• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 Console Intro Gameplay [Update3: Varric Reveal 285]

Jerk

Banned
Lafiel said:
You are giving ME way to much credit there.

Agreed.

The RPG elements in ME1 were super-streamlined and downright awful at times.

It is only compared to ME2 that the game's RPG systems look robust (but still awful).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
vocab said:
The combat sucked because it forgot it was a 3rd person shooter, and forgot a cover system. Also, the spiriting in that game. Oh lord.

I'm not a fan of ME2 combat either, but at least it was better than the first one in that aspect.

yes, that's what I'm talking about. It was stat-based GOW and GOW gameplay doesn't work with stats. It looks idiotic.

subversus said:
yes, that's what I'm talking about. It was stat-based GOW and GOW gameplay doesn't work with stats. It looks idiotic.

Yes, it had nothing to do with the wonky aiming and horrible controls(things that ME2 did better than ME1). NUMBERS RUIN EVERYTHING!

Have you ever considered that some of the RPG elements in ME1(loot for example) are badly implemented as well?

vocab

subversus said:

The stats thing didn't bother me. It's not like Fallout 3 where you have a % chance to hit something. By the end of ME1 and ME2 I was a walking tank that steamrolled anything in my way, I really didn't even have to use medic gel by the end because I was barely taking damage.

subversus

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes, it had nothing to do with the wonky aiming and horrible controls(things that ME2 did better than ME1). NUMBERS RUIN EVERYTHING!

Have you ever considered that some of the RPG elements in ME1(loot for example) are badly implemented as well?

I had no problems with aiming and control as I was playing refined PC version. Numbers ruined everything, yeah. The gun shouldn't magically increase damage as I grow proficient with it. And it's not like I've seen bigger spread while shooting to justify any kind of growth in stats (except sniper rifle).

Inventory was fucked (still enjoyed tinkering with it), exploration aspect was borked (who needs to explore cookie-cutter planets and dungeons?), so there's that. Other than that nothing relates directly to RPG experience. Social interaction was good, you can do it without stats btw (see The Witcher).

Lafiel said:
You are giving ME way to much credit there.

I'm not giving it too much credit, that's exactly what it was. As far as combat goes, your combat proficiency was based on stats, and it only sucked inasmuch as your stats sucked. The only legitimate improvement ME2 brought was locational damage.

Wallach

subversus said:
that's why combat in ME1 sucked.

*ding ding ding*

Wait, hold on, I just upgraded my GUN. YES.

Now it's red. It doesn't do anything different whatsoever - it fires exactly the same way, at the same rate for the same distance with the same recoil - but the invisible damage bar went up and THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS RED. I AM PUMPED AT HOW RPG THIS RPG IS.

subversus

Wallach said:
*ding ding ding*

Wait, hold on, I just upgraded my GUN. YES.

Now it's red. It doesn't do anything different whatsoever - it fires exactly the same way, at the same rate for the same distance with the same recoil - but the invisible damage bar went up and THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS RED. I AM PUMPED AT HOW RPG THIS RPG IS.

just to get this out of the way - I never said that ME is a true rpg or something like that. I said the opposite.

so *ding ding ding* indeed

Weapon upgrade

Squad bonus +50% submachine gun damage. Upgrades the submachine guns of your entire squad.

This upgrade improves a weapon's mass effect field generator, increasing a velocity of each slug fired.

For sniper rifle:

.....increasing the mass and acceleration of each slug fired.

so there's nothing for the game to show - no improvement to recoil or fire rate, but definitely an improvement in acceleration and velocity/mass of a slug which can't be shown due to technical limitation of the game and natural limitations of the human eye. Stats are improved but you can't see it and there's a reasonable explanation for that.

There was nothing like that in the first game. In ME2 it's in the weapon and you can't see it because of the reasons I described above. In ME1 your weapon damage depends on some bar which represents your skill, but your skill isn't represented by animations of better weapon handling. So instead of doing all this for ME2 they just explained it in the way which allowed them to link RPG stats with standart shooting mechanic without doing any visible representation of stats (saving time and money).

Wallach

Maybe what I wrote was hard to interpret or something, but I was agreeing with you.

ME1's combat blows ass, and part of that has to do with how the combat interacts with the shitty RPG mechanics.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ceebs said:
You can't truly hate on a game until you play it yourself. I'll give it a spin at some point (probably a Steam sale) but they are certainly not getting my money at launch.

Hey but apparently you can love it unconditionally.

subversus

Wallach said:
Maybe what I wrote was hard to interpret or something, but I was agreeing with you.

ME1's combat blows ass, and part of that has to do with how the combat interacts with the shitty RPG mechanics.

Misunderstood then

being awake for 24 hours and 12 more hours to go

Top Bottom