• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Is The Most Important New Game In A Decade

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've only just started creating again. I did during the beta but forgot everything I'd learned. ONE day I'll be thinking bigger but right now I'm thinking small and simple, just like ME!
Take your time on Dreams because as the months pass by, the creation suite will become more streamlined! What's your genre gonna be?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Take your time on Dreams because as the months pass by, the creation suite will become more streamlined! What's your genre gonna be?

I've started a tutorial series. I'm now on episode 2. My intention is to make all the assets I need to make a scene, and then, when I've done that scene, add in animations and a situation to turn it into a story. Finally, once I've done the story, I'll use that to lead into a game. SO sculpts > scene > story/animation > game. That should lead me through most, if not all, of the disciplines.

Stuart360

I dont know how i feel about this 'game'. I mean i have seen some stuff (like that MGS1 remake thing) that looks amazing, and beyond what i thought you would be able to do with this. But at the smae time, i can see the console space ending up like Steam with hundreds of asset flips and scam games being relesed every week, destroying the eco system.
It would of been very interesting this project if people made games for fun, to express their creativity, and share them together, but being able to charge money for the 'games', well it will destroy what could of been imo.

haxan7

Banned
Anyone had experience using early access? If so, impressions? I know there have been threads about it here before. I'm thinking of downloading it just to give it a shot.

I dont know how i feel about this 'game'. I mean i have seen some stuff (like that MGS1 remake thing) that looks amazing, and beyond what i thought you would be able to do with this. But at the smae time, i can see the console space ending up like Steam with hundreds of asset flips and scam games being relesed every week, destroying the eco system.
It would of been very interesting this project if people made games for fun, to express their creativity, and share them together, but being able to charge money for the 'games', well it will destroy what could of been imo.
Not every game made on Dreams will be available to buy on the PSN store. There's obviously going to be a form of QA for games that are submitted by the users.

Xenon

Most of all, Healey envisions a day when movies and games made inside Dreams might leave the platform altogether. Technically, you can export movies and music to YouTube or Twitter now. In the future, it’s possible that these games could be exported to Playstation’s digital store, or PC. Sony would have to relinquish or share rights to the titles for that to happen, of course; as of now, everything made in Dreams technically belongs to Sony.

This is going to stop many from investing time and effort into the platform. Sounds great for hobbyist but I dont see it making waves outside of PS circles.

PSYGN

Reminds me of the MTV Music Generator game in that "powerful tool for a console" creative aspect, but a really niche thing. It can however inspire many to get into the professional industry which is cool.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone had experience using early access? If so, impressions? I know there have been threads about it here before. I'm thinking of downloading it just to give it a shot.

The learning curve is steeper than you would imagine but not as steep as other development tools. It covers every discipline, which is one of the reasons the learning curve is steep. If you pick just one discipline and stick with that, you'll be proficient in a week and great after a month. There are many ways of approaching the creation side. You can use what I'd call the 'lego' approach, which is taking what other people have made and building with that (you can put something together in a couple of hours doing this), you can make everything yourself, which is the longest process of course, or you can mix the two approaches, which is what a lot of people do. But creating is only a part of what Dreams is. Think Youtube. You do not in any way need to create in Dreams to enjoy it. You can spend all your time just playing, watching and listening to what other people have done. That's all I've been doing during the EA so far and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. The search function has many kinks and they definitely need sorting out, but all in all, if you're either a creator or a player, Dreams has you covered.

haxan7

Banned
The learning curve is steeper than you would imagine but not as steep as other development tools. It covers every discipline, which is one of the reasons the learning curve is steep. If you pick just one discipline and stick with that, you'll be proficient in a week and great after a month. There are many ways of approaching the creation side. You can use what I'd call the 'lego' approach, which is taking what other people have made and building with that (you can put something together in a couple of hours doing this), you can make everything yourself, which is the longest process of course, or you can mix the two approaches, which is what a lot of people do. But creating is only a part of what Dreams is. Think Youtube. You do not in any way need to create in Dreams to enjoy it. You can spend all your time just playing, watching and listening to what other people have done. That's all I've been doing during the EA so far and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. The search function has many kinks and they definitely need sorting out, but all in all, if you're either a creator or a player, Dreams has you covered.
Ok, I went ahead and bought early access. I'll see how it is when I get home later tonight.

Ar¢tos

I've been browsing sounds and music and the amount of amazing things people have created is insane!
I tried, but there isn't a music composing tutorial yet. I'll wait for the final release before I attempt to create something.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
And was very far from the hyperbolic "this will change gaming forever" baloney that was spewed when LBP was revealed.

Could you find me that particular quote? I seem to recall the actual 3.0 strategy (play/create/share) being mentioned as an important step in console gaming, but can't recall LBP being promoted in that 'hyperbolic' way you describe. I'll wait ...

Anyway, back to the revolution that is Dreams!

CJY

Banned
You seem to use NeoGAF only to shill this game and your YouTube channel.
It’s a problem that he is a super fan of this game? I’ve seen many of his posts, but never did I see him shilling his own YouTube channel. Not saying he doesn’t, just that saying he only uses GAF to shill this one game and his YouTube channel seems like a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I appreciate any posts about Dreams. I’d miss it otherwise. And the linked article was quite good.

pr0cs

Could you find me that particular quote?
Keep in mind that was Wollan a significant Sony fanboy. Lpb was constantly mentioned as the savior of gaming
They're recognising the potential in LittleBigPlanet.
It's a game that sells itself in 10 seconds.
It's for all ages.
It's endlessly ambitious and original.
It's for singleplayer, party gaming, online gaming.
It never ends and it's always fresh.
Speaking of Sony trumping LittleBigPlanet, I wrote a story on Playstation Underground's Gamer Advisory Panel back in October about the appeal of LittleBigPlanet and giving it the marketing and support it deserves. I am sure Sony knew they had something special on their hands with LBP, but I wanted to be sure that Sony understood how big LBP could potentially be.

Here's the story:

http://gap.us.playstation.com/?q=node/69492
They're recognising the potential in LittleBigPlanet.
It's a game that sells itself in 10 seconds.
It's for all ages.
It's endlessly ambitious and original.
It's for singleplayer, party gaming, online gaming.
It never ends and it's always fresh.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
You seem to use NeoGAF only to shill this game and your YouTube channel.

So?

GAF needs people who are interested in creating content about games, and part of that is promoting games that you enjoy and believe in. That's a good thing. Plus, that you tube channel is almost completely devoted to the work of other content creators, which for a game centered around user-made content, is also a good thing.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
I have never been able to get into games which are meant to make games like LBP, Dreams etc. I understand that these games are extremely creative and interesting but I don't have the patience to create games, levels, plots etc. I hope this game sells well and people enjoy it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Keep in mind that was Wollan a significant Sony fanboy. Lpb was constantly mentioned as the savior of gaming

What? You can find all sorts of nonsense actual 'fans' say. I'm talking official statements from developers or Sony themselves.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have never been able to get into games which are meant to make games like LBP, Dreams etc. I understand that these games are extremely creative and interesting but I don't have the patience to create games, levels, plots etc. I hope this game sells well and people enjoy it.

You don't have to have the patience to create games. Dreams is as much a social network as it is a development tool. Think Youtube and you'll 'get it'.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Only Sony is capable of making a game like this. God bless that company :messenger_heart:

Speaking of Dreams, I'm planning on creating my own hack n' slash game with it!

How dare you say tht!! THEY only make TPS, Cinema style games like Astrobot, MLB the Show, GT, The Last Guardian, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush, Knack, ohhhhhh wait!

Did I do that? Lol got to love them.

Enjay

Banned
Only Sony is capable of making a game like this. God bless that company :messenger_heart:

Mario_paint_box.jpg

thelastword

Banned
And you know this... how? Are you from the future? Can you see this changing lives and the medium at large?
It's ambition, it's a play create share game.... It will transcend this gen....

I just hope MM keeps updating the core engine as more powerful hardware in the PS5 emerges, but I suspect we will get a port to new gen hardware just the same......

TauntingZ

Neo Member

Wait, are you serious or trolling? Microsoft released project spark in 2014 which did exactly the same thing..
The community build sidescrollers, hack and slash, tower defense, pinball games and much much more everyday..
You can check it out here : Top 25 Project Spark Creations Since Launch.
I checked the top downloads back in the day every week, but i got to say, they all seemed fun for a few minutes and that was is. All the games felt like tech-demo-ish. But hey, maybe Dreams will be different. Lots more console players since those 5 years, especially on the PS4. So maybe some real games will be build!

Top Bottom