• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSlite sleek black edition

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
yilmazz said:
Even with 17% taxes there is a gap of almost 50$.. I thank NOE for that.

The prices of consumer electronics simply aren't equivalent in Europe and the US. It has always been that way. And for that matter, it isn't just consumer electronics. I don't see why people act like it is some Nintendo conspiracy.

Aurora

MrSardonic said:
The prices of consumer electronics simply aren't equivalent in Europe and the US. It has always been that way. And for that matter, it isn't just consumer electronics. I don't see why people act like it is some Nintendo conspiracy.

Well Nintendo were fined a good ~£190m for overcharging their goods in Europe.

MrSardonic

Aurora said:
Well Nintendo were fined a good ~£190m for overcharging their goods in Europe.

They were fined for price fixing...for preventing the movement of goods from countries in which they were cheap into countries in which they were more expensive. If you look at the price of goods in Europe, they are almost always higher than the US equivalent...Nintendo products are no different.

Tsubaki said:
Not really. It's more like the white lovers are happy with their white DSLs but complain about PSPs. The black lovers are happy with their PSPs but complain about their DSLs.

White > Black.

Just bought one of these:

70000cw_package.jpg
Is that japan only?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Polari said:
Damn. Reminds me of a Thinkpad, and I love Thinkpads.

That's what Apple, i mean Nintendo is trying to do. Make you think you are buying a cool apple product.

I need a macbook now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
neojubei said:
That's what Apple, i mean Nintendo is trying to do. Make you think you are buying a cool apple product.

I need a macbook now.
gimme a fucking break.

MrSardonic

the-iek said:
preorder a ds lite white at karstadt for 150€ and you'll get brain training for free ftw!

sweet deal.

Any pictures released on the Black DSL with the screens on?

zou

the-iek said:
preorder a ds lite white at karstadt for 150€ and you'll get brain training for free ftw!

Looks like I'm not going to use my Amazon.de giftcard ...

Actually, I might ask them to honor the Karstadt deal. Me for the win.

;)

[Nintex]

I just watched a video review at youtube the screen the color(white one) omg its just to awesome. I didn't want one first i already have a DS but... fuck....

IPGlider

neojubei said:

It isn't an Apple cool product, is a Nintendo cool product. Only Apple can do cool things? DS Lite is the most beautiful handheld ever made.

About the price, if I'm not mistaken, in Europe apart from VAT we have special taxes for imported eletronic equipment, beside that, yes is a little expensive.

jax (old)

Banned
the aussie ones launch on my birthday. I hope there's black here. if not, I think I can wait for a black one (lite). Very happy with my DS as is though. :)

Wink

MrSardonic said:

It has also shown that $=€ is possible for so many things vg-related and I do not believe that Nintendo is making less money for a 130€ DS in Europe over a 130$ DS in the US. So 150€ DSL is almost as worse as 30 fucking € for Brain Training. I just don't like the idea that you can make some extra bucks with the Europeans.

To topic: I prefer white as of now, but I'd like to get hands on with them before I decide ^^

ibu

I do like the black but will get either white or enamel blue one... why? because I know that it won't look like finger print city on my DS Lite!

zou

MrSardonic said:

Wrong.

Macbook: $1099, 1079€
Playstation 2 (before the price drop): $149, 149€
Xbox 360: $399, 399€
Nintendo DS at launch: 149$, 149€
Nintendo DS after price drop: 129$, 129€

Want me to go on?

MrSardonic

Wink said:
It has also shown that $=€ is possible for so many things vg-related and I do not believe that Nintendo is making less money for a 130€ DS in Europe over a 130$ DS in the US.

zou said:
Wrong.

Macbook: $1099, 1079€
Playstation 2 (before the price drop): $149, 149€
Xbox 360: $399, 399€
Nintendo DS at launch: 149$, 149€
Nintendo DS after price drop: 129$, 129€

Want me to go on?

*sigh* find me a currency converter that tells you $1 = 1€.

zou

MrSardonic said:
*sigh* find me a currency converter that tells you $1 = 1€.

Why should I? That's what you wrote:

The prices of consumer electronics simply aren't equivalent in Europe and the US. It has always been that way.

I just showed you, that for the most part they are.

Falch

Ah, I'm torn between getting a black or a white DS lite. On the one hand, white is very sleek, but black is a nice neutral 'color', and my black iPod looks awesome. Well, I'll probably decide when I'm at the store comparing them.

That brings up another question: what are the chances of the DS lite selling out on launchday, in Europe? Anyone excepting shortages? Perhaps I should pre-order?

Shiggy

By preordering the DS Lite at Karstadt, do I get the white or the black edition, the ad only shows the white one.

cvxfreak

zou said:

The prices of consumer electronics simply aren't equivalent in Europe and the US. It has always been that way.

Equivalent relative to the value of the money.

zou

cvxfreak said:
Equivalent relative to the value of the money.

Actually, if you factor in VAT, additional costs for longer warranty periods, the translation work, (maybe) unstable currencies you're quite even. Also that wasn't his point. :p

Shiggy

zou said:
Most importantly you get "Brain JOGGING".

