• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

It FINALLY dropped! Full Beerus set at last.

B3Sef2Xl.jpg

They are amazing. I'm a bit disappointed, however, that Pressure Sign, the melee equivalent, doesn't even do half the damage that Change the Future does (I think. I might need to retest this. EDIT: Yeah, a 65 strike super + costume bonus-boosted Pressure Sign just edges out the damage of base-damage God Breaker and Change the Future). Still, nullifying damage and launching the enemy is still a pretty good deal.

Given how Pressure Sign can handle both melee and ki, thereby preventing fake outs and only taking one skill slot, I reckon that's a pretty fair tradeoff.

As it is, one of the biggest weaknesses with my Change the Future/God Breaker build is that I can't find any combination of two other supers that doesn't leave me lacking in some area. Right now I'm running Big Bang Attack and Gravity Impact, which are great for mixing up with my melee combos, but I would have loved to include something like Galick Gun or Blaster Shell so that I could have a general purpose long range attack as well.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Level increase to 85 and the dragon ball drop rates were the only significant changes. It's a start, though.

This is wrong, at least the PQ RNG for Ultimate Finishes has been increased as well.
Plus, now you respawn closer to the PQ desk, so it's a really good patch :)

McNum

This is wrong, at least the PQ RNG for Ultimate Finishes has been increased as well.
That's something that puzzled me, anyway. If you win a PQ, you got spawned at those time machines way in the back. If you quit a PQ, you got spawned right at the desk.

I do hope it's easier to find the rarer trainers now. I want to find Beerus. Should probably also do Vegeta soon.

Just waiting for the patch to hit Steam.

Calcium

Banned

There is no mention of PQ RNG changes in the update history. Where'd you see that?

Scirrocco

Might be NPCs around town. Look for some with blue question marks over their heads in various locations.

It can also be done by doing them online. You have access to all online, and beating them unlocks them offline. That's the only way I was able to beat pq 47.

patchday

Yeah I got the wings from there but Halo hasn't dropped for me yet. Keep seeing lots of people running around with them so thought I was missing something. But its' just RNG

Female Saiyan? 100 Ki and 100 Ki Blast is a classic build for those. Lots of Ki to keep Super Saiyan (or better yes, Super Vegeta) going for the longest you can, and lots of Ki Blast to fire powerful Ultimates for free while in Super Saiyan form. Pretty spammy, but against the computer, it's pretty nice.

I can recommend Perfect Kamehameha, Giant Storm, and Special Beam Cannon as possible Ultimates. Piccolo unlocks early as a trainer, so SBC is easy enough to get. You probably want some Ki Charge move as well.

Melee can be important, but for a female Saiyan, it's mostly to build up Ki. You have 37 points to spend on non-Ki stuff, it can go there if you want. Or 25 of it in Stamina for an extra bar of that. Up to you. Just get the Ultimate spam going at some point, it does silly damage against computer enemies who don't know how to dodge it.

As I only plan to play this once and don't plan on doing any online battles, this all sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

Tamanon

Banned
I think they are weekly gifts from the server. Dunno if they are always the same ball though.

I suspect you get a different one each week. I didn't play for a few weeks and logged in to a 3* and 6*. Maybe to guarantee people can unlock something after 7 weeks.

Philtastic

With the patch on PC coming out on Tuesday, I kind of don't want to play any more until then. Why grind away while the RNG is horrible?!

Diablo 3 season 3 starts tomorrow... and then GTA V comes out that Tuesday as well! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

With the patch on PC coming out on Tuesday, I kind of don't want to play any more until then. Why grind away while the RNG is horrible?!

Diablo 3 season 3 starts tomorrow... and then GTA V comes out that Tuesday as well! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Oh Steam gets it on Tues? I wonder if we'll get early access to the DLC again (or was that for season pass holders? I just know that I had it available before it "released").

Philtastic

Oh Steam gets it on Tues? I wonder if we'll get early access to the DLC again (or was that for season pass holders? I just know that I had it available before it "released").

You can find the Steam forum official dev post here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/323470/discussions/0/618458030674889948/

EDIT 2 - This update will go live when the DLC goes live on April 14th (Tuesday) - Thank you!

Increased level cap from 80 to 85
Incident rate of WARNING during parallel quests has been increased.
The position where players come back in Toki Toki City has been changed. After cleared parallel quests, now players will be back near “Time Machine Station” in Toki Toki City.
The position of Masters has also been changed.
Changed the spec when disconnected from XENOVERSE servers. When players are disconnected from XENOVERSE servers, they still can play offline mode, now. (before this update, users had to be back to title screen)
Although Time Space delivery and Campaign events won’t be available, online battles and parallel quests will be still available from each online reception.
Countermeasure against cheating: Players who have been employing various cheating techniques will not be able to log into multi-lobbies or join online battles or parallel quests.
Some rules during online battles have been changed:
-During endless battles, capsules cannot be used.
-Communication delay during online battles has been reduced. 
-Made adjustment on time patrol, battles and parallel quests
Added version information on title screen

XenoVerse got me interested in GT but I had heard bad things about it which, in my opinion, turned out to be true. I just finished watching the whole thing, and I thought season 1 was mostly horrible while season 2 was a lot better but wasn't all that great until the end. My biggest problems with the whole series were that they basically gimp the powers of every character (eg. not fighting as super saiyan most of the time), it had a lot of inconsistencies (eg. out of power, now suddenly chipper; Goku, the most powerful and reasonably tactical fighter in the entire universe, fights like an idiot and makes a ton of mistakes), and they overuse the kamehameha like crazy. The fights were also always so lopsided such that there was never really much tension or back-and-forth flow to the battles: it was always 'this person has the most power and will win, oh wait now the other has more power and will win, no wait....' This is in contrast to many of the major fights in DBZ (Goku vs. Vegeta/Frieza/Cell/Buu) where they were usually almost evenly matched and it was skill or morale that changed the tide of battle. And these major fights were built up by showcasing the fighters in lopsided but stylish battles (eg. Ginyu force built up by beating Vegeta and co but then effortlessly pummeled by Goku who then seems evenly matched against Frieza).

In terms of why I think season 1 specifically was terrible, I think it was because they limited themselves to only 3 main characters (Goku, Pan, and Trunks) and didn't really develop them much at all (Pan being the only one and not even that well. Goku was a nonchalant fool the entire time, and Trunks was mostly useless). Season 2 was mostly salvaged by bringing back the Goku-Vegeta rivalry/friendship and polar attitudes. Overall, a weak series that tried to amaze with scale (galaxy hunting and bringing back most of the old villains) but forgot what made DBZ so strong (character development mixed with stylish fights).

Edit: And I'm done with Pressure Sign. It's way too unreliable/requires too much timing and, if you miss, you're stuck in an awkward pose where you're completely vulnerable. There's basically no reason to take it over Change the Future since you're probably not going to waste it on mere melee attacks which are basically the only thing you would have an opportunity to use it against since melee supers generally come out too quick to counter anyway.

KHlover

Banned
Given how Pressure Sign can handle both melee and ki, thereby preventing fake outs and only taking one skill slot, I reckon that's a pretty fair tradeoff.

As it is, one of the biggest weaknesses with my Change the Future/God Breaker build is that I can't find any combination of two other supers that doesn't leave me lacking in some area. Right now I'm running Big Bang Attack and Gravity Impact, which are great for mixing up with my melee combos, but I would have loved to include something like Galick Gun or Blaster Shell so that I could have a general purpose long range attack as well.

Pretty late reply, but I think I'd recomment Tyrant Lancer as general-purpose long range attack. Low start-up, decent damage and blasts the enemy away quite far.

Nice, thanks. No capsules in endless battle is a good move.

XenoVerse got me interested in GT but I had heard bad things about it which, in my opinion, turned out to be true.

I'm actually a fan of GT, but this is a pretty reasonable criticism. I will say the fight choreography wasn't up to Z's par, but I enjoyed everything else (the "fun" of DB in the first half and the "seriousness/high stakes" of Z in the second).

You can find the Steam forum official dev post here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/323470/discussions/0/618458030674889948/

XenoVerse got me interested in GT but I had heard bad things about it which, in my opinion, turned out to be true. I just finished watching the whole thing, and I thought season 1 was mostly horrible while season 2 was a lot better but wasn't all that great until the end. My biggest problems with the whole series were that they basically gimp the powers of every character (eg. not fighting as super saiyan most of the time), it had a lot of inconsistencies (eg. out of power, now suddenly chipper; Goku, the most powerful and reasonably tactical fighter in the entire universe, fights like an idiot and makes a ton of mistakes), and they overuse the kamehameha like crazy. The fights were also always so lopsided such that there was never really much tension or back-and-forth flow to the battles: it was always 'this person has the most power and will win, oh wait now the other has more power and will win, no wait....' This is in contrast to many of the major fights in DBZ (Goku vs. Vegeta/Frieza/Cell/Buu) where they were usually almost evenly matched and it was skill or morale that changed the tide of battle. And these major fights were built up by showcasing the fighters in lopsided but stylish battles (eg. Ginyu force built up by beating Vegeta and co but then effortlessly pummeled by Goku who then seems evenly matched against Frieza).

In terms of why I think season 1 specifically was terrible, I think it was because they limited themselves to only 3 main characters (Goku, Pan, and Trunks) and didn't really develop them much at all (Pan being the only one and not even that well. Goku was a nonchalant fool the entire time, and Trunks was mostly useless). Season 2 was mostly salvaged by bringing back the Goku-Vegeta rivalry/friendship and polar attitudes. Overall, a weak series that tried to amaze with scale (galaxy hunting and bringing back most of the old villains) but forgot what made DBZ so strong (character development mixed with stylish fights)..

What pissed me off the most about DBGT is how SSJ4 I thought was the best concept given how imitating and dark it look in comparison to the overly alien-faced SSJ3, yet Goku was no better than Adult Gohan in that stage.

Hell, even SSJ4 Vegeta could barely land a punch.

Don't even get me started on SSJ4 Gogeta, that why I wish Xenoverse had the Janeba plot in it cause SSJ Gogeta was my favorite: a few lines, then got shit done. No talking and joking filler BS.

Omni

When does the second DLC drop? Or has it already come out? I kinda blindly bought the season pass for this game. For some silly reason xD

Nordicus

How does that work, anyway? Been hit by it a few times and I'm not sure if it can be dodged easily. Or blocked. Wouldn't really be Hellzone Grenade if you could block it.
You can block it. In fact, I think if you block during the moment the user throws the first blast, you also block the invisible paralysis and can then just fly out of the attack

McNum

You can block it. In fact, I think if you block during the moment the user throws the first blast, you also block the invisible paralysis and can then just fly out of the attack
That's kind of disappointing. Especially considering Special Beam Cannon is unblockable, I thought that might be a Piccolo thing. Actually, can you get Z-assists off Ultimates that belong to a master, but isn't the one you got in the training? In this case Piccolo and Hellzone Grenade.

Lagamorph

Changed the spec when disconnected from XENOVERSE servers. When players are disconnected from XENOVERSE servers, they still can play offline mode, now. (before this update, users had to be back to title screen)
Really glad to see this in the patch notes, though it really should have been the case from the start. Now that the server issues are sorted it's not really much of a problem anymore.

Exr

My favourite DBZ game is tenkaichi 3 and I played it for a long time, getting good enough to only bother playing vs hardest level computers. Does this game have a battle system of comparable depth and is the online populated? If so how's the netcode? My only interest is fighting online and playing the odd vs CPU match as Broly or something.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
That's kind of disappointing. Especially considering Special Beam Cannon is unblockable, I thought that might be a Piccolo thing. Actually, can you get Z-assists off Ultimates that belong to a master, but isn't the one you got in the training? In this case Piccolo and Hellzone Grenade.

Yeah, it is disappointing. Looks cool; just weak.

KHlover

Banned
My favourite DBZ game is tenkaichi 3 and I played it for a long time, getting good enough to only bother playing vs hardest level computers. Does this game have a battle system of comparable depth and is the online populated? If so how's the netcode? My only interest is fighting online and playing the odd vs CPU match as Broly or something.
From all the post-BT games it playes the most like BT3 and therefore is the best DBZ game since BT3.

Sadly the VS modes aren't nearly as good as in BT3 (that godlike mode where you can create a team from BT3 didn't make it), but online is ok.

Buy it, but be prepared for having to invest at least 20-25h before you get to unlock Broly, you need to complete the story first and then get a set of key items which are locked behind side quests, some of which are pretty tough if you're underleveled.

Lagamorph

Putting together a melee focused Majin female character.

Currently in mind for stats I have,

Strike Supers - 100
Max Stamina - 60
Max Ki - 40
Max Health - 20
Basic Attacks - 20

Of course that's pre-patch, post patch I'll probably put another 5 into Ki, Health and Basic Attacks.

I was going to give her Kaoiken (either x3 or x20) but I'm leaning against it now. Defence boost will work best at high stamina, so the last thing I probably want to be doing is draining it away and then have rather slow stamina recovery.

