• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dove takes a stand against overly sexualized women in video games

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah, let's make unhealthy the new standard instead, that's so great.

Great Job Ok GIF

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think that anyone who doesn't have double-digit IQ will understand the difference without being anal about precise wording.

I've seen many people just toss around the word fat. Just look in any average Horizon Forbidden West thread on GAF for instance. They say Aloy is now fat.

Roxkis_ii

Bro, this has to be outrage marketing. They knew this would going to piss people off. Now people are going to write articles about Dove pissing people off, and Dove is going to get a shit load of free press and word of mouth.

People are being played like a fiddle.

Last edited:
Bottom line. Sex sells. People spend money on attractive character skins. The designs of characters in games are not due to the people designing those games, it's due to the market and population as a whole.

If people didn't like the designs, the games wouldn't sell. So while to an extent I agree with the concerns around body image in games, players clearly across every demographic are spending money on attractive sexy skins. Until that changes, they won't stop being included in games. I mean good heavens look at Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail. Literally just selling sexy characters a racking in millions.

I will also add, and maybe this is personal.. I don't play games to be representative of who I am in real life. I play them as an escape, and choose characters that I want to pretend to embody, sure that's often unrealistic, but it is a fantasy... Why would I fantasize about being average when I could be exceptional? idk. I'm just rambling at this point, but I think this discussion ultimately boils down to.. Society is willing to financially support sexy designs, and so the sexy designs will continue.

mckmas8808

Bro, this has to be outrage marketing. They knew this would going to piss people off. Now people are going to write articles about Dove pissing people off, and Dove is going to get a shit load of free press and word of mouth.

People are being played like a fiddle.

I think you are 100% right. And what group to target better than a bunch of weebo video game nerds that are on social media and video game forums. Some kind of way I've already gotten Dove ads on my other tabs being displayed.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Bottom line. Sex sells. People spend money on attractive character skins. The designs of characters in games are not due to the people designing those games, it's due to the market and population as a whole.

Good point. If the market and players want it, sell it. I will support this MTX experiment.

See how many skins get bought of fat, obese, triple necked biscuits suckers. And even though they have loads more skin they only count as one still.

I don't believe in body shaming anyone, that's just a gross excuse to be a dick. I do however believe in encouraging everyone to become a healthy version of themselves. That's where friends and family come in. It's not, and never should be, a game's job to make a person feel good about themselves. That's just absurd.

I guess this is good news as we are officially out of real problems.
In case it's not obvious at this point - Perpetual Victimhood - Perpetual Profit$
For any company that pulls these moves, stop buying their products - including their parent divisions and subsidiaries. That's the only way this kind of stuff will cease, when it's not profitable to do so.

Markio128

If they’re going to be promoting obesity, then on their packaging, why don’t they go the full hog and have a fat bird with a ciggie in one hand and pint of lager in the other?

NickFire

The video is hilarious IMO. I hope for the sequel Dove takes on picture filters next. And then lingerie. Give me a 1-2 minute sizzle reel of +++ size models fighting back against anything you want, by wrapping themselves in 10*10 tarps before jumping on top of 140lb fellas. And don't laugh cause this is an important issue. If guys can wear baggy sweat pants without judgment, +++ size models should be allowed to look sexy wearing camping tarps. Science.

OCASM

Banned
Funnily enough, when Marvel did flip this in Avengers End Game, with a badly out-of-shape Thor, a lot of men I know said they really didn't like it. And these are guys who were being - how shall I put it? - more fairly represented by Endgame Thor than they ever were by the previous God-bod Thor.

It was a really interesting moment. Men are seemingly less keen to see their flabby dad-bods up on the screen.
What they didn't like was treating a man's PTSD as a joke.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Yeah it’s escapism, I love playing as a beefy hunk of a man in games, have no interest what so ever to play as the sad gray man in old man glasses with back issues that I am at this point.

And I really don’t understand these people who want to play as themselves in games. What’s the deal, for real? I mean this representation thing will only work for NPCs anyway. Imagine if they had this lovely lady getting sliced in half in the latest Mortal Kombat CGI. Would that fly? Nope.
Fat-ality :messenger_winking:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
"Fat" is subjective. There's no objective hard line on what people call fat. The term gets used inconsistently all the time.

We can all agree on the far end of the scale(s), but where it begins is opinion, not science.

Just because retards misuse the word doesn't mean that the word somehow becomes subjective. It is absolutely a science on where fat begins and ends.

mckmas8808

So your argument is that a handful of retards can't tell what fat is? That somehow proves that fat is subjective? Seek help.

You are calling them retards. I call them the "average person". It happens all the time. Fat is subjective.

EDMIX

You are calling them retards. I call them the "average person". It happens all the time. Fat is subjective.

Agreed.

The idea of "fat" is something that differs from culture to culture, country to country, person to person. Now if we are talking about the clinical definition of obese lol Even that I believe differs from country to country. Someone's "thick" could be someone's BBW and so on.

The only thing I would change about that ad is to have a MASSIVE dust cloud when she lands the second time :p

Seriously companies, no one wants to play a tubby flabby couch potato that somehow just happens to be able to leap tall buildings, fight non stop for hours, and can bench a small truck.

This really does drive home the psychological theory that males take the characteristics of their toys upon themselves (i.e. they see themselves as Batman and act like Batman) while females impress THEIR attributes on their toys (i.e. Wonder Woman acts like the girl playing).

How else to explain that guys WANT a fit competent, awesome avatar, male OR female, in games yet anything trying to appeal to girls suddenly has to have every body option imaginable lest fewwings get hurt?

Pretty much this lol

As A fit naturally thin guy under 10 l percent bf...I kinda resent the fact that they act as if physically capable bodytypes arent "real", and the "real" ones are ALWAYS overweight lol

mckmas8808

Pretty much this lol

As A fit naturally thin guy under 10 l percent bf...I kinda resent the fact that they act as if physically capable bodytypes arent "real", and the "real" ones are ALWAYS overweight lol

This is my biggest issue with DOVE too. They are over-correcting here and I don't see the long-term goal that they could be trying to achieve. I'm not even sure how many obese people are happy that they are doing this.

-Zelda-

Banned
Did they also take a stand against Dove candy that causes people to over eat and get fat and have diabetes? of course not. Fat is the new beautiful and healthy in this warped world we live in now.

Top Bottom