickstarter site.

...actually, I take back that wish

Darkkn

I would be all over kickstarter stuff if pledges were considered as proper investments with return on investment money if the project makes profit.

Nice to see this doing well. Can't wait to play a Double Fine made adventure game.

I wish I was a fly on the wall of Tim's office right now. I suspect he may be dancing on his desk in his undies while refreshing the kickstarter site.

...actually, I take back that wish

i hope those 2 Player Production cameras have been rolling since they put the project up :D

I would be all over kickstarter stuff if pledges were considered as proper investments with return on investment money if the project makes profit.
Nice to see this doing well. Can't wait to play a Double Fine made adventure game.

Thats what stocks and shares are for :D this is a donation for charity.

thefro

Well, even if you don't want to donate extra money, $15 for the game + documentary + beta of the game + developer's forum is really fair.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
For some reason I get the phrase "this functionality has been disabled for your account" when attempting to fund this. Pretty annoying. Not entirely sure why.

Holy fund raising Batman! Tim got his goal in like 8 hours and about to hit half a million!

Glad I'm apart of it, donated my 15 dollars, can't wait to see what the actual game is.

Twitter has blown up between Notch and Tim, Notch thankfully confirmed it's not Psychonauts 2 as they will discuss that at GDC, their banter with fans has been cracking me up. Both those guys seem really down to Earth.

Darkkn

Well, even if you don't want to donate extra money, $15 for the game + documentary + beta of the game + developer's forum is really fair.

True, i might go for that. Pledges over 15$ are pretty much donations tho. Great deal for DF. Why go for loans if you can pledge for free money? :) Again, i don't want to complain, since i really want to see this game, but the whole kickstarter thing in general is a bit... onerous in my opinion.

True, i might go for that. Pledges over 15$ are pretty much donations tho. Great deal for DF. Why go for loans if you can pledge for free money? :) Again, i don't want to complain, since i really want to see this game, but the whole kickstarter thing in general is a bit... onerous in my opinion.

If people are willing to invest more in to a project they feel passionate about I don't think there's much room for controversy. Tim and DF have a certain connection with the gaming community.

Not many people could pull this off - you certainly wouldn't see people doing it for EA etc!

Aaron

Hell no. Because once you become beholden to stockholders, you become EA. I want Double Fine to make the game they want to make, and not be focused on maximizing their profits.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
IReKb.png

KuGsj.gif
lolol. He's great.

Top Bottom