• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubious Rumor Site: PS4 to have Kinect style control, Launch w/ 20M units in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh why did people buy kinect.... now microsoft and sony think that people actually like it, while in fact it's the most stupendous way of controlling games. Nobody likes it. Nobody plays it anymore. People only liked the dancing game.

Always-honest said:
Oh why did people buy kinect.... now microsoft and sony think that people actually like it, whike in fact it's the most stupendous way of controlling games. Nobody likes it. Nobody plays it anymore. People only liked the dancing game.

but dude soon we will have FABUL THE JUHNEY and STAH WAHS

BigJiantRobut said:
but dude soon we will have FABUL THE JUHNEY and STAH WAHS
yeah, i'm not ever listening to peter anymore, so no idea what he is up to and starwars is also better with a disco dildo or a wiimote plus.

Messypandas said:
didn't Microsoft copy Sony's Eyetoy in any case? Probably existing peripherals before that aswell
I see it more of "evolving" the tech instead of copying it. For Sony to run with something like this, it has to really stand apart from being a kinect clone with a dash of Sony. A kinect copycat will just leave a bad first impression.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
Oh why did people buy kinect.... now microsoft and sony think that people actually like it, while in fact it's the most stupendous way of controlling games. Nobody likes it. Nobody plays it anymore. People only liked the dancing game.
Today's SCEI is way too smart to throw all their weight behind a Kinect-like system at this stage.

If there is such a system in place, it will be a supplementary control style and the camera will also enable a wand-like device, as it does with Move.

Always-honest said:
yeah, i'm not ever listening to peter anymore, so no idea what he is up to and starwars is also better with a disco dildo or a wiimote plus.

but in fable you can do anything and it's not on rails lightsaber on etc

Such wasted tech.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dubious indeed.

For the sake of discussion though, if it were true, it'd want to be very advanced to hitch the system around that type of control while also appeasing the hardcore. It would not be IMMENSELY surprising if they bundled some kind of sensor into every box though. I know it's something they supposedly considered doing with PS3, but Phil Harrison lost that argument - and Sony may in hindsight think that was a mistake.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
PS3 still hasn't hit the mass market penetration price point. So, it's highly unlikely we will be seeing a PS4 in 2012. In fact, I don't think Sony is even capable of doing that so early, since they will be concentrating on the Vita next year. I don't believe this news.

And hmm yeah, 20 million in 2012 is pretty extreme to say the least.

They'd have to be priced like 199 AND launch in the first half of the year AND be fairly non bleeding edge tech (in order to even manufacture 20m so early) for that even to have a chance of happening.

For example 360 (and I assume PS3) shipped about 1.5m it's first year (November launch, very tight supply through December type deal).

I dont think there's any way you could launch a high performance machine at that scale. And if you could it would probably either be A) priced way too high to sell that many or B) bankrupt Sony.

Alx

SwiftSketcher said:
Kinect-like huh? Can they just rip off their tech like that? You'd think Microsoft would have patented the bejezus out of that control type.

Microsoft owns several patents in the field after having bought 3DV and Canesta, but they still don't own the technology since they use the Primesense sensors.
Besides, it is possible to get similar results with different technologies, and (maybe) circumvent the patents (a "real" low cost time-of-flight camera was announced for this year, but it has a lower resolution than the Primesense/Kinect sensor). But Sony could simply go to Primesense and buy a licence for their tech...

Messypandas said:
didn't Microsoft copy Sony's Eyetoy in any case? Probably existing peripherals before that aswell

Yes camera games existed before Sony and MS went in... I'm not sure if anyone owns patent on them (maybe Logitech ?).

Pooya

20m for laucnh seems very impossible. PS3 currently ships 15m a year for example. Now a new, more advanced hardware, 20m for it's launch?!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
also even if this site is dubious

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Smile_and_Believe_by_nickhole.jpg

Just give me virtual reality sony. you already half-convinced people to wear goggles in there living rooms may aswell go all the way and make me penetrate a 3D world. Thats the revolution the industry needs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To put this rumor in perspective, as of E3 the Vita's design wasn't final (they were considering moving the button placement), which means that it hadn't entered manufacturing yet, and that's launching this year.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Messypandas said:
Just give me virtual reality sony. you already half-convinced people to wear goggles in there living rooms may aswell go all the way and make me penetrate a 3D world. Thats the revolution the industry needs

gimme SMELL, TOUCH, FEELING, THE FUTURE

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Messypandas said:

Interestingly, their 3D guru reckons that's the next step. That the technology is coming into play in the not-to-distant future to revive VR.

http://btween3d.co.uk/people/mick-hocking/

I can't see how you could build a system around this without it being very expensive, though. But they could start peddling some kind of headset as an option, with graceful degradation to TV play. His contact lens talk makes me think about their AR glasses they showed at CES a little while ago...that would be interesting, not your grandfather's HMD, but again, super expensive.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nirolak said:
To put this rumor in perspective, as of E3 the Vita's design wasn't final (they were considering moving the button placement), which means that it hadn't entered manufacturing yet, and that's launching this year.
Probably not with 20 million units though.

DieH@rd

Banned
20mil units in year1? This could work onlyif this is just redesign of the PS3, with little faster hw power and new kinectlike controls. And a monster marketing campaign.

Its fake anyway.

I don't know what to believe anymore, not until it turns up at a market in the Philipines.

Nirolak said:

Ahem:
andriasang said:
CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly wrote that Sony is currently seeking third party opinions on Vita button positioning. In the interview, Yoshida says that Sony sought (past tense) developer input for the button positioning. (Thanks, nanasisan!)

Extremely dubious.

I wouldn't be surprised about a 3D camera being packed in. Sony have said on several occasions that they've tried the tech before and liked it, but went with something with buttons.

If they packed the 3D camera into the box and sold Move optionally, or even packed one in too (might be too expensive), then they'd have everything covered.

M.D

Nirolak said:

I think they corrected the article and said it was a mistranslation and what it said was they talked to third parties about the button placements or something like that

gofreak said:
Interestingly, their 3D guru reckons that's the next step. That the technology is coming into play in the not-to-distant future to revive VR.

http://btween3d.co.uk/people/mick-hocking/

I can't see how you could build a system around this without it being very expensive, though. But they could start peddling some kind of headset as an option, with graceful degradation to TV play. His contact lens talk makes me think about their AR glasses they showed at CES a little while ago...that would be interesting, not your grandfather's HMD, but again, super expensive.

Interesting thanks. In my mind, it seems a natural amalgamation of the Move controller, Eyetoy and 3D glasses. In reality, its probably much harder than that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Galvanise_ said:
Extremely dubious.

I wouldn't be surprised about a 3D camera being packed in. Sony have said on several occasions that they've tried the tech before and liked it, but went with something with buttons.

If they packed the 3D camera into the box and sold Move optionally, or even packed one in too (might be too expensive), then they'd have everything covered.
I think they should pack in the camera as well as a Move/gamepad hybrid (basically a Dualshock split into two one handed controllers) which would serve as the primary controller. Microsoft will likely be doing something similar.

IMBored

By the time a PS4 is announced, the rumors will have it coming packed with a 3d tv and glasses, eyetoy for the kinnect functions and a dualshock with a 3d touchscreen that can be split in order to make two moves.

I've noticed it's like dueling rumors on Xb3/PS4 launch in 2012. One week it's one, the next day it's the other.

And none of them have the ring of truth to them yet...

Man

IMBored said:
By the time a PS4 is announced, the rumors will have it coming packed with a 3d tv and glasses, eyetoy for the kinnect functions and a dualshock with a 3d touchscreen that can be split in order to make two moves.
Three jobs.

I can see PS4 and 780 coming with Motion controls as well as a pad out of the box

funny now that big N jumping out of this type already when they made it

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Graphics Horse said:
I don't know what to believe anymore, not until it turns up at a market in the Philipines.

Ahem:
M.D said:
I think they corrected the article and said it was a mistranslation and what it said was they talked to third parties about the button placements or something like that
Hmm, in that case, I guess it's time to start asking around and looking for more rumors.

If the rumor is true and they're this close to manufacturing, they must have sent dev kits to someone.

That or Sony is now more secretive than Nintendo, which I'm kind of doubting given the Vita.

As such, if no one knows about the system, this points to it being false.

gofreak said:
Dubious indeed.

For the sake of discussion though, if it were true, it'd want to be very advanced to hitch the system around that type of control while also appeasing the hardcore. It would not be IMMENSELY surprising if they bundled some kind of sensor into every box though. I know it's something they supposedly considered doing with PS3, but Phil Harrison lost that argument - and Sony may in hindsight think that was a mistake.
Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembered this. I got all excited thinking there'd be a camera included inside the PS3, and I wouldn't have to shell out the cash for an eyetoy. It would be weird though, needing to angle a console so it can see you... Maybe a camera in the controller instead. Or a camera in both! You getting this Sony?

M.D

Nirolak said:
Hmm, in that case, I guess it's time to start asking around and looking for more rumors.

If the rumor is true and they're this close to manufacturing, they must have sent dev kits to someone.

That or Sony is now more secretive than Nintendo, which I'm kind of doubting given the Vita.

I don't think there's any truth to this rumor.
Nothing about it sound reasonable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SwiftSketcher said:
Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembered this. I got all excited thinking there'd be a camera included inside the PS3, and I wouldn't have to shell out the cash for an eyetoy. It would be weird though, needing to angle a console so it can see you... Maybe a camera in the controller instead. Or a camera in both! You getting this Sony?

I'm sure a camera 'built in' wouldn't be built in to the unit itself...

Anyway, the idea of a camera is the last dubious part of that rumour. It seems fairly logical. Certainly, is it difficult to imagine the next eyetoy offering depth data? It does not mean or imply a hands-free gaming crusade, though, which is what a reference to Kinect might imply. That's an unfortunate connotation. Given the conclusions they've (very publicly) drawn it would most likely be just one element of the interface tech, primarily working in tandem with a controller, and only where suitable, working without. 'Where suitable' might be a wider class of game with more advanced technology, but it would not be the default.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
M.D said:
I don't think there's any truth to this rumor.
Nothing about it sound reasonable.
I agree, but if we assume it's true, we can make logical assumptions about what else must be happening.

Thus, if that other stuff isn't happening, it points to the rumor being false.

As such, looking for rumored specs or developers with PlayStation 4 devkits would be a good way to test validity, since even the Wii U had devkits at publishers 1.5 years before launch.

I just hope the geohot fiasco didn't botch our chances for PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility. Do whatever you want with motion farts Sony, but you better not mess with the BC ):<

miksar

specialguy said:
I've noticed it's like dueling rumors on Xb3/PS4 launch in 2012. One week it's one, the next day it's the other.

And none of them have the ring of truth to them yet...
The new Xbox rumors sound legitimate, what's wrong with them?

If this rumor were true though, it would be pretty stupid. Sony should realize that the market doesn't care about their improved versions of competitors' ideas. They should bring something new to the market (market it as something new) or remain conservative to attract core gamers who don't want any change.

Kinect 2.0 and Move 2.0 will be packed-in PS4/ 720.

Is that so hard to imagine?

Motion controls will be the main way of interacting with games in the, err, future.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
miksar said:
TIf this rumor were true though, it would be pretty stupid. Sony should realize that the market doesn't care about their improved versions of competitors' ideas.
The market cared when they improved upon Nintendo's analog stick with the dual-stick controller concept.
What matters is what concepts they chose to take and what changes they make. Kinect is not ready to be the basis of a system's push, as Microsoft will find out this Christmas.
They should bring something new to the market (market it as something new) or remain conservative to attract core gamers who don't want any change.
The rules changed this generation. Expanding the gaming population is necessary if you want to be a big player and not find yourself serving a niche. Rather than staying conservative, Sony should look for something that has appeal to all segments of the market. I feel Nintendo have pulled this off with Wii U's controller/tablet concept (other aspects of the system are of course a big question mark).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
SwiftSketcher said:
I just hope the geohot fiasco didn't botch our chances for PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility. Do whatever you want with motion farts Sony, but you better not mess with the BC ):<

Well the Vita is backward compatible, so there is hope.

[Nintex]

I can see a very aggressive push from Sony in the gaming market. Trying to launch before Microsoft and beating Nintendo in tech as long as they launch for $399 or less($299 would be the sweet spot) they could be very competitive.

If the PS4 is out in 2012 i hope they don't do anything weird to The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Moving these to a new platform is a good idea actually, the Japanese gaming market needs a kick in the balls like never before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom