• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
DQ9 allows it to be played as a normal DQ game, despite the multiplayer aspects. That's the main difference between the two, and the reason there's so many negative reviews on Amazon (if you read them, that's the main complaint, one guy said "this sadly isn't a game for us in our 30's and 40's who aren't gamers").

With the news of the servers being expanded, I wonder if the game will overcome this stigma. I know it's stupid, but I cringe whenever I hear a MMORPG player talk about DQX. When I buy it, I want to be under the illusion it's be and a bunch of other people who've never really dabbled in MMORPGs, and our love of DQ awkwardly brought us here, initially in the solo server section, and then slowly into the main servers.

If you ever saw what happened with DQIX people bitched and moaned to no end just because it was on a hand held. Plus the fact that it added multiplayer among other things.

IX though did have a shit story with horrible characters. Esp Sandy. MP with friends was something different though and other people seemed to enjoy just constantly crafting things for their characters.

It really is too bad that they have not gotten Level5 to make one of the same quality level that VIII was.

urfe

I was going to reply with "that was different!", but I realize the difference is I loved DQIX (bought Japanese and English versions!), and think the complaints are not warranted (except about Sandy, especially in Japanese), while since I'm wary about X myself, think they're more justified.

As for the story though, I play DQ games for the atmosphere way more than the story. Walking into a new town or new area in DQIX was just as exciting as it was in the older games. I guess this is why the story is one thing I'm not wary about in DQX. As long as it has that DQ atmosphere, I'm all good.

Parakeetman

I was going to reply with "that was different!", but I realize the difference is I loved DQIX (bought Japanese and English versions!), and think the complaints are not warranted (except about Sandy, especially in Japanese), while since I'm wary about X myself, think they're more justified.

As for the story though, I play DQ games for the atmosphere way more than the story. Walking into a new town or new area in DQIX was just as exciting as it was in the older games. I guess this is why the story is one thing I'm not wary about in DQX. As long as it has that DQ atmosphere, I'm all good.

DQX is more DQ than IX was which is hilarious actually, besides the fact its an online game. Its bad the story went to shit in IX since it started off ok. Sandy didnt fit the whole world itself, the teacher was some generic looking bald nobody, the most interesting looking angel was only an NPC that stayed in the inn for MP play.

IX would have been so much more better if they actually had a good scenario writer along with basically main character design for said story. The game started off good then it all went downhill from there. In terms of the story.

herod

Closest thing which fans would understand is its an online version of Dragon Quest IX with a better story / characters.

Just a quick question about this, do you mean the NPCs are better? Or implying that playing with humans is better than NPC characters.

Parakeetman

Just a quick question about this, do you mean the NPCs are better? Or implying that playing with humans is better than NPC characters.

The writing of the story in general seems to be better done than the mess that was IX. NPC characters that appear in the story. Granted its done a little differently with the story being spread out over all the continents you go to in game. But the starting point of events is the same with what happens in the prologue. There is also the offline part of the game, where the story continues from where the prologue left off with the other character you created. As upon starting the game you create 2 human characters, who are older / younger brother / sister depending on your choice.

Wiz

No problem and hope that your questions were answered. If you or anyone else has more always feel free to ask away.

Great job man.

How expansive is the current world? What's the average number of players online at any given time? Just want to get a feel for how big this game is currently.

Forever

Banned
DQ9 allows it to be played as a normal DQ game, despite the multiplayer aspects. That's the main difference between the two, and the reason there's so many negative reviews on Amazon (if you read them, that's the main complaint, one guy said "this sadly isn't a game for us in our 30's and 40's who aren't gamers").

Actually the negative reviews on Amazon are just 2ch trolls, the same exact thing happened with DQIX.

I'm surprised they were able to double the number of servers so quickly.

Parakeetman

Great job man.

How expansive is the current world? What's the average number of players online at any given time? Just want to get a feel for how big this game is currently.

Since there is no given actual number its hard to tell. But the fact that SQEX just doubled the amount of servers should give you an idea that its a pretty large number. Even with the new servers the game still seems super crowded. Its kinda crazy in the evenings. Though as it gets closer to the weekends we will see just how crowded it will be. Right now since its almost 12:00am most folks Id assume are starting to head off to sleep and such, so the servers are calming down. Just looked at the list and most are at normal status now. Some even on low. But thats expected for the weekdays at this hour Id suppose.

The world itself seems to be pretty big for a mmo that just got started. Still have not seen the middle continent yet either.

I am currently playing DQIX (for the first time) and I dont see much the negatives outside the lack of personality for your main character (and the fairy). However the series is not known for the best stories (or plot). V had a very unique way of telling a story with some nice twists but the plot is hardly something to write about. I like more the quirky silly characters with a simple premise thats what defines Dragon Quest for me. Not to forget the music!

I hope to get to play DQX in the future or I have to start learning Japanese. So far what I have seen from the streams have been interesting but not so persuasive.

Gambit

Say, are there any videos of the character creation?
I am particularly interested in an elf video.

I think in one of the streams I saw the ogre creation, but that's it. In IX I found it surprisingly charming, so I am curious to see the options for X.

Thanks

Gloam

storafötter;40719630 said:
I am currently playing DQIX (for the first time) and I dont see much the negatives outside the lack of personality for your main character (and the fairy). However the series is not known for the best stories (or plot). V had a very unique way of telling a story with some nice twists but the plot is hardly something to write about. I like more the quirky silly characters with a simple premise thats what defines Dragon Quest for me. Not to forget the music!

I hope to get to play DQX in the future or I have to start learning Japanese. So far what I have seen from the streams have been interesting but not so persuasive.

For my money the stories are the best part of a Dragon Quest game, not so much the overall plot, more the little stories that you get in each new location. They've been consistently charming, imaginative and poignant throughout the series in general. So far, from what I've experienced of DQX the vignettes are pretty good. Hope it stays that way.

For my money the stories are the best part of a Dragon Quest game, not so much the overall plot, more the little stories that you get in each new location. They've been consistently charming, imaginative and poignant throughout the series in general. So far, from what I've experienced of DQX the vignettes are pretty good. Hope it stays that way.

You have a good point as I didnt think of the little stories as much. I do enjoy them a lot!

Aeana

iuAinOqIww26P.jpg

Aeana

Love Song 探して/Only Lonely Boy in the installer was nice at first but it drove me nuts after a while.
I got an error while installing ot the USB device about 30% in. Trying it again, but I may have to go buy another device. This is just a USB SD card reader with a 16GB card in it (same thing I use for USB Loader).

Aeana

I'm really happy that this game lets you check wardrobes and barrels and stuff. It wouldn't feel like DQ without that.
The framerate is really not very good even in the offline part. :(

Forever

Banned
Gloam suggested that I put this maps site into the OP but I'm not sure what category it'd fall under. Maybe I'll make a resource category when more stuff emerges.

Aeana

Talking to NPCs really pays off, just like any other DQ game. This dude gave me a strength ring out of nowhere. <3

Aeana

omg, Slime knights are so cute when they're standing around. They are standing next to their slimes with their hands on the slime's head, looking around.

Gloam

omg, Slime knights are so cute when they're standing around. They are standing next to their slimes with their hands on the slime's head, looking around.

It's a great touch, just like a jockey standing next to a horse. The monster animations in general are really great, love the tumble animation when you get a critical hit.

Teknoman

Ugh...the fact that people are saying its like an online DQ IX with a better story make me want to play the game that much more. Gotta force myself to wait for the WiiU version.

Aeana

I don't know if it'll work the same in online since positioning is a bit more sketchy in online games sometimes, but I like how you can push enemies to keep them from reaching another party member.

So the story is actually better than DQIX, meaning, there's actually a narrative that drives the game forward with a meaningful story and characters?

If it feels like a traditional DQ game than I'd be tempted to pick this up if it comes over here. I'd get a Wii U if it's free online, which I'm expecting and hoping it's free in the west if it gets localized.

Gambit

I made my character, an elf priest. VERSION UPDATING now.

Wish I could have seen that. That is the combination I was interested in as well. That reminds me: Maybe the active players could show us what their characters look like!

Since you mentioned the framerate, didn't the Iwata Asks for this game mention that the frame rate is worse in the offline part? Might have been a wrong translation, though

Aeana

It seems that one of Overplay's VPN servers doesn't bypass the IP lock, but I got through it by switching to another. Also, the credit card option uses SE's Crysta system that they established for FF14, so most likely it will require a Japanese address/credit card combo.

Forever

Banned
Also, the credit card option uses SE's Crysta system that they established for FF14, so most likely it will require a Japanese address/credit card combo.
Tch, that's too bad. A fake address and a western credit card wouldn't work?

Aeana

Tch, that's too bad. A fake address and a western credit card wouldn't work?
I don't know if they check the address you supply against the credit card info or not. Someone here who has used Crysta for FF14 may be able to answer that.

I was one of two people really hyped for this game when it was announced. The amount of hate it received was mindboggling.

But I am really glad to see so many people are enjoying it a lot. I really, REALLY hope it gets localized for Wii U over here.

Forever

Banned
I don't know if they check the address you supply against the credit card info or not. Someone here who has used Crysta for FF14 may be able to answer that.

Apparently it's a currency system, like Wii Points? I'm not sure how much of what's written there is relevant to the Japanese side, but it says that you can use PayPal.

Aeana

I don't think you have to actually buy the Crysta points to pay via credit card; there seems to be a direct pay option that you can set to bill recurringly. I most likely will be paying via Wii points, because the Wii shop accepts foreign credit cards without an address. I honestly think the absolutely most hassle-free way for anybody to play this outside of Japan is going to be to buy a really cheap used Wii, like one of those $50 ones, and install homebrew channel and do a full-on region conversion to JP, and then you're totally free to just pay via Wii points no problem and you don't have to worry about deleting your main shop account.

Gloam

Is anyone playing an Ogre? If so,
what do I do after initiating the story quest with the old human guy and the king of in the mountain city?
Thanks in advance!

Parakeetman

Are thieves or ninjas the dual wielders of DQX?

No dual wielding and they are not like ninjas. Basically they are exactly what you would expect from a thief. They can steal and search for treasure. Cept in this game they also are able to use a variety of low level magic all non offensive type for the most part. Most useful being able to heal also.

Wish I could have seen that. That is the combination I was interested in as well. That reminds me: Maybe the active players could show us what their characters look like!

Since you mentioned the framerate, didn't the Iwata Asks for this game mention that the frame rate is worse in the offline part? Might have been a wrong translation, though

Framerate is low overall.

Is anyone playing an Ogre? If so,
what do I do after initiating the story quest with the old human guy and the king of in the mountain city?
Thanks in advance!
Just go to the &#12379;&#12435;&#12428;&#12365; command and look at &#12371;&#12428;&#12414;&#12391;&#12398;&#12399;&#12394;&#12375; since it tells you exactly where you need to go for the most part. Ive done that quest which will involve
2 different boss fights first one can be done around lv 20, 2nd one Id suggest being lv 28 and up since even at 28 I lost 2 NPCs in the fight, plus was lucky since the boss didnt go using &#12473;&#12459;&#12521; twice in a row making physical attacks useless for a good portion of the time while it was active.

For the most part Im usually on server 20.

---

Some suggestions for new players. Read signs if you see them outside of any sort of entrance / heading towards a new area. They will usually warn you how strong enemies are. Crossing bridges can mean stronger enemies are on the other side. Areas with old broken looking wooden fences / barricade sort of thing means strong enemies are on the other side, usually even worse than crossing a bridge.

Server maintenance from 1000 till 1200

Espresso

Banned
Which seems better to you so far: thief or ninja?

Can you only name your character in Japanese?

How about typing in-game?

Top Bottom