• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB VR |OT| The Vomit Comet

Flandy

30348295405_e97e5bed8c_o.jpg

DRIVECLUB™ VR is packed with the best bits from the hit PlayStation®4 game, along with selected packs from the extensive DLC collection – as well as new and totally bespoke VR modes and features.

DRIVECLUB™ REFUELLED
  • Drive over 80 cars on more than 100 tracks.
  • Play and create driving challenges.
  • Race through five all-new Urban locations.
Release Date:
  • October 13, 2016
Price:
  • $39.99 or $19.99 if season pass for regular DRIVECLUB was purchased before 9/28/16
  • €39.99 or €19.99 if season pass for regular DRIVECLUB was purchased before 29/9/16
  • £29.99 or £14.99 if season pass for regular DRIVECLUB was purchased before 29/9/16

Review Thread

Digital Spy said:
Videogamer said:
Gamesradar said:
Top Gear said:

Sorry for the basic OT. I just threw this together since I noticed nobody else had made it

luffeN

Did the hurl reviews maybe forget to adjust IPD? My gf got sick a little after 1 minute, but the IPD was off by 5 mm. I played a complete race and nothing. Same with my friends.

I wonder how much the force feedback wheel helps with reduction of Naseau if at all. My thought would be because it introduces and additional stimuli and some feeling of integrating the motion that it would lessen the effects.

Flandy

Did the hurl reviews maybe forget to adjust IPD? My gf got sick a little after 1 minute, but the IPD was off by 5 mm. I played a complete race and nothing. Same with my friends.

I suppose that's possible? I don't think that would be the source of all of the problems though. Gamesradar played the demo just fine but the full game got them really badly.

TheBear

I wonder how much the force feedback wheel helps with reduction of Naseau if at all. My thought would be because it introduces and additional stimuli and some feeling of integrating the motion that it would lessen the effects.

I play with a T300rs and have no issues with nausea. I wouldn't touch it if I had to play it with a pad

ghibli99

Performance on regular DC seems a bit shaky (just played it today after a long break), so I'm nervous about this one. Still gotta try it at least!

nikos

Haven't felt sick from this game yet, thankfully. Hopped online the other night but nobody seemed to be playing. Feel free to add me on PSN: Nikos. Also have an open club named apex.

Sigma722

Crazy how different games affect people so differently. I don't know if it's because I have a wheel, but I haven't had any problem with this game. Played it for a couple of multi-hour sessions yesterday without any problems. Every now and then the car would change from going up hill to down, and it would put me off a little bit, but overall nothing lasting.

Rigs on the other hand...

luffeN

I suppose that's possible? I don't think that would be the source of all of the problems though. Gamesradar played the demo just fine but the full game got them really badly.

Hm, we have only played the demo. Maybe worse performance in the full version in some races?

Electret

Performance on regular DC seems a bit shaky (just played it today after a long break), so I'm nervous about this one. Still gotta try it at least!

Can you elaborate on this? Only time I've ever gotten DC to drop frames was in replay mode; gameplay is a locked 30 FPS from everything I've seen and read.

Caramello

Played the demo, doesn't make me feel sick at all but it did make my dad feel sick.

Definitely depends on the person playing.

Synless

Played this for a few hours last night and thought it was great. I will get some more time in tonight when I get home. I didn't have any issues with motion sickness.

Can you elaborate on this? Only time I've ever gotten DC to drop frames was in replay mode; gameplay is a locked 30 FPS from everything I've seen and read.
I've seen it drop frames. It doesn't happen often, but there are instances when it does. During gameplay.

Last time it happened to me, I was racing online, under a storm in Takahagi Hills.

wbEMX

Played the demo, had no signs of sickness at all. It was the first thing I ever saw in VR and sitting in that Ferrari and looking around basically sold me on the concept of VR, together with The London Heist.

TimmiT

OT title couldn't be more apt. I got to try out the demo a couple of weeks ago and had to stop playing after a minute cause i felt nauseous. Didn't have that problem with any of the other PSVR demos.

I'm dying to try PSVR specifically the games people say make them sick. I rarely get motion sick but I'd hate to drop nearly $1000 on a piece of hardware I can't use because it makes me throw up.

DrBretto

Banned
I just wanted one racing game to try out because I don't typically like the genre and I went with Radial G instead of this. On a scale of dumb to stupid, how wrong of a decision did I make?

I don't get sick, btw. I felt queezy on my first day with VR, but got used to it by the next session, but in this game, lateral movement does not feel comfortable. I wonder if a more realistic racing sim would be far more comfortable. Anyone tried both that could compare? If it matters, it's on an Oculus.

Edit: duh, I'm extra dumb here, I was thinking about project cars.

I seem to be immune to this game :lol I'm enjoying it a lot and I don't want to do non VR racing anymore

I played the demo and felt no motion sickness at all, was pretty cool to be sitting in the car and driving. The only thing stopping me from buying the full game is..... well, the whole normal driving genre doesn't excite me.

Flandy

I played the demo and felt no motion sickness at all, was pretty cool to be sitting in the car and driving. The only thing stopping me from buying the full game is..... well, the whole normal driving genre doesn't excite me.

Same here essentially for everything in your post. Don't play much driving games but this is VR so its different :p

Edit: I'm not sure I would have to bought it though if I had to pay full price. I was willing to risk the $20 upgrade fee though and I don't regret it at all

Taker34

Banned
I'm dying to try PSVR specifically the games people say make them sick. I rarely get motion sick but I'd hate to drop nearly $1000 on a piece of hardware I can't use because it makes me throw up.
Well, that's the issue I have, atm. Never had any kind of motion sickness until Driveclub VR and basically any VR game with some sort of camera motion. Even the Playroom platformer camera movement is causing these issues. I had such a strong headache, along with nausea all day that I'll try it one more time tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I have to sell the device. It's absolutely devastating because especially Driveclub VR is so much fun to play...

Is there any hope to fixing the nausea issue? Whether it's FoV or frame rate issues

There are so many issues when it comes to simulation sickness with VR that the solution isn't a quick fix, racing games are more likely to trigger people who suffer from a particular form of simulation sickness but we don't really know what that is exactly as it affects people differently. This isn't unique to DCVR in anyway shape or form when it comes to racing games though, it has just been brought to the attention of a wider audience. Many people seem to be doing fine with Thumper and this could be due to the track moving around the object rather than the object moving on the track, so this might be a potential solution for those who do suffer but still want a feeling of speed.

Personally I have zero problems with racing and flight in VR (i think I have pushed the ability of the games available even with copious amounts of alcohol to assert this), just a pity people get to miss out on the fun, assuming they find going fast or spun around exciting.

Soi-Fong

Hilarious title, but this is one of the games for me that is just comfortable as can be. Excited to get my full copy that I got for 20 bucks from Newegg!

farmerboy

Can't play because I get sick, but after trying it I'll be really curious to see what improvements the Pro can make to the graphics.

ZehDon

Haha, love that title. I guess my VR legs are better than most, been playing this since launch, and not a hint of sickness. The game feels like it has probably the softest image of any of the games I've played, but the trade off for the immersion is worth it to me. I hope it gets a decent online following, though judging from the reviews, it might end up like the original.

Flandy

Hilarious title, but this is one of the games for me that is just comfortable as can be. Excited to get my full copy that I got for 20 bucks from Newegg!

great title :D big driveclub fan here so looking forward to this and it'll probably be my first psvr game

Haha, love that title. I guess my VR legs are better than most, been playing this since launch, and not a hint of sickness. The game feels like it has probably the softest image of any of the games I've played, but the trade off for the immersion is worth it to me. I hope it gets a decent online following, though judging from the reviews, it might end up like the original.

I was actually tempted to make the title #VOMITCLUB but i thought it was too negative lol. Decided to go with the Vomit Comet since digital spy mentioned it in their review.

Anyway I'm having a blast playing this. Just did a night race in Japan. If you thought Night races in th regular game were intense just wait till you try it out here

ghibli99

Try turning off camera shake.
That might be it (camera shake)... it seemed like frames were dropping or I was getting occasional stutter, but that could be from the shake or something going on at the OS level that may have caused the hitches I saw.

ryseing

I thank my lucky stars that I don't seem to have motion sickness issues. Driving in VR is just something else that everyone should get the chance to experience.

Gestault

30ish minutes of the demo in both time attack (started simple) and the race event was actually pretty ok. The graphics are scaled back, so expect pop-in and some plain environments, but it definitely gets the job done. No motion sickness, with the brief and terrifying exception when the camera tracking kicked out and I fell through the ground on a post-race view.

I still really dislike the driving assists, but you can partially disable them.

I'm glad I took a chance on the $20 upgrade version because I'm enjoying it a lot with no nausea issues whatsoever. Compared to original DriveClub the graphics downgrade is quite jarring. This absolutely does not look like a PS4 game; many PS3 games look better. I got used to it though because the level of immersion is unlike anything I've ever experienced in a racing game. The first time I turned my head to line up an upcoming turn I was sold. I hope future PSVR racing games look better and run smoother. I'm thinking the key with this current hardware will be to forget attempts at realistic looking, real-world graphics. I'd like to see something like a Trackmania VR or a Riptide VR.

cakely

Tried the demo for an hour our so today.

I am normally not a stickler for image quality but the road and scenery in the game looks so poor that you can barely make out upcoming turns. It's a big mess.

The cars themselves are great looking from the interior view, with tons of great detail that you can really stick your face into, but the road and scenery out the window are just unacceptably bad. It was a huge disappointment and I'm very glad PSVR included a demo.

luffeN

Well, that's the issue I have, atm. Never had any kind of motion sickness until Driveclub VR and basically any VR game with some sort of camera motion. Even the Playroom platformer camera movement is causing these issues. I had such a strong headache, along with nausea all day that I'll try it one more time tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I have to sell the device. It's absolutely devastating because especially Driveclub VR is so much fun to play...

Did you check the IPD setting? Maybe the standard value is not the right one?

Woffls

I had a go on this at the PSVR thing in Shoreditch and I really enjoyed it. Was lucky enough to try it with a force feedback wheel and chair thing with some pedals. Had six laps on a track and felt absolutely fine the whole time.

Unfortunately it was mostly out of focus and looked like PGR2 because my eyes are stupid :( Was an issue with Farpoint as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Having a great time with this game. It's not axactly a looker but it gets the job done, the VR works really well. I got some dizziness the first time [best described as "floaty brain" I guess] but after three days it's totally fine now. You how to give yourself some time to get used to the experience.

I'm also way better at this game than the regular Driveclub, my situational awareness has increased exponentially.

I wonder how much the PS4 Pro could improve this game, if any.

Plasma

Banned
I got it at launch but after seeing the reviews I'm weary of trying it, Scavengers Odyssey made me nauseous and turning the tank on Battlezone with the right stick didn't feel good for me either so I'm not sure I'd be able to play this without feeling sick.

Anarion07

The bad resolution is very noticeable.
BUT as soon as I start driving I don't even notice it anymore. Feels and plays great

Top Bottom