• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Aeana

Lots of weapon switching for priest here at the start. I use my spear for attacking normally, but I switch to my wand because I get 1 MP back for every attack with it. But it's cool, as usual in DQ, switching is part of combat, just takes an action to do.

Aeana

I've been going around cheering people on. It's pretty cool how it heals in addition to boosting tension. This one person thanked me every time I did it.

By the way, does anybody know what the red x you get by an enemy's name is in battle? Does it just mean they're considered really weak, or something else?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've been going around cheering people on. It's pretty cool how it heals in addition to boosting tension. This one person thanked me every time I did it.

By the way, does anybody know what the red x you get by an enemy's name is in battle? Does it just mean they're considered really weak, or something else?

The red X means that they are in a surprised state. So basically its free actions till it goes away. Same thing can happen to you in reverse. The chance of that happening is based off of your きようさ I think is what the game had explained.

For when it happens to us it kinda sucks hard, since not only do we got to wait for the status to wear off, but then we need to wait for the command input menu to appear which starts from the 0 status. Wait time will depend on your はやさ status I do believe.

Aeana

Ah, I see; that's very interesting. I just found the tutorial stuff in the menu, so I'll scroll through it and read the stuff.
Also, yay, just got my zoom stone (ルーラストーン).

Parakeetman

Ah, I see; that's very interesting. I just found the tutorial stuff in the menu, so I'll scroll through it and read the stuff.
Also, yay, just got my zoom stone (ルーラストーン).

haha awesome that thing is so useful when you dont want to pay for the train to go home lol. I think when you raise your fame also the cost of riding the train is reduced. Since currently now that my fame rank went up it just costs me 25G instead of 100G. AH! I know what it is, I think maybe its because I was traveling with a full party and each person = 25G maybe... Ill have to look into that.

Parakeetman

Nah, today's patch notes say that the train fare was reduced to 25G from 100G.

Ah ok. Thats even better then! I didnt read what was in the patch one the servers went back up. Great news for everyone playing the game since complaints about money being hard to come by is valid for those who are not familiar with mmo games and how to go about constantly harvesting things to sell and such. Then relying on the market not to screw you over with your sales.

The largest complaints Ive seen is mainly the money at this point in time.

Aeana

I beat the first boss of the elf story, and got the train pass. I didn't get too far away from town before I was hit with my first death, though, near the border to the next zone. Someone resurrected me, thankfully, but it looks like I've got some training to do on the enemies near the border there.

Life as a priest is interesting. On one hand, I have pretty good survivability, thanks to rihoimi (a spell like regen), but I have to switch weapons to regain MP, which reduces my damage output dramatically. Priest doesn't get any offensive magic besides zaki (whack), and I don't even have it yet, so I have to rely on a spear for damage, and a wand for MP recovery.

The elf story is really interesting, too. They look more like fairies than elves, and the theme of their area is pretty Asian. It's an interesting take on elves/fairies, for sure.

Here's my character as pictured on the DQ10 player site right now:

ezuhp.jpg

Dunan

Which seems better to you so far: thief or ninja?

Can you only name your character in Japanese?

How about typing in-game?

You can use a keyboard for typing, or you can use the ingame typing thing, ti's not so good. I think there's an option to name your character in roman letters. Not sure though. You could always look up a chart and sound out your desired name.

It might be better to post your desired name here and have J-speaking Gaffers convert your name. People putting in Roman letters or meaningless combinations of kana might make other players angry and get the Channel-2 crowd spewing hate at the no-good foreigners with the audacity to cross regions.

Parakeetman

DkfVV.jpg

pic of my character currently. First time using the player site so interesting stuff that all this info exists! The sword is outdated.

Yeah the elf area is most def japanese in design along with the clothing. Reminds me of the Heian period. Out of all the races Id have to say they stand out the most in regards to clothing that they wear. The NPCs in the cutscenes that is.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sales were 420K first week according to Famitsu.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Question about the sidequests, what are they like? 9 had some really annoying sidequests - a mix of the "get 10 wolf hides" and other things like "kill 3 metal slimes with a sudden death move that has a really low chance of hitting" that require mostly on luck. 9's sidequests really pissed me off and soured me on the game a bit... are 10's more substantial and less random/grindy?

Parakeetman

Question about the sidequests, what are they like? 9 had some really annoying sidequests - a mix of the "get 10 wolf hides" and other things like "kill 3 metal slimes with a sudden death move that has a really low chance of hitting" that require mostly on luck. 9's sidequests really pissed me off and soured me on the game a bit... are 10's more substantial and less random/grindy?

So far there really has not been anything for me thats kill X amount of Y. Sometimes you need to bring someone something, go to a certain location, fight in X area on the map till an item is dropped from a specified monster type, search for something at Y.

Its nothing really special, but the reason why you want to do quests is to raise your fame level which has an effect on how many items you can sell in the Bazaar I do believe. Not too sure what else the fame levels will effect. Need to check up on that.

Espresso

Banned
My game's here, but stupid Amazon mailed my USB drive a day late, so I'm going to head over to Staples and buy one and tell Amazon to refund me. What do I pay for Prime for, anyways?

Edit: Ah, FedEx is to blame. They mailed it to another state when it was in my area 2 days ago... What's funny is that a package from Asia arrived earlier.

