• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor dog. : (

The jogger and owner are equally responsible for what happened. He overreacted and she should have had her animals on leashes.

Equally responsible? Fuck off with that.

The pug should have been on a leash but at worst that warrants a complaint or fine, not murder of a pet.

The guy is like 95% at fault to 5% fault for the owner. Jesus Christ

You can't assume that...

A) The jogger can identify pugs

B) That jogger knows that pugs are probably not that dangerous

C) That conditions made identification of breed easy

Nafai1123

Banned
I might be crazy, but if I see an unleashed small dog, I don't immediately assume it's ravenous for my ankles. I assume it's because the dog is well trained enough to be off leash.

Should the dog have been on a leash? Yes. Does that excuse the runner kicking it? No.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

The pug should have been on a leash but at worst that warrants a complaint or fine, not murder of a pet.

What should a person that has been bitten by a tiny dog in the past do to defend himself with least risk of being bitten?

so?

if someone is mugged, are they now allowed to punch out anyone who startles them?

People who startle you aren't required to be on a leash in public.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I did and the point is completely irrelevent

It's completely relevant. You are a shitty, irresponsible dog owner if you are just letting them run around in public. This is the kind of thing that's liable to happen. I feel bad for the dog, and for both parties here, but the owner should've known better.

Maximus.

Agreed. It's like someone cuts you off on the road. You going to blow up their car and kill them? Extreme example, but same thing. Threatens your safety. Doesn't warrant such an excessive response.

THRILLH0

Banned
You can't assume that...

Who gives a fuck if he knew it was a pug? Why is the automatic reaction to attack?

jackal27

Banned
Really sad for that pup, but land sakes PUT YOUR DOGS ON LEASHES. Some people panic or just act like idiots around animals and might react like this.

Also, cars?

Shiggy

I have. What now?

If you like that, I don't. I'd rather prevent myself from being bitten. But if some people enjoy that, that's ok.

I've been bitten multiple times actually and my reaction isn't to kick a fucking tiny dog.

And pugs look threatening? Lol okay then.

Depends on the dog. I don't find digs threatening based on size. I find then threatening based on whether they come running at me and bark loudly. And that's most often the case for very small dogs.

If dog owners are too stupid to take care of their dogs, they are to be blamed. I doubt that most people would kill dogs just for the sake of it rather than because they feel threatened. Also, when I'm cycling and some stupid dog owner thinks his dog can just run right in front of my bike, I'm not going to steer over to fall of the bike.

Some of you guys seem rather irrational when it comes to dog love. Safety of a dog seems to go over preventing harm to yourself. Interesting idea.

kewlmyc

Dog should have been leashed and the jogger overreacted. Unless the jogger has the legs of freaking Chun-Li, the dog shouldn't have died from a "tap". The owner's story also seems fishy because it makes it sound like the guy just kicked it randomly for giggles right in front of the owner, which is even more unbelievable than the jogger's story.

Sounds like the dog ran up to the jogger, the jogger wasn't paying attention, got spooked, kicked it way harder than he thought, and it died. Wouldn't have happened if the dog was on a leash. Probably what the court will decide as well if the only evidence we have are these two conflicting testimonies. Poor pug. Wish owners would be more responsible. Aren't there leash laws for this kind of thing?

tumblr_inline_nkb2exIa0E1to5mdr.gif

what new devilry is this
Great, now I want to go out and adopt a pug. Thanks.

Wazzy

Banned
You can't assume that...

You don't need to identify a fucking breed when you can SEE it's size. A pug is a tiny dog.

Plus pugs are one of the most popular and well known dogs so I doubt he couldn't recognize one.

3phemeral

oh my fucking god, dunno, run away? stick your shoe out?

the dog WASNT EVEN ATTACKING HIM
I'm curious, though. If you spot an unknown dog while you're running, at what point do you know it's attacking? Before or after you've been bitten?

I don't think the jogger had enough time to assess the situation, which is why he reacted the way he did (if not deliberately malicious).

Shiggy

You don't need to identify a fucking breed when you can SEE it's size. A pug is a tiny dog.

Plus pugs are one of the most popular and well known dogs so I doubt he couldn't recognize one.

What does size matter when they can still do nice harm to your leg? I got bitten by a pug and it hurt like hell...

But he can't help the crippling fear when aggressively approached by a 15 pound dog.

I'm glad I'll never know that fear.

It also says in the article that the woman was putting the other dog on a leash when it happened, so I don't understand why some people are so heated on the leash thing

Ray Wonder

the dog WASNT EVEN ATTACKING HIM

http://theilovedogssite.com/what-to-do-when-an-off-leash-dog-charges-your-dog/ said:
Assume It’s Aggressive. The first rule is to NEVER assume the dog is friendly. Don’t try to read its signals and definitely do not think it’s friendly because its wagging is tail (see this article for why).
Read more at http://theilovedogssite.com/what-to-do-when-an-off-leash-dog-charges-your-dog/#8jzrWYHH8ILMmslg.99

run away?
Dogs are fast. Dude was an older guy. As mentioned here.

stick your shoe out?
You're still at risk. This doesn't do much.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You would think someone would want to avoid the potential consequences that would come from kicking someone else's pet
It was a woman with no man present, he probably didn't expect any repercussions.

