• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 Console Intro Gameplay [Update3: Varric Reveal 285]

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
Maxrpg said:
Apparently not, as the images and media for the game released is terrible, and there's been NOTHING outside of the "beginning demo" area. The game is three to four months away. Where's the variety?

I don't know anything about the PR plan.

webrunner said:
There were a lot of times in the first game where I'd look at a dialog option and wonder.. "is this joking? is this confrontative? maybe it's dismissive?" and have no clue what the actual statement would be.

In many ways Mass Effect was better at indicating, since by giving a shortened idea it often conveyed the tone better.

OMG wtf. That's actually a good thing. It required you to use your reading comprehension. Mass Effect's dialog system in comparison was too simple. Everything was either good...or it was bad. Either good...or bad. And the responses were always in the same area too.

Bleah. This is one of the worst things about Dragon Age 2 for me, making the conversations stupid. People don't like reading anymore or something? Everybody who didn't like Dragon Age 1 complained either about the combat or the 'reading'.

But yeah to the employee...good luck on the project man.

DSN2K

we need to see more of this game, its out in March...not exactly long time away and we have seen hardly anything, and the worry for me and many others is what we have seen so far is not stand out fantastic...where are the HD gameplay footage ? It's no wonder people are moaning so much, they are having to base there expectations off cam youtube vids.

If the game is going to be great, show why already!!

McNerdBurger said:
I work at Bioware. I know a lot of you are pissed that the game is shifting more towards an action RPG, but I assure you, it's still DA. When I first heard about the changes and saw the early gameplay I honestly said the exact same thing "omg dynasty warriors". Now that it's all coming together, I can tell you that it's basically DA combat at a quicker pace, with clearer feedback and a more stylized aesthetic.

Obviously some of you aren't happy about the aesthetic you've seen so far, and wish we were sticking with a more traditional fantasy art style and sense of physics. This really just comes down to personal preference though, so all we can really do is make the game we want and hope that people like it. You have to realize that the people behind these games want to do something different on a project to project basis. We're always trying to move forward, but sometimes we might just move sideways because we feel like trying a new style.

The gameplay has really become a very interesting hybrid that is playable in multiple ways. You can play it almost exactly like DA:O if you like: pausing and giving commands, jumping between party members, fine tuning tactics, choosing from hundreds (I think... must be up there) of different abilities.
Or....
You can play it more like an action-rpg, sticking mostly to a single character, and really focusing on their unique skills. I think many people (maybe the majority of those on console?), will find themselves playing this way. Honestly I may do both, depending on what mood I'm in that night. I'm currently spending my free time playing through DA:O again, as well as my first run-through of The Witcher. They're both great games with very different combat styles. I'm always surprised though to see people upset at Bioware injecting some action into our RPG, while being perfectly happy with The Witcher. The fact that the combat is simple and rhythm-based, and that it has almost no equipment customization doen't take away from the immersion of it's story and the depth of it's atmosphere. CD Projekt understands that RPGs can be many things, and did exactly what they wanted, with great success.

As usual, we have difficulty settings that will let you decide exactly how much strategy is needed. If you play on normal and complain that the game didn't require any strategic thinking, well, jack it up next time. I'm not responsible for any of this kind of balancing so I really don't know how it'll all be set up when the game ships.

Sorry about the giant post. I normally just lurk, but felt I should chime in to let you guys know that we're still making a Dragon Age game, and that I think the fears about dynasty warriorizing will calm once you see it in more depth. Hopefully that's soon... I'm also not in charge of marketing :)

Witcher's combat was an issue and CD Prejekt is taking steps to address it. With DA on the other hand, combat was its strength and from what we've seen so far, it's being completely retooled through the elimination of features. Anyways...as much as I don't like the current direction, none of us know the quality of the finished product. However, your PR is doing a horrible job with this (at least towards the PC audience). There has been no official gameplay footage (just CGI trailers- the offscreen gameplay vids that don't show the product in the best light), screenshots that look horrible and impressions from media that read more like "features we're taking away from DA:O" but spun like it's a positive.

