• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I out today internationally for iOS/Android [now up in NA]

Haven't dove into this game since the NES days -- highly enjoyable, grind-heavy, and hit the wrong area too early and you are dead (talking to you cartoonish skeletons). Graphics are serviceable but nothing mindblowing -- jerky scrolling on par with all of Square's other 2D iOS ports. Music is godly (as usual), translation is well done & makes way more sense than the original (though my memory of it is vague and filled with thou this & thou that). Just to wrap my head around grinding to get anything and anywhere (coming off of Chrono Trigger which is the total opposite). Nice impulse purchase, we'll see if it holds my interest.

Gloam

Got a couple of floors into the dungeon in
Garinham
before a red skeleton destroyed me. I had 1200G or so, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm only Level 7 so maybe I was biting off more than I can chew...

Ultima_5

Whys the game priced at two different price points in the OP?

one is $2.99 and the other is $3.79. What's the difference? Which ones for ipad?

Got a couple of floors into the dungeon in
Garinham
before a red skeleton destroyed me. I had 1200G or so, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm only Level 7 so maybe I was biting off more than I can chew...
Damn, I realize I've skipped it. That's what I was missing lol. Level 7 doesn't sound under leveled as long as you have bought all the equipment the town has to offer.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm playing this on a 5S and the scrolling looks so choppy compared to the NES and SNES version. The pixels on the sprites look so compressed as well.

Aeana

Whys the game priced at two different price points in the OP?

one is $2.99 and the other is $3.79. What's the difference? Which ones for ipad?
$3.79 is the New Zealand version. $2.99 is NA.

There is no iPad version, these are made for phones.

Who else remembers getting the NES version for free when subscribing to Nintendo Power? I'd probably be a much different person today if I had never received this game as a kid.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is it possible to get through this game without grinding at the beginning for the better sword? That is the only way I could get anywhere when I was a kid.

Aeana

Is it possible to get through this game without grinding at the beginning for the better sword? That is the only way I could get anywhere when I was a kid.
You can get by at the beginning, but sooner or later you'll stop to grind. IMO defense is more important than offense for a good portion of the game, though. I always buy defensive stuff early on and keep the cypress stick for a bit. I don't tend to agree with people saying that this series requires grinding, but there's no doubt that DQ1 is built upon it. Otherwise you could just waltz over and achieve your goal right away.

wrowa

I actually think that grinding is super satisfying in DQ1. In most RPGs new equipment and gaining new levels feels rather meaningless - most of the time, you don't actually feel much stronger when you've gained a new level or equipped a new weapon. However, in Dragon Quest a new level, a new weapon, a new piece of armor really makes you stronger and you can feel it instantly. I really love that.

In general, I love the simplicity of DQ1. I actually think it works great as a mobile game due to it. You don't spend much time talking, instead you are on a journey through the world searching for clues. You can easily play it for 10 minutes and then put it away again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
i have no idea where i'm going. I found a little town in the top left...not sure where too next
Such is the joy of these old games. It will tell you exactly what you need to do, but you need to pay attention. Spoiler:
Have you gone in the cave in the desert to the east of that town yet?
Also, when you're leveled enough
you can go south of that town across a bridge to a new area.

"Grinding" is half the game but TBH, these are short bursts if you go into the right area each time (ie one where you're out of your safe zone but monsters are manageable).
What makes the game quintessential is how it nails the level and equipment progression in regard to that risk vs reward balance of fighting new monsters.

Tevious

Was going to buy this on the play store, but its not compatible with my device... seriously? Apparently neither is 4 or 8. I have Android.4.4.2 on a LG Optimus G phone.

eojoko

I've played it for more than an hour at this point and it's crashed on me twice. Luckily it autosaves and you don't lose any data. Also, at various points in the game during dialogue it's been very unresponsive, feels like the game has freezed or is having trouble loading something. Still worth it, but it seems pretty sorry that a Square Enix game feels (or is) buggy. New translation and music are great though.

Aeana

Was going to buy this on the play store, but its not compatible with my device... seriously? Apparently neither is 4 or 8. I have Android.4.4.2 on a LG Optimus G phone.
Where do you live? That error also comes up if it isn't on your region's store.

Tevious

Where do you live? That error also comes up if it isn't on your region's store.

Korea, but I'm American and I also accessed the store from a US ip (vpn) and it had the same problem. Maybe something in my settings is also placing me in Korea...

Just got to the last boss but didn't have enough MP to finish the fight.

Here's the shining star of this amazing localization

XfkY6bC.png

colinp

Banned
Korea, but I'm American and I also accessed the store from a US ip (vpn) and it had the same problem. Maybe something in my settings is also placing me in Korea...

I'm in Japan but using a US account on my iPhone bought in Japan with a Japanese carrier and I have no problem accessing the US store (and I bought dQ1!).

john tv

Some examples of how the text changed (these two, at least, are for the worse IMO):

Random Tantegel Guard A (NES) said:
If thou art planning to take a rest, first see King Lorik.

Random Tantegel Guard A (iOS) said:
If thou wouldst rest from thy quest awhile, thou must request of the king that thy deeds be recorded in an adventure log.

Random Tantegel Guard B (NES) said:
King Lorik will record thy deeds in his Imperial Scroll so thou may return to thy quest later.

Random Tantegel Guard B (iOS) said:
If thou wouldst rejoin thy quest from a point of thine choosing, thou must needs record thy deeds in an adventure log.

Sad to say, I don't like it. The NES script injected a touch of flavor to create an atmosphere, but this is taking that flavor and cranking it up to 100 to a point where it feels annoying to talk to anyone. :/ Hopefully they tone it down a bunch for 2 and 3.

Beat it! I have a weird thing for this game. I guess you'd call it nostalgia but the ugly graphics and brutal translation did its best to beat the nostalgia out of me.

The right game for the right price. I wouldn't get DQ8 on IOS but $3 for a classic that's very simple works great on IOS. I just wish it wasn't so aesthetically unpleasing.

Eusis

Some examples of how the text changed (these two, at least, are for the worse IMO):

Sad to say, I don't like it. The NES script injected a touch of flavor to create an atmosphere, but this is taking that flavor and cranking it up to 100 to a point where it feels annoying to talk to anyone. :/ Hopefully they tone it down a bunch for 2 and 3.
It's the kind of thing I was afraid of, going with the NES nostalgia rather than a better translation that meshed with the newer games better (and perhaps was more accurate but name changes have become the norm rather than the exception in an inverse from many other series these days.) Was also kinda hoping for Loto rather than Erdrick especially after later revelations, but I figured nostalgia would hold strong there even if it failed on the Thou front.

Erdrick

As ancient and old as this game seems to most gamers these days, I've enjoyed my time with this version immensely. While a lot of people I know are going off about Destiny non-stop, I'm all hyped for Dq on my phone for just over 3 bucks. Haha

One more level and I'm going to take a shot at getting Erdrick's armour.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
As someone who played the NES version 100s of times its hard to get use to the localization lol.

I wanna cast Hurt!

john tv

It's the kind of thing I was afraid of, going with the NES nostalgia rather than a better translation that meshed with the newer games better (and perhaps was more accurate but name changes have become the norm rather than the exception in an inverse from many other series these days.) Was also kinda hoping for Loto rather than Erdrick especially after later revelations, but I figured nostalgia would hold strong there even if it failed on the Thou front.
Well, it's not even a nostalgia thing - the NES version reads better than this one. I don't have any problem with the thou/thee stuff, but it needs to be done in careful moderation -- if you try to go full authentic, you just ruin the feel of the game. It's there to add a touch of flavor, not to turn the game into Shakespeare.

I don't mind the Erdrick thing - terminology-wise, they seem to have nailed it, as always. Loto/Roto is the real name, yes, but it's kind of dumb-sounding in English, TBH. IDK about you, but it makes me think of Roto Rooter, and I really don't want to be thinking about toilets while I'm playing DQ, LOL.

Gonna play through this to the end, I think, and see how it goes.

randomkid

I'm with Mr. 8-4, based on the examples presented, those read awkward. Really don't like it when flavor gets cranked up to 11 (funnily enough that's why I never liked the DS translations either).

It's odd if that's the same group that did DQ8 and Ni no Kuni, where they absolutely nailed it with two of the best localizations I've ever seen.

terrisus

I don't mind the Erdrick thing - terminology-wise, they seem to have nailed it, as always. Loto/Roto is the real name, yes, but it's kind of dumb-sounding in English, TBH. IDK about you, but it makes me think of Roto Rooter, and I really don't want to be thinking about toilets while I'm playing DQ, LOL.

Glad I wasn't the only one >.>

Definitely prefer Erdrick

Meffer

I'm enjoying it, I've played the SNES version before and I actually prefer that over this. But, having this whenever is a plus.

Eusis

Well, it's not even a nostalgia thing - the NES version reads better than this one. I don't have any problem with the thou/thee stuff, but it needs to be done in careful moderation -- if you try to go full authentic, you just ruin the feel of the game. It's there to add a touch of flavor, not to turn the game into Shakespeare.
Well, in this case I was thinking "we thought that was an iconic touch of the NES game, but need to redo the script to more modern standards... but keep that touch!" And in this case it does seem like going insane with it. But I guess that may work out in the long run.
I don't mind the Erdrick thing - terminology-wise, they seem to have nailed it, as always. Loto/Roto is the real name, yes, but it's kind of dumb-sounding in English, TBH. IDK about you, but it makes me think of Roto Rooter, and I really don't want to be thinking about toilets while I'm playing DQ, LOL./QUOTE]
I... never thought of that one, haha. Admittedly the name is a bit silly, but not excessively so (especially by JRPG standards) and seemed like it'd work better
for either gender the DQIII hero could've been. Though I guess handing down a more masculine sounding name isn't THAT unusual.

massoluk

Banned

Yikes, I want to try DQ1, but I don't want to read through these texts.

Such is the joy of these old games. It will tell you exactly what you need to do, but you need to pay attention. Spoiler:
Have you gone in the cave in the desert to the east of that town yet?
Also, when you're leveled enough
you can go south of that town across a bridge to a new area.

Figured it out in the end, thanks. I did miss that little cave.

Also, fuck torches.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, I want to try DQ1, but I don't want to read through these texts.

Just completed the game. There isn't much text in the game anyway, to be honest. Some of it, like those examples, sounded clunky but they bothered me less than the accents in DQIV, which I got over with when I played the Android release.

Looking forward to DQ2 and DQ3. Never played 2 and barely touched 3.

Psxphile

I remember abusing the shit out of the infinitely-restored treasure chest from the mountain cave to the west of Tantegel in DW1. Seemed like an oddly-specific bug. I take it that's been fixed in later revisions including this one?

Played a bit more, having a decent time with it so far. I figured out that the control issue I talked about before was because the game doesn't support multitouch. I had a finger slightly on the screen so it wasn't recognizing my input. The more I play I find that this isn't a comfortable game to play on a tablet, let alone an 8.4 inch. :\ The control options help but it needs more customization. Being able to customize the location of battle options would help a lot as well as full scaling options for the virtual analog stick.

I don't mind this localization. It sure has hell beats the crap out of IV DS's. Perhaps it's a bit too stuffy, making the game seem stiffer than it should, but it's not bad.

Werewolf > Tearwolf though. WHY?

Top Bottom