• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX DS new pics !!

Yoboman said:
Graphics are a part of a game, they are not mutually exclusive. Having to go backwards with the graphics is going backward with the game

You can't simply generalise like that. I know it's hard to believe, but gasp, DQIX could actually be a step forward in many ways that could easily make up for the loss in graphics.

eXistor

I'm liking the graphics so far. Sure, I'd like to have seen next-gen visuals for DQIX, but as long as the game is fun I'm not complaining too much.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it's awesome how we go from

it's on DS omg this game is going to suck--->omg it's an action rpg this is not DQ!--->shit back to turn based? I was only interested because it was an action rpg--->no online? well shit this is just DQ8 ugly version!!!11!

I wonder what's next.

Matix

Error said:

it's on DS omg this game is going to suck--->omg it's an action rpg this is not DQ!--->shit back to turn based? I was only interested because it was an action rpg--->no online? well shit this is just DQ8 ugly version!!!11!

I wonder what's next.

:lol :lol -TRUTH- :lol :lol

Koren

Well, it's not Dragon Quest IX DS instead of DQ IX PS3 (or anything else), it's Dragon Quest IX DS instead of no Dragon Quest before a couple of years.

If they wanted to publish a Dragon Quest in 2007, they only had two viable solutions : DS and PS2. They choosed DS because sales and budget-wise, it was probably the platform where they will make more profit.

Besides this, there'll probably be a console version in 2009-2010. You can easily skip the DS one if you can't play with DS graphics... But the DS didn't steal a DQ to any next gen console.

Yoboman

Magicpaint said:
You can't simply generalise like that. I know it's hard to believe, but gasp, DQIX could actually be a step forward in many ways that could easily make up for the loss in graphics.
And those qualities could've been achieved on next gen consoles, and then some. Any progressive traits it does recieve will simply be because of the software itself but it'll never have the open world and sense of adventure encompassed in the scale of DQ8, nor the graphics. Therefore it is a step back. Maybe not a step back in every way, but a step backward none the less.

Error

did you people complain about the next GOW being on PSP and not PS3? did anyone complain about Link's Awakening being on the gameboy (and in black and white no less!)?

DQ10 will be for a console, now if DQ9 being on DS bothers you so much you can just you know... ignore it, dont buy it or something instead of bitching here :)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Error said:

I wonder what's next.
I have to say that even with my comment posted earlier, I am not suprised that the game is not online. Why? Because the DS can't do shit when it's online multiplayer related. It can connect to the internet but that's as far it can go.

I will buy DQIX because
-It's an portable RPG
-Remind me of the old Dragon Quest games
-We are not sure yet but: Job System!

Tobor

Error said:
did you people complain about the next GOW being on PSP and not PS3? did anyone complain about Link's Awakening being on the gameboy (and in black and white no less!)?

DQ10 will be for a console, now if DQ9 being on DS bothers you so much you can just you know... ignore it, dont buy it or something instead of bitching here :)

Don't worry, they will bitch when DQ10 is announced for Wii as well.

Yoboman said:
And those qualities could've been achieved on next gen consoles, and then some. Any progressive traits it does recieve will simply be because of the software itself but it'll never have the open world and sense of adventure encompassed in the scale of DQ8, nor the graphics. Therefore it is a step back. Maybe not a step back in every way, but a step backward none the less.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree here. This is going nowhere.

Eteric Rice

Vic said:
I have to say that even with my comment posted earlier, I am not suprised that the game is not online. Why? Because the DS can't do shit when it's online multiplayer related. It can connect to the internet but that's as far it can go.

I will buy DQIX because
-It's an portable RPG
-Remind me of the old Dragon Quest games
-We are not sure yet but: Job System!

... What?

Error

Eteric Rice said:
... What?
he's right, DS wifi works for short burst like Tetris, Mario Kart, Pokemon and stuff. for RPGs like DQ9 and FF:CC I really doubt it'll work.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cruceh said:
Why anyone would want to play an RPG online is beyond me. It's a mostly single player experience anyway.

Maybe because when SE unveiled it, it was a multiplayer ARPG that people got hyped for.

Now, it turns out the only thing that remains from their initial unveiling is the create a character. Well...ok.

Vic

Tobor said:
I would disagree, especially now that it is turn based. MPH would work but not DQ9?
Maybe the multiple enemies is just impossible to put online with the DS (See FF:CC Rings Of Fate)

Tobor

Vic said:
Maybe the multiple enemies is just impossible to put online with the DS (See FF:CC Rings Of Fate)

Thats a possibility. It might not have been a technical decision at all. It could be that they decided turn based online was a little...boring. That was my concern anyway.

Vic

Eteric Rice said:
How can it be that limited when they're putting Maple Story on it? D:
I thought it was going to be a non-online version of the main game

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Yoboman said:
Graphics are a part of a game, they are not mutually exclusive. Having to go backwards with the graphics is going backward with the game

Stop trolling or simply play "backward" games. They were better than the 3D generation. So please, just shut up.

Yoboman said:

DQVIII is a ****ing regresion in the fun and the gameplay of the series. So go trolling into gamefaqs.

And please, stop considering that if a gae doesn't fit you visuals pretensions is a regresion, because for me DQIX looks in some ways far better than DQVIII (in colour, in the sense of cartoonist world, characters are cutter...)

teiresias

tanasten said:
Stop trolling or simply play "backward" games. They were better than the 3D generation. So please, just shut up.

A blanket statement such as "They were better than the 3D generation" is just as trollish as anything else I've seen posted in this topic.

tanasten said:
DQVIII is a ****ing regresion in the fun and the gameplay of the series. So go trolling into gamefaqs.

considering DQVIII plays like 98% of the game mechanics from the previous games, I can only assume you think it's a "****ing regresion" because of the blasphemous 3D graphic engine (judging by the first quote).

Vic

Eteric Rice said:
I heard there was to be online and offline.

Heck, Animal Crossing is online, isn't it?
Makes me wonder why only Nintendo can make great Wi-Fi games. Maybe they put more effort when developing than other companies.

M3d10n

Vic said:
In other words: the hardware is too limited for internet multiplayer games

I can't fathom how you guys can come to the conclusion that a hardware is too limited tor internet multiplayer, while it can operate in LAN multiplayer just fine. The mind boggles.

The only difference between LAN and internet is the latency (which requires extra design work, not CPU work, to be worked around) and the need for an infrastructure to connect people together (lobbies, match-making servers, etc), which work outside the game.

The reason there is no online multi is that Square probably thinks it's too much work (aka: money spending) for something that's already going to sell a lot regardless. Creating a robust online mode requires much more than simply routing the packets through the internet, it it usually affects the core design of the whole game.

Stop the "the hardware is too weak for online" bullshit, please.

tanasten

teiresias said:
Considering DQVIII plays like 98% of the game mechanics from the previous games, I can only assume you think it's a "****ing regresion" because of the blasphemous 3D graphic engine (judging by the first quote).

No. Basically the game gets boring because the battles are far slower compared to any other 2D DQ, and because navigating trough the game world was far easy and fun in the 2D version of the game.

Y'Know, the world is big and pretty, but you waste tons of hours wandering and get lost or simply bored of it.

Also, in the 2D Dragon Quest you had tons more of things to do through the world. Had better, far better puzzles and secret hints than those in DQVIII... the whole world felt more alive than in DQVIII.

Y'Know, if I could keep the game graphics and keep the great gameplay I'm totally in... but blaming a game because it looks different (not worse, just different) when what you're asking is a regression in the gameplay of the series is just wrong.

We should ask first for the gameplay, we should ask first for new things in the gameplay, and then... ask for graphics and so. I had enough of the PlayStation era. Now let us enjoy the Nintendo DS era, call it "the gameplay is back" era.

ethelred

Jahaya said:
It is sounding more like a quick cash-in job.

No, it's sounding more and more like... the next installment of Dragon Quest.

Online wifi cooperative multiplayer was never promised; people just assumed (wrongly) it would be there.

Aeana

ethelred said:

Online wifi cooperative multiplayer was never promised; people just assumed (wrongly) it would be there.
ethelred said:

ethelred said:

This cannot be emphasized enough times.

Eteric Rice

I liked DQVIII, but it was just way to big. I got lost and just stopped playing.

I intended to go back, just never did.

I want IX badly, though.

teiresias

tanasten said:
We should ask first for the gameplay, we should ask first for new things in the gameplay, and then... ask for graphics and so. I had enough of the PlayStation era. Now let us enjoy the Nintendo DS era, call it "the gameplay is back" era.

Ah, you're one of those "there was no gameplay on Playstation" kind of people. Not worth arguing with you then.

Eteric Rice

teiresias said:
Ah, you're one of those "there was no gameplay on Playstation" kind of people. Not worth arguing with you then.

I think he meant that we should want them to make sure the gameplay is solid before working on the graphics. Not that there's no gameplay on the Playstation or anything like that.

The graphics looks more than fine to me. Has a lot of charm.

7Th

Error said:

GoW is a side-game rather than main series though...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eteric Rice said:
I liked DQVIII, but it was just way to big. I got lost and just stopped playing.

I intended to go back, just never did.

I want IX badly, though.

*facepalm*

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Well I was looking forward to a co-op game I could play with my buddies (Not online, mind you) the "formalized" battle system looks completely lame in terms of multiplayer.

Looks like Hori couldn't handle branching out after all.

tanasten

teiresias said:

Well, I don't want to go off topic, but yes, I think that cinemas and graphics aren't what makes games fun. I'm now a days enjoying VC releases like ****ing gold gems, especially the Turbo Grafx games I never played and those are hard more fun than now a days games.

I want a game with great graphics, not a interactive movie.

That's what I mean.

ethelred

tanasten said:
Well, I don't want to go off topic, but yes, I think that cinemas and graphics aren't what makes games fun. I'm now a days enjoying VC releases like ****ing gold gems, especially the Turbo Grafx games I never played and those are hard more fun than now a days games.

That's what I mean.

Gold isn't a gem, it's a metal.

Cromat

It's amazing just how much this game regressed, from being the best idea ever on DS to being a dumb anarchronistic borefest.

My first post here is a complaint, how fitting.

teiresias

tanasten said:

That's what I mean.

I know, it's a pity every Playstation game was chock full of FMV and cinemas then, I mean, there were absolutely no games without them on the Playstation or the PS2.

tanasten

ethelred said:
Gold isn't a gem, it's a metal.

:D I Know. Just peeing out of the toilet.

teiresias said:
I know, it's a pity every Playstation game was chock full of FMV and cinemas then, I mean, there were absolutely no games without them on the Playstation or the PS2.

O no sir, it's just that the was the system that changed priorities for the developers. There were a lot of games that were bad just because they used Pre-rendered graphics instead of 3D graphics or say, a top down classical view.

Games like Parasite Eve or Final Fantasy VII would have been great if done in the same way than Vagrant Story. Y'know that there were tons of great games on the PSX (more than in PS2 I think), but was the system that changed the priorities and since then... gaming hasn't been what was in the past.

I hope this time do you agree with me.

Red Scarlet

So no online as of now? I haven't kept up with the game. I do know they changed it back to the normal battle system, but was in the dark about if it was online wifi or just local or neither. Guess right now it's neither?

Red Scarlet said:
So no online as of now? I haven't kept up with the game. I do know they changed it back to the normal battle system, but was in the dark about if it was online wifi or just local or neither. Guess right now it's neither?
There is still wireless multiplayer, but online hasn't been set in stone.

Top Bottom