Ceebs

Gully State said:
Witcher's combat was an issue and CD Prejekt is taking steps to address it. With DA on the other hand, combat was its strength and from what we've seen so far, it's being completely retooled through the elimination of features. Anyways...as much as I don't like the current direction, none of us know the quality of the finished product. However, your PR is doing a horrible job with this (at least towards the PC audience). There has been no official gameplay footage (just CGI trailers- the offscreen gameplay vids that don't show the product in the best light), screenshots that look horrible and impressions from media that read more like "features we're taking away from DA:O" but spun like it's a positive.
Add to this the reception of Bioware's last sequel that was "streamlined". There is not a lot to get excited for here if you enjoyed the original at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DSN2K said:
we need to see more of this game, its out in March...not exactly long time away and we have seen hardly anything, and the worry for me and many others is what we have seen so far is not stand out fantastic...where are the HD gameplay footage ? It's no wonder people are moaning so much, they are having to base there expectations off cam youtube vids.

I went to check if they had an update on that.

BioWare said:
Person said:
Has anyone around the office given any indication when they hope to put official gameplay videos out?
Soon. Quite soon.
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5286401&lf=8#5295096

I'd guess this week, since the last time they said something like this a trailer came out the next day. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday as that's when most trailers go out.

Wallach

Ceebs said:
Add to this the reception of Bioware's last sequel that was "streamlined". There is not a lot to get excited for here if you enjoyed the original at all.

I'm pretty sure the widespread reception of Bioware's last streamlined sequel was pretty good. If that's the terrible fate awaiting DA2 I imagine they aren't really concerned.

Kittonwy

Banned
McNerdBurger said:
I work at Bioware. I know a lot of you are pissed that the game is shifting more towards an action RPG, but I assure you, it's still DA. When I first heard about the changes and saw the early gameplay I honestly said the exact same thing "omg dynasty warriors". Now that it's all coming together, I can tell you that it's basically DA combat at a quicker pace, with clearer feedback and a more stylized aesthetic.

Obviously some of you aren't happy about the aesthetic you've seen so far, and wish we were sticking with a more traditional fantasy art style and sense of physics. This really just comes down to personal preference though, so all we can really do is make the game we want and hope that people like it. You have to realize that the people behind these games want to do something different on a project to project basis. We're always trying to move forward, but sometimes we might just move sideways because we feel like trying a new style.

The gameplay has really become a very interesting hybrid that is playable in multiple ways. You can play it almost exactly like DA:O if you like: pausing and giving commands, jumping between party members, fine tuning tactics, choosing from hundreds (I think... must be up there) of different abilities.
Or....
You can play it more like an action-rpg, sticking mostly to a single character, and really focusing on their unique skills. I think many people (maybe the majority of those on console?), will find themselves playing this way. Honestly I may do both, depending on what mood I'm in that night. I'm currently spending my free time playing through DA:O again, as well as my first run-through of The Witcher. They're both great games with very different combat styles. I'm always surprised though to see people upset at Bioware injecting some action into our RPG, while being perfectly happy with The Witcher. The fact that the combat is simple and rhythm-based, and that it has almost no equipment customization doen't take away from the immersion of it's story and the depth of it's atmosphere. CD Projekt understands that RPGs can be many things, and did exactly what they wanted, with great success.

As usual, we have difficulty settings that will let you decide exactly how much strategy is needed. If you play on normal and complain that the game didn't require any strategic thinking, well, jack it up next time. I'm not responsible for any of this kind of balancing so I really don't know how it'll all be set up when the game ships.

Sorry about the giant post. I normally just lurk, but felt I should chime in to let you guys know that we're still making a Dragon Age game, and that I think the fears about dynasty warriorizing will calm once you see it in more depth. Hopefully that's soon... I'm also not in charge of marketing :)

Welcome to gaf.

On a more serious note, is there any way to have Isabella killed off right at the beginning of the game because she's a hideous-looking character and needs to die.
Indifferent2.gif

McNerdBurger said:
Thanks, you'd be surprised how much small sentiments like this help when you're working long hours.

I'm probably a member of the silent minority in that I played DA:O on a console, 360 specifically, and loved it to death and am really looking forward to DA2. Keep your head up I guess. I don't mean to be a dick, but your PR department hasn't done the troops on the ground like you any favors. The GI screens did not exactly invite excitement and the PC Baldurs Gate guys have understandable reason for concern. Just remember some of us are still faithful.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm currently playing it on the Xbox as well, and my issue with it has nothing to do with the combat. I just struggle to stay interested. I just find the thing a bit boring. How big part of the story is the "gather an army" aspect of it? I gathered two out of the four now (Redcliff and the Dalish elves), and currenty doing the Orzammar part.

I don't know if I should keep playing or not. I had more fun with Sacred 2, to be honest. And I loved Mass Effect 2.

Sullen

If it ends up somewhere like KOTOR (still able to jump between chars, pause, etc) then I'll be okay with it. If it ends up like Mass Effect (unable to jump characters, shallow combat and customization) then I'll be irritated and avoid

Mr_Zombie

Is the information about not being able to change your companion's outfit confirmed? ecause if so, that sucks. I hated that in ME2 and I know I will hate that in DA2 :/

I can understand that an artist worked hard on characters designs, their clothing included, so BioWare would want players to really appreciate that (and not replace those clothes within first few minutes with a better armor) but then why can't it be like in ME1 where on Normandy/camp your party wears their default clothes but during the battle/exploration they wear what you make them wear? In ME2 seeing half-naked Jack or Miranda and Samara with their big cleavage exploring uncharted planets was plain retarded.

glaurung

Sullen said:
If it ends up somewhere like KOTOR (still able to jump between chars, pause, etc) then I'll be okay with it. If it ends up like Mass Effect (unable to jump characters, shallow combat and customization) then I'll be irritated and avoid
I can agree with that.

However, the Eastern Europe game play videos have shown that you can actually jump characters. Remains to be seen whether that sticks.

I don't know what they did to this game but the graphics still look like shit since day 1. There is just something that I hate about them and the character design.

Why couldn't they leave as how DA:O was? The game did just fine the way it is.

As someone already said, they ruined ME2 and now this. I wonder if this also has the shit ass RPG system like ME2 where XP doesn't really matter, it's the same amount of XP to go from level 1 to 2 or level 25 to 26 and no matter what quest you do, you get the same amount of XP. The loot is 20 different weapons in the entire fucking game.

FUCK.

DSN2K said:

Sullen said:

Basically this.

Patryn

McNerdBurger said:

Or....

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I still fail to see how a game can be balanced for playing both action RPG style and tactical style.

I'll freely admit that I'm worried it'll become another Awakenings, where it requires no brain whatsoever, and is so boring that I stopped playing towards the end.

I'll buy the game, but at this point I'm expecting an OK game that doesn't really work for me in the same way that ME2 felt so hollow.

I'm sure the changes you guys are making are going to be loved, but you guys were the last ones blending the stat-heavy stuff that I love (but can still get with Euro RPGS) with characters with a personality (which most Euro RPGs seem to be lacking). It just makes me sad that it's clear that you guys have no longer have an interest in making the sort of games I'm interested in.

webrunner

Discotheque said:
OMG wtf. That's actually a good thing. It required you to use your reading comprehension. Mass Effect's dialog system in comparison was too simple. Everything was either good...or it was bad. Either good...or bad. And the responses were always in the same area too.

Bleah. This is one of the worst things about Dragon Age 2 for me, making the conversations stupid. People don't like reading anymore or something? Everybody who didn't like Dragon Age 1 complained either about the combat or the 'reading'.

But yeah to the employee...good luck on the project man.

Reading Comprehension doesn't help when the sentence being read is inherently ambiguous without tone.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
McNerdBurger said:

Or....

thanks for the post.

While I can understand people trying something new because it's boring to do the same thing over and over again I still don't like the art style. Not because it's different but because it's still not original enough. Demon's Souls was set in the fantasy setting, it had dragons and skeletons but there were some really bizzare creatures. But I wish you were gone even further than Demons Souls in design because it was still generic in many areas. For example Kunari look like another demon with horns now. Why? Is there not enough stuff like that in books, videogames and literature? Well, whatever, you still need to sell this game to the large crowd I guess.

Also removing some customization options like armor and anything like that is a big drawback to any RPG. I still hope that you can give your companion an armor even in one piece. Customization doesn't make the game complicated, it makes the game more interesting. You can stick to wearing generic armors and still win but let other people tinker with it.

It may be ok to reduce scope for the sake of more cinematic approach (like removing origins for example), if you want to make games like that, but it's not ok to reduce options. I hope you guys understand that.

McNerdBurger said:

Or....

Faster combat is probably the least of the concerns I and probably others have. I would think that being able to play different races, equip your party members as you see fit, not be strictly limited to certain weapons based on class, playing in true isometric view, etc.. will be missed even more.

smenden18

Neo Member
Anasui Kishibe said:
crows will be eaten, no worries

I'd like to believe that, but I'm afraid the majority of the people complaining aren't going to be happy unless the game turns out the way they want it. Look at all the ME2 hate...

Azih

Bah, the first Dragon Age caused GAF to go through the same hysteria when the first EXTREME METAL BLOOD trailers were shown.

Early peek trailers of Bioware games are not meant for the GAF crowd. That's about it. There's very little known about how the game will play right now and there's nothing to overreact about.

smenden18 said:
I'd like to believe that, but I'm afraid the majority of the people complaining aren't going to be happy unless the game turns out the way they want it. Look at all the ME2 hate...

oh, Gaf has a fascination for Bioware, don't be worried about that. They will all secretly play it if it turns out to be good (and it will)

Yasae

Banned
McNerdBurger said:
I'm always surprised though to see people upset at Bioware injecting some action into our RPG, while being perfectly happy with The Witcher.
The Witcher did not have a template with which to compare like DA2 does. Even the first game had a template: BG2, KOTOR and the like.

There's nothing surprising at all.

vocab

EvaPlusMinus said:
Damn you guys are some whiny bitches

daot-ani01.gif

Anasui Kishibe said:
oh, Gaf has a fascination for Bioware, don't be worried about that. They will all secretly play it if it turns out to be good (and it will)

Us CRPG goers will play it, but if it sucks balls, it will be known pretty fast.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anasui Kishibe said:
Ha tell yourself that. ill be playing DA2 along with ME1&2 and CoD1-8 if the streams confirm what is suspected.

Jerk

Banned
smenden18 said:

I like how y'all make the 'haters' sound unreasonable.

zlatko

Banned
I really hope this doesn't turn into another ME1 to ME2 transition for Bioware. ME1 was so good, but ME2 stripped the RPG away---difficulty didn't make the game harder or more thought based either because of how little there was to influence the fights as you played in that game.

I'm just now playing through DAO and this game is amazing. If DA2 does go that route that ME2 took I'll be disheartened, but not to a great degree. ME2 was a GOOD game, but ME1 was a GREAT game. Downgrading the awesome parts and calling it "stream lining" just sounds like being a lazy developer who wants to cater to action junkies and not RPG junkies.

Jerk 2.0 said:
I like how y'all make the 'haters' sound unreasonable.
Straw-manning is the only sophisticated way to argue, you see.

Also it is insane to think something is good but flawed at the same time or have expectations of any kind. INSANE I SAY!

Wallach

Fimbulvetr said:
Straw-manning is the only sophisticated way to argue, you see.

Also it is insane to think something is good but flawed at the same time or have expectations of any kind. INSANE I SAY!

The most flammable and successful quarterback there ever was.

RedSwirl

Is this game really coming out in February 2011? I haven't even started my copy of Dragon Age Origins yet. Do I still have time?

epmode

zlatko said:
I really hope this doesn't turn into another ME1 to ME2 transition for Bioware. ME1 was so good, but ME2 stripped the RPG away---difficulty didn't make the game harder or more thought based either because of how little there was to influence the fights as you played in that game.

I'm just now playing through DAO and this game is amazing. If DA2 does go that route that ME2 took I'll be disheartened, but not to a great degree. ME2 was a GOOD game, but ME1 was a GREAT game. Downgrading the awesome parts and calling it "stream lining" just sounds like being a lazy developer who wants to cater to action junkies and not RPG junkies.
Speaking as someone who is currently re-playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and loving every minute of it, I completely disagree with this. Mass Effect is awesome precisely because it broke away from the usual RPG slog. I much prefer it to the KOTOR-style WRPGs for babies.

You may not like its direction but Mass Effect 1 is at least honest about its intentions. It's an action game with RPG elements. ME2 absolutely went in the right direction, although it *might* have gone a little too far.

...But it sure would be nice if Bioware would go after the Baldur's Gate fans again.

McNerdBurger said:
I don't know anything about the PR plan.

Heh. The person (or persons) working the official Twitter should pay a little more lip service to their legacy titles. Not a single word about the Baldur's Gate series hitting gog.com? I think you guys are underestimating the newer fans a bit.

Smash88

Banned
I've waited this whole time to play Dragon Age: Origins (Ultimate), now that it is released, just waiting for a steam sale this Christmas, I've heard so many good things, and watched a lot of videos. This....this doesn't look like anything I've seen.

Please do not release the game in its current state, the graphics need to be drastically overhauled, especially for the PC version. The gameplay IMO seems like a dumb-downed way to appease console fans, I'm sorry but this is not what I would expect to see from something that looks so amazing and played so well on the PC, from all the videos/live streams/my friends house.

I already salute the mighty RPG fans that will take one for the team.

From Bioware's David Gaider

All I'm saying is that someone who is dead might be alive, if we feel it's worthy and have an explanation-- even if that explanation is a hand-wave. That is not to be taken as "all dead characters will have their death ignored". It's to be taken as "we will exert our narrator perogative if we feel it's necessary."

So basically they'll ignore our decisions if they feel like it.

I was on board with the changes so far. But this is might be the straw the breaks the camels back.

Patryn

Mystic Theurge said:
From Bioware's David Gaider

So basically they'll ignore our decisions if they feel like it.

I was on board with the changes so far. But this is might be the straw the breaks the camels back.

So basically our choice will matter except when they won't? Swell.

vocab

Still waiting for a decent high res screen shot from the PC version. These current screens are just hideous. And Isabella is laughable.

epmode said:
Speaking as someone who is currently re-playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and loving every minute of it, I completely disagree with this. Mass Effect is awesome precisely because it broke away from the usual RPG slog. I much prefer it to the KOTOR-style WRPGs for babies.

You may not like its direction but Mass Effect 1 is at least honest about its intentions. It's an action game with RPG elements. ME2 absolutely went in the right direction, although it *might* have gone a little too far.

...But it sure would be nice if Bioware would go after the Baldur's Gate fans again.

Mass Effect was a RPG with shooter combat based on stats. ME2 was a shooter with a few RPG elements draped over it's corpse.

Ceebs

Anasui Kishibe said:
You can't truly hate on a game until you play it yourself. I'll give it a spin at some point (probably a Steam sale) but they are certainly not getting my money at launch.

subversus

epmode said:

so much this.

subversus

Mr_Zombie said:
Hey, remember Conrad in ME2? According to him I punched him in the face. He lied.

oh FFS that was a bug. Casey even boasted in the interview about consequences of your choice with Conrad. And then it came out bugged :lol

confidence Man said:
Mass Effect was a RPG with shooter combat based on stats. ME2 was a shooter with a few RPG elements draped over it's corpse.

that's why combat in ME1 sucked.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Confidence Man said:
You are giving ME way to much credit there.

vocab

subversus said:
that's why combat in ME1 sucked.

The combat sucked because it forgot it was a 3rd person shooter, and forgot a cover system. Also, the spiriting in that game. Oh lord.

I'm not a fan of ME2 combat either, but at least it was better than the first one in that aspect.

Top Bottom