You can't assume that...

Lol, good. This thread needs more humor.

Shiggy

I'm curious, though. If you spot an unknown dog while you're running, at what point do you know it's attacking? Before or after you've been bitten?

I don't think the jogger had enough time to assess the situation, which is why he reacted the way he did (if not deliberately malicious).

I agree. If a dog comes running at me and barks loudly, how do I know it's not attacking me?

I certainly don't like random dogs jumping at me either.

anaron

http://theilovedogssite.com/what-to-do-when-an-off-leash-dog-charges-your-dog/ said:
Assume It’s Aggressive. The first rule is to NEVER assume the dog is friendly. Don’t try to read its signals and definitely do not think it’s friendly because its wagging is tail (see this article for why).
Read more at http://theilovedogssite.com/what-to-do-when-an-off-leash-dog-charges-your-dog/#8jzrWYHH8ILMmslg.99

Dogs are fast. Dude was an older guy. As mentioned here.

You're still at risk. This doesn't do much.

LOL have you ever been around a pug in your life?

some of you seem like you just really want to kick dogs

so many assumptions in this thread especially against the jogger

1. he must have kicked it hard thats why it died - not true
2. you cant be startled by a small dog - not true
3. everyone knows the behaviour patterns of every dog breed 'bu-bu its a pug!!' - not true
4. but he didnt bite he was just charging - what comes before the bite? charge
This is a really dumb scenario that someone already posed. It implies that just because something isn't quite as important as something else, that that latter thing doesn't deserve the same rights as the former. Or that someone can't still have a lot of emotion for that latter thing.

Your house is burning down. You can only save your wife or your child. If you save your child, is that because your wife isn't important to you and isn't a part of your family? Does this mean you wouldn't care if someone killed your wife just because you care more about your child?

u could say its as dumb as posters comparing dogs to children and acting as if they are the same thing

Wazzy

Banned
Depends on the dog. I don't find digs threatening based on size. I find then threatening based on whether they come running at me and bark loudly. And that's most often the case for very small dogs.

If dog owners are too stupid to take care of their dogs, they are to be blamed. I doubt that most people would kill dogs just for the sake of it rather than because they feel threatened. Also, when I'm cycling and some stupid dog owner thinks his dog can just run right in front of my bike, I'm not going to steer over to fall of the bike.

Some of you guys seem rather irrational when it comes to dog love. Safety of a dog seems to go over preventing harm to yourself. Interesting idea.
Irrational? You're the one justifying kicking a tiny dog that is not a threat to you. A small dog isn't going to kill you.

If you're so angry at the owners not controlling their dog, speak to them and take it out on the owner, not the 15lb dog who is more than likely just coming to say hello.

Slashlen

What a shitty owner. Put your damn dog on a leash. I feel sorry for the jogger if he has to deal with people like some of the ones in this thread.

Keep your dogs on a leash!!! Dog owners and smokers are among the most ignorant people.

I would not hesitate to defend myself from any dog if it attacked me. Though not so violently against small dogs. If it bit me though, I would not hesitate to kick it.

Ray Wonder

man, some of you seem like you really want to kick dogs

He was bitten by a tiny dog. You keep saying that like it matters even in the slightest.
Also, I've already described my disposition here:

I don't condone killing dogs, in fact I loved my dog like family when I had her. If this happened to my dog, I would be extremely angry with the guy. However, I do condone defending yourself from a dog if you feel threatened. If the guy felt threatened, he has a right to defend himself. No matter how ridiculous that sounds to any one of us because it was a pug.

It's clear that this lady loves her pugs. They're adorable, and it's absolutely awful that this happened. Yet, she has to be more responsible as a dog owner. I would never let my dog off a leash when I wasn't in a dog park. It's just common sense. I want to protect my dogs from strangers like this, just as much as I want to keep her out of harms way from herself (running into traffic etc.)

Who gives a fuck of he knew it was a pug? Why is the automatic reaction to attack?

Because the argument that he intentionally used excessive force is weak. It assumes he knew what an appropriate amount of force would have been, i.e. that it was a pug.

He was probably reacting to what he perceived as an attack, which is not surprising because he had at least one prior experience where a small dog had attacked him according to the article.

Compsiox

Banned
It would be quite hard to not totally destroy someone where they stood if they kicked my fucking pup. Wonder if you'd be on the right side of the law for doing so.

No you wouldn't. You would have to say that they threatened you or something. An animals death doesn't justify harm to humans.

I know it sucks, I would do it anyway.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It was a woman with no man present, he probably didn't expect any repercussions.
Then why would he call the police to report the incident afterwards? By that logic, he should have just kept on his way.

Oh Shamrock7r, I haven't forgotten you. Looking forward to that answer.

