• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigfodr

If you're sensitive about spoilers to the point that you are pissed about the revelation that a side character who was in both of the previous is also in this game, then you should probably avoid all discussion of the game on internet forums entirely. That's the level of "spoiler" that exists in a 30 second TV spot.

tbh I'm more unhappy about the other character shown in that screenshot. Also the
nudity
revelation is a little more than I wanted to see.

Hawke needs more love in this thread. Superb char.

I had more fun roleplaying Hawke than any of my Wardens or Commander Shepard.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm more surprised by the inclusion of Corypheus
. I think that's the legit spoiler here.

ooooh. i totally forgot who that was, i was making a joke because the name sounds dumb

tbh I'm more unhappy about the other character shown in that screenshot. Also the
nudity
revelation is a little more than I wanted to see.

eh, i don't think the descriptors are indicative of your interactions with the npc are. at least i hope not...

adj_noun

I had more fun roleplaying Hawke than any of my Wardens or Commander Shepard.

Not everybody liked it, but I did enjoy feeling like I had greater control of who Hawke was, if only to flavor his reactions.

Of course, this boiled down to choosing the sarcastic reply for almost everything, but still.

of course
flemeth
is in this game. How could you possibly play the other two games and assume that character would have no part in this game?

Finished the 6 hour trial on Xbox One, Preloaded on Xbox One, Pre Loading as we speak on PC, Have the Inquisitor Edition coming on Xbox One, Have the normal Disc edition coming on PS4. Overboard? Maybe? Crazy? Yes!!

My dude, I feel you. I already have the deluxe edition ordered on PSN when I bought the standard PC version from GMG. Then I played through the EA Access demo and I was super close to buying a third copy on Xbox. But I've remained strong and have just decided to start over on PS4 tomorrow night.

I've just caught up on the last 15 pages of thread. Good lord, the hype has driven is insane. Meta critic worries, DRM concerns and moronic untagged spoilers. This damn game needs to release already!

Mideon

My dude, I feel you. I already have the deluxe edition ordered on PSN when I bought the standard PC version from GMG. Then I played through the EA Access demo and I was super close to buying a third copy on Xbox. But I've remained strong and have just decided to start over on PS4 tomorrow night.

I've just caught up on the last 15 pages of thread. Good lord, the hype has driven is insane. Meta critic worries, DRM concerns and moronic untagged spoilers. This damn game needs to release already!

Haha wishing I never played the early access now its made the wait even more terrible!

Panda Rin

rumor is Amazon is going to do a similar promotion to the Target B2G1F sometime in the next 36 hours. Would love to get DA:I with it.

Jawmuncher

Do we have a PC thread for this? Couldn't find one. Curious how well my system will run this.

i7 930 OC'ed to 3.2
660 TI
8 GB ram

Pretty sure you'll be good to go.
Recommended:

OS Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit
CPU AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
System RAM 8 GB
Graphics CARD AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Graphics Memory 2 GB
Hard Drive 26 GB
DirectX 11

You should be fine.

From what I've heard on the stream / in other threads you should be at or near ultra settings at 1080 with those specs.

Pretty sure you'll be good to go.
Recommended:

System RAM 8 GB
Graphics Memory 2 GB
Hard Drive 26 GB
DirectX 11

Thanks for the responses! Diving in and doing a preorder then :)

I really know nothing about the game except after reading some stuff recently and people on GAF hyping it. Loved Origins though but never touched 2.

Panda Rin

Seriously? They better ship to places other than the U.S. I hate when they region block items

Yeah, someone on the PS4 subreddit talked to CS about price-matching the Target deal, and said they would be doing a similar deal in the next few days. What that deal exactly is unknown...I know last year they had a B2G1F promotion during this week

Gvaz

Banned
Things I've noticed I don't like from watching streams:

- AI is very retarded still
- tactics is incredibly dumbed down, only 4 tactics options (more don't unlock later) total
- conversations that aren't "main" conversations are barely zoomed in when they should be like normal conversations, they're more akin to ME ship banter where you can pick an option
- you can fuck yourself out of asking questions if you choose another option (what do you think of hawke/what do you think of the hero of ferelden, picking one or the other locks you out of asking the other if you investigate deeper down a path like you normally would in ME/DA games). I'm sure some will like that, but that is an absolute unquestionable negative for me.
- some things that are clearly bugs, like dropping out of combat because of distance during a dragon fight results in your dead party members rezzing to half health but you're still in the fight.
- people are fucking retarded. "Oh you can't use this weapon? I don't get why??" *weapon is red in color, also the tooltip is in red with a clear level restriction. Cue 60 seconds later* "ohhh there's a level requirement" It's staring you in the goddamn face!
-animations are janky, some clear re-using of resources from ME like "walk side by side then the talker spins around to face the player while it zooms in on the player's face and offers a dialogue choice"
- the "orliesian/french" accents are really cringe worthy. even lilianna did better in da:eek:.
- dialogue choices have tooltips showing what the consequences of dialogue choices are. I hope this can be turned off because the answers in dialogue choices have always been fairly clear to me, if you've been paying attention to the context of the conversation at all. This too is a huge negative.
- 30fps in directed cutscenes is a huge drop, especially when the other part of the game is 60fps+. Technical bugs aside, it's a huge negative and locking the game to 30fps as a whole is not acceptable.
- I hope there is a way to turn the vignette off of everything, because that shit is always ugly
- Kind of disappointed at the fact the MC has really high res textures for clothes, and everyone else is just kind of bland. Like come on. Like varric's chest hair for example :V
- conversation wheel switches location of what is an "exit" conversation option from left to right and vice versa.
- no subtitles for party banter? yuck
- tactical camera on the pc is really touchy compared to origin's
- certain folks have armor on during cutscenes where they clearly shouldn't have, seems lazy to me

