• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners of aggressive dogs aren't in the habit of risking a lawsuit by letting their dogs off leash.

As a kid I had neighbors across the street that had an aggressive pit bull they let run around their yard and that escaped daily until animal services took it away. My dad had to hide in his car once because he charged after him and was attacking the car.

My other neighbor next door to me had a Chow Chow that they let run around their barely fenced in yard. She'd get into our yard every so often, and she got incredibly aggressive around the mailman. She was gentle with us... but that's a dog that's prone to being dangerous when it wants to be. We never risked it when she escaped, just called animal services.

That's literally the only two aggressive dogs I've seen in my life and neither were well contained or restrained.

Nafai1123

Banned
As a kid I had neighbors across the street that had an aggressive pit bull they let run around their yard and that escaped daily until animal services took it away. My dad had to hide in his car once because he charged after him and was attacking the car.

My other neighbor next door to me had a Chow Chow that they let run around their barely fenced in yard. She'd get into our yard every so often, and she got incredibly aggressive around the mailman. She was gentle with us... but that's a dog that's prone to being dangerous when it wants to be. We never risked it when she escaped, just called animal services.

That's literally the only two aggressive dogs I've seen in my life and neither were well contained or restrained.

Nowhere did I say that ALL aggressive dogs are well contained or restrained. My point is that if someone is walking their dog, and knows it can be aggressive, they are unlikely to let it off leash for fear that it will attack someone/something.

Why would you kick a pug among ANY fucking dog breed? I don't think there's a more harmless looking breed in this world. Fucking piece of shit. Any excuse of "it looked agressive" can fuck right off.

Frog-fu

Banned
My neighbor owned a doberman who was never on its leash. One day, it saw me running around in the yard and ran at me. Turns out the dog was super sweet and just wanted to play and lick me. No leash is not a justification for murder.

Murder is a tad loaded.

I've been the similar situations, it's unreasonable to expect people not to react violently if they cannot determine the intent of an unfamiliar animal coming their way. The burden for proving self-defence shouldn't be higher against animals than it is against humans.

Nowhere did I say that ALL aggressive dogs are well contained or restrained. My point is that if someone is walking their dog, and knows it can be aggressive, they are unlikely to let it off leash for fear that it will attack someone/something.
Why exactly should I be putting my faith in the faith random strangers have with their dogs?

Javaman

That's ignoring the owners that are in denial that their dog might attack strangers. It might be sweet and nice to it's owners and family, but many really don't know how it'll react to strangers.

Nafai1123

Banned
Why exactly should I be putting my faith in the faith random strangers have with their dogs?

YOU can do whatever you want. If you believe kicking a pug in the head and killing it is a reasonable response to it running up to you, then that's what you believe. I personally think it's the wrong response.

I have no confidence in people's judgements of their dog. I have no intention of being the one limping around bleeding while the owner goes on repeating the "he's never done that before" line.

This boils my blood on two levels. One, fuck that asshole for kicking a dog, and second, every heartbreaking or awful dog story starts exactly the same, "they were well behaved and always obey my command so I didn't have them on their leash" Don't let your dogs off the leash when in public! I know your dog is super awesome and the smartest dog ever and always obeys you and never ever gets in trouble off leash...until something goes wrong that one time.

My brother and his now ex-wife's dog was killed in front of them the day after their wedding because he was off leash and hit by a car. My friend's ridiculously smart, well trained dog out of no where nipped a little kid in the face in a public park and he was then sued for damages. Not only was this the only time this dog did anything remotely disobedient off leash, it was the first time it even so much as showed a snarl at a human, let alone bite one, in over 8+ years of disciplined, thoughtful, loving ownership. My mom never bothered to leash our little terrier who was her shadow but he was attacked by a golden retriever that he ran up too when off leash, right in front of our house. He shook him like a toy and the only reason he wasn't instantly killed is the dog mostly big the front of his chest and not directly on the neck. She leashed him while walking after that.

Keep your dogs on a leash in public unless in a specific fenced in area for dogs. You deserve any horrible outcomes for your hubris. Dude is a vile scumbag on every level for kicking an animal that was in no way endangering him, especially an adorable little pug. But guess what, responsible owners don't allow their pets to be put in situations like that.

/rant

WorldStar

Banned
My neighbor owned a doberman who was never on its leash. One day, it saw me running around in the yard and ran at me. Turns out the dog was super sweet and just wanted to play and lick me. No leash is not a justification for murder.

