• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

AndyBNV

Nvidia
How weird! But yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. Here's the exact look of my Video.scr file, changed to .txt and opened in notepad:

f06e4f9c086de3dc02f6445a888a46c7.png

Ah hah, fullscreen was (1). With () the old values work. Thanks!

In my spot, I got 44.5 FPS with 8.26, a 4.8 FPS increase, which isn't bad.

Sure: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885444

Basically, PC gamers these days are dumb and think that something is wrong with a game if they can't play it at "max settings". When conversely, something is wrong with a game if they can play it at "max settings".

I think there is some truth to that, as PC gaming has become a bit more mainstream and you see more and more console-only players jumping into PC gaming. Most think that if you buy a contemporary GPU and CPU that you should automatically max games at 60fps.

I also think some of the blame for this can fall on the "pc master race" crowd. They make it seem like 60fps max is a given, but when you are actually a PC gamer you know that is sort of a rare situation for any cutting edge game.

But then there are also the cases like FC4, where the game stutters and performs badly on all settings, low to ultra. I can put it on low and still see stuttering.

For Dying Light, I wouldn't expect to max it at 60fps. It looks fairly complex, lots of NPCs, tons of effects.

I know you are saying PC gamers are dumb for expecting to max their games, but they also routinely ridicule console gamers by touting how they can get 60+ fps max settings while the consoles run lower res and no AA.

I get your point but I think most seasoned PC gamers who have been gaming on PC for years can spot whether they cant max a game because of system limitations, or because its shit optimization or porting.

Gbraga

Oh, that's right, I also have View Distance at 0, which is probably the most important aspect of me holding 60fps on a 680 :p

pa22word

Did they really reduce the maximum graphics?

That is straight criminal.

You never reduce the graphics.

Looks like you can still get og LOD working via edits though!

Also, Dying Light Manager adds some nifty extra effects that even prepatch didn't have, like 8kx8k shadow res, so if you have Dying Light definitely give the tool a shot!

Ah hah, fullscreen was (1). With () the old values work. Thanks!

In my spot, I got 44.5 FPS with 8.26, a 4.8 FPS increase, which isn't bad.

No problem man! Glad to be of help. By chance have you tried going above 8.26? Every time I try to move it to an arbitrary number I end up with a black screen, but I've seen that people have been taking it all the way down to 0.0 to get desired performance out of the game, so worth a shot for someone with the horsepower to spare to try out, if not just to see how crazy you can push it without causing that i7 to weep :p

pa22word

I'll try that tool just for the CA fix. I'm ok with film grain though.

If you're going to use it don't use the one I posted. He's already updated it like 4 times since I posted that link x_o

Here's the new version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mb8hfi4hjmdjxij/Dying+Light+Manager.zip

Be sure to watch this thread over on the steam forums though, as he updates it there quite often. Here's the link to that:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239140/discussions/0/604941528470729562/

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Looks like you can still get og LOD working via edits though!

Also, Dying Light Manager adds some nifty extra effects that even prepatch didn't have, like 8kx8k shadow res, so if you have Dying Light definitely give the tool a shot!

No problem man! Glad to be of help. By chance have you tried going above 8.26? Every time I try to move it to an arbitrary number I end up with a black screen, but I've seen that people have been taking it all the way down to 0.0 to get desired performance out of the game, so worth a shot for someone with the horsepower to spare to try out, if not just to see how crazy you can push it without causing that i7 to weep :p

I just got 10.00, 10.00 to boot. No noticeable changes in screenshots, FPS is a smidge lower.

pa22word

I just got 10.00, 10.00 to boot. No noticeable changes in screenshots, FPS is a smidge lower.

Interesting. I wonder if anything is actually changing, though? Would be cool if 5/6 years down the line when there's crazy new hardware out there that can steamroll this game if people started tinkering with it and pushed it a lot higher to noticeable results. Glad they left it unlocked, in any case.

Really really really hope they don't lock it down with a future patch =\

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Interesting. I wonder if anything is actually changing, though?

If it is it's not visible at 19x10. Given the jump from 8.26 to 10.00, and the tiny FPS decrease, I'm going to guess that ~8.26 is the absolute maximum where extra detail is drawn. If 10.00 were actually rendering extra I'd expect a far larger performance impact.

Afro

Sure: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885444

Basically, PC gamers these days are dumb and think that something is wrong with a game if they can't play it at "max settings". When conversely, something is wrong with a game if they can play it at "max settings".

You're arguing w/ the wrong guy b/c I never complained about either of those. Awkward.

Anyway, only tested this SweetFX profile for a few minutes last night, but it does look a tad better w/o that dirty green/yellow filter.

jorimt

I don't agree at all with the way you presented this. IQ never was and never will be a "just". It's one of the most important things to cater for, especially if you have a high end rig built.."just"..for that. Better "shadow, draw-distance, AA, or AO" (and all the other things that that you can tweak to your liking in PC games, like f.ex. resolution.....) are some of the basic reasons why we buy a PC instead of a console in the first place (I can't stomach the generally poor AF in PS4 games f.ex.).

I think, or most certainly hope, you're misunderstanding me here. Because I agree with you.

What I mean by "just," is that it seems some PC gamers don't realize how quickly one or two (seemingly small) graphical settings can level the fps advantage of a mid to high-end rig over a PS4/Xbox One. The performance budget when compared to consoles is infinite in their minds, which is why they get unnecessarily outraged at the sub 60 framerates they experience when blindly maxing out their settings.

Of course the visual trade-off is worth it. As you said, that's one of the main reason's many of us are on PC. I merely think some of these so-called "PC gamers" need to know their hardware better, and, in turn, temper their expectations.

R_Deckard

I think, or most certainly hope, you're misunderstanding me here. Because I agree with you.

What I mean by "just," is that it seems some PC gamers don't realize how quickly one or two (seemingly small) graphical settings can level the fps advantage of a mid to high-end rig over a PS4/Xbox One. The performance budget when compared to consoles is infinite in their minds, which is why they get unnecessarily outraged at the sub 60 framerates they experience when blindly maxing out their settings.

Of course the visual trade-off is worth it. As you said, that's one of the main reason's many of us are on PC. I merely think some of these so-called "PC gamers" need to know their hardware better, and, in turn, temper their expectations.

You crazy brah! 1440+ 120fps+ FTW..or death!

Denton

You're arguing w/ the wrong guy b/c I never complained about either of those. Awkward.

Anyway, only tested this SweetFX profile for a few minutes last night, but it does look a tad better w/o that dirty green/yellow filter.

Holy crap, that does look awesome, gonna have to test it:

17-2-1422673135.jpg

17-3-1422673135.jpg

Durante

I like your posts in this thread. Well said.

red731

Wow. What is the performance hit?

I bet my ass there is like zero perf. hit. If I am correct - without googling it - this is an injector that plays with post processing like hue, sharpness, bloom, etc.

I've used SweetFX in Borderlands2 and Bioshock:I and noticed no perf drop from what I can member. That is, if you don't apply SMAA or whatever method there is (In BL2 it smoothened the edges pretty well).

Well whatever the latest patch is I went from playing 12.2 hours with no crashes to unplayable.

I can play for about 10 minutes before I get a hard CTD and a "Dying Light has stopped working". I was getting buffered crashes before, but I just added a little Page File Memory, now I'm not sure what's causing this crash. I've looked for ways to rollback to prepatch but haven't found anything yet :(

i7-920 4.0 and 980 Stock because this game hates overclocked video cards.

Gbraga

I bet my ass there is like zero perf. hit. If I am correct - without googling it - this is an injector that plays with post processing like hue, sharpness, bloom, etc.

I've used SweetFX in Borderlands2 and Bioshock:I and noticed no perf drop from what I can member. That is, if you don't apply SMAA or whatever method there is (In BL2 it smoothened the edges pretty well).

Color me impressed, I'll try it out then.

jorimt

jorimt

Imbecile. You realise no one should be able to 'Max' a game when it's released, that way you don't hold back a games technical potential when hardware in future years can.
They reduced the graphics because of complaining like your own, and other devs will do the same if people celebrate their 'optimisation' if they do.

I'm starting to think poor Afro's recent posts have been misunderstood.

I've taken a quick look at his post history, and I could be wrong, but I have yet to see what has justified such hostile replies?

Afro

I've taken a quick look at his post history, and I could be wrong, but I have yet to see what has justified such hostile replies?

So much this.

Absolutely no idea how people are misconstruing my posts to this degree. Where in the world did I say the game should be able to run maxed out at 60fps? lmao

"Imbecile", really? Wow.

Buburibon

I agree. Afro strikes me as someone who's just trying to get the most of out of his hardware, as everyone should. He wants a locked 60fps, so he's been trying to figure out what settings would afford him that kind of experience. Then, the developer sweeps in and "rewrites" the graphics settings and his base of reference goes out the window.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with that, unless I'm the one misunderstanding him.

Afro

I agree. Afro strikes me as someone who's just trying to get the most of out of his hardware, as everyone should. He wants a locked 60fps, so he's been trying to figure out what settings would afford him that kind of experience. Then, the developer sweeps in and "rewrites" the graphics settings and his base of reference goes out the window.

Completely nailed it. Said it better than I would have myself. My articulation needs work, apparently.

Anywayyy, just ordered an AOC G-sync so I'll no longer have to worry about those slight drops from 60fps ever again...and hopefully people will stop yelling at me lol.

Sweetfx is causing some slowdown for me, when without it I was at a pretty reliable ~60fps. This was just me throwing the files in there tho, I'll mess with it later.

Denton

Sweetfx is causing some slowdown for me, when without it I was at a pretty reliable ~60fps. This was just me throwing the files in there tho, I'll mess with it later.

Disable SMAA in the sweetFX file.

The lighting looks good in these. The IQ not so much.

Well, they are by the mod's creator, I doubt he is the IQ connoseur like you or Jim and others :p

Bydobob

Wow this game is bigger and better-looking than I expected, really not surprised at how demanding it is.

4670k @ 4.2
780 @ 1110Mhz (running lower profile due to crash at usually stable 1123)
16Gb RAM
Driver 344.75
Win 8.1
SSD
144Hz monitor
VSync disabled
Everything else maxed out or on in game settings except FOV which is halfway.
1920 x 1080

Using Afterburner, lowest recorded framerate was 34 when that first big zombie comes crashing out of the building. Otherwise mostly in the 40-70 range outdoors.

Game scales well really across 4 cores usually all in the forties. At one point I saw the 4th core at 68% but this was a temporary blip. GPU use a constant 98% so I'm clearly GPU bottlenecked which is how it should be. Lowering draw distance to 0 earned me about 10% improvement in FPS.

VRAM is almost locked at 2900Mb, playing for 2 hours made no difference. Only a couple of occasions early on did it max out at 3072. System RAM 6300Mb which is as high as I've ever seen.

Nothing out of the ordinary with the frametimes, only a handful of serious spikes which were detectable during play. As usual with my monitor, screen tear is barely detectable with VSync disabled.

Overall I'm happy, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm lucky with my setup or my expectations are in check. These threads have a familiar ring to them.

Dez

Anyone able to achieve a 30 fps lock with no judder? I've given up on 60 fps at 1080p with this game. But even with nvidia adaptive vsync at half refresh I can see the fps going above 30.

Gtx980 + 4790k

jorimt

Anyone able to achieve a 30 fps lock with no judder? I've given up on 60 fps at 1080p with this game. But even with nvidia adaptive vsync at half refresh I can see the fps going above 30.

Gtx980 + 4790k

If you want a "console-like" or "judder-less" 30 fps, use Nvidia Inspector to set "Vertical Sync" to "1/2 Refresh Rate" (with "Vertical Sync Tear Control" at "Standard") for the game's profile, and then RivaTuner (comes with MSI Afterburner) to set a 30 fps framelimit for the game's exe.

Also, if you want to ensure you'll have a little less input lag when locking a game to 30, you can set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1" in Nvidia Inspector or the Nvidia control panel for the game's profile.

Buburibon

Gtx980 + 4790k

What are your settings if you don't mind my asking? Your GTX 980+4790K should give you 55-60fps at all times with shadows on "high" instead of "very high", and view distance set to a notch below half.

Otherwise, follow jorimt's advice for a "smooth" 30fps lock.

Panzon

I turned off both vsync and vertical refresh while leaving all other settings on high. Buttery smooth now baby

Gtx 780 and i7 4770k

red731

May it be that when you run the game, it disables DWM and thus disables OS tripple buffering while the in game v-sync is on?
In game v-sync(looks like double buffered) locks me to 30fps and to 60fps while looking into not so demanding area. No v-sync that holds across every fps.
Well, none the less, I have turned it off because it kills my performance, adds VERY noticable input delat and meow.

Looking forward to new AMD GPU drivers.

i7 3770k@4.4
16GB RAM
7970 GHz 3GB
game on 7200rpm disk
MSI Afterburned says that GPU mem is around ~2550MB

Everything is on and maxed except view distance which I have on 0/50/100 depending where I am (and how I feel).
Changing stuff gives me no perf. increase. (except view distance)
FPS fluctuate between 35*-80** and is stable ~45fps outside.

*face shots with nVidia DOF and heavy shit going on scenes
**tunnels and other closed places

riflen

Dont know why games dont come with a 30fps lock personally.

The same reason they virtually never feature true triple buffering. Like everything in game development, they're weighing time and effort against utility of the feature. To develop that feature in a way that would make it worthwhile (i.e. with proper frame pacing) would not be something that could be done in a few hours. Sure, you could just slap a basic frame limiter in there and call it a day, but if its results are shitty, then why bother? Especially when some external utility or driver feature does it for you already and to a higher standard.

I'm not sure how many of their customers want or need a 30fps feature, making it even more dubious to spend the time. For example, I haven't played a PC game at 30fps since about 1998 and don't care to.

I turned off nvidia dof last night and that seemed to fix it.

I notched down textures to medium and it does run way smoother, far less hitches.

Some of the textures are seriously downgraded though. Especially elements like graffiti and small world objects like notes on walls, labels on small objects.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I dunno what they did*, but I went from about 35 min and 45 avg, to 60 locked.

i5 750 and a 4gig 770.

I'm guessing they turned down more stuff?

I was at everything med, draw dis 0, I'll try it later at everything max, draw dis 0, but I'm in an indoor area right now.

derFeef

May it be that when you run the game, it disables DWM and thus disables OS tripple buffering while the in game v-sync is on?
In game v-sync(looks like double buffered) locks me to 30fps and to 60fps while looking into not so demanding area. No v-sync that holds across every fps.
Well, none the less, I have turned it off because it kills my performance, adds VERY noticable input delat and meow.

Looking forward to new AMD GPU drivers.

i7 3770k@4.4
16GB RAM
7970 GHz 3GB
game on 7200rpm disk
MSI Afterburned says that GPU mem is around ~2550MB

Everything is on and maxed except view distance which I have on 0/50/100 depending where I am (and how I feel).
Changing stuff gives me no perf. increase. (except view distance)
FPS fluctuate between 35*-80** and is stable ~45fps outside.

*face shots with nVidia DOF and heavy shit going on scenes
**tunnels and other closed places

Seems to run as well as I thought, hopefully I was right with my prediction :)
AMD drivers can't come soon enough, especially Crossfire support.

red731

Seems to run as well as I thought, hopefully I was right with my prediction :)
AMD drivers can't come soon enough, especially Crossfire support.

Haha, you were right - I know that I could squeeze even more frames per sec by using that tool that was taking rounds around here.

Like disabling CA, them cloud shadows, grain, etc..but....eye candy
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom