• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Death #GOF**KYOURSELF (David Jaffe's response to giantbomb/polygon comments)

You know what?

I find it funny that developers are expected to take all kind of abuse and disrespect for their work, but once they throw a F word in response there are some that feel outraged or displeased.

I guess some like to dish it but not to take it. And I'm not talking about Jaffe.

No reasonable person should expect them to take abuse, nor should any reasonable person expect them to return it.

This is a good response to "hate" comments. Funny and harmless.

Plus, it fits the tone of the game (if I'm not mistaken, the game itself says FUCK YOU when you kill/get killed)

Obligatory "Twisted Metal lives on in Drawn To Death" comment

There's certainly an machine gun called the "Fuck You 47" :)

Pomo

I think this is kinda funny and a relatively lighthearted way to jab back at the internet. Looking forward to seeing how the game turns out.

I love the faux maturity in this thread, with the "really" and the "is that necessary" bullshit.

I really can't stomach this attitude in the games industry where people say anything they want about a developer (even their personal lives), yet act offended when they respond in kind / on the same level. It just exudes an inferior childlike mentality when GAF'ers / forum goers hide behind the notion of "you're a developer or industry person, you can't say that to me".

Good. Fantastic. Developers are human beings and it can be really demoralizing to have something you've poured your heart and soul into be shit on by people whose only interaction with your game is a passing glance.

Every day I see people shitting on everything that doesn't exactly match their expectations or desires. I see it in every thread and every comment section because God forbid a game, movie, song or company doesn't meet your every whim. So if a dev or anyone in the gaming industry can find some joy in a snarky fuck you, or can use the shitty trends of whiny, demanding brats to help promote their game, good for them. More power to them. I hope it brings them nothing but happiness. God knows some of the pricks on the internet need to be cut down a peg.

/rant.

Einhander

The game isn't interesting to me, and the notebook paper art style is off-putting. I'm also getting bored with online shooters.

Oppo

Good. Fantastic. Developers are human beings and it can be really demoralizing to have something you've poured your heart and soul into be shit on by people whose only interaction with your game is a passing glance.

Every day I see people shitting on everything that doesn't exactly match their expectations or desires. I see it in every thread and every comment section because God forbid a game, movie, song or company doesn't meet your every whim. So if a dev or anyone in the gaming industry can find some joy in a snarky fuck you, or can use the shitty trends of whiny, demanding brats to help promote their game, good for them. More power to them. I hope it brings them nothing but happiness. God knows some of the pricks on the internet need to be cut down a peg.

/rant.

right on.

/rant.

Pretty much. This game got a pretty insane amount of kneejerk hate when it was announced, but I've seen multiple Gaffers that attended PSX call it some of the most fun they had at the show. Haven't read a single negative impression from anyone on here who's actually played it, and loved it myself. And no, the style doesn't really speak to me or anything - I'm all about mechanics, and Drawn to Death delivers the fucking mechanics.

Maybe just give it a bit of a chance, you know?

Dylan

Jaffe is rad. I've never been a huge fan of his games but it's so nice to see an actual human being on the developer front as opposed to PR mannequins in monkey suits. I also understand that he excels at making games that appeal to the "high school demographic", which, many of us forget, is a sizable portion of the market. I say more power to him; let him do his thing for as long as he can.

Krogan

They trashed him more than the game...

Plenty of other people are really up the games too. Namely people who've played it.

Should those who have a negative opinion of game footage not speak their mind until they have played it? If so this forum has a lot of shutting up to do.

The game looks alright, it's definitely interesting in style. I still find it very odd that Sony decided to end the key note on this

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm a big fan of David Jaffe and his work (specially Twisted Metal) and one thing I really like about the guy is the fact that he doesn't sensor himself or go through PR to speak his mind even if other people question the behavior or get a wrong message.

Squire

Banned
In response I'm sure they'll find a way to try and frame Drawn to Death as problematic.

He described on stage as taking place inside a teenagers notebook and bring brutally violent. It's pretty obvious it's problematic to anyone with an ounce of social awareness.

BokehKing

Banned
Giant Bomb is not even on my radar as far as any sort of relevance in my day to day video game life. I never seen a game like this and I want to play it

Those characters look like something I could have doodled in 12th grade math class

He described on stage as taking place inside a teenagers notebook and bring brutally violent. It's pretty obvious it's problematic to anyone with an ounce of social awareness.

Can I ask why? I don't know about your teenage experience, but I know mine and most of the ones around me was absolutely filled with violent imagery. On notebooks, folders, drawn on our arms, everywhere. The rebellious teenage years are a staple as old as time. It's not at all a recent development, so why is acknowledging it in a video game problematic?

Top Bottom