• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 Console Intro Gameplay [Update3: Varric Reveal 285]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
New threads for new info.

Edit:

This thread also reminds me of something I was meaning to post a while back.

For those who aren't turned off by the video, Dragon Age's lead gameplay designer went and answered 150 gameplay questions about the game: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4715441/1&lf=8

About a third of the answers are "Not finalized yet." or "Wrong department.", but that's still about a hundred questions with actual answers.

Ashodin

Whole loooooooooot of people backlashing against this style/combat, but I think I will enjoy it. I can definitely see the "evolution" of the action gameplay in this style, and it has to be said:

THIS IS A RECOUNT OF HAWKE'S TALE, IS NOT IN ANY WAY THE REAL COMBAT IN THE GAME.

Personally, I'd like if they re-named this to not be DA 2.
Have it be some offshoot.

Have DA 2 be the game that the fans really want with similar systems and style to the original. And not to speak for everyone else, have it be a sequel. I want to continue my characters story.

Aeana

Nirolak said:
You can still trigger it through the radial menu on consoles or by just clicking on PC.
Oh, that's interesting. I'd rather have that, I think, unless their action combat system is satisfying (which isn't an easy thing to do, as the myriad boring action RPGs prove).

Hoping it turns out well.

Vlodril

Still looks ugly. Maybe i have rose tinged glasses or something but that looks worse than the first one(although i did play the pc version and this was a console version i think).

Still going to get it at some point but i am wondering why its so bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VaLiancY said:
Sorry, I thought it didn't seem major to warrant a new thread.
That's fine, I just post that note in every thread I split so people know it's a split thread and don't get confused.

dionysus

Yaldog
Did the console versions play like this last time? Because that looks nothing like the gameplay from the PC version.

Dennis

Banned
DA sold more than ME or ME2. That is the strange part. Its not obvious at all that this direction is what the audience wants. I think there was a lot of excitement that we were going to get a old-school RPG with a decent budget.

It is like developers are SOOOO afraid of overestimating the intelligence of their audience. Dumb it down, baby!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
dionysus said:
Did the console versions play like this last time? Because that looks nothing like the gameplay from the PC version.

Negative. It used a radial menu (which still is probably in) with the same combat system as the PC version, instead of this "quick recharge-quick power usage". The "action level" is what has changed.

As someone else said, this looks a hell of a lot more like Dynasty Warriors than I think I'm comfortable with.

1194842827439.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
VaLiancY said:
Sorry, I thought it didn't seem major to warrant a new thread.

The very first gameplay footage for a radically altered sequel to a huge title? Where the discussion and speculation surrounding said changes, with only Bioware PR to go by until now, has spanned many threads already?

Interesting.

RickA238

Dragon Age was the first traditional RPG they released since Neverwinter Nights in 2002 (2003 if you consider KOTOR to be "traditional"-I do not.). Six years without a traditional RPG is proof positive that they want to move away from the genre, as far as I'm concerned. Disregarding DA: Origins, they've become an increasingly action/TPS-over-RPG developer:

KOTOR->Jade Empire->Mass Effect->Mass Effect 2

eXistor

I'm not saying the game can't still be fun, but wow: way to take a new and succesful franchise and basterdize it within the year.

Vinci

Danish
I don't see why they altered it so heavily. I mean, it sold well and was a great game the first time around.

Zeliard

If they want the series to be more mainstream and focused on the typical gamer, they should simply come out and say that. Their descriptions of DA2 include terms like "action-packed", "fast-paced", "streamlined", "Tactical View 2.0" - all the while stating things like "we want to limit the PC camera due to the texturing" - and it just comes off as disingenuous at best.

dionysus

Yaldog
Arde5643 said:
Just to point out guys, this part of the scene was the part the dwarf bard exaggerated.

You think the rest of the game plays differently than this? They arent going to make an ARPG battle system for just a small portion of the game, this part is an ARPG (that looks like dynasty warriors) so the rest of the game will be an ARPG.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Arde5643 said:
Just to point out guys, this part of the scene was the part the dwarf bard exaggerated.
Understood but the complaint isnt the amount of enemies on the screen. Its the combat system itself. Unless they games combat system is totally different other than for those first 15 minutes.

Vinci

Danish
water_wendi said:
Understood but the complaint isnt the amount of enemies on the screen. Its the combat system itself. Unless they games combat system is totally different other than for those first 15 minutes.

Which would be ridiculous, as dionysus pointed out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My impression of the vid, before I read any of the existing responses:

Dynasty Warriors 2 with fewer attacks, worse graphics, and 1/100th of the enemies on screen.

Strikingly inferior to ME2's attempt at action combat.

WTF is this shit.

Interfectum

RickA238 said:
Dragon Age was the first traditional RPG they released since Neverwinter Nights in 2002 (2003 if you consider KOTOR to be "traditional"-I do not.). Six years without a traditional RPG is proof positive that they want to move away from the genre, as far as I'm concerned. Disregarding DA: Origins, they've become an increasingly action/TPS-over-RPG developer:

KOTOR->Jade Empire->Mass Effect->Mass Effect 2

KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, NWN, etc all still had a good bit of depth. They were streamlining their games in a way that makes sense for an RPG or action RPG.

Mass Effect 2 is an action game with RPG fluff. It represents a major shift in how Bioware creates games and that shift is obviously influencing Dragon Age 2 as well.

This Dragon Age 2 footage looks like an abomination though. A janky Dynasty Warriors clone with blood to make it teh mature.

EviLore said:

Dynasty Warriors 2 with fewer attacks, worse graphics, and 1/100th of the enemies on screen.

WTF is this shit.

Medieval Phantasy Star Offline?

VaLiancY

EviLore said:
The very first gameplay footage for a radically altered sequel to a huge title? Where the discussion and speculation surrounding said changes, with only Bioware PR to go by until now, has spanned many threads already?

Interesting.

Well I haven't been following DA2 much lately nor the gaming section of the forum, A friend sent me this and I didn't know no knowledge that this was the first footage of gameplay.

DaBuddaDa

This looks like a huge load of shit. Every time this game gets shown, it looks worse and worse and worse.

Bioware needs to pull an NBA Elite and scrap this build and give it another year.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
EviLore said:

WTF is this shit.

... but damn, you'll feel like such a bad ass.

Flib

The PC version still has the same control method, so I'm not too worried.

More worried about how freaking ugly and boring that area looks.

Interfectum

Flib said:
The PC version still has the same control method, so I'm not too worried.

More worried about how freaking ugly and boring that area looks.

Considering this game plays vastly different than the first, I wouldn't be so sure about this anymore... or even if you'd want it at this point. A turn based Devil May Cry game doesn't sound too appealing, IMO.

Edit: And :lol at Bioware's damage control on their own forums. "but but the internet is full of haters"

Top Bottom