• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB VR |OT| The Vomit Comet

That might be it (camera shake)... it seemed like frames were dropping or I was getting occasional stutter, but that could be from the shake or something going on at the OS level that may have caused the hitches I saw.

Yeah, i've seen people in the Driveclub OT experience just that. Turning off camera shake solved the issue for them. Personally, i like to have it on.

Black Hat

Assuming it has power to supersample VR games.

From what we know why wouldn't it? The GPU which is typically the most important component in regards to raising resolution is over twice as powerful than the standard PS4.

Native resolution is a given. I think supersampling will be a reality for the majority of titles on Pro as well.

Aceofspades

Banned
Im not sure if its my headset or DCVR specifically. DCVR seems rather blurry on my headset.

Is there any screenshot representation for comparison.

I am normally not a stickler for image quality but the road and scenery in the game looks so poor that you can barely make out upcoming turns. It's a big mess.

Can't say I have had this problem. The IQ is bad, no two ways about it but not once have I been unable to see the corner ahead or look through a line due to it. The area DCVR primarily has problems due to the IQ is when you want to see the details like birds flying, a plastic bag in the wind, leaves on a tree, the details of a logo or read out on the dashboard. But the overall shape of everything is easy to see and can be seen at a long distance. I don't think there are even any tracks in the demo that have long enough straights not to be able to see the corners, they are all pretty simple.

The first two laps I tried of this and I was sold. Great game getting even better. Then the third lap... my first introduction to VR motion sickness 😷

Hasney

No nausea or anything, but still not a huge fan of the way Drive club plays. It's a helluva experience with a wheel, but feels like a good warm up for GT Sport.

chrislowe

The problem is that Driveclubs camera moves with gforces and bumps etc + your own headmovements.
Its like watching a rollercoaster sometimes.

And when your balancesystem in your ears doesnt match up with what your eyes see you get sick after a while.

If they had a option to reduce cameramovement of gforces it would be better for alot of us.

Matush

Two of my friends tried demo last night, one had to take off PSVR after 30 seconds, other was able to finish it but after he felt lightheaded. Such a bummer, I had no problem with the game, but it was little bit disappointing.

SJRB

Gold Member
A great deal. This game and any VR game really HUGELY benefits from supersampling. Which is what the PS4 Pro is designed for.

I suppose so, in theory. But I've been looking around a fair bit but can't seem to find any definitive answers on this. I mean, it makes sense that PS4Pro's increased power would result in a better VR experience, but does every game need a patch akin to non-VR games?

I mean, does the PS4Pro improve VR games by default or is it up to the specific developer to make a patch?

In honesty I was planning on waiting for a white SKU before I move to PS4Pro, but if all games are [drastically] improved by default I'm there day one, white edition or not.

MGR

The problem is that Driveclubs camera moves with gforces and bumps etc + your own headmovements.
Its like watching a rollercoaster sometimes.

And when your balancesystem in your ears doesnt match up with what your eyes see you get sick after a while.

If they had a option to reduce cameramovement of gforces it would be better for alot of us.

Yep. This is at the core of the problem I reckon. There shouldn't be ANY simulated head movement.

I seem to be immune to this game :lol I'm enjoying it a lot and I don't want to do non VR racing anymore
The same for me now. I thought I'd go back to normal DC and compare some lap times to see if there were differences, but realized I had zero interest in putting the original game back in.

This game appears to be the poster child for the awkward transition into VR that a lot of people are going to have, though despite having no issues with DCVR, Rigs and EVE were a little much for me. After talking to a few other people I think a lot of problems are caused by those who don't have the visor set up properly or don't recalibrate position if things feel a bit off. Also, people with so-so eyesight that don't wear glasses but aren't 20/20. Getting the focus nailed down isn't easy at first. The slightest thing can throw it off, even a small smudge on the lenses or someone's glasses, or a contacts prescription that's a little dated that someone might need updated. This is amplified if someone has more loss in one eye vs the other.

andylsun

Only played the demo so far with a wheel but it's pretty amazing when it works.

I seem to occasionally get a jump in the viewpoint a couple of times a lap on sharp corners. The viewpoint jumps about 30 degrees suddenly back to the center of the track when I look left or right. Don't think it's headset tracking issues as other games don't have the problem (e.g. Rez).

The wheel isn't in the way of the camera. If I can fix this or be sure it doesn't happen in the full game then I'll buy it straight away.

panda-zebra

The only problem I have with this game, apart from the sub-native graphics, is that I'm finding it difficult to stop playing. One quick go turned into three hours first night, next morning the ffb wheel came out for its first real test and another 3 hours gone - match your wheel position to the in-game one as close as possible and something just clicks and it's... whoa!

So how the hell am I supposed to get through all the demos and games I bought when this game has me by the balls?

It also accidentally gave me the best jump scare so far. Home alone, or so I thought, driving 3rd lap of an event and my 5 year old son came and put his hand on my arm to get my attention, turned to the side and there was no passenger and in that instant I screamed/jumped/flailed/crashed.

Angel_DvA

this game is the worst I've played in VR, it's the only game that make me want to vomit, it's horrible, I wish Sony could refund shit like this

goonergaz

So, I assume the best way to test if this is worth buying is to play the demo for half hour or something and see if you survive? Because I only tried one race and thought it was great but reading all this makes me wonder because I get a little sick feeling when playing battlezone, eve and rigs - I'm just hopeful that the effect wears off with use.

Weird how Rush doesn't make people sick - I would have thought that'd be ideal sickness fodder!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is it possible to transfer your progress and cars from DriveClub to DriveClub VR?

cakely

I'm starting to wonder if it's the image quality that's making people feel nauseous.

I was flying around the battlefield in both Battlezone and RIGS and neither made me queasy. Maybe having the outside world look like a giant blur is adding to the problem somehow.

This one of the blurriest games I have tried on my PSVR, unplayable for me with all Vaseline smeared resolution.

I hope the Pro will fix that, right now is a no buy for me.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Last night I got in a Caterham and drove slowly around the Scottish Old Town and Japanese town courses, and just took in the sights, because the Caterham has no roof it felt really great to look around in.

I also have set for several hours just playing races and felt zero nausea.

When I first played VR games on the DK2 with games like Half Life 2 VR, I felt quite sick, nowadays, meh, got used to it, hopefully other people can too.

goonergaz

I'm starting to wonder if it's the image quality that's making people feel nauseous.

I was flying around the battlefield in both Battlezone and RIGS and neither made me queasy. Maybe having the outside world look like a giant blur is adding to the problem somehow.

unlikely, it's the reverse for me

bennibop

Not felt sick from this game and I suffer with terrible motion/car sickness in real life. None of my friends and family have felt it either.

Reallink

I suppose so, in theory. But I've been looking around a fair bit but can't seem to find any definitive answers on this. I mean, it makes sense that PS4Pro's increased power would result in a better VR experience, but does every game need a patch akin to non-VR games?

I mean, does the PS4Pro improve VR games by default or is it up to the specific developer to make a patch?

In honesty I was planning on waiting for a white SKU before I move to PS4Pro, but if all games are [drastically] improved by default I'm there day one, white edition or not.

The games will have to be patched for it, it's not an automatic free upgrade. There's no question significant super sampling looks like a whole new generation of headset hardware (you could compile a Bible of gushing impressions from Rift and Vive owners), the potential hang up is will developers go back and patch already released titles. And for future titles, will Pro mode be devoted mostly to super sampling, or will they instead opt to increase (IMO) less noticeable effects and settings like shadow resolution, AO fidelity, LoD, etc...

Mokubba

No Nausea or sickness from me and I'm loving driving in VR. A bit bummed I didn't get to keep the progress from the main game though.

I've been playing this more than I have thought I would. No nausea at all.
This is the first game I where I actually enjoy watching replays. It is so much fun sitting there next to your avatar!

Okada

I played this last night on a friends PSVR and thought it was fantastic. It actually contributed to me ordering one there and then.

I feel as if the graphical quality talk has been massively overblown. Sure it's a bit blurry in the distance but the way DriveClub uses the flags for upcoming turns really doesn't make it an issue (to me anyway). If we could get a little super sampling then it would really be something special.

I did a few races and didn't get a hint of VR sickness. I do have a Vive though so that might have helped.

Yep. This is at the core of the problem I reckon. There shouldn't be ANY simulated head movement.

No - there should be the option to turn it off for people experiencing sickness . I haven't had one iota of even queasiness in my hours with this game and would appreciate developers not neutering features in VR games to appease those prone to motion sickness.

Afrikan

Is it possible to transfer your progress and cars from DriveClub to DriveClub VR?

I fucking wish. :(

I know it's supposed to be a "new" game but not like this..I want all my cars and my car paint jobs. :/

Don't have time to unlock everything again.

is there a way to that I haven't come across?????

The combination of blurry visuals, the cockpit moving towards me when I brake, and the limited viewing capacity made it unplayable and nauseating for me. I was the most excited about DCVR and even bought the full copy of the game. But after playing the Demo Disc trial I felt the experience was unenjoyable.

Still waiting for Ridge Racer ^__^

lcap

Of all the demos on the demo disc this was the first one to make me smile and think it's the real deal (not that I didn't enjoy the others, but this one specifically wowed me). I had to instantly buy it, and the discount made a lot easier as well.

Well, it's incredible how the VR makes me a much, much better driver. Even with a controller it's incredibly fun and immersive.

I raced the demo several times and felt nothing, my wife couldn't do a whole lap without feeling nauseated.

Still waiting for Ridge Racer ^__^
Has anything been confirmed? Ridge Racer 3DS was amazing. I'd love to see a classic RR game in VR.

The Driveclub demo didn't make me nauseous at all, and I can get past the bad graphics, but this game is just too simmy for me. Would prefer an arcade-style VR racer instead.

Novak

Not limited to just DCVR but vr racing games in general.... how does it feel when crashing into a wall/car at high speed?
I havent tried vr racing yet, but i am afraid i would have a heart attack.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I fucking wish. :(

I know it's supposed to be a "new" game but not like this..I want all my cars and my car paint jobs. :/

Don't have time to unlock everything again.

Yeah, same here. Not going to play through all of the same tracks and challenges a second time just because of VR. Really disappointing that I can't use all the cars that I've already unlocked...

Not limited to just DCVR but vr racing games in general.... how does it feel when crashing into a wall/car at high speed?

Even though it is immersive it does not lead you to believe it's your own body being in danger. So crashing into a wall looks strange but I never even felt the need to close my eyes out of fear.

Kilau

I love this OT title lol.

I remade the GAF club from regular driveclub if anyone wants to join. CorridorRaceSyn

akileese

I'm wondering the same thing. It really does look a bit poor compared to battlezone and RIGS. I can't vouch for Battlezone as I haven't played it, but I play RIGS with all anti nausea measures turned off and using head tracking with zero issues. Driveclub doesn't make me motion sick, but I sure as hell don't feel great after it. The only thing that's really made me feel violently ill was the street luge in VR worlds. I almost threw up all over the floor after about four minutes of it.

Even though it is immersive it does not lead you to believe it's your own body being in danger. So crashing into a wall looks strange but I never even felt the need to close my eyes out of fear.

It feels great, actually.

You kinda get the rush of adrenaline of the "omg I'm going to crash" moment but in a softer, fun way.

I always crash my car on purpose on Assetto Corsa when I'm about to end my racing session xD

Can't comment on crashing into a wall, but when I played iRacing via Oculus Rift, the first time I came down pit road and pressed the brake pedal hard to stop I had a really weird feeling wash over me when my brain expected my body to be thrust forward and it didn't happen.

Pretty similar to when you actually crash, well leading up to the crash anyway then during and afterwards nothing like one. You see the crash coming know there is nothing you can do and brace for it, but then you see the impact hear a thud put your foot down and go.

Kodros

This one of the blurriest games I have tried on my PSVR, unplayable for me with all Vaseline smeared resolution.

I hope the Pro will fix that, right now is a no buy for me.

It is pretty blurry and the draw distance goes to crap real quick. However, it's a racing game. So once you learn the track and where the turns are, I don't feel it's much of an issue.

I don't like the inherently negative OT title, its not very fair to the game

I've played the full version of DRVR for hours now and have zero nausea issues, neither do a couple of other people that I gave a test-drive to

Audiophile

Anyone else feel Driveclub VR lacks the sense of speed from [the original] Driveclub..?

I think the whole thing is so dull, flat, lifeless and blurry in comparison to Driveclub (I love the real Driveclub) that it's just incapable of providing any sense of exhilaration or immersion; nor is it convincing enough to cause any sense of unease when it comes motion for me personally (reversing in third person being the exception).

As far as I'm aware, Driveclub was already running unlocked in the 40-50fps range during development when targeting 60fps, the game renders at the same res in vr, albeit split in half to provide two perspectives, I wasn't expecting such a massive downgrade for the overhead of rendering two different half-res perspectives and locking 60fps down.

Of course, the native display res is a big contributor, but even then, it just seems way worse than what I expected.

phant0m

Doesn't make me sick at all, but damn this looks bad. Maybe it's just because of how good the original looked =/

antibolo

Banned
I tried the demo and it did make me sick :(

I'm seriously bummed about this, I bought a G29 in anticipation for this game, and now I don't want it anymore.

Did the hurl reviews maybe forget to adjust IPD? My gf got sick a little after 1 minute, but the IPD was off by 5 mm. I played a complete race and nothing. Same with my friends.

I thought that PSVR had no adjustable IPD?

Latimer

Banned
I tried the demo and it did make me sick :(

I'm seriously bummed about this, I bought a G29 in anticipation for this game, and now I don't want it anymore.

I thought that PSVR had no adjustable IPD?

Yea that seemed like a silly idea if you bought it solely for this game.

Although GT sport is coming.

Top Bottom