That's what I've seen so far, even so, the positive outweigh my current negatives.

Namikaze1

Just got done setting up my world state. Have one where I romanced Morrigan and went with her through the Eluvian mirror. The other is romancing Leliana and staying. I did my best to keep everything else similar to the choices I made in the previous titles. Though there were a few things I never did or missed out on.

I was surprised to see that my three Warden files were on there. Thought I had to stick with one of Bioware's crappy looking Wardens. They didn't show up when I was in the beta. Only my Hawkes did.

Killzig

Things I've noticed I don't like from watching streams:
- dialogue choices have tooltips showing what the consequences of dialogue choices are. I hope this can be turned off because the answers in dialogue choices have always been fairly clear to me, if you've been paying attention to the context of the conversation at all. This too is a huge negative.
- no subtitles for party banter? yuck.

you can turn off the hint/explainer text for dialog and there are subtitles for ambient conversation.

This can be disabled.

- no subtitles for party banter? yuck.
This can also be enabled/disabled.

hydruxo

Definitely going to go with Dorian & Varric for part of party, but it's so hard to choose between Cass, Iron Bull and Blackwall

Facism

i've got a quadcore Phenom II 810 @ 3.2ghz, a gtx 660 2GB, 8GB RAM, reckon i'll be ok with the pc version or what?

Was going to ignore the game because of the DRM but I put my big-boy pants on and realised it was a minor issue.

DeviantBoi

Dammit... I doubt I'll be able to play this at launch. I don't think I can download 40GB by Tuesday.

Why wouldn't they let us pre-load a couple of days in advance? They did it with COD.

Just got done setting up my world state. Have one where I romanced Morrigan and went with her through the Eluvian mirror. The other is romancing Leliana and staying. I did my best to keep everything else similar to the choices I made in the previous titles. Though there were a few things I never did or missed out on.

I was surprised to see that my three Warden files were on there. Thought I had to stick with one of Bioware's crappy looking Wardens. They didn't show up when I was in the beta. Only my Hawkes did.

Oh wow. Thanks for mentioning this! I was also using a default Warden because my character was not showing up, but now she's there. Awesome.

Xando

i've got a quadcore Phenom II 810 @ 3.2ghz, a gtx 660 2GB, 8GB RAM, reckon i'll be ok with the pc version or what?

Was going to ignore the game because of the DRM but I put my big-boy pants on and realised it was a minor issue.

Recommended:

System RAM 8 GB
Graphics Memory 2 GB
Hard Drive 26 GB
DirectX 11

You should be good.

cjp

- you can fuck yourself out of asking questions if you choose another option (what do you think of hawke/what do you think of the hero of ferelden, picking one or the other locks you out of asking the other if you investigate deeper down a path like you normally would in ME/DA games). I'm sure some will like that, but that is an absolute unquestionable negative for me.

That sounds horrendous.

Facism

Recommended:

System RAM 8 GB
Graphics Memory 2 GB
Hard Drive 26 GB
DirectX 11

You should be good.

sound looks like i'll make a trip to Mexico tomorrow.

Ushay

Haha wishing I never played the early access now its made the wait even more terrible!
Tell me about it, its maddening. I was in Haven speaking to all the regular crafting folks and understanding all the game mechanics and then BAM I get kicked out. I am sooooo going to change my region tomorrow and play when it goes up in East Asia.
This game is great so far. The sound in particular is amazing.
EA Access right? Yes the sound track (and sound in general) is superb.

DylanTheVillain

Neo Member
Is anyone knowledgeable in graphics cards? I have a 3 year old Radeon HD 6950 and I'm worried I won't be able to play DA:I on ultra =(
I saw the graphics card that's recommended, is like a Sapphire radeon 7870 but I don't know how they compare.

UnrealEck

Is anyone knowledgeable in graphics cards? I have a 3 year old Radeon HD 6950 and I'm worried I won't be able to play DA:I on ultra =(
I saw the graphics card that's recommended, is like a Sapphire radeon 7870 but I don't know how they compare.

7870 is a lot faster, but you might get away with very high/high settings and 30-40 FPS.

BF4 runs at around just over 30 FPS on the 6950 on ultra at 1920x1080 and DA:I is a little more demanding.

Skirn

Ultra's probably out of the question. I also have an 6950 and from what I've gathered the 7870 is quite a bit faster. I'm expecting a playable framerate at medium-high settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom