• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

Anteater

An all mage team or all archer team would be destroyed quickly. The cannon fodder enemies will pose no threat, but boss creatures would destroy you quickly because your defense will be weak and you can't nuke them since most bosses will have multiple health bars. You need a tank in your group to draw creatures attention so your mage/archers have time to do their thing.

An all warrior team would not work as well, because then they would have no rang attacks, thus flying enemies like harpies would be tough to fight. You need a balanced team to do good in this game.

It depends what skills there are in the game, and what the mages could do together, different classes have different assistance skills, though I have a feeling they will probably die quick against bosses, I'm not sure how they will balance that.

We've yet to see what mages can do if they exploit enemies weaknesses, for example for the small enemies that's weak against fire, some of them will roll on the ground if you burn them, there might be ways to stun bosses with spells like melee characters could when they poke a cyclops in the eye. Perhaps darkness or light spells could blind them.

Warrior has a skill that allows you to launch other characters up in the air, so does fighter, so maybe there are more we haven't seen.

Slayven

have they explained this yet? I level up a pawn and put him out into the ether, will only one person be able to hire that pawn or can everyone get their own copy?

Anteater

have they explained this yet? I level up a pawn and put him out into the ether, will only one person be able to hire that pawn or can everyone get their own copy?

I would assume everyone gets their copy since they said you could benefit from more people using it, would suck if some lvl10 guy hogs it and give you grapes in return everytime lol

Anteater

I don't know why the JP and NA site seems to have different stuff, the JP site has all of the classes on there since forever and the NA site are releasing those information slowly, but there seems to be more skills information on the NA site.

Here are some screen caps of what pawns can do with you from their official site:

hK7UV.jpg

BRgLz.jpg

0MKoF.jpg

pnCC6.jpg

So you could probably deal with aerial enemies without range to a certain extent since you could hold enemies, etc.

I don't know japanese so I don't know what the captions says for the 2 mages below
Maybe someone could take a jab at it :p

WLoee.jpg

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know japanese so I don't know what the captions says for the 2 mages below
Maybe someone could take a jab at it :p

WLoee.jpg

By timing your button presses correctly, you can dual/combo cast with another pawn. Hence the double tornados in the pic.

Anteater

By timing your button presses correctly, you can dual/combo cast with another pawn. Hence the double tornados in the pic.

Thanks! It doesn't say anything about extra effects? :(

Yea I see the double tornados, I just thought it might have some bonus effect or something other than just getting 2 of them lol

Zeliard

Are pawns also able to do some of the cool climbing stuff, like getting on top of enemies? Has anyone seen that in a vid yet?

Anteater

So this game is sub-HD?

Don't think we know yet, we'll find out when they releases a demo, there are 720p screenshots going around and there are smaller ones too, so we don't know if the 720p shots are bullshots or not (they have ps3 buttons on screen).

Edit: Though I don't think they make bullshots this ugly lol:

Are pawns also able to do some of the cool climbing stuff, like getting on top of enemies? Has anyone seen that in a vid yet?

Yeah, they can climb, I don't remember them doing it in a video, I remember a preview talks about how pawns can run up and climb it if you tell them to be aggressive or something.

moozoom

My first impulse would be to play a strider, as I usually play ranged classes, but magic looks very cool... as do the tank classes. Luckily you seem to be able to change during the game, but I wonder if it resets everything, or if you keep your levels between classes like in FFXI.

I'd like to know the date of the demo... can't wait to create a character.

Santiako

I usually play ranged characters, but I'm almost set on playing a Mystic Knight this time. Maybe the demo will change my mind.

Anteater

My first impulse would be to play a strider, as I usually play ranged classes, but magic looks very cool... as do the tank classes. Luckily you seem to be able to change during the game, but I wonder if it resets everything, or if you keep your levels between classes like in FFXI.

I'd like to know the date of the demo... can't wait to create a character.

You keep the skills, some skills actually carry over like augment skills I think.

I think they let you switch because they want you to experiment with different classes.

ironcreed

Banned
Some of the best footage for me thus far is this quest to slay a Griffin at the top of a tower. The atmosphere has a Shrine of Storms sort of vibe once they get to the top and just looks great in general.

The fight at the end, where they finally get the time to cast meteor is amazing. Unlike a generic meteor spell where you just see some flaming rocks falling straight down from the top of the screen, you actually see meteors streaking in at an angle from the atmosphere. It looks killer.

The quest starts at 1:34:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

For the record, I know many of you have seen most of this footage, but many have not.

1stStrike

Banned
Some of the best footage for me thus far is this quest to slay a Griffin at the top of a tower. The atmosphere has a Shrine of Storms sort of vibe once they get to the top and just looks great in general.

The fight at the end, where they finally get the time to cast meteor is amazing. Unlike a generic meteor spell where you just see some flaming rocks falling straight down from the top of the screen, you actually see meteors streaking in at an angle from the atmosphere. It looks killer.

The quest starts at 1:34:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

For the record, I know many of you have seen most of this footage, but many have not.

Yeah, that fight and spell is cool. It kept pissing me off during the fight how they would keep using the wrong spell, cancel it out, start using the wrong spell again, and then cancel it out and start over. I was just like "PICK THE RIGHT FUCKING SPELL" *rage face*

xextil

Neo Member
A detail that I haven't read anywhere is that, according to what Kinoshita said in a interview with spanish press, some quests only can do it if your character is a woman or man, in that case you can disguise of opposite sex and do the quest! In the same way, some locations will only be accesible if your character is short or tall.

Anteater

A detail that I haven't read anywhere is that, according to what Kinoshita said in a interview with spanish press, some quests only can do it if your character is a woman or man, in that case you can disguise of opposite sex and do the quest! In the same way, some locations will only be accesible if your character is short or tall.

I hope there are ways around the location thing, the cross dressing part makes me wonder if you have to buy the gender specific version or you get both in 1 (and just pick an option to switch between the 2).

There's a scan for berserk armor for females so that's actually kind of cool

ironcreed

Banned

Interesting bit of info. If such is the case, then I guess it only encourages you to keep on playing the game with new characters.

xextil

Neo Member
Interesting bit of info. If such is the case, then I guess it only encourages you to keep on playing the game with new characters.

Maybe a solution can be have a specific pawn in your team to access that locations and open a door from the other side or something like that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Works for me. I intend on making a dwarf anyhow

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So this game is sub-HD?

It looks like they're going towards not rendering the whole frame (hence the letterbox, 1280*608) instead of rendering the whole frame at a lower res and upscaling it.

Is this the first game that does this this gen? There were a few last gen (BG&E, RE4). It's going to suck for the SD plebs.

Loving this game in so many ways but with Diablo III releasing in May as well I'm having trouble deciding how I'd be able to juggle both games at the same time.

Schwabe

what about enemy variety. i saw goblins, bandits, golem, cyclops, hydra, griffin, drake, this lion-snake-goat, spiders, lizards .... what else? i really hope the game got more enemies and not all are shown yet in the streams and trailers...

Anteater

That confirms it
I'm never traveling at night.

I'm such a wuss with that crap, I don't even travel at night in skyrim and it's not even pitch black in that, I remember getting scared by fucking witches and bears, fuck that.

what about enemy variety. i saw goblins, bandits, golem, cyclops, hydra, griffin, drake, this lion-snake-goat, spiders, lizards .... what else? i really hope the game got more enemies and not all are shown yet in the streams and trailers...

I remember reading gamefaqs and someone said there are about more than 20 giant monsters and 50 medium size, I can't confirm it though, since it was in a spanish interview:

http://www.hobbynews.es/videos/dragons-dogma-nos-muestra-su-mundo-35659

I think Itsuno says there are less than 100? or something, so it might be close to the truth, but I don't know whether they're actual different types or palette swaps of the same cyclops =P

Greyvvolf

This game came out of nowhere for me. I remember hearing some information about it and thinking I might buy it when it eventually becomes cheaper. Now with all the newer information and videos, I will buy this game as soon as it comes out. So hyped right now.

I remember seeing a video of the combat and the archer actually pinned a smaller enemy (a Goblin, I think?) to a rock with his arrow. It was awesome. I don't know what class I will use, but they WILL use a bow and arrow.

xextil

Neo Member

In addition to these, in this vid it can see Cockatrice, Ogre and Beholder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-HXQQ7kII&t=5m14s

Anteater said:
I remember reading gamefaqs and someone said there are about more than 20 giant monsters and 50 medium size, I can't confirm it though, since it was in a spanish interview:

http://www.hobbynews.es/videos/drago...su-mundo-35659

I think Itsuno says there are less than 100? or something, so it might be close to the truth, but I don't know whether they're actual different types or palette swaps of the same cyclops =P

Yeah, I was who posted that info. I hope that number is realistic and isn't exaggerated.

1stStrike

Banned
That confirms it
I'm never traveling at night.

I'm such a wuss with that crap, I don't even travel at night in skyrim and it's not even pitch black in that, I remember getting scared by fucking witches and bears, fuck that.

I suppose you wouldn't like Skyrim with the realistic lighting mod.

No candlelight:

Candlelight activated:

Forces you to use magic like candlelight or carry around torches when traveling at night, and as such you never know when you'll wander into something nasty.

Looking forward to reproducing that feeling in this game.

Anteater

I suppose you wouldn't like Skyrim with the realistic lighting mod.

Forces you to use magic like candlelight or carry around torches when traveling at night, and as such you never know when you'll wander into something nasty.

Looking forward to reproducing that feeling in this game.

Yea... no mods on ps3 :(

Without it it was scary enough for me, I didn't use candlelight and torches because I was too lazy to switch between them too (and needed space)

1stStrike

Banned
Yea... no mods on ps3 :(

Without it it was scary enough for me, I didn't use candlelight and torches because I was too lazy to switch between them too (and needed space)

Yeah, Skyrim is a game that really needs to be played on PC IMO. The mods are just amazing.

I also hotkey my spells and weapons (1 - 8 number keys) so it's a cinch to change between them as necessary.

I'm fine with this game being on console, though, as it looks like they did a great job of making it so that you don't need mods to enhance it. I'm really looking forward to actually being scared of the night in a game.

Top Bottom