What is that supposed to mean, exactly?

Mostly earlier in the thread when many users were putting 100% of the blame on the owner, and implying they would also kick the dog with an excessive amount of force/putting no blame on the jogger's actions. The use of fear as a reasonable justification, all of which I found as an interesting parallel the problems with cops currently.

Oh I haven't forgotten you either

anaron

Then why would he call the police to report the incident afterwards? By that logic, he should have just kept on his way.

he only reported it after the woman screamed him down because he kept on going like it didn't matter

Wazzy

Banned
u could say its as dumb as posters comparing dogs to children and acting as if they are the same thing
Except they are similar. A parent has responsibility to watch their children and control their actions. Same with dog owners.

If a child breaks something important to you or harms someone, you get mad at the parent, not the child.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

some of you seem like you just really want to kick dogs

It's not about wanting to kick dogs. It's about shitty dog owners just letting their dogs walk around in public doing whatever. I shouldn't be put in the situation of having to figure out whether your dog is approaching me aggressively or not because you think it's cute to have him walk around with no leash. People aren't obligated to deal with your pets.

I say that at the risk of sounding like a dick but it's true. I love dogs myself, but there are some really shitty dog owners out there.

Shiggy

Irrational? You're the one justifying kicking a tiny dog that is not a threat to you. A small dog isn't going to kill you.

If you're so angry at the owners not controlling their dog, speak to them and take it out on the owner, not the 15lb dog who is more than likely just coming to say hello.

Ok, so if I'm starting to beat you up with flesh wounds, you would still not do anything? After all, I'm not going to kill you, so you shouldn't prevent me from beating you up.

I'm not going to kick a dog which isn't running and barking at me and seemingly going to attack that. Who does that? It's a reaction to a perceived threat.

3phemeral

Except they are similar. A parent has responsibility to watch their children and control their actions. Same with dog owners.

If a child breaks something important to you or harms someone, you get mad at the parent, not the child.

I don't think children are assumed as having these qualities:

• stray
  • rabid
  • biting strangers

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Lol, good. This thread needs more humor.

Mostly earlier in the thread when many users were putting 100% of the blame on the owner, and implying they would also kick the dog with an excessive amount of force/putting no blame on the jogger's actions. The use of fear as a reasonable justification, all of which I found as an interesting parallel the problems with cops currently.

Oh I haven't forgotten you either
You're drawing a parallel between kicking dogs and cops shooting blacks? Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure.

Ray Wonder

They're not similar. Kids don't run like the wind, and bite with little razors. I'm baffled that people want to bring that comparison up. It makes your other arguments seem less valid because that one is so ridiculous.

It's not about wanting to kick dogs. It's about shitty dog owners just letting their dogs walk around in public doing whatever. I shouldn't be put in the situation of having to figure out whether your dog is approaching me aggressively or not because you think it's cute to have him walk around with no leash. People aren't obligated to deal with your pets.

I say that at the risk of sounding like a dick but it's true. I love dogs myself, but there are some really shitty dog owners out there.

I don't know how, but your comment is quoting me saying something that Anaron said.

anaron

They're not similar. Kids don't run like the wind, and bite with little razors. I'm baffled that people want to bring that comparison up. It makes your other arguments seem less valid because that one is so ridiculous.
the comparison is due to dogs and very young children sharing a similar mentality with depending on their parents to take care of them and prevent them from getting in trouble

antonz

I really don't see how this is a he said she said case. He admitted to "tapping" the dog. A tap is not going to kill the animal therefore its easy to conclude his "tap" was much more potent than that.

Wazzy

Banned

You're missing the entire point. Children and dogs are dependant on the people raising them. If either acts out of line, you take it out on the owner/parent.

I mean Christ, is it really that hard to imagine a situation where a child causing issues has made someone snap at the child?

Ok, so if I'm starting to beat you up with flesh wounds, you would still not do anything? After all, I'm not going to kill you, so you shouldn't prevent me from beating you up.

I'm not going to kick a dog which isn't running and barking at me and seemingly going to attack that. Who does that? It's a reaction to a perceived threat.
This is one of the dumbest examples I've ever seen.

You have the capability of killing me, a tiny animal doesn't.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
he only reported it after the woman screamed him down because he kept on going like it didn't matter
There is nothing in the OP that backs up your statement.

The man went to the front of the school to find someone with a cell phone and called police, Hull said, but there are conflicting statements from both parties as to how hard the dog was kicked.

No one else was present when the incident occurred and neither party was identified by police.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
If you like that, I don't. I'd rather prevent myself from being bitten. But if some people enjoy that, that's ok.

So you'll just run over the dog because fuck it, you might fall off? You're a fucking asshole.

sometimes you don't have enough time to properly identify what specific breed of dog is running towards you and whether or not you should kick or pet it. This also assumes that you can identify every dog breed and know whether they are dangerous or not. not everyone knows what type of dog is which. usually ugly dog = pitbull

15 pounds... that says it all about identyfying danger in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom