• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Is The Most Important New Game In A Decade

Gamernyc78

Banned
Wait, are you serious or trolling? Microsoft released project spark in 2014 which did exactly the same thing..
The community build sidescrollers, hack and slash, tower defense, pinball games and much much more everyday..
You can check it out here : Top 25 Project Spark Creations Since Launch.
I checked the top downloads back in the day every week, but i got to say, they all seemed fun for a few minutes and that was is. All the games felt like tech-demo-ish. But hey, maybe Dreams will be different. Lots more console players since those 5 years, especially on the PS4. So maybe some real games will be build!

Bro project spark was obviously copying the popularity of little big planet so was Mario maker lol and none are as good as Lbp and now Dreams. I don't think he was serious though lol

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
You don't have to have the patience to create games. Dreams is as much a social network as it is a development tool. Think Youtube and you'll 'get it'.

I know that and I have played several user created levels in LBP as well. I am sure many great games and levels will be created in Dreams as well. But they are all short mini games which are good to play quickly and move to next one. I look for more engaging experience with a story, plot, progression etc. I do not like racing, sports and military shooters as well so I guess this genre is also like one of those for me. Nothing wrong with the game but just not my taste.

Dthomp

And you know this... how? Are you from the future? Can you see this changing lives and the medium at large?

Yeah, I’m glad folks are excited for this, but the levels of hyperbole are nuts. This will not change gaming in any type of way, these games are always for a select audience and that’s fine, but let’s pump the brakes on most important game of the generation

Dreams is effectively a precursor tool to our digital superpowers of the metaverse. When we're all hooked into a mirror world metaverse that exists in both VR and AR simultaneously, we'll want the ability to create, edit, and change anything about any reality. Dreams is a great step forward in the direction for ease-of-use tools that will eventually get us there. Though editing realities in a shared metaverse will require a much more extensive infrastructure.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It should be, at the moment though I think it will hurt MM personally. Casuals aren't biting on "most important games of the decades", secondly the marketing could have been better on SONY's part.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I think Dreams could be a game changer for VR. The kind of games you can make with this tool are comparable with VR offerings. And sculpting and painting in VR should be a lot easier. If you have a PSVR, you would be crazy not to get Dreams. That's a few million copies right there.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I know that and I have played several user created levels in LBP as well. I am sure many great games and levels will be created in Dreams as well. But they are all short mini games which are good to play quickly and move to next one. I look for more engaging experience with a story, plot, progression etc. I do not like racing, sports and military shooters as well so I guess this genre is also like one of those for me. Nothing wrong with the game but just not my taste.

I'm with you on that. I've already played a game that was 45 minutes long and played like a charm, so I'm sure, if a game can be that long and took only 6 weeks to make by ONE man, then eventually we'll get a good 3 hour game made by a team in 6 months to a year. It'll happen but when is the only question.

Erhmm..

I'll pick it up in 2 years or so when people have made a bunch of cool shit. Not gonna pay full price for Sony and MM to let me make my own game. LBP was awesome with all the levels the community made, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay to make them. Hope those that do have a good time though.

Banned
the game will ultimately be a financial failure, the servers will be offline within 2 to 3 years and noone will give a shit.

that's my prediction.

why? because while it's a very well made game, it is ultimately too difficult/complex for the average PlayStation customer to build their own stuff and have fun at the same time.
and only a handful of people will release a tiny handful of interesting "games" etc. , ultimately failing to keep the people that only play/look at the stuff other create interested for longer than a month maybe.

the only way this could see any success is to make it free, which wouldn't bring any revenue, so Sony would need to basically bet on this project to bring in enough new PlayStation 4 users to make it be worth it.

Zaffo

Spoiler, people with the will and time to create games right now are working on free and fully featured versions of Unity and EU4, none is going to waste years of their life developing a minigame on a console editor with no way to monetize or break out of the close environment.
Blow for Blow Mario Maker 2 it's going to be way bigger than dreams, since it actually empowers people with little to no technical knowledge to try their hand at level design.

Dreams it's going to be an hell of a way to get kids into programming, but once a kid grows smart enough to use a keyboard i see no reason to stay limited to such a limited editor.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've been wanting to try this, but it looks way too complicated for me. Question though. Is it worth picking up if you only have a base ps4?

CJY

Banned
why did you say that? minecraft is just lego in the digital world. who doesnt like lego or played lego as a kid?
I thought minecraft would be stuck on PC as a creative curio and passing fad. There are a lot of things like this on the PC side.

The Powder Toy being one such “creative sandbox”-like.

Had absolutely no idea minecraft would go on to become such a massive cultural phenomenon. I’m talking at the very, very early stages... I doubt many could have predicted the eventual success of minecraft from the beginning, although its rise was exceptionally fast.

I’m not suggesting Dreams will see the same type of trajectory as minecraft. Not by a long shot, but yet... it’s highly possible it becomes a rip-roaring success in its own right too.

CJY

Banned
I've been wanting to try this, but it looks way too complicated for me. Question though. Is it worth picking up if you only have a base ps4?

I haven’t seen any comparisons between the two versions but due to the nature of the rendering engine, plus other factors, such as the game being 1st party and the majority of the user base owning a base-PS4, I’m sure there’s probably an imperceptible difference between the two versions, especially at 1080P. Would love to see a detailed comparison myself.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
And you know this... how? Are you from the future? Can you see this changing lives and the medium at large?
If they allow creators to sell their projcts?
Yes, it will change lives and the medium.

Besides, as MediaMolecule themselves have said, they want to allow those who can't pay for the required education and whatever to be able to get into game development and film-making too and thát can and will definitely be changing lives.

pr0cs

Well, it was influencial enough to motivate Microsoft to come up with a LBP knockoff in 3D.
Which was nearly as world changing :messenger_winking_tongue:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the LBP series with my kids (with exception to LBP3 which was shit because Sumo Digital are a bunch of hacks) but the LBP hyperbole was pretty annoying. Dreams may be a fun game but "most important in a decade" .... Naaaah

Psykodad

Banned
What I don't get is why some people already talk about creations being "just tech-demos" when actual games take months if not years of development time, mostly with multiple people on a team, yet with Dreams we're looking at Creation Tools still fully in development during Early Access, that has started just a month ago and people are still learning the ropes and doing small projects to hone their skills and understand the basics.

How some people seem to completely ignore that and already judge Dreams based on that is quite suprising, especially since most of them seem to have been into gaming for years already so they ought to know that development doesn't happen overnight.

CJY

Banned
David Jaffe dives in on a live stream.

Holy shit dexter’s lab. Woahhhhhh

Edit: I watched the rest of the stream. Was one of the most frustration-inducing things I’ve ever seen. Jaffe, you need to get your shit together or you’re gonna continue to languish in obscurity for the rest of your life. Do the damn tutorials mate. For fuck sake.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
the game will ultimately be a financial failure, the servers will be offline within 2 to 3 years and noone will give a shit.

that's my prediction.

why? because while it's a very well made game, it is ultimately too difficult/complex for the average PlayStation customer to build their own stuff and have fun at the same time.
and only a handful of people will release a tiny handful of interesting "games" etc. , ultimately failing to keep the people that only play/look at the stuff other create interested for longer than a month maybe.

the only way this could see any success is to make it free, which wouldn't bring any revenue, so Sony would need to basically bet on this project to bring in enough new PlayStation 4 users to make it be worth it.

Ummmm we've had history with their games already lol and no servers were shut down in two to three years. Lbp 3 was the weakest of them all but news flash Lbp IP in general sold in the multi millions each and was successful, espscially the first and ppl were still playing the first and the others online for years with hundreds of great levels if not thousands.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If they allow creators to sell their projcts?
Yes, it will change lives and the medium.

Besides, as MediaMolecule themselves have said, they want to allow those who can't pay for the required education and whatever to be able to get into game development and film-making too and thát can and will definitely be changing lives.

Education has never been a barrier between someone getting into game design and someone not. Most of the influential game developers throughout the history of video games have had no education dedicated to the subject and instead were simple script kiddies who made their own games in their free time.

This will change about as many likes as RPG Maker does. I.E. almost none.

Gamerguy84

Im not creative but my daughter is and she cant wait for it. Im waiting for VR to be patched in.

But i cant wait to get it and download amazing creations from others like i did with LBP.

Psykodad

Banned
Education has never been a barrier between someone getting into game design and someone not. Most of the influential game developers throughout the history of video games have had no education dedicated to the subject and instead were simple script kiddies who made their own games in their free time.

This will change about as many likes as RPG Maker does. I.E. almost none.
Yet it's literally what MediaMolecule said during an interview you can find on youtube.

Besides, its A reason, not THE reason.

Keep downplaying it though. I don't mind at all, time will tell.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yet it's literally what MediaMolecule said during an interview you can find on youtube.

Besides, its A reason, not THE reason.

Keep downplaying it though. I don't mind at all, time will tell.

I am not the one speaking hyperbole about a game that isn't released.

haxan7

Banned
I dream surfed for an hour or so yesterday, didn't go into the creator mode at all.

I really hope the engine allows controls to be tweaked tightly, because in almost all the games I played the controls were complete ass.

Dory16

Banned
Hasn't Microsoft done this at the start of this generation with project Spark and it ultimately went nowhere? Why is the idea presented as the most original since sliced bread?

Gamernyc78

Banned
I dream surfed for an hour or so yesterday, didn't go into the creator mode at all.

I really hope the engine allows controls to be tweaked tightly, because in almost all the games I played the controls were complete ass.

I love alot of what I played but it suffers from what Lbp suffers, the floaty controls. I wish ppl could create games where it didnt feel like your floating or gliding.

CJY

Banned
Can kids play this game easily?

Of course they can. Like adults, most kids will probably start out with dream surfing. Those with a modicum of interest, initiative and creative abiliy will try their hand at creation.

I don't think being a kid is a barrier at all in today's world. In fact, for older kids, this might be the perfect platform for them to develop their skills in design and programming, music production, etc. Ideal for portfolio creation to enter into game studios or practical higher education.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Hasn't Microsoft done this at the start of this generation with project Spark and it ultimately went nowhere? Why is the idea presented as the most original since sliced bread?

Sony did it wayyyy before with Little Big Planet then Microsoft copied and came out with Spark. Lbp was actually successful with various sequels, made good money off dlc anddddd sold in the multimillion. Little Big Planet, Mod Nation Racers, etc started tht big interest in consoles with Create and Share thats why Media Molecule is still getting the credit deservedly so. Not to mention what and how you create in Dreams goes well beyond what you could do in Lbp, spark, Mario maker, etc..

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

So was Project Spark by a loud minority. The same is true here.

I do think this will be better received than Project Spark, but it is not going to revolutionize society like some people want to believe. It likely will lose a ton of money and could lead to the end of MM. I just don't see its target audience being big enough to support it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sounds like what people were saying about LBP3, and Project Spark, and No Man's Sky...

I don't get this comment. You do know tht LBP lived up to the hype right? It has a 95 meta, sold multimillion and everyone from Microsoft (spark) to Nintendo (Mario maker) copied the concept on console of create and share. It was and still is one of the most innovative games of the last several gens

I'll just drop this here because sometimes ppl forget some games importance and innovation after the years pass by...

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
It's absurd for anyone to have any doubts about this game, in terms of importance to sony's position as a platform holder, or the industry at-large.

Shawn Layden outlined sony's first-party game philosophy of "First, Best, Must". You can read about this philosophy here: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/30/playstation-first-party-lineup-sony-boss/.

It's pretty obvious this game fits in with that philosophy to a tee, and of course there have been mis-steps in the games they have given the green light to in the past, but in no way, shape or form should anyone be doubting this game in pretty much any capacity, because it fulfils the criteria of what Sony hope to achieve with their first-party offerings so well.

That's not to say this game will sell gangbusters or anything, of course not, but a large part of that will come down to the marketing and PR, which is mostly handled by Sony directly. The point is, no matter what it sells, it's probably still a success in Sony's book, just to have a game such as this in their exclusive portfolio. Do they want it to sell millions and become the next gaming cultural phenomenon? duh... However, one thing is for sure - the success of this product won't be dictated by how many units are sold, but instead, it will be based on how well Media Molecule executed on its core vision of putting these tools of infinite creative possibilities into the hands of the average gamer and making them accessible to everyone who owns a PlayStation... based on this criteria, Dreams is already a rip-roaring success, even before it has reached gold master.

People can shite on about any shortcomings, but as far as I can see, this "game" is the most immune to criticism of any single piece of console software that has ever come before. I'm not gonna keep waxing lyrical about how it's a full (VR) game engine, innovative rendering engine, 3D modelling and texturing package, Digital Audio Workstation, etc. etc. etc. all rolled into one, and how you can literally create anything that you can imagine. How can anyone, with even a passing interest in games or digital creative mediums hold anything against what this product sets out to do, and the level to which they have accomplished this, thus far?

Of course, there are still some unknowns and what could be considered some downfalls such as the lack of monetisation and the lack of mouse support being the two major points against Dreams.

Anyway, some here might say it's crazy to have so much positivity, or to even have this much of an opinion about a game yet to be released, but I'm going to say it now: I believe Dreams is going to score insanely high in reviews, with an average score in the absurdly high 90s. I'm gonna say 98/100. And sell 10million+ copies at least across PS4 and PS5. We'll see. :)

Last edited:

BigBooper

I don't get this comment. You do know tht LBP lived up to the hype right? It has a 95 meta, sold multimillion and everyone from Microsoft (spark) to Nintendo (Mario maker) copied the concept on console of create and share. It was and still is one of the most innovative games of the last several gens

I'll just drop this here because sometimes ppl forget some games importance and innovation after the years pass by...

I played all three and even Some Modnation Racers. Yes, they were cool games. However, the levels the community made were never as good as the MM levels. The new modes and games people were making in LBP3 were never as good as the games they were imitating. They didn't look as good and they didn't control as well.

That's the exact same as all the Dreams stuff I've seen. It doesn't look or control as well as the games they're imitating. It's just like DeviantArt for gamedevs.

Rodolink

Would be awesome to have it on PC as a real engine for prototyping. From there you can go and make the real deal on Unity or Unreal.

Ar¢tos

So was Project Spark by a loud minority. The same is true here.

I do think this will be better received than Project Spark, but it is not going to revolutionize society like some people want to believe. It likely will lose a ton of money and could lead to the end of MM. I just don't see its target audience being big enough to support it.
Dreams allows the player to create things much much more complex and bigger than Project Sparks.
Don't worry about them losing money, they are still in the green from LBP cosmetics and they are a small team of 30-50 devs. It costs Sony peanuts to keep them around compared to studios like Japan Studio that have very little to show this gen for the amount of people they employ.
Also, Dreams purpose is not profitability, its to give Sony positive criticism by funding something that would be seen as a crazy risk by any other publisher and that vastly increases the diversity of their offerings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom