• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Kyle try to corral Ian in the podcast was fun to watch. When I first starting watching GT I had a hard time getting a read on Ian. He was the podcast producer so only popped on for a couple minutes with a statement and then was gone. Since EZA where he's able to be an actual guest on podcasts and speak in long form i now get him and it's always an interesting take on things even if I don't always agree with him. Ian likes to say his points via bold statements but then when asked to clarify he then adds in the nuance and you can see where he's coming from.

And Kyle was having to do that a lot on the last podcast. Pretty entertaining overall.

I just think of the KF people taking that one GAF threads advice and checking out this podcast. It probably won't go over well. Heh. Ian's statement was bold and Kyle wanted to not touch the topic all together which is why he didn't do his usual ask Ian to clarify what he said indirectly about Colin and JonTron. But people that have listened to Ian enough could probably figure out what his clarification statements would have been.

Especially since Ian was on an excellent Frametrap last year with Bloodworth that talked about a topic really similar when the Palmer Luckey stuff hit. And there he was more verbose in his take on things.

And of course Blood, Jones and others are friendly with the other KF people.

RiggyRob

The wildlands stream was great with Jones joining Huber. I wonder if when someone's streaming they could just have one of the other allies join voice chat regularly to talk about the game and things. Would make the solo streams more interesting.

If they can't join in person, getting them to talk over Discord or something would be the next best thing.

Although I'm in the minority of preferring group streams over solo streams as a main viewing standard on YouTube and Twitch.

Watching Kyle try to corral Ian in the podcast was fun to watch. When I first starting watching GT I had a hard time getting a read on Ian. He was the podcast producer so only popped on for a couple minutes with a statement and then was gone. Since EZA where he's able to be an actual guest on podcasts and speak in long form i now get him and it's always an interesting take on things even if I don't always agree with him. Ian likes to say his points via bold statements but then when asked to clarify he then adds in the nuance and you can see where he's coming from.

And Kyle was having to do that a lot on the last podcast. Pretty entertaining overall.

I just think of the KF people taking that one GAF threads advice and checking out this podcast. It probably won't go over well. Heh. Ian's statement was bold and Kyle wanted to not touch the topic all together which is why he didn't do his usual ask Ian to clarify what he said indirectly about Colin and JonTron. But people that have listened to Ian enough could probably figure out what his clarification statements would have been.

Especially since Ian was on an excellent Frametrap last year with Bloodworth that talked about a topic really similar when the Palmer Luckey stuff hit. And there he was more verbose in his take on things.

And of course Blood, Jones and others are friendly with the other KF people.

Ian is honestly great on the podcasts. He has the most appropriate form of cynicism to counteract the pervading optimism amongst the crew, so his presence on podcasts is always welcomed.

wiibomb

don't be so melodramatic dude, lol

"I don't give a shit"

sure, whatever you think.

what is the timestamp of the KF portion? i missed it

the very beginning, Ian references it after the correction segment.

sure, I mean, I understand how Ian behaves and that is part of his very own personality, it just sounded a little bit mean when those other guys are in the same biz.

I totally like that they didn't talk about the issue, and I prefer them to not do it since I kind of expect Kyle literally don't wanting to talk about them at all, it was just that they all acted so unnatural to how Ian presented the issue.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ratcheting back on Youtube shows and pushing more 'personality streams' is the exact sort of cop-out answer I was afraid to get.

Streams are an immediate dopamine hit because the chat community is fluffing all the way, but if you're doing them instead of getting down and dirty in Premiere, you're sacking off the work part of the content creator life.

A lot of work went into the GTAV Bigfoot sleuth I'm sure, and then the views didn't feel spectacular. A reason for that is because Youtube content NEEDS to be regular. A season of like 6 Game Sleuths should be produced and then so on. Dropping them at like 4 months apart at random times of the year and then wondering why audience retention aint so great is amateur thinking. Theres a reason Top 10's grew the GT brand and were the most popular thing, same with weekly Bosman show. They slotted in easily to peoples lives. Just as Best Of Easy Allies clip reels do, FANCY THAT, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST CAN IT GET ANY CLEARER.

Hearing the Anniversary show is taking up so much time as well is also ridiculous as its not going to grow the company one iota. It'll be fun to see whatever concert thing this is, but its a little too back-patty when the Patreon keeps rolling under 39k over and over and stalling.

Business Monster required to go at these lads with a rake.

Ultimadrago

Ian is honestly great on the podcasts. He has the most appropriate form of cynicism to counteract the pervading optimism amongst the crew, so his presence on podcasts is always welcomed.

I have to agree. I certainly, certainly don't agree with him on a number of things (Uncharted, The Witcher, Narrative-focused games in general, etc.), but his general disposition almost never feels like it's just adding to the pile. Unless it's Souls-related in which case he's interestingly, to a point of caricature, self-aware of.

Something just occurred to me....

One year later and there is STILL no "Must Be Nice" shirt for sale

How dare you miss this highly profitable opportunity for business making! Shame!

I have to agree. I certainly, certainly don't agree with him on a lot of things, but his general disposition almost never feels like it's just adding to the pile (unless its Souls-related to which he's interestingly, to a point of caricature, self-aware of).

It's really strange for me personally. I think Ian as a gaming personality is probably at the top, or near the top in terms of just disagreement on games, game design and so on with regards to my tastes vs. his (except the Souls series). But he's one of my favorite Allies and I love having him on the podcast, FT and so on.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think the thing you gotta appreciate the most about Ian while he has his strong opinions/likes/dislikes on games/movies/etc but he is always open trying to see the other perspective. That's also why I feel like when he throws out the snarky/jokey remark it goes over super well for me.

It's a quality that's less common than you would think.
All too often there are other podcasts where people just get so into their own opinion becoming blind to everything else displaying 0 empathy to a different position and it's honestly uncomfortable to listen to, it's like children throwing a fit.

Yeah I respect Ian a lot, he has somewhat unique taste in games and knows that he'll be in the minority in not liking a lot of things. For some reason I find it really annoying when people state all their opinions as facts, Ian always makes it clear that it's just his opinion and that's good to hear for a change.

wiibomb

I couldn't stop laughing at the youtube comment bet, and now I just saw the first comment of the video and it is more amazing now.

I think the thing you gotta appreciate the most about Ian while he has his strong opinions/likes/dislikes on games/movies/etc but he is always open trying to see the other perspective. That's also why I feel like when he throws out the snarky/jokey remark it goes over super well for me.

It's a quality that's less common than you would think.
All too often there are other podcasts where people just get so into their own opinion becoming blind to everything else displaying 0 empathy to a different position and it's honestly uncomfortable to listen to, it's like children throwing a fit.

THIS, THIS so much!!

Ian is actually very open, certainly completely more open compared to most people throwing harsh statements, he actually listens to others, sometimes it even changes his mind.

my goodness Ian is amazing...

I know the content creator lines are drawn in the sand so I'll tread lightly

But the "cynicism" of Giant Bomb that's a huge part of their humor is similar to what Ian brings to the table a lot of the time. It serves as a nice balance to the group dynamic, especially when its beloved games that the rest of the panel enjoy

Similarly to Jeff Gerstmann, when a new game comes out and Ian is actually positive/excited about it it generally means it's something to pay attention to

By no means is it a 1 to 1 comparison but yeah.

Mista Koo

Yes Ian is awesome.
. . he'd be even awesomer if he cancelled Easy Update and replaced it with an actual show :3

Watched the tournament stream. I admit it was more enjoyable than I expected. The music in particular is great.
Also yes for Huber's haircut stream :p

I know the content creator lines are drawn in the sand so I'll tread lightly

But the "cynicism" of Giant Bomb that's a huge part of their humor is similar to what Ian brings to the table a lot of the time. It serves as a nice balance to the group dynamic, especially when its beloved games that the rest of the panel enjoy

Similarly to Jeff Gerstmann, when a new game comes out and Ian is actually positive/excited about it it generally means it's something to pay attention to

By no means is it a 1 to 1 comparison but yeah.
Agreed. That's part of the reason I like him. I think I'd compare him to Alex more personality wise.
Also Kyle does it too but tries hard to avoid it.

Although I'm in the minority of preferring group streams over solo streams as a main viewing standard on YouTube and Twitch.
I don't think that's the minority.

Nah, I think he's at his most interesting when he incorporates game discussion. Easy Update is a free-for-all and that's why it's so hit and miss to me. Nevertheless, Ian is great as a producer and editor and I wish he was full-time to help with the editing and such.

Auctopus

I'm glad someone mentioned the excellent (probably the best) Frame Trap from last year with Brandon, Blood and Ian discussing the Palmer Luckey situation. Each one of them have measured, insightful and personal responses to the claims without going overboard in to personal attacks or anything. It was really enjoyable.

I can only echo these compliments being given to Ian but I really wish he didn't need to be probed to further explain himself. Sometimes, most notably during GOTY or HOTG discussions, I find Ian a little too flippant with his opinion. It does irk me when the group is discussing a game he has little to no interest in and makes a remark like "Ugh" or "Nobody cares, let's move on!".

Unless the game has some sort of malicious or hateful sentiment around it (e.g. That top down massacre shooter thing from last year or the year before), it's usually worth discussing. I know Ian is very dexterous with his words so I just wish sometimes he'd explain more about his opinions about games rather than just expressing his surface level emotional reaction. Because he has a unique or limited interest in many AAA titles, I feel he's doing us and himself a disservice by not taking part in discussions. Even if it's a silly reason he doesn't like the game, I'd always like to know why because when he is probed to explain himself further, that's usually when you get a thoughtful opinion or perspective from him that makes me like him so much.

L&R

Okay sure, one thing from me then.

My only "concern" is the audio quality of the podcast/Frame Trap/ TTE. Even back at GT, I always hoped the audio quality would improve. Some/most people are probably fine with the way it is now, which leads me to believe I'm a bit of an audio snob, but I just think it can be so much better (see Giant Bomb). And look I get it, the resources probably just aren't there. But then again, the microphones seem to be pretty nice quality. Like on GT Time, would having someone on a soundboard and having the guests and host wear headphones raise audio quality awareness? I also realize the vaulted ceiling of Jones' garage is not the best recording environment.

Can everyone cram in the soundbooth?

And to be clear, I L&R the crap out of EZA and the community. Just taking advantage of the current conversation on this thread I guess.

edit: I am very aware of how fortunate I am that my main "concern" in life right now is something as trivial as the audio quality of a podcast.

Servbot24

Banned
"I don't give a shit"

sure, whatever you think.

...said Ian, while laughing

Not everyone has to care about stupid gamer dramas, or treat them like they're big important to-dos. Don't just assume that they're trying to be hostile, that is obviously the opposite of what EZA is about

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with what Ian said. He's basically saying that the KF situation is not "news" in relation to what they usually talk about on the show. If you're not a KF fan there's really no reason to give a shit about Colin leaving.

He doesn't personally know the KF guys, he doesn't watch their content, so what would he or anyone else really have to say that hasn't been said a million times already? Jones knows KF more so he's the only one I could see having insightful comments on the situation. Colin's departure is kind of a personal thing between him and his company so there's not much to say about it.

wiibomb

it just seemed a little bit hostile to me, specially considering there has been in the past some rough edges...

I guess I don't have to look at it so seriously

it just seemed a little bit hostile to me, specially considering there has been in the past some rough edges...

