• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubious Rumor Site: PS4 to have Kinect style control, Launch w/ 20M units in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
maniac-kun said:
I dont see the apeal of motiongaming anymore.
Pointer systems.
They make intuitive a lot of genres that previously were very clunky on consoles.
I also think that there are hypothetical game designs out there that would justify motion-input outside of the obvious genres (swordfighting, tennis, golf, etc) but we haven't seen them yet thanks to lack of imagination and/or a perception that there's no market for them.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I could go for a perfected Kinect device (with optional PSmove)

maniac-kun said:
I dont see the apeal of motiongaming anymore.
Because devs haven't even come close to tapping the potential it brings

How would full-body motion controls work in games like God of War, Final Fantasy or Killzone?

How can you "move" through a level that is NOT on rails with full-body motion controls?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i would've guessed they would pack in the move/eye for their next console for sure. also some sort of dual shock thing.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
How can you "move" through a level that is NOT on rails with full-body motion controls?

This is the problem that keeps me (and probably any dev who seriously wants to toy around with Kinect) up at night.

Suzzopher

Gram Negative Cocci said:
How would full-body motion controls work in games like God of War, Final Fantasy or Killzone?

If you had an external sensor in the middle of the room, you could in theory use that to give an idea of depth to move around in.

BigJiantRobut said:
This is the problem that keeps me (and probably any dev who seriously wants to toy around with Kinect) up at night.
Well you cant and thats why the Kinect concept is bad without a controller. And you should be able to sit on a couch to play a game.

Gaspode_T

Zeno Clash would be AWESOME with Kinect, I'm having a lot of fun with it (on sale in XBLA DotW)

http://www.1up.com/reviews/zeno-clash-xbla-review

There's also an interesting demo of a Kinect supported demo that is copying Canabalt a popular iOS game:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/walk_the_line_kinect_canabalt.php

The technology is about in as infant of a state as 14.4K baud modems getting major packet loss while you are trying to download the same MP3 for 2 hours. Go watch the movie Strange Days if you want to see what sci fi predicts "games" will be like in the far future.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Assuming Vita doesn't have a worlwide launch this year, i would find it really hard to have believe that Sony would have two hardware launches in the same year.

As Nirolak said, in case the rumor is true, i think that it would be more related to Vita. We already know the vita has a camera and not so long ago there was a demonstration of facial recognition.

maniac-kun said:
Well you cant and thats why the Kinect concept is bad without a controller. And you should be able to sit on a couch to play a game.

Haha, I'm not a dev, in case my post made it sound like I was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Angelcurio said:
Assuming Vita doesn't have a worlwide launch this year, i would find it really hard to have believe that Sony would have two hardware launches in the same year.

As Nirolak said, in case the rumor is true, i think that it would be more related to Vita. We already know the vita has a camera and not so long ago there was a demonstration of facial recognition.
?

miksar

Krev said:
The market cared when they improved upon Nintendo's analog stick with the dual-stick controller concept.
I don't think it did. By the time DualShock was released PS1 was already performing much better than the competitors and was set to be the clear winner of the generation. Almost no software took real advantage of two sticks until the next generation when all controllers except for DC had dual analog. Now the same happens with advanced motion control (WM+ and Move): I only see Skyward Sword as the game that will make real use of higher accuracy in the foreseeable future.

Krev said:
The rules changed this generation. Expanding the gaming population is necessary if you want to be a big player and not find yourself serving a niche. Rather than staying conservative, Sony should look for something that has appeal to all segments of the market. I feel Nintendo have pulled this off with Wii U's controller/tablet concept (other aspects of the system are of course a big question mark).
It is all true. However, the recent history (rear touchpad is debatable) and the fact that Sony doesn't want spend much on R&D this time suggest that Sony won't be able to make something as radical as Wiimote/Kinect. If it is true, Sony'd rather attempt to appeal to core gamers and profit from it as they do with Vita.

20 million?

Thats what it is going to sell in 2.5 years I'd say based on the simple fact that it has/is going to be miles better than Wii U technologically, therefore it has to be an expensive machine - 450+ pricetag.

Knowing Sony, selling it a loss at launch, they wouldn't have the capacity to manufacture, market and afford a loss per unit on 20M units.

Midas

It will be interesting to see how they name the "PS4". If you look at the VITA naming, it seems like they want to move away from just putting a number at the end. Question is if it will actually work with their main system. I think they should've skipped the numbering after PS2. But we'll see how this ends up later, rather than sooner.

"Kinecit-like" could basically mean PSEye taken to it's natural, HD/3D conclusion. A HD 3D camera combined with Move, would basically be the perfect control interface.

Dr Marks and his team have already worked with and researched IR cameras during the PS2 era. I can see them applying what they learned to the Move/EYE setup for the PS4.

itsgreen

Considering that there are no concrete rumours so far... I am calling bullshit.

The only way they could pull it off is if it had A LOT of similarities with the PS3...So that devs could scale their current projects up easily...

If that were the case they could wait to inform devs, but even than we should have heard some things...

googleplex said:
"Kinecit-like" could basically mean PSEye taken to it's natural, HD/3D conclusion. A HD 3D camera combined with Move, would basically be the perfect control interface.

Dr Marks and his team have already worked with and researched IR cameras during the PS2 era. I can see them applying what they learned to the Move/EYE setup for the PS4.

Yeah a 3D Eye has already been rumoured, not really surprising if it has HD and some Kinect-like capabilities. I don´t exepct it to replace Move though.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/06/29/3d-eyetoy-coming-to-ps3/

NEO0MJ

20 million, really?!
Even after delaying it a full quarter(or so the rumor goes) Nintendo only managed to make 3 million 3DS units.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
UMaAW.png

Odds of there being a 20million year one shipment being prepared? Pretty low. A lot of bogus rumours on these sites like to beef up their claims by being a little more robust; you might be skeptical about the hardware, but if they include a sales claim, it makes it sound like their "source" if there is one, is in the know. But the converse is true as well--if the sales aspect of the rumour is incorrect, chances are there is no source or the source is wrong, and thus you should ignore the whole rumour.

That being said, I think it's a foregone conclusion that a subsequent Sony system will have Kinect-like motion controls.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Nirolak said:
To put this rumor in perspective, as of E3 the Vita's design wasn't final (they were considering moving the button placement), which means that it hadn't entered manufacturing yet, and that's launching this year.
Guess i misread this post as imptying they could be talking about the manufactoring of the Vita in the article since it hadn't started production yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Angelcurio said:
Guess i misread this post as imptying they could be talking about the manufactoring of the Vita in the article since it hadn't started production yet.
Oh I see.

Yeah, I was mistaken there. They definitely have to be manufacturing the Vita already if they want it out by Fall, so the Vita couldn't really fit here either.

NEO0MJ said:
20 million, really?!
Even after delaying it a full quarter(or so the rumor goes) Nintendo only managed to make 3 million 3DS units.

"The planned shipment volume of PS4 in 2012".

Kinect sold ~8 million in its first short year and was mostly a North American phenomenon with little interest in Japan.

It's possible and would have to be priced affordably, but still highly dubious.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
UMaAW.png

Odds of there being a 20million year one shipment being prepared? Pretty low. A lot of bogus rumours on these sites like to beef up their claims by being a little more robust; you might be skeptical about the hardware, but if they include a sales claim, it makes it sound like their "source" if there is one, is in the know. But the converse is true as well--if the sales aspect of the rumour is incorrect, chances are there is no source or the source is wrong, and thus you should ignore the whole rumour.

That being said, I think it's a foregone conclusion that a subsequent Sony system will have Kinect-like motion controls.
Is it really? Won't that mean that Nintendo/MS/Sony will all be competing for the same market? Both Nintendo and MS have shown that they now care very little about the hardcore, I can't imagine all three taking the same stance next gen.

Alx

painful fart said:
Yeah a 3D Eye has already been rumoured, not really surprising if it has HD and some Kinect-like capabilities. I don´t exepct it to replace Move though.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/06/29/3d-eyetoy-coming-to-ps3/

3D capture is easy (you only have to record/stream two streams with good sync, and the user's brain on the other end will do all the 3D stuff), but estimating depth with it is more complicated. It would eat up more CPU, and be less reliable in many situations (lack of texturing or repetitive textures, strong shadows, ...).
For user interaction, structured light or time of flight seem like a much better choice.

CosmicGroinPull said:
If they do Kinect, I'm seriously going to turn in my Sony jacket and quit gaming.

I have no problem with Sony making PS Eye Kinect whatever. if they ever announce Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica making on rail Eye Kinect games though, now that will probably make me quit gaming for a while, or at least go PC only.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh the meltdowns if Sony has Kinect-style controls.

Also, 20 million units next year is an absolute pipe dream. That alone should tell people this is false.

Alx said:
3D capture is easy (you only have to record/stream two streams with good sync, and the user's brain on the other end will do all the 3D stuff), but estimating depth with it is more complicated. It would eat up more CPU, and be less reliable in many situations (lack of texturing or repetitive textures, strong shadows, ...).
For user interaction, structured light or time of flight seem like a much better choice.

You are probably right, but together with Move it may be good enough.

http://www.robaid.com/gadgets/sony-enters-body-motion-control-market-with-atracsys-icu.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom