• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gotta say, this game is fucking awesome so far.
Yap. The game super polished and exploration is great and I'm not just talking exploring open area, I'm also talking about exploring towns and cities. Like finding books to read for nice lore or new recipe for weapons and gears and making those weapons and gears super fun thanks to how addicting and fun the crafting is.

hecatomb

Banned
I just hope they release the dragon quest 1,2,3 ports on psn. Im also wondering if they are going to make dragon quest heroes 3. Pretty sure Jade will be the number 1 pick for heroes 3.

Danjin44

I wonder how sells are. It got great reviews. I hope they are discussing XII. They know the UNREAL engine now.
Japanese games are really benefiting with Unreal engine, with game like Octopath, DQXI and upcoming games like KHIII, SMTV and Daemon X Machina. They getting interesting visuals out of the engine.

bigedole

Going to just spoiler most of my post so I can type freely about the 2nd half of the game.

So I just finished the section in the Dundrasil ruins and I really liked it! The plot of this game is very simple but I'm honestly really happy with how it's executed. I thought I'd be more annoyed exploring so long without my favorite party members, as we've literally recruited them in almost exact reverse order of preference lol and even after 8 or so hours into the 2nd half I'm still missing the last 3 people! It's amazing how much meat there is to this game, and I haven't yet felt like I'm wasting my time. Genuinely enjoying it. Bosses have also been much harder on the 2nd half, which is a welcome change!

TLZ

Banned
I wish square takes FF back to this style. I don't know why they deviated and went all out action. Leave that for another game.

Teletraan1

Banned
Played for about 10h so far. Really enjoying it. I really like the way this looks. The animations are so well done. I really appreciate keeping this series so close to its roots. This is exactly what I wanted when I thought about what they could do in 20 years as a kid. Beautiful graphics and locations with that same gameplay and battle system. They had fucked up Final Fantasy by the time we got to HD. Now it is unrecognizable to what the older games in the series were. I am just glad this series got saved from the gaming ghetto of handhelds. I am enjoying this revival of series that were jettisoned to limited handhelds with games like this and Valkyria Chronicles. Just ordered a new TV so I am going to hold off on playing too much until it arrives.

120v

I wish square takes FF back to this style. I don't know why they deviated and went all out action. Leave that for another game.

in terms of jrpg conventions DQ has always been the milquetoast obedient sibling while FF was the leather jacket wearing, cigarette smoking one. maybe FF will be turn based again but i don't think it's ever really going back to the old school

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Dragon quest stayed turn based, cause the biggest fanbase is Japan, and they just like turn based combat. They also listen to the fans and give them what they want. Only dragon quest 10 didn't do to well cause they went for the mmo style which is not big in Japan.

Final fantasy is a Lot bigger in the west, and sells more in the west, and it could because also they could have seen reviews about people complaining about turn based combat.

I just got to the mermaid village and goddamn is it ever pretty. I simultaneously want to listen to Octopus's Garden and Part of Your World

Teletraan1

Banned
Dragon quest stayed turn based, cause the biggest fanbase is Japan, and they just like turn based combat. They also listen to the fans and give them what they want. Only dragon quest 10 didn't do to well cause they went for the mmo style which is not big in Japan.

Final fantasy is a Lot bigger in the west, and sells more in the west, and it could because also they could have seen reviews about people complaining about turn based combat.

They can change it to whatever they want. Doesn't mean I am going to buy it. I own every game in the series and if FFXVI is more similar to XV than IX I won't be purchasing it. I gave XV a fair shake but it was not at all what I wanted out of a FF game. The VII remake looks to be heading in the same direction. A FFVII in the same vein as how this game was handled would have been my ultimate remake rather than my ultimate disappointment. The 3 Final Fantasy games on PS1 were among my favorite. They were all hampered by a move to 3D assets when the hardware was primitive. The gameplay and gameplay systems were fine.

Dunki

Ok for the first time I really feel I have the need to grind. I am level 40/41 and I am on the Eric Boss and he utterly destroys me... He often even one shots me with 350 HP.... I really need some advise here...

RPGCrazied

Buff, debuff. Its key to many of the boss battles. I don't see how one can beat some of those without doing that.

Last edited:

Dunki

Buff, debuff. Its key to many of the boss battles. I don't see how one can beat some of those without doing that.
I can not really do that if I have to heal all the time and then get one shoted though. He really seems to go for the people who can resurect others.. So my main and Rab at this point...

hecatomb

Banned
I can not really do that if I have to heal all the time and then get one shoted though. He really seems to go for the people who can resurect others.. So my main and Rab at this point...
you might just be too low level. Or you also can try making better armor.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
25 hours in on Draconian Quest and still having a blast.

bXKr2fs.jpg

Ha1vhWn.jpg

oe13Sgv.jpg

Dunki

you might just be too low level. Or you also can try making better armor.
Thats the question. I am level 41 for most parts in Erics Story line with strong enemies? Am I too low or do I just mess something terrible up in this fight? ^^

hecatomb

Banned
They are not a challenge in this dungeon... It is just the boss. Do you know what level you were with this boss?
I beat the boss 1st try, but it could be cause I've been playing since dragon quest 1, you also can switch party members during fights also. So you could get all your party members the best gear, and keep switching them during the fight. Also I'm not sure if you did rework your armor at the forge?

Last edited:
Guys, I started the game a couple days ago. The reviews were all like "The best in the series but terribly easy".

I hate easy games so I went into the "Draconian" stuff and most of them were terrible, like not being able to use shops/equip armor stuff like that. So I picked the only one that wouldn't destroy part of what makes the game. I went with the stronger enemies. Is somebody going the same route as me? Does it get cheap and you hit a wall or it makes the game have the challenge I desire?

Lovely graphics and story so far. Pretty good.

hecatomb

Banned
stronger enemies is a lot better if you want a challenge, its pretty easy if you don't play with any Draconian on

Dunki

I beat the boss 1st try, but it could be cause I've been playing since dragon quest 1, you also can switch party members during fights also. So you could get all your party members the best gear, and keep switching them during the fight. Also I'm not sure if you did rework your armor at the forge?
Yeah I can switch people out but I also still miss Serena and Veronica and Eric seems kind of useless since he oes not do any damage at all with knifes. As for Armor I did most part but then I wanted to push the story a bit since Valkyria is also coming out in 2 days. I I could get my people alive that would help since I and JAde do eally good damage on this guy.

hecatomb

Banned
Yeah I can switch people out but I also still miss Serena and Veronica and Eric seems kind of useless since he oes not do any damage at all with knifes. As for Armor I did most part but then I wanted to push the story a bit since Valkyria is also coming out in 2 days. I I could get my people alive that would help since I and JAde do eally good damage on this guy.
you should use buff, and kabuff, and sap on the boss

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m caught up on my other games so I just bought this. I’m a huge JRPG fan, but this will somehow be my first DQ game.

Danjin44

I’m caught up on my other games so I just bought this. I’m a huge JRPG fan, but this will somehow be my first DQ game.
DQXI should nice jolly JRPG after.....

Sad ending of Torna. I knew this not gonna have happy ending but seeing Mythra shock causes her turn in to Pyra. Basically she developed multiple personality disorder.

Fox1966

Neo Member
I've played for about 30 hours now, and I just want to say that I am loving it more and more. It's like being inside a living, breathing animated world! The story, the characters, the graphics, and the attention to every tiny little detail is just incredible. I've played a lot of RPG's, and I think this one has become my all time favorite. I imagine I will still be thinking about it long after it's over....

Fired up my ps2 to finish up DQ 8 left it hanging near end. For some reason dragon quest 11 will likely disappoint me after just playing 8 but well I hope I am wrong. Otherwise I might just put it on hold and do a year with DQ 7 ps1 version I hear it’s the longest one with most impressive dungeons.

hecatomb

Banned
dragon quest 8 on 3ds has a lot more, you can even see metal slimes in some places. And you also can get Red and Morrie on your team.

GenericUser

Just finished the "main story" at level 68 with around 64hrs played. Best jrpg since FF12. A masterpiece. I hope I don't have to wait another 13 years to play the next great jrpg.

GenericUser

The only other big rpg coming out is kingdom hearts 3, there is some rumors that dragon quest heroes 3 is coming out, but both of those are action rpgs
yeah, i don't like kingdom hearts and dragon quest builders is hardly a traditional jrpg. But thanks.

Dunki

theres also the spell accelerate that makes you faster. You can always use defend once you are on low hp and make the hero heal your other party members
Yeah I use the one from Sylvando. By the way how much longer is the game? I kind of want to rush and maybe disable the stronger enemies option. There s just so much that comes out these days. I still hav Valkyria and I also have barely touched Two Point hospital and not even Installed Bards Tale IV.....

hecatomb

Banned
Yeah I use the one from Sylvando. By the way how much longer is the game? I kind of want to rush and maybe disable the stronger enemies option. There s just so much that comes out these days. I still hav Valkyria and I also have barely touched Two Point hospital and not even Installed Bards Tale IV.....
Depending if you what you want to do the game is pretty long if you play with the difficulty settings on, it can take 90 hours or more. I didn't use Sylvando on the fight though, I used hero-dps-healer, jade-claws, Erik-daggers, serena-wands-healer 2

Last edited:

manfestival

Is it better to stick to doing regular bashes when forging items? I started trying the other methods and end up always going beyond the green line.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe this is 100% coincidental but

Every time I've turned this game off, left it off for 12+ hours, then started it back up: the first enemy I encounter has 3+ metal slimes with it. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I getting incredibly lucky? Erik's metalcutter boomerang ability is slaughtering these fools en masse, and I'm raising my character's levels 2-3 times every time I boot up the game, which has helped with not having to grind. Could just be me getting incredibly lucky though, but it's happened 4 times now in exactly the same way.

bigedole

Is it better to stick to doing regular bashes when forging items? I started trying the other methods and end up always going beyond the green line.

You'll learn as you get along. You have to get a feel for how much something needs to be worked. Once you get to 3 star equipment, you won't be using regular bash much at all.

Danjin44

You'll learn as you get along. You have to get a feel for how much something needs to be worked. Once you get to 3 star equipment, you won't be using regular bash much at all.
Which what makes the crafting fun and addicting.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this is 100% coincidental but

Every time I've turned this game off, left it off for 12+ hours, then started it back up: the first enemy I encounter has 3+ metal slimes with it. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I getting incredibly lucky? Erik's metalcutter boomerang ability is slaughtering these fools en masse, and I'm raising my character's levels 2-3 times every time I boot up the game, which has helped with not having to grind. Could just be me getting incredibly lucky though, but it's happened 4 times now in exactly the same way.
I got 5 metal slimes once. I was severely under leveled cause I was barely fighting things. Got a bunch of crits and suddenly I was like 4+levels up. Metal slimes are neat only 1 ran away ^^

hecatomb

Banned
the best way to level up is to use hero, jade, and sylvando pep power to summon metal slimes, and use Erik and use his ability to always crit hits. You can save pep powers by switching out party members.

Last edited:
Top Bottom