• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

RK9039

amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Did Dark Arisen add more big monsters to the field? In the og Chimeras & Cyclops had multiple spawn locations but mostly everything else only had 1.

Nillansan

Pretty much.

Okay, please re-read my complaint regarding port begging.

I expressed my desire for a PC version of Persona 5 in a thread about an Atlus representative answering a question related to PC, but yeah nice to know that my posts are getting noticed on GAF.

How far did you get in the game?

Finished it, and then went and bought Dark Arisen too. Got both on release. It started off great, but soon moving around the world became very repetitive, fighting the same mobs in the same places, and hearing the same dialogue over and over. Having very limited to fast-travel until late in the game was a bad idea.

There is a solid foundation for a sequel to build on, but the original game is flawed in my opinion.

galvenize

Okay, please re-read my complaint regarding port begging.

I expressed my desire for a PC version of Persona 5 in a thread about an Atlus representative answering a question related to PC, but yeah nice to know that my posts are getting noticed on GAF.

Fine. Still, the way you immediatly jumped on those who were port begging still irked me.

Nillansan

Fine. Still, the way you immediatly jumped on those who were port begging still irked me.

Why does it irk you? I think it is a perfectly reasonable complaint. There is a difference between what I did and derailing a thread dedicated to a specific platform. This type of behaviour is deemed unacceptable elsewhere, I am not sure why it shouldn't apply to this thread.

jacobeid

Banned

Bruh, you and others asking for console ports are derailing a thread about a PC release. The guy you went detective mode on talked about a Persona 5 PC release.....in a thread about an Atlus rep discussing a Persona 5 PC release. You're quite a bit in the wrong here, just chill out.

Baalzebup

Exactly what I wrote.

22 sites of people subconsciously claiming that PC gaming is the best thing in this world and consoles shouldn't even exist.

Already played it. Don't really need it again.

A lot of us already played the game on consoles and are now looking forward to playing it at a reasonable framerate. Keep your platform wars junk to yourself.

Yeah..... That you don't see the need to play it again doesn't mean other people don't want to play it at a superior IQ and more importantly, a stable frame rate. I've had gaming PCs and several consoles of various makers and generations side by side for over 15 years. I'm happy having options to my gaming hobby.

jacobeid

Banned
Exactly what I wrote.

Why even bother fucking posting in the thread then? Plenty of people haven't played it (myself included), and many others appreciate the fact that the game is now unshackled from last gen.

My ignore list can't handle the shit posting on GAF lately.

Fantastic news, Dragon's Dogma is one of favorite games of last generation and happy for it to get in more gamers hands. Any chance Capcom could convince Sony/Microsoft to transfer save data on to the PC? I mean I am happy it's coming to PC, but on the other hand... that's 500+ hours of Dragon's Dogma for nothing :/

teiresias

Is the PC version version missing DOF effects? I know some people hate DoF, but I thought they were put to good use in Dark Arisen and worked well given the longer distance asset quality (something I doubt will get too much overhaul). I'm not talking about the softness inherent in the image quality on PS3 that really was atrocious due to the resolution, but the actual DoF effects.

Damerman

So who's going to create the mod to put "Into Free" back into the intro?

even if it's cheezy as hell and jarring when you consider the genre it's used for.. i want it. the song is still good.

EDIT: man, my mind is going through my first time playing that game... so fucking awesome. I'm gonna play the shit out of this come January. Fuck every other game(yes, even uncharted), i'll save them for summer drought.

EDIT2: I hope we get native DS4 support on PC...

EDIT3: man, I'm just so happy with this announcement.

Sectus

Fantastic news, Dragon's Dogma is one of favorite games of last generation and happy for it to get in more gamers hands. Any chance Capcom could convince Sony/Microsoft to transfer save data on to the PC? I mean I am happy it's coming to PC, but on the other hand... that's 500+ hours of Dragon's Dogma for nothing :/

I doubt an official save conversion tool will be released, but this might be doable with modding. The save file for Dragon's Dogma (on xbox 360 at least) is a compressed xml file. So if the save format stays similar, it would be doable to make a converter.

Is the PC version version missing DOF effects? I know some people hate DoF, but I thought they were put to good use in Dark Arisen and worked well given the longer distance asset quality (something I doubt will get too much overhaul). I'm not talking about the softness inherent in the image quality on PS3 that really was atrocious due to the resolution, but the actual DoF effects.

If it is we can always use reshade and input some good bokeh

rbenchley

I doubt there will be official support for transferring saves from PS3/360, but I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising players figure out how people can do it on their own. There are a number of cross-platform games (Fallout, Skyrim) that people where able to transfer their saves over. Hopefully there will be a Nexus Mods community set up for the game where stuff like this can be collected and easily found.

derExperte

Bruh, you and others asking for console ports are derailing a thread about a PC release. The guy you went detective mode on talked about a Persona 5 PC release.....in a thread about an Atlus rep discussing a Persona 5 PC release. You're quite a bit in the wrong here, just chill out.

To be fair a dev posted earlier in this thread so a few asking for console versions isn't quite as bad as it was for example in the XCOM 2 threads where it reached embarrassing levels.