I don't think you know the definition of murder

Nafai1123

Banned
I have no confidence in people's judgements of their dog. I have no intention of being the one limping around bleeding while the owner goes on repeating the "he's never done that before" line.

Again, you don't need to have confidence in the owners judgment. If you think it's OK to kick a pug in the head and kill it because it's approaching you, it's your right to think that way. I am of the belief that it's not a black and white choice between letting the dog possibly bite you and kicking it. Read my full post above for my reasoning.

Seventy70

You guys are acting like he stood there and kicked the shit out of the dog. He didn't plan out that he wanted to murder a dog. He probably reacted out of instinct. 100% the dog owners fault. Anyone who says otherwise is biased.

Booshka

This boils my blood on two levels. One, fuck that asshole for kicking a dog, and second, every heartbreaking or awful dog story starts exactly the same, "they were well behaved and always obey my command so I didn't have them on their leash" Don't let your dogs off the leash when in public! I know your dog is super awesome and the smartest dog ever and always obeys you and never ever gets in trouble off leash...until something goes wrong that one time.

My brother and his now ex-wife's dog was killed in front of them the day after their wedding because he was off leash and hit by a car. My friend's ridiculously smart, well trained dog out of no where nipped a little kid in the face in a public park and he was then sued for damages. Not only was this the only time this dog did anything remotely disobedient off leash, it was the first time it even so much as showed a snarl at a human, let alone bite one, in over 8+ years of disciplined, thoughtful, loving ownership. My mom never bothered to leash our little terrier who was her shadow but he was attacked by a golden retriever that he ran up too when off leash, right in front of our house. He shook him like a toy and the only reason he wasn't instantly killed is the dog mostly big the front of his chest and not directly on the neck. She leashed him while walking after that.

Keep your dogs on a leash in public unless in a specific fenced in area for dogs. You deserve any horrible outcomes for your hubris. Dude is a vile scumbag on every level for kicking an animal that was in no way endangering him, especially an adorable little pug. But guess what, responsible owners don't allow their pets to be put in situations like that.

/rant

I was getting an oil change and another guy was waiting with his dog (off leash). Started talking about dogs, the rescue work my mom and I do, etc. He talks about how he had another dog that ran away, even though the dog was (best ever, smart, loyal, etc.) So I ask if he is nervous about this dog running away or getting in trouble off-leash, and he is like, "nah, this dog loves me, and listens to anything I say." I just kinda shrugged and stopped talking to him, some pet owners are clueless, and it pisses me off.

A lot of small dog owners do the dumbest shit, they take it all for granted because their dog can't physically harm most people. Which is why a lot of small dogs are obnoxious and do whatever the fuck they want. Small dogs off-leash picking fights with bigger dogs, who are on leash, of course the small dog gets fucked up, then it is the big dogs fault because they are stronger and can severely injure or kill a small dog in seconds. When if the small dog was on leash, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

I don't even want to get super mad at the jogger here, because just how often I see dogs off leash, shitty owners sabotaging their own pets with their stupidity.

Tragic nonetheless.

Dalek

You guys are acting like he stood there and kicked the shit out of the dog. He didn't plan out that he wanted to murder a dog. He probably reacted out of instinct. 100% the dog owners fault. Anyone who says otherwise is biased.

surp.gif

Quixzlizx

Antisocial? Why? Just because I would fight for my dog like most other people would for their family members? Inredasting....

If your family member suddenly charged someone and got a punch to the face for their trouble, then it would be antisocial of you to beat the shit out him, yes.

Not that I would drop kick a pug down a flight of stairs or anything, but if a strange dog without a leash suddenly charged me, I might have some sort of reflexive reaction. It doesn't take Cujo to send someone to the emergency room with a bite.

Zach

I was getting an oil change and another guy was waiting with his dog (off leash). Started talking about dogs, the rescue work my mom and I do, etc. He talks about how he had another dog that ran away, even though the dog was (best ever, smart, loyal, etc.) So I ask if he is nervous about this dog running away or getting in trouble off-leash, and he is like, "nah, this dog loves me, and listens to anything I say." I just kinda shrugged and stopped talking to him, some pet owners are clueless, and it pisses me off.

A lot of small dog owners do the dumbest shit, they take it all for granted because their dog can't physically harm most people. Which is why a lot of small dogs are obnoxious and do whatever the fuck they want. Small dogs off-leash picking fights with bigger dogs, who are on leash, of course the small dog gets fucked up, then it is the big dogs fault because they are stronger and can severely injure or kill a small dog in seconds. When if the small dog was on leash, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

I don't even want to get super mad at the jogger here, because just how often I see dogs off leash, shitty owners sabotaging their own pets with their stupidity.

