• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Digital Event

Puppets?

Results are only viewable after voting.
One thing I havent seen talked about...

Its Mario's 30 years anniversary.

Rare is celebrating their anniversary with 30 games for $30.

Nintendo gives us a YouTube channel for Mario music.

Anyone else felt a slap in the face?

Kurtofan

Let's look at the facts here. Nintendo blundered with Animal Crossing and Metroid. Both series have a lot of vocal fans. This is a shame but it's not all.

Rest of the direct? Cool new stuff like Zelda Three Swords, the Mario RPG crossover, a new Mario Tennis, a platinum game Star Fox...

New footage/info of Wooly World, Xenoblade CX, Yokai Watch, Fire Emblem Fates, the Atlus game, Super Mario Maker...

Hell I'm not disappointed.

Nintendo is still doing new games

Parapraxis

The lack of even a hint at a true 3D Mario game ala Galaxy left me pretty damn sour to be honest.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
My expectations were super low and even then they managed to really disappoint me,
This was even worse than the Wii Music year.

Starfox, and I usually love cel shading so no it's isn't because of the artstyle per se, looked like a super low budget title... or super early, but since it's coming soon... :(

I wasn't before, but now I'm starting to side with the "early 2017 at the latest for new hardware coming" boat, I mean there's jack shit for WiiU and 3DS and Zelda will probably be cross-gen.
Thank god for Sony's conference.

Oh, the "and one more thing" bit just to give us a video was a slap in the face.
The whole thing clocked at 52 minutes more or less and for its content it felt just like a normal "hefty" direct, definitely not E3's

And the ability to make your own Mario levels in 4 different styles with limitless possibilities.

What a slap in the face.

lt519

They lacked a system seller to start the Wii U off with and it killed it. They won't make that mistake again. Take that for what it is.

Tabris

Know what's kind of funny, if you told someone the following:

"Nintendo would show a Mario, a Zelda, a Star Fox, a Metroid, and an Animal Crossing". They would have thought Nintendo absolutely crushed it.

How could they get that so wrong? All the franchises people wanted but none of the games.

So was Iwata holding bananas hinting anything, or was that just meant to be funny?

Iwata held bananas at E3 2012, and then one year later, Nintendo announces DKC Returns 3D and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Bananas represent the comical slip and fall of Nintendo brand.

Sendou

Sooooo 2015 is gonna be one of THOSE years to be a nintendo fan? Ok, I've been through 2011 and I turned out ok........

Let's see here: New StarFox from PlatinumGames and EAD Kyoto, Splatoon by EAD Kyoto, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker by EAD Tokyo, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker, semi-sequel to the best game of 2013: ALBW, Xenoblade Chronicles X...

Personally I think I'll live.

How could they get that so wrong? All the franchises people wanted but none of the games.

Pretty sure people asked for Super Mario Maker. Certainly more than another 2D-Mario in the style of the NSMB series.

Neifirst

bought ZombiU, NG III: RE, AC 3, NFS: MW, CoD Black Ops 2, and Deus Ex HR on Wii U, and would LOVE to see more of those games on the Wii U. But clearly, those games didn't sell well at all even when the difference in those games was either negligible, or actually enhanced on the Wii U. But clearly there aren't a lot like me out there.

I'm willing to bet that if Square Enix's Japanese-developed lineup came out on NX, they would sell just fine. There's no history of western-developed games outside of Rare ever selling well on Nintendo systems, but the track record for Japanese ones is quite a bit different.

Opiate

I am in a Whatsapp group full of hardcore Nintendo fans and they all hated it. This tells me enough.

It sure as heck wasn't meant to appeal to non-Nintendo fans, either. That would be one thing, if Nintendo were breaking out of their "core Nintendo fan base."

But when you stick to your established IPs and still fail, that suggests a particularly bad showing.

Hatchtag

Banned
The lack of even a hint at a true 3D Mario game ala Galaxy left me pretty damn sour to be honest.

I thought when the montage started at the end, showing Mario games in release order, it might end with a teaser of a new Mario game. But no, that'd require the Wii U to not be on life support.

Number_6

You should really see Nintendo seperate from Xbox/PS. MS and Sony go for the exact same crowd.

Nintendo goes more for young kids, nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that they lost those young kids to Minecraft and mobile games.

Nintendo goes for the entire family--kids, parents, grandma, and average gamers all included.

Gens are gens for reasons. 2016 is too soon, Wii U just came out. Not long before they lose everybody because a console should be supported for longer than 2-3 years.

Bluenoser

What does it say that after 3+ years on the market, and sales that are embarrassing by any company's standards, they did not try to drum up interest by announcing a Wii U price cut to $199? To me this is the biggest indicator that they are ready to go down with the ship before swallowing their pride.

The Wii U is a 1000 lb anchor being held afloat by the 3ds. But eventually the DS will run out of juice. (cheesy metaphor lol)

Seems clear that those companies devs who chose to mainly show 2016 games have been received quite well, while showing 2015 games is doing it wrong, oh and I like how all of these games coming this year are suddenly 'shovelware'

Still it's true that they didn't learn the lesson from last year when the game they showed which was 2+ years out got the biggest reception. Iwata teased amazing new Zelda u footage in an interview today and if they had simply teased us with that this conversation would be different. You silly bastards, nintendo

The difference is that a company like Sony spend 90 minutes showing 2016 games, and still not show everything coming to their platform, while still having a holiday 2015 with Fallout 4, Battefront, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six Siege, Uncharted Collection, Disgaea 5, Rock band 4, Fifa 16, Madden 16, Skylanders, Lego, Mad Max, Metal Gear Solid 5, God Of War remaster, and at least a dozen other games.

And that is just retail. Get into downloadable titles and you have another 20-30 games.

The almost complete lack of third party support really leaves Nintendo in a bad position when it comes to promoting their platforms and actually putting new games on shelves.

Verger

Banned
I honestly believe the NX will be a Console that can also double as a Handheld.

I think that it'd make sense for Nintendo so that they aren't always dividing their resources between a dedicated console and handheld, especially with the Japanese handheld market dying and mobile growing.

That would work out best so that any games Nintendo announces will just be for one platform, aside from their mobile stuff with DeNA.

DeathPeak

Eh. Wasn't great, but I knew they wouldn't be showing anything past early 2016. It was mentioned repeatedly. It's way too soon for NX to come out. If they release it next year, It's just going to be in the same boat as Wii U with nothing at launch except possibly Zelda. Then you'll be playing remasters for a year and then another New Super Mario by 2017. I can understand the reassurance people need that a new Metroid is being developed by Retro. Even if you won't be playing it for another 2 years, but I'd rather know what I'll be able to play through to the end of the year. Whether or not those games look lackluster to people is a different story.

So Star Fox looks amazing, Super Mario Maker looks amazing, Zelda looks amazing, new Fire Emblem, SMT x FE, Xenoblade X gets a release date...

I don't understand the hate. Just because new Zelda U is still a ways away?

It sure as heck wasn't meant to appeal to non-Nintendo fans, either. That would be one thing, if Nintendo were breaking out of their "core Nintendo fan base."

But when you stick to your established IPs and still fail, that suggests a particularly bad showing.
I don't think they blew it... I think many people had expectations that were way too high. You could see this coming a mile away.

thefro

I'm willing to bet that if Square Enix's Japanese-developed lineup came out on NX, they would sell just fine. There's no history of western-developed games outside of Rare ever selling well on Nintendo systems, but the track record for Japanese ones is quite a bit different.

Turok on N64 sold pretty decently.

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

:0

Mr Swine

Banned
Did Nintendo announce any N3DS games or is the handheld more or less worthless for us that have normal 3DS? How are they expecting both Wii U and 3DS to sell for 1.5 years where software is drying up? :/

Ansatz

I just hope Nintendo is actually creating games for NX. This is the same fucking shit that happened with the Wii to Wii U. No Games for the last year to year and a half for the Wii and there was still barely anything for the Wii U

Because they had two platforms they support basically all by themselves. When Wii U had its droughts I was playing 3DS, and vice versa. I'm practically a Nintendo only gamer at this point (because I very much dislike the direction of modern AAA games) and by owning both a 3DS and Wii U I feel satisfied.

NX could be massive if it unifies their total games output in one place, and it's now lined up perfectly for Metroid Prime (Retro Studios), 3D Mario (EAD Tokyo) and Zelda to appear within the first year of the system, given it launches late 2016. And since Zelda is likely cross-gen, that would be the exact same situation as Wii's first year. I still remember Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. Man that was one legendary period. I hope this is what they are planning to recreate next year.

Jasper

Am I the only one that thinks Iwata is going to burn Nintendo down to the ground?

He just comes across as very stubborn, very cheap (always opting for outdated hardware and a generation behind the competition) and borderline delusional/in denial about Nintendo's vulnerable position.

There's the saying - you need to spend money to make money. Iwata really seems like a leader who goes completely against that philosophy and wants to spend as little as possible - and yet arrogantly expect grand returns for Nintendo.

Supposedly Nintendo have 10 billion in cash....well start spending it and do something to save the company.

IWATA NEEDS TO GO!!!!

Josh5890

What does it say that after 3+ years on the market, and sales that are embarrassing by any company's standards, they did not try to drum up interest by announcing a Wii U price cut to $199? To me this is the biggest indicator that they are ready to go down with the ship before swallowing their pride.

The Wii U is a 1000 lb anchor being held afloat by the 3ds. But eventually the DS will run out of juice. (cheesy metaphor lol)

That controller will keep Nintendo from giving the Wii-U a price like that until they discontinue the thing.

Hatchtag

Banned
Man, I haven't seen this much Nintendo hate since the Wii U launch. I almost wonder if another emergency direct a la January 2013 could happen out of it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Starfox gameplay - developed by Platinum
Super Mario Maker - trailer, will save specific talk for the Treehouse stream
Fire Emblem IF - trailer, will save specific information about North American release (if they'll do 1 or 2 versions) for a Direct AFTER the game has launched in Japan.
Retro's new game - not Metroid... just... i dunno man.
Next Level Games' next game - Luigi's Mansion 3 for WiiU
Gamecube remaster - Mario Sunshine HD?
Paper Mario 3DS - port of Thousand Year Door... GOD DAMNIT, PLEASE HAPPEN
Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer
Amiibo-centric game for WiiU
Wasn't so off with my predictions, but lack of a Retro game, Metroid or not, lack of a Next Level game.

Paper Mario 3DS actually wasn't so far off with Mario and Luigi. Amiibo game ended up just being an emphasis on Skylanders which... damn that segment ran long

Kurtofan

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

Take a step back and breathe, realize you've been overreacting

I loved the bolded line to bits. 'Look, is it good stuff? No. Is it stuff we wanted? No. But why does it have to be good, or wanted? Can't we just be happy something exists? What's with this focus on quality?'

Griss that last person you quoted wasn't saying quality doesn't matter, he even said that what they put out was decent.. He was saying even if it wasn't stuff we wanted like a new metroid, F-Zero etc. etc. that the stuff they did reveal was decent, in that poster's opinion. I don't agree with that entirely, but I see where he's coming from. He never said, "oh well these games are garbage, but nobody should complain'"

Besides if Nintendo only made what people wanted, we probably wouldn't have gotten splatoon. It would have been great Nintendo had another original game on that level at this event.

Top Bottom