No, Dr. Kawashimas Gehirn-Jogging | Wie fit ist ihr Gehirn?. The name was translated into the other European languages either.

Karstadt also sells the GameCube + Mario Smash Football Bundle for 79.99 EUR, great price.

zou

Shiggy said:
No, Dr. Kawashimas Gehirn-Jogging | Wie fit ist ihr Gehirn?. The name was translated into the other European languages either.

Karstadt also sells the GameCube + Mario Smash Football Bundle for 79.99 EUR, great price.

Because we certainly don't have the word "Training", so they had to come up with "Jogging", with makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

cvxfreak

zou said:
Actually, if you factor in VAT, additional costs for longer warranty periods, the translation work, (maybe) unstable currencies you're quite even. Also that wasn't his point. :p

If that's the case, I've honestly never seen someone express it in pure numerical equivalence. This would be my first time, ever.

MrSardonic

zou said:

$1 is not equivalent to 1 Euro, therefore, the prices of consumer electronics aren't equivalent. It's pretty fucking simple. You misunderstood

zou

cvxfreak said:
If that's the case, I've honestly never seen someone express it in pure numerical equivalence. This would be my first time, ever.
$130 = 101€ (as of today)

Nintendo obviously has to account for currency fluctuations. All time low of the euro against the dollar in the last 12 months was 1,16, so I'd guess they would go with something around 1,15, maybe a bit lower or higher. So now we got around 113€. Add to that 20% VAT (Sweden & Finland pay 22% & 25%, but they also pay more for the DS) and we are at 135€. That's not factoring in the longer warranty peroid and the higher localization cost.

MrSardonic said:
$1 is not equivalent to 1 Euro, therefore, the prices of consumer electronics aren't equivalent. It's pretty fucking simple. You misunderstood
$1 equals 1€ when you compare US & EU product pricings (see above). And it has always been this way since we got the euro. The point is, that the DSL should have been 130€, not 150€.

cvxfreak

zou said:
$130 = 101€ (as of today)

Nintendo obviously has to account for currency fluctuations. All time low of the euro against the dollar in the last 12 months was 1,16, so I'd guess they would go with something around 1,15, maybe a bit lower or higher. So now we got around 113€. Add to that 20% VAT (Sweden & Finland pay 22% & 25%, but they also pay more for the DS) and we are at 135€. That's not factoring in the longer warranty peroid and the higher localization cost.

$1 equals 1€ when you compare US & EU product pricings (see above). And it has always been this way since we got the euro. The point is, that the DSL should have been 130€, not 150€.

Is it equivalent after tax in the US as well?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
So ah UK folk, I was searching the net for the cheapest price and £99 seems to be the lowest. However I noticed that Amazon are currently doing an offer (read here) where if you buy something over £20 before 5th June, you get a £5 voucher to use until 26th June. So if like me you're buying a game soon, you'll get your DSlite for £95.

EDIT: Or you could also buy a game now and get another one after the 5th for a fiver cheaper.

zou

cvxfreak said:
Is it equivalent after tax in the US as well?

Obviously not, since the tax is lower. But that doesn't matter in the end, in both cases Nintendo gets roughly the same amount.

zou

cvxfreak said:
Well then, they're not equivalent. ;)

Still, interesting way to put things in perspective, thanks.

They obviously can never be equivalent to the customer, but they should be for the company that sells the product. My whole point was that "1€ = $1" in the EU for the last couple of years and that prices for electronics ARE comparable. Just look at all the different products sold for the same "amount" of euros as us$. There's a reason.

€: Actually my reply was aimed more towards the crow guy and his claim that the additional $50 isn't NoE screwing the customer once again, but that it has always been this way in the eu.

Aurora

zou said:
Well €150 = £99 which is a fair price for the DSL IMO.

How much is the regular DS now?

MrSardonic

zou said:

One, last, time. My point is that we ALWAYS pay more for electronic commodities in Europe because prices are not equivalent.. A price is not equivalent just because the numbers are the same but in different currencies!

You can say that, in recent history, a fair proportion of products have had European price points that just happen to have the same numerical value in dollars and euros, but that doesn't make the price equivalent. Now please, stop it.

zou

MrSardonic said:
One, last, time. My point is that we ALWAYS pay more for electronic commodities in Europe because prices are not equivalent.. A price is not equivalent just because the numbers are the same but in different currencies!

That's what you replied to:

, stating that prices aren't equivalent, jada, jada. Thing is, we pay the $50 markup thanks to NoE, not because "we always pay more" for electronics.

MrSardonic

zou said:
That's what you replied to:

stating that prices aren't equivalent, jada, jada. Thing is, we pay the $50 markup thanks to NoE, not because "we always pay more" for electronics.

O...M...G. You're now on my ignore list

I've already imported a white Lite from Japan on release but can't wait to check out one of these black editions when we get them in stock.

Methinks it's going to be the same as the PSP/iPod Nano where the black one shows scratches, marks and fingerprints a lot more than the white one. Also, the matt on the inside will show up quite a lot more than the white model.

Nithr

Banned
Is the white DS Lite still white for you who have owned one since the Japanese launch? I have not decided what colour to get yet.

Top Bottom