Great news. How much more is there to Dark Arisen than the base game?

Dark Arisen adds a new dungeon that's pretty massive. There's also a bunch of quality of life fixes (more teleport-stones, etc).

Works out to an additional 20+ hours on top of the 50+ in the main-game (not counting replays, hidden side-quests, etc).

Only complaint I have about DA is that the grind for better gear is kinda aggravating. You'll need some good stuff to scratch the bosses in the expansion's dungeon.

RedFury

I'm glad this is coming to PC this is the ONE and only game I just could not get through because of performance issues.

Finished it, and then went and bought Dark Arisen too. Got both on release. It started off great, but soon moving around the world became very repetitive, fighting the same mobs in the same places, and hearing the same dialogue over and over. Having very limited to fast-travel until late in the game was a bad idea.

There is a solid foundation for a sequel to build on, but the original game is flawed in my opinion.
I will agree with you that the first stages of the game can be a bit dry past the novelty of seeing everything for the first time. This is especially apparent when doing NG+. That could have been done better. BUT I love the endgame stuff and how it rectifies many of the complaints you might have before that point (weak enemies, same enemy placement, underwhelming loot, etc). Its hard for me to complain.

jacobeid

Banned
No idea what took so long, there absolutely was interest in a PC version.

Cannot wait.

Capcom seems to be making decisions aligned more with consumer interest in mind than they were toward the end of the PS3/360 generation. Not sure why or what happened, but it's very much welcomed.

GavinUK86

So what's the general opinion on DD? I only ever played the first 10 minutes of the original and didn't think much of it.

It's a flawed masterpiece.

Baalzebup

So what's the general opinion on DD? I only ever played the first 10 minutes of the original and didn't think much of it.

Good variety of different classes, god-tier combat with natural flow to the action and options that are usually only present as QTEs, (one of) the best application of traditional fantasy battle magics by visuals and actual effects both. They main story goes nowhere fast, but when it resurfaces there is some really good stuff there. There is some outstanding voicework in the game, especially that of the Dragon.

The game has some jank to it and some of the NPC/Pawn chatter will get tiresome. It can get repetitive and grindy (you mileage may vary a great deal here, and skipping easy encounters in the overland areas is simply a matter of running past them) and some dislike the relatively limited fast travel options (far improved from vanilla DD however). The "romance" system is pure ass and can easily lead to some unintended hilarity. The inventory management is passable at best and you can accumulate a lot of useless trash.

That should about sum it up, methinks, but in the end, this is the Word:

Dark Arisen is one of the best games of last gen easily.

Best combat in an ARPG by a mile.
Almost forgot: A brilliant day/night cycle with the night being actually dark and oppressive. You really need that lantern of yours and a completely new set of face-eating gribblies crawls forth at night.

Well here are cons and pros:

+Incredible Combat. Fluid and insane. Tactical and visceral. Everything about the combat is simply perfect.
+Nice arisen companion idea. AI is clever and sometimes they act like humans.
+Fucking Huge

-Story can be meh
-No coop
-Monster design can be meh for people expecting Souls like design
-Fetch quests
-Boring level-up-your-weapon system

If we get mods then a few cons will probably be modable. Coop would easily make this 8/10 game to 9.5/10.

yes!
this is the game western rpg lover deserved, but never managed to get..
this is the battle system that elder scroll should reach at a certain point, in a better alternate version of our future :L
bask our eyes in the glory of dragon's dogma...
ready for another run on pc this time!

monster design is good, just not japanese-souls-good :|
but i can live with that

Capcom seems to be making decisions aligned more with consumer interest in mind than they were toward the end of the PS3/360 generation. Not sure why or what happened, but it's very much welcomed.

I would assume it happened because they had to port the engine for DD:Online to PC in the first place, and since the game seems to massively reuse everything from the original, I guess it wasn't too hard to make a PC port of the original, which will let them both make money and test the waters for a western release of DD:Online(which sadly so far looks kinda garbage, especially if you've played the original already since it reuses everything with very few new things and a lot of things removed). I don't feel it's a coincidence this is being released only a few months after the DD:Online japanese beta started.

The good thing is the PC client isn't too bad for DD:Online, from what I've seen. I don't customize graphics stuff too much though so take that with a grain of salt, but the game ran well and didn't have any really weird features that some port have, at least that I've noticed. I guess it had a 30FPS/60FPS toggle with no other options, so 60FPS might be the best you can get, but that beats 20FPS on PS3 anyway(or 5 if you played a mystic knight in combat).

Really looking forward to this, I played through the game twice already(vanilla then dark arisen) and I've played almost every class, but I guess I'll just revisit it again. Just need to figure out a class. I kinda hope they add some balance stuff to the game also but not holding my breath.

ppor

-Monster design can be meh for people expecting Souls like design

I thought the traditional mythological monster design was a fresh breath of air. Too many games try to "innovate" on top of iconic designs, but end up with something blander.

Not talking about Souls monsters though, they're legit awesome.

explodet

+ This fortress serves as a fine bulwark against monsters.
+ They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

- All roads lead to Gran Soren.
- Wolves hunt in packs!

Top Bottom