• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX DS new pics !!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
My hype has been cut in half, that online mode was like, damn. This sucks.

Maybe for the Wii version.

Meh, I wasn't really hyped for an online mode myself. Nothing has really changed on my side.

I don't like playing RPGs with people.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Really... if they take out the WIFI thing why are they putting the game on the DS? If the point it's the communication, WIFI is a must nowadays, at least now that Pokemon is doing crazy numbers per week!

Oh my God, I'm so deceived! I just hope it's wrong, that Jeux France is wrong...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Uh, not sure why Wi-Fi was suppose to play a big part when they revealed that the game is turn based again, someone care to enlighten me? I thought it was pretty obvious that they'd shoe-horn multi-player when they switched back to turn based combat, it's bound to be crap.

sprsk

Hmmm I'm reading the part about network play and it doesn't sound like they took it out. Let me read further.

sprsk

It says wireless connection, which probably doesn't mean wi-fi. It doesn't say Wi-Fi was taken out though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
From the news thread:
Jonnyram said:
:lol
It basically says "If you want to play multiplayer, you have to take your DS to your mates and play with wireless LAN. And I have no idea what the Wi-Fi function is for as it's still Wi-Fi compatible, supposedly."

Bo130

Hm, my friend says it says something about Scenario Design and Character Design just about where it says something about Wi-Fi. A bit far-fetched, but do you think you could trade/send characters to each other online, and some kind of 'missions' as well...?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nintendo use the words "wireless connection" for local wireless play.

No mention of Wi-Fi = no internet play guys.

Bo130

speedpop said:
Nintendo use the words "wireless connection" for local wireless play.

No mention of Wi-Fi = no internet play guys.

But... It DOES mention Wi-Fi specifically. Look at the first page of the latest scans, the information box.

I rather not have an online mode to be honest, I play RPG's alone most of the time and another MMORPG look-a-like is not exactly what I expect and want from a DQ game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the online mode was going to be cool, but I can live. my hype is still strong for this game.

Ramenman

Square Enix diffuse quelques images de Dragon Quest IX : Protectors of the Sky sur Nintendo DS dans le magazine japonais Famitsu. Après avoir perdu son vrai coté Action-RPG avec la présence finalement de combats au tour par tour, il semblerait que Dragon Quest IX : Protectors of the Sky ait également perdu sa fonctionnalité principale de jeu en ligne comme nous l'indique le Famitsu de cette semaine, il faudra donc se contenter d'un réseau local avec ses amis pour jouer en mode multijoueur, la fonctionnalité online devrait être utilisée pour autre chose.

So they really like taking out one by one all the things that could make this game interesting
to me
?

Yoboman

Ramenman said:
So they really like taking out one by one all the things that could make this game interesting
to me
?
Uh are you expecting most of us to know what that quote says?:-\

Ramenman

Yoboman said:
Uh are you expecting most of us to know what that quote says?:-\

Well, since it was posted at previous page I thought it had been translated already.

It says that after taking out the A-RPG gameplay, it seems that they are taking out the online play.

Aeana

Ramenman said:
Well, since it was posted at previous page I thought it had been translated already.

It says that after taking out the A-RPG gameplay, it seems that they are taking out the online play.

Something has to be there in the first place before it can be taken out.

mutsu

Guys - the scans still says "Nintendo WiFi Connection compatible"... even though there is a (tentative) attached to it.

Fairly sure WiFi is still on the cards.

Error

Ramenman said:
to me
?
if online and action rpg was what you were looking foward to in DQ9, you never liked DQ in the first place. best look for another series.

Yoboman

Ramenman said:

Interesting. Hopefully they'll take it off the DS next, if they're fixing things they shouldn't have done

Yoboman said:
Interesting. Hopefully they'll take it off the DS next, if they're fixing things they shouldn't have done
Yeah, they shouldn't have put DQ on the system with the highest userbase like they always do.

Ramenman

if online and action rpg was what you were looking foward to in DQ9, you never liked DQ in the first place.

You're right. I wasn't hyped for the game being a DQ (never played any) but for being and online A-RPG.

Don't worry though, I'm not bitching at SE for doing a turn based RPG, I'm not that dumb :)

Yoboman

Magicpaint said:
Yeah, they shouldn't have put DQ on the system with the highest userbase like they always do.
That's right. At least not when it's an N64 era handheld and it's only going backward in quality.

Error

Yoboman said:
That's right. At least not when it's an N64 era handheld and it's only going backward in quality.
how do you know that anyway? already played it? care to give your awesome final impressions? hows the scenario?

bigswords

VicAlpha said:
Shit, our dream and hope was ****ed :lol

trans: They say that it seems that there is no online multiplayer functionality anymore, only local wireless can use the multiplayer mode. The online connection will be used to something else.

Exchanging damn emails like FF3 OMFG!!

WHY SQUARE WHY!!!!!!

Yoboman

Error said:
how do you know that anyway? already played it? care to give your awesome final impressions? hows the scenario?
Sure, of course I'll show you how it's gone backwards. It's difficult to see the subtle differences so try and pay close attention

Here's Dragon Quest VIII:
dragonQ8_080103_11.jpg

dragon-warrior-viii-20040924001523694.jpg

And here's Dragon Quest IX:
dragon-quest-ix-protectors-of-the-sky-20070501111110090.jpg

It's pretty wow-erific though, dispite being a a generation back in terms of visuals. Great stuff.

Incidentally, Dragon Quest looks stunning on PS3's PS2 emulator.

Soul4ger

I can't imagine this isn't going to be delayed significantly. First it was an action/RPG, now it's turn-based. First, it sort of had an online focus, now there's no online at all (or the "Mode" is different, meaning you can probably trade armor or something). I mean, it seems like the entire concept for the game has changed.

Error

then uh... you should better than graphics in DQ games are a nice bonus on top of an amazing gameplay.

DQ9 looks stunning considering the hardware and I mean shit, every piece of armor is visible in DQ9 and no random battles (DQ8 overworld was stunning at first but it was painfully barren and boring after awhile). I dont really see how DQ9 is suddenly a step backwards in the series, sorry.

Yoboman

Error said:
then uh... you should better than graphics in DQ games are a nice bonus on top of an amazing gameplay.

DQ9 looks stunning considering the hardware and I mean shit, every piece of armor is visible in DQ9 and no random battles (DQ8 overworld was stunning at first but it was painfully barren and boring after awhile). I dont really see how DQ9 is suddenly a step backwards in the series, sorry.
Graphics are a nice bonus on top of everything. Doesn't mean you should go backwards. I'll play and love DQ9, but there's no denying that its potential is completely marred by putting it two generations behind what it could achieve on PS3 or 360 or even Wii.

Yoboman said:
Graphics are a nice bonus on top of everything. Doesn't mean you should go backwards. I'll play and love DQ9, but there's no denying that its potential is completely marred by putting it two generations behind what it could achieve on PS3 or 360 or even Wii.
That's what you should have said in the first place rather than making assumptions about the game's final quality.

DQ games have been great well before DQVIII. The DS hardware is more than enough to make a GREAT DQ game. Graphics whorism be damned.

Eteric Rice

Magicpaint said:
That's what you should have said in the first place rather than making assumptions about the game's final quality.

DQ games have been great well before DQVIII. The DS hardware is more than enough to make a GREAT DQ game. Graphics whorism be damned.

Yeah, it's not like DQ has ever demanded much of a system anyway. It's been the same since the 80s. :)

Yoboman

Magicpaint said:

That IS what I said. And of course DQ games have been great. FF games have been great too, FFVI and VII are still considered the best ones. But that doesn't mean releasing FFIX with PS1 visuals would be ridiculous. Games like this should cater to the highest standards

ethelred

GreenGlowingGoo said:
OK, really, now they HAVE to put WFC in Crystal Chronicles.

People still think they removed it because of DQIX? I said at the time that was "removed" from Crystal Chronicles that it was because they just couldn't find a way to do it in a large-scale RPG. I said at the time that there's no way DQIX would be wifi, either, because the DS just isn't up to that task, but no one wanted to believe me. Ah well!

Yoboman said:
That IS what I said.

This is what you said:
Yoboman said:
It's fine complaining about the graphics downgrade, but to imply that the game itself would be a step back because of it is highly questionable. You could have complained about the visuals and left it at that. But everyone knows DQ games before VIII had never looked anything special, so it's not really a big deal for DQ fans and most certainly wouldn't use its looks as any indication of the final game's quality.

Yoboman said:
Games like this should cater to the highest standards
Who is to say IX isn't conforming to this?

DQIX could be the best game in the series, we just don't know for obvious reasons.

Epiphyte

ethelred said:
People still think they removed it because of DQIX? I said at the time that was "removed" from Crystal Chronicles that it was because they just couldn't find a way to do it in a large-scale RPG. I said at the time that there's no way DQIX would be wifi, either, because the DS just isn't up to that task, but no one wanted to believe me. Ah well!
What is is in the DS wifi implementation that would prevent them from doing the initial pitch for DQIX?

Yoboman

Magicpaint said:
This is what you said:

It's fine complaining about the graphics downgrade, but to imply that the game itself would be a step back because of it is highly questionable. You could have complained about the visuals and left it at that. But everyone knows DQ games before VIII had never looked anything special, so it's not really a big deal for DQ fans and most certainly wouldn't use its looks as any indication of the final game's quality.

Who is to say IX isn't conforming to this?

DQIX could be the best game in the series, we just don't know for obvious reasons.
Graphics are a part of a game, they are not mutually exclusive. Having to go backwards with the graphics is going backward with the game

teiresias

Wow. Now, with the game being back to turn-based combat, and the online play (outside of LAN/adhoc, whatever) being a no show, we're basically left with an uglier version of DQVIII, that brings nothing new to the table.

Not that DQ has really brought anything NEW to the table in a while - that's part of its charm, but at least with VIII we got an engaging, and graphically lush world to run through and explore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
teiresias said:
Wow. Now, with the game being back to turn-based combat, and the online play (outside of LAN/adhoc, whatever) being a no show, we're basically left with an uglier version of DQVIII, that brings nothing new to the table.

Not that DQ has really brought anything NEW to the table in a while - that's part of its charm, but at least with VIII we got an engaging, and graphically lush world to run through and explore.

But there are at least two pretty major new things in the early screenshots we've seen, and that's without knowing hardly anything about the game.

Top Bottom