• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

vareon

I would be all over kickstarter stuff if pledges were considered as proper investments with return on investment money if the project makes profit.

Nice to see this doing well. Can't wait to play a Double Fine made adventure game.

Kickstarter is a donation mechanic, not investment. There would be a risk to the investment, which would make less people investing, which is not the point of donating.

The only "downside" to ultra-successful Kickstarters like this is that there would be too many projects inspired by the success. But I really hope not!

Munin

I think it is a bit naive to believe that money will keep coming in at the same rate now that it is "officially funded". But 1 mil would be nice.

SparkTR

I think it is a bit naive to believe that money will keep coming in at the same rate now that it is "officially funded". But 1 mil would be nice.

Apparently money comes in the fastest within the last 72 hours with these Kickstart projects, but yeah it'll slow down soon.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
For some reason I get the phrase "this functionality has been disabled for your account" when attempting to fund this. Pretty annoying. Not entirely sure why.

Had the same thing. Make a new account. I heard that people who messed around with Amazon's Mechanical Turk have issues like that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
holy cow! this is amazing.

what's really exciting to me is that this sets a precedent that other developers can look to. in effect, if there's a highly desired game that seems risky or that a publisher isn't sure the public really wants, the opportunity to help support those projects and put our support behind them could be made available. that is crazy awesome.

JordanKZ

Something makes me think that this isn't going to stop till it hits like $600 or $700K. That would be awesome. I put down $40 earlier on today and it's great to see this actually happening.

Haunted

holy fucking shit at the time it took to reach the goal.

Schafer and the rest of Double Fine are so beloved in the community.

thefro

Something makes me think that this isn't going to stop till it hits like $600 or $700K. That would be awesome. I put down $40 earlier on today and it's great to see this actually happening.

It'll slow down but they'll get over a million easily. A lot of people who will put down their $15 to basically preorder.

There will be another rush on it right before it closes as well.

Haunted

revfM.png

feels good.

Spookie

Hey guys just before going to bed I heard about this Kickstarter thing going on with Doub...

Jesus.

Oh well threw in my $30 as well, can't afford the $100 but I should give something after all!

Spookie

I would've paid $15 just to see that 4 minute pitch video, btw.

Just finished watching that. I now feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Steam should put up the double fine bundle though something this week to celebrate the fact we like giving Double Fine money.

deleted

The Video is great. I'm really interested in the behind the scenes stuff.

These days, it seems like Adventure games are almost a bit of a lost art form. They exist in our dreams, our memories and in ... Germany.
Ha!

I wonder if other companies will use this for smaller scale operations.
Like porting a game to PC or from PC to consoles.
I would pay in advance to see a PC port for some games this gen.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
While I can't personally pledge (mainly because there would be no point, as I have no way to play the game), I'm super happy for Double Fine here.

Also, I think the $10k+ people like Gabe, Notch, Felicia Day, etc. should be credited as Executive Producers or something, just because it'd be amazing to see those three names next to each other in the credits of a game. :lol

Berordn

If they get 1 MIL they should I dunno... release Grim Fandango for free?

Kind of hoping that they'll buy the rights to Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion and Grim Fandango if the game does well. Monkey Island too, but I imagine Lucasarts doesn't want to let that one go as long as they're making money on DD for the special editions.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, we need some Troy Baker or JYB in this bitch

Troy Baker, YES PLEASE, JYB, NOOOOO. As cool of a guy as he is (I've talked to him on a couple of occasions), he's terribly overused in video games these days and has almost no vocal range to boot. I can only remember one game where I thought "Oh wow, that was JYB?", and that's Fragile. Even the Southern accented guy he plays in Binary Domain is very obviously him, and also a good example of how bad he sounds when he tries to do a voice outside his usual range.

/end rant

Top Bottom