Edit: Which code is for registration? There's like 10 codes here.

muu

Should be the sheet clear on th eback, it's a full size sheet with dragon quest x on it.

Planning to get started today, still thinking what I want to start as. Tempted to start as a ogre Mage, if it becomes anything like ff11 max mp will be the most meaningless stat to have...

Parakeetman

Since you can recover MP from after battle with skill unlocked + with your stick / wand from physical attacks yeah max MP really doesnt matter all that much, unless its a real SHTF situation and you are out of MP potions so every last drop counts.

Espresso

Banned
Parakeetman, if I can supply you with mats for thief weapons + a fee, can you +2 me a swanky knife?

Edit: Thanks, muu. I assume these other codes are only good in Japan?

muu

Since you can recover MP from after battle with skill unlocked + with your stick / wand from physical attacks yeah max MP really doesnt matter all that much, unless its a real SHTF situation and you are out of MP potions so every last drop counts.

Yeah that's the thing. Tarus followed that fate, as a couple hunded extra mp didn't get you much more than a single extra spell at high levels, but you had so much lower hp that Your survivability was low. Mana wall alleviated that somewhat as a blm, but most any other job you were at best a backup.

Maybe all this is moot though, object of the game is to become human again anyway (and theres reports of people already getting to that point in the game) and if you could switch between a race that's average on everything and one that is specialized it might not be too bad.

Espresso

Banned
So once you're level capped, you're transformed into a human? I'd prefer to stay one of the fantasy races. :p Can you switch jobs/classes on the fly?

Espresso

Banned
OK it's installed. Do I need the discs anymore or is the whole game now able to run from the flash drive?

Edit: It doesn't let my keyboard type out my name, lame.

Aeana

Charlie? That's how I'd write it.
You should definitely learn to read katakana if you don't know how. It'll help you dramatically in any Japanese game, and it doesn't take very long.

Espresso

Banned
Thanks. By the way, are these just offline characters I'm naming or is the primary character the one I'll be taking online?

If you don't mind, did I get this right?

I'm rolling with Street Fighter names, if you didn't notice. :p

Aeana

Sakura is right.

The first character you name is your character. You get a chance to rename it just before you go online, but then that's that. The second one is your sibling.

Gloam

Thanks. By the way, are these just offline characters I'm naming or is the primary character the one I'll be taking online?

They give you a chance to change the name again before the online section begins.

Oh no, beaten!

ON a less redundant note, spent most of my time today trying to convince some people to go into a cave. This involved a lot of 'OK?' 'OK.' Followed by some cautious leading and following. Once we got to the cave the party disconnected and I was killed by a couple of imp things. I'd like to think the disconnection was not an elaborate trap.

My main goal at the moment is to add of all of you guys to my friends list. Figure the game'll be easier to handle with a few more English speakers around. Whole experience is making me wish I'd kept up my Japanese lessons through University, or taken Japanese seriously in secondary school.

Espresso

Banned
I appreciate it!

Edit:

I made the 'P' symbol the larger one from the left column, is that bad? The right column had a lot of duplicate looking characters so I think I may have chosen a similar looking, but incorrect character. :p

Forever

Banned
I appreciate it!

Edit:

I made the 'P' symbol the larger one from the left column, is that bad? The right column had a lot of duplicate looking characters so I think I may have chosen a similar looking, but incorrect character. :p

Sakura looks right to me, but I think it should be チャーリ on the left. Cha not Chiya.

Espresso

Banned
Thanks! It's so confusing with so many look-alike characters.

Edit: I have no idea what to do offline. I talked to the fat guy with a pink chat bubble.

Aeana

I just noticed an option in the options called "自動さつえい設定" or auto-shoot settings. In there, you can have the game automatically take a photo when you beat bosses, and upload it to the player site. That's pretty cool. I wish I had noticed it before.

Thanks! It's so confusing with so many look-alike characters.

Edit: I have no idea what to do offline. I talked to the fat guy with a pink chat bubble.
IIRC the first thing you need to do is go to アバ's house in the south, and talk to the guy in the side room. Then he'll tell you to collect two items from townspeople in the northern part of town, bring those back to him and he'll make a pillow for アバ and that'll progress the story.

Carlisle

I'm loving following this thread. It's so cool to see DQX in action like this, it looks great! When it was first announced as a MMO, I was one of the naysayers... but this thread, seeing all you fine gaffers ripping it up in the game... how can I naysay? HOW?! I should have known that one glimpse of others playing this would bring me right back. So pumped for this! I've even entertained the idea of attempting an import setup of my own. But I'll hold off for now if I can.

I started playing through the series a couple years back, but stopped partway through DQ3 due to life. I had a thread going and everything. I'm going to resume my playthrough and move on through the rest of the series. There's nothing quite like a new DQ game to get the DQ fever going.

Espresso

Banned
I just noticed an option in the options called "自動さつえい設定" or auto-shoot settings. In there, you can have the game automatically take a photo when you beat bosses, and upload it to the player site. That's pretty cool. I wish I had noticed it before.

IIRC the first thing you need to do is go to アバ's house in the south, and talk to the guy in the side room. Then he'll tell you to collect two items from townspeople in the northern part of town, bring those back to him and he'll make a pillow for アバ and that'll progress the story.

Gracias! I'll have to remember to check that setting when I get online.

Top Bottom