Tragic nonetheless.

Yeah, pretty much my outlook. And this reminds me of one of my best friends. Had a couple of adopted pitbull mixes. Had a baby. I was like "duuuude, you better be careful" and he was like "nah, my dogs would never do anything harmful to my kid." And they didn't for about five years. But then he woke up to them fighting in his son's bed -- he ran in to break it up and one latched on to his arm. He said he was punching it in the head repeatedly until it finally released. So that dog was put down and he got some crazy infection because he had just started a new job and didn't want to miss work to go to the doc (he's dumb, but went out-of-state the next day, if that's any excuse).

So yeah, I'm just saying people trust their animals a bit too much, specifically when it comes to small children.

Oh, but back on topic, I can't help but to blame the owner. Put your dog on a leash before you go outside if you care about it. There is no excuse. Not everyone is enamored with your animal. Be considerate.

And I love animals -- specifically dogs!

Owner is 100% at fault. Ask anybody who works with animals and they will tell you.

I work with animals (and I own a dog) - Dogs should be kept on a leash, yes, so it's at least partially the blame of the owner. That doesn't give a person the right to kill him, specially if it's unreasonable to assume the animal presents a real threat (it's a damn pug). However we don't really know exactly what happened so I can't really blame the jogger.

I dont have my one dog on a leash (boxer/rottie) but I go to off leash parks. My other dog is aggresive so he goes on leash (chihuahua). If he got off his leash I would almost expect someone to punt him. He is satan. Its my job to make sure that doesnt happen. If someone punted my other dog they better be able to run pretty damn fast.

If you are in an area that dogs are on leash its your job to keep it on leash. Some people are scared of dogs, even little ones.

IMO the guy is an asshole for kicking a pug. A fucking pug. You could pick one of them up like a soiled baby if it was trying to eat you.

I wasnt there so I dont know how it went down but its a shitty situation that could have been avoided if the person had kept their dog on the leash and the jogger wasn't a prick.

RIP little guy.

Seventy70

I work with animals (and I own a dog) - Dogs should be kept on a leash, yes, so it's at least partially the blame of the owner. That doesn't give a person the right to kill him, specially if it's unreasonable to assume the animal presents a real threat (it's a damn pug). However we don't really know exactly what happened so I can't really blame the jogger.

Why do people have a hard time getting it through their heads that not everyone is familiar with every breed of dog? If someone turns and sees something running at it's feet, they are going to react. This person did not see this dog running a block away and think, "You know what? I'm going to kick the shit out of this dog and kill it."

What if the dog ran out into the street and a car hit it? Would that be the driver's fault?

Why do people have a hard time getting it through their heads that not everyone is familiar with every breed of dog? If someone turns and sees something running at it's feet, they are going to react. This person did not see this dog running a block away and think, "You know what? I'm going to kick the shit out of this dog and kill it."

I didn't put the blame on the jogger, and even if you don't specifically identify it as a pug you can see it's puny dog. Some tiny dogs will bite (and it hurts) when in a closed space, or if you manipulate them, but on an open space like that the pug poses little to no threat. Still the dog should've been on a leash (that's the fact we're 100% sure of), and maybe the guy got startled, gave it a little shove but kicked harder than expected, and some other factor came into play (maybe it tripped and landed badly or had a health problem)

(I've interacted with over 30 000 dogs, so maybe my perspective is eschewed)

Seventy70

I didn't put the blame on the jogger, and even if you don't specifically identify it as a pug you can see it's puny dog. Some tiny dogs will bite (and it hurts) when in a closed space, or if you manipulate them, but on an open space like that the pug poses little to no threat. Still the dog should've been on a leash (that's the fact we're 100% sure of), and maybe the guy got startled, gave it a little shove but kicked harder than expected, and some other factor came into play (maybe it tripped and landed badly or had a health problem)

Exactly. Some people have phobias of dogs and they would react irrationally if they turned a corner and saw one (no matter how small) running towards them. What irritates me is how some people think that everyone is a dog lover and loves their pet as much as they do. Put the animal on a fucking leash. End of story.

I have a phobia of spiders. If I was at someone's house and their pet tarantula started crawling on my arm, I would swat the shit out of it. I don't care how small or harmless it is. It's a pet owner's responsibility to take that precaution before hand.

Booshka

A Pug is a living, breathing (or at least trying to) Health problem. It's not a hardy breed, and this sort of quick trauma, even if it wasn't that hard, I could see that easily killing this dog. Lot of bigger, and healthier dogs can take all sorts of punishment and walk it off. Seen plenty of dogs do dumb shit, or get clipped by a car, and somehow they make it out of it ok. Then there are other Breeds that look and sound like they are on the verge of dying at all times, Pugs are one of those.

Unicorn

Why would you kick a pug among ANY fucking dog breed? I don't think there's a more harmless looking breed in this world. Fucking piece of shit. Any excuse of "it looked agressive" can fuck right off.
The dehumanizing wheezing/panting. Shit the wall-eyed depth perception-less creature probably didn't realize how close he was to the jogger.

Murder wasn't planned. Everybody tell the judges.

"I killed my wife but I was only gonna pretend to kill her as a joke. Whoops."

Terrible story. I always leash my dog. She is a German Shepherd, so I doubt many people are lining up to kick her anyway.

Doesn't matter what dog it is, dog owners need to understand that people outside don't know your dog. They don't know how it behaves hell it might even have rabies for all they are concerned.

If a dog came at me I would defend myself, don't give a damn what the owner thinks.

Seventy70

Again-if you review this thread, no one here has stated that the dogs shouldn't have been on a leash.

So can we agree that some people have a phobia and might act irrationally when confronted unexpectedly? Shouldn't it be the owner's duty to consider that beforehand? If the dog had run into traffic and a car had hit it, would it be the driver's fault?

aerts1js

I hate when dogs run at me when i'm jogging so yeah.. if a dog was running straight at me I'd probably kick it too. Not with the intent to kill it but with an intent for it to back off... If you're a dog owner you have the responsibility to keep your dog on a leash in public.

On the other hand, if he ran up and punted it like a football that's a different story.

Dalek

So can we agree that some people have a phobia and might act irrationally when confronted unexpectedly? Shouldn't it be the owner's duty to consider that beforehand? If the dog had run into traffic and a car had hit it, would it be the driver's fault?

Oh I agree that some people act irrationally-I just don't think that absolves them of any responsibility.

Red Hood

Banned
A man, presumably out for a morning jog, came quickly around the corner of the building running in the opposite direction of the dog owner. One the dogs ran toward the man, he told police, and he kicked the dog to get away from it.

If this is true, I would've done the exact same thing. He wasn't on a leash even if he should be. You don't know the dog's intentions, for all we know he was out of control and he could've ripped the jogger's face apart. If he's telling the truth, there's absolutely nothing you can blame the jogger. Happened to a neighbour of mine when I was little, it kinda scarred me seeing his deformed face right afterwards. I can't stand people saying "he doesn't bite, he just likes to play" when I'm walking the streets, bitch I don't give a fuck, get your dog away from me.

I don't condone kicking animals to death, but put your dog on a leash. I had to do this to a Westie before that went after my kid, while the owner was walking way down the street while their dog ran ahead. It didn't die though.

Unicorn

If this is true, I would've done the exact same thing. He wasn't on a leash even if he should be. You don't know the dog's intentions, for all we know he was out of control and he could've ripped the jogger's face apart. If he's telling the truth, there's absolutely nothing you can blame the jogger. Happened to a neighbour of mine when I was little, it kinda scarred me seeing his deformed face right afterwards. I can't stand people saying "he doesn't bite, he just likes to play" when I'm walking the streets, bitch I don't give a fuck, get your dog away from me.
This is Monty Python levels of ridiculous. A pug gonna leap 5 feet to snatch that paper face off your skull?

Red Hood

Banned
This is Monty Python levels of ridiculous. A pug gonna leap 5 feet to snatch that paper face off your skull?

I don't give a fuck if it's a little pug or a Souls-like dog being. I've seen a small and "cute" Jack Russel tear apart the face of a little boy. Keep your mutt on a leash, ESPECIALLY if it's prohibited to unleash them, otherwise I might feel threatened and I will do what I feel I need to do to protect myself. That included kicking him away from me.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Then why would he call the police to report the incident afterwards? By that logic, he should have just kept on his way.
Because the animal became injured. If he just thought he'd just shoe it away he might not care what she thought about him footing her dog. No one wants you kicking their dog, but a woman is much less likely to become physically aggressive if you do so. Calling the police was mea culpa when he realized how bad what he'd done was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom