• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

I don't want to see the day when EZA goes after mass appeal. And to be fair, this is a game trailer that has been recognized even outside of gaming circles. It has more mainstream news outlet reporting than any E3 trailer for example. I'd say that's some form of mass appeal. And trailers (or even games) like these aren't dime in a dozen, can't pass up the opportunity to talk about it.

Uhh, hate to break it to you but EZA are mass appeal. Just because they're not the most popular Youtube or Twitch doesn't mean they don't appeal to the masses.

Also, Trailer Score started doing the latest movie trailers towards the end of GT (which felt like an effort to bring a little more traffic to the site) so I expect that sort of thing to start happening again. They'll always talk about the trailers they're most interested in.

Karu

Uhh, hate to break it to you but EZA are mass appeal. Just because they're not the most popular Youtube or Twitch doesn't mean they don't appeal to the masses.

Also, Trailer Score started doing the latest movie trailers towards the end of GT (which felt like an effort to bring a little more traffic to the site) so I expect that sort of thing to start happening again. They'll always talk about the trailers they're most interested in.
While that all may be true, his/her points very much stands in my opinion. If Brandon deems the Everything trailer worthy of scoring, but someone tells him... how about the new Call of Duty trailer, because ratings! I hope he goes with his gut and not what marketing would tell him.

Edit: This is also more in the direction of Mikey's comment, I guess.
I was about to discard my post, but there you have it:

@uomoartificiale
Their discussion of the trailer was interesting but I always find funny when people are struck by the word "philosopher" as if it meant "very intelligent person I cannot disagree with", or "a person talking about things I cannot understand". I am a certified philosopher (a professional if you will) and I think that:

- being in disagreement is the key philosophy and theoretical analysis in general

- I have a very superficial knowledge of proper Watts' philosophical research but I would say that he was mostly a "philosopher" in the sense that he was certainly a thinker and his work of popularization of eastern philosophy was very influential. But he was maybe more interested in motivational speeches than pure philosophical research.

- the excerpts they used in the trailer reads like nice poetry, but there's barely any philosophy in it (and Brandon pointed that out, this is no doctrine just an excercise...).

Honestly, I thought it was mainly a motivational speech with some gibberish thrown in for good measure. Now I don't want to play the game, so the trailer did a bad job for me.
It also reminded me that philosophy in games always gets represented as the thing that makes villains go mad or it's relegated to sound like unimpressive mumbo-jumbo (and here we got high level mumbo-jumbo).
Thanks, very interesting. Trailer Jones obviously doesn't have space for feedback, but to acknowledge such comments that go beyond "I also didn't/did like the trailer" would still be worthwhile in my opinion.

The most qualified person (Ben) is most likely too busy.

Ben's on holiday too. I was thinking more along the lines of Huber but I'd be fine with any of the other (available) Allies temp hosting it.

And sorry, I forgot to answer your previous post:

Because I was a child during the golden age of JRPGs and playing a text-heavy game not in my native language sounded like a chore. Also I watched a ton of them during the PS1 era, mostly Final Fantasies, and they looked so boring.

As for Persona 5, the main reason I want to play it is because of its visual style. It's that good that I want to play the game because of it.
And I'm spoiled about the whodunnit in 4, should that stop me from playing it in the future if I like 5?

To the first part: You monster. Sure some of