Philtastic

Putting together a melee focused Majin female character.

Currently in mind for stats I have,

Strike Supers - 100
Max Stamina - 60
Max Ki - 40
Max Health - 20
Basic Attacks - 20

Of course that's pre-patch, post patch I'll probably put another 5 into Ki, Health and Basic Attacks.

I was going to give her Kaoiken (either x3 or x20) but I'm leaning against it now. Defence boost will work best at high stamina, so the last thing I probably want to be doing is draining it away and then have rather slow stamina recovery.

I would recommend not putting any points into Max Ki since you can't really spam melee supers that well anyway and put those 40 points into Basic Attacks. You'll be surprised by how much damage you inflict with basic combos, especially if you PvP. I've done some PvP now on my 100 Basic Attacks, 65 Strike Super melee female human and people really aren't expecting the majority of my damage to come from just basic attacks. I'm just always in their face hammering away which prevents them from powering up for spam or getting any ranged attacks off. Even in coop play, I often end up doing the most damage because the spammers need to pause to power up and the moves themselves have large windup times whereas I'm just always dishing out huge damage from just free melee combos. As is, my 4xLight 2xHeavy combo does quite a bit more damage than most of my strike supers with these stats so the burst is lower but overall dps is quite high.

Exr

From all the post-BT games it playes the most like BT3 and therefore is the best DBZ game since BT3.

Sadly the VS modes aren't nearly as good as in BT3 (that godlike mode where you can create a team from BT3 didn't make it), but online is ok.

Buy it, but be prepared for having to invest at least 20-25h before you get to unlock Broly, you need to complete the story first and then get a set of key items which are locked behind side quests, some of which are pretty tough if you're underleveled.
Thanks mang

Mobile Suit Gooch

I've finally got the Super electric Strike, Super Vanishing ball and the Heat Dome attack. Today was a good day for farming. Also finished Cells mentoring.

Lagamorph

I would recommend not putting any points into Max Ki since you can't really spam melee supers that well anyway and put those 40 points into Basic Attacks. You'll be surprised by how much damage you inflict with basic combos, especially if you PvP. I've done some PvP now on my 100 Basic Attacks, 65 Strike Super melee female human and people really aren't expecting the majority of my damage to come from just basic attacks. I'm just always in their face hammering away which prevents them from powering up for spam or getting any ranged attacks off. Even in coop play, I often end up doing the most damage because the spammers need to pause to power up and the moves themselves have large windup times whereas I'm just always dishing out huge damage from just free melee combos. As is, my 4xLight 2xHeavy combo does quite a bit more damage than most of my strike supers with these stats so the burst is lower but overall dps is quite high.

Cheers for the advice!

Anybody got any idea what time the patch may be hitting today?

EDIT - Patch is live. Downloaded literally right after I posted.

patchday

Cheers for the advice!.

Yeah that sounds like really sound advice. Will have to try going that route if I ever get around to making a Male Majin

Decided to make a Male Saiyan that will focus on strikes. Got him to bout L70 so far. Just been using him in PQs. The melee ultimate strikes have grown on me such as Blue Hurricane, Unrelenting Barrage, and Victory Rush.

Scirrocco

So I guess it didn't come early on Steam, after all. Wonder why the first one did?

Looking forward to trying the new stuff tonight.

I just got done with the story side. It's about the same as last time, basically just 'fight these guys from GT' with a bit of dialogue. No real interestinglyng timeline changes like in the main game. There's a little thing At the end with ssj4 vegeta, but that's it.

The pqsd look mostly the same style.

Most of the clothes are buyable in the store, except for gogetas, annoyingly. I thoguth they learned there lesson last time

Yeah that sounds like really sound advice. Will have to try going that route if I ever get around to making a Male Majin

Decided to make a Male Saiyan that will focus on strikes. Got him to bout L70 so far. Just been using him in PQs. The melee ultimate strikes have grown on me such as Blue Hurricane, Unrelenting Barrage, and Victory Rush.

I think unrelenting barrage is supposed to be one od the worst moves in the game.

Lagamorph

Since it seems to be the done thing, I'm gonna throw in my wishlist for Xenoverse 2,

• More races for player characters - Maybe Kai could be a selectable race this time around. Tuffle could be another one as well. Given their advanced technology it'd be pretty easy to explain them as having had a hidden colony somewhere that hid away from the Saiyans so well that they didn't know the race had been all but wiped out.
    Maybe even a Beerus race, since it seems the God of Destruction is essentially chosen from a pre-existing race. At least that was the impression I got from the movie.
  • Transformations for other races - So for Majin races you could have something like 'Super' and 'Kid' transformations. For Frieza race you've already got their various transformations in there. Humans and Namek's you could just make something up, it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility given the nature of the game's plot, basically Super Humans and Super Nameks.
    I'd also really like to see Saiyan Player characters being able to turn into a Great Ape.
    Ontop of that I'd also like to see Saiyan player characters given the ability to achieve SSJ3, SSJ4 and SSJ God maybe.
  • More involvement of the Player Character - One thing I didn't like was how the player character was silent and just sort of happened along, then vanished with nobody really batting an eye. This time I'd maybe like the player character to be voiced and have more actual interaction with the DBZ characters, along with the characters remembering the player character.
  • More created scenarios - So more original stuff along the 'what if' lines of the plot scenarios. So stuff like SSJ3 Vegeta, SSJ Pan, Fusions that never happened, etc
  • Player fusions - The ability for two player characters to fuse together, with the resulting fusion perhaps being available either in one of your character slots, or added to your character roster for Parallel Quests (and you have maybe 5 or 6 such slots to fill with fusion characters)
  • Bruce Faulconer soundtrack - His stuff was way better than the original music. There. I said it.
    His backing music was way more suited to the action and drama scenes especially. So I'd love the option to switch in a 'dub soundtrack' as well as 'dub voices'.
  • Beam clashes - Honestly, I've no idea why this wasn't in the first game to begin with. It was a huge part of the show after all.

I'm sure there's more I've thought of in the past and forgotten about, and more I'll think of in future....but that's my wish list as it stands.

Oh, and Super Kamehameha Z-Assist in space looks freaking awesome,

I just got done with the story side. It's about the same as last time, basically just 'fight these guys from GT' with a bit of dialogue. No real interestinglyng timeline changes like in the main game. There's a little thing At the end with ssj4 vegeta, but that's it.

The pqsd look mostly the same style.

Sounds good to me! Just played the first two time patrols and enjoyed them. As a GT fan, I liked to see the little robot Giru get some screen time.

I'd honestly be cool with getting even more DLC of this nature...rumor is that pack #3 is about the new movie, right?

[*]Beam clashes - Honestly, I've no idea why this wasn't in the first game to begin with. It was a huge part of the show after all.
[/list]

I'm sure there's more I've thought of in the past and forgotten about, and more I'll think of in future....but that's my wish list as it stands.

This. Please, this.

patchday

I think unrelenting barrage is supposed to be one od the worst moves in the game.

Nah, there's much worse if we're talking bout strike/melee moves. Such as Justice combination which I cant get to work

Just started Mortal Kombat X. right off da bat- in training mode I am wishing you can actually get an idea of damage dealt in Xenoverse like this

Mobile Suit Gooch

\

• Bruce Faulconer soundtrack - His stuff was way better than the original music. There. I said it.
    His backing music was way more suited to the action and drama scenes especially. So I'd love the option to switch in a 'dub soundtrack' as well as 'dub voices'.

Would that be possible?

patchday

Been busy playing Bloodborne and now Mortal Kombat X is out. But still found some free time to hit up xenoverse:

Finally got all the Majin Buu clothes. Dat RNG!
d7sUHgFl.jpg

Finally found Beerus hiding out in my city and got trained
FiZ6tZ8l.jpg

Been busy playing Bloodborne and now Mortal Kombat X is out. But still found some free time to hit up xenoverse:

Finally got all the Majin Buu clothes. Dat RNG!
d7sUHgFl.jpg

Finally found Beerus hiding out in my city and got trained
FiZ6tZ8l.jpg

Nice! Classic Majin look. How long did it take you to get do you think?

Surprised by a healthy challenge in the third new time patrol (
Baby, Super 17, and Omega
). Most of the time patrols/PQs had become fairly easy with my max level character by now, so that was nice.

patchday

Didn't even realize the new dlc was out. I might swoop it up. The new fighters just don't seem too appealing.

How many PQs in dlc pack 2?

Oh yeah the majin buu outfit. Oh man who knows? I think I usualy hit up Majin Revival PQ at least 5-6 times almost daily (well every 2-3 days). I still dont have the Angel Halo :(

Top Bottom