I guess I don't have to look at it so seriously

I can see how saying "I don't give a shit" would come off as hostile, if you were to write an article and pull out Ian's quote like

When asked about Colin's departure, EZA's Ian Hinck responded by saying "I don't give a shit".

then that would be bad but I just feel like in the context of the podcast it comes off differently.

He was laughing and brushing it off because Kyle was brushing it off and saying they weren't gonna talk about it

It's all about the bits

If he wanted to be hostile, maybe he should have wrote it in tweet form:
I don't give a shit #ADayWithoutColin

Philippo

I really wish someone someday will make EZA stickers for Telegram, i have a group with two other allies and we basically talk about them everyday.

lord

Ian was righteous this week. also, is it me or the new camera much darker than before? I don't remember it looking like that, I also noticed that the sofa setup makes them look like the view.

Hasney

I heard some of the soundtrack of Nier. I'm going to have to beat it before Persona. It seems too good.

Playing the ME trial and hooboy. All the dumb animation is well known. Combat is repetitive, but it's Mass Effect, it's not what people go there for. But my god, the interface design and especially quest tracking is intolerable.

I'll pick it up cheap at some point. I keep going from enjoying the characters and then laughing at the jank. I could enjoy this over some beers.

I heard some of the soundtrack of Nier. I'm going to have to beat it before Persona. It seems too good.

Playing the ME trial and hooboy. All the dumb animation is well known. Combat is repetitive, but it's Mass Effect, it's not what people go there for. But my god, the interface design and especially quest tracking is intolerable.

I'll pick it up cheap at some point. I keep going from enjoying the characters and then laughing at the jank. I could enjoy this over some beers.

The Nier soundtrack is legitimately one of the best in recent years. The way it's integrated into the game is fantastic too.

New section added to the bottom of the website schedule for projects in production that aren't tied to a specific release date. Most of these will be near future as I don't something long-term to sit on the page for too long, and there will of course be surprises like the month of Don.

Hasney

New section added to the bottom of the website schedule for projects in production that aren't tied to a specific release date. Most of these will be near future as I don't something long-term to sit on the page for too long, and there will of course be surprises like the month of Don.

Awesome stuff Blood, really good idea to see at a glance what's upcoming.

wiibomb

new section is "Also in the Works:"?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Nier Automata is something else, holy shit

I'm still on "Path A" so I can't even imagine what later bits must do

Do all the sidequests too they give so much context to the whole world and if you look at all of them as a whole they really build kind of facets of mirror stories that are happening in the game. Read all entries too.

It's really amazing what an interesting and layered game it is.

I like it!

Do all the sidequests too they give so much context to the whole world and if you look at all of them as a whole they really build kind of facets of mirror stories that are happening in the game. Read all entries too.

It's really amazing what an interesting and layered game it is.

I have done 90% of the sidequests at this point and vast majority of them are sadly clearly bad busywork with very little to no payoff.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I have done 90% of the sidequests at this point and vast majority of them are sadly clearly bad busywork with very little to no payoff.

I mean If you feel that way it can't be helped but I think for people investing themselves stuff like the wandering couple, Yorha betrayers or Amnesia are super interesting mirror examples. Then we have quests like Jean Paul's melancholy, Treasure Hunt at the Castle giving certain areas/bosses more context. Then character specific quests that tie in callbacks from other games like the Twins Request questline and a certain guy's memories or just give more backstory like with the Anemone and Operator quests.

And then a ton of quest that focus on very specific aspects of the human existence and all trying to make statement with it and while I wouldn't call the message or themes original in any form(cause let's be honest what is nowadays) the way it's tied into the design, the story and how it is expressed I found it very thought provoking and interesting.

So basically for me the payoff was very much there and I didn't even dig a 100% definitely missed a tooooon of stuff myself.

N° 2048

Whoa, you should join us in the Spoiler thread because a lot of side quests tie into the main story and foreshadow a lot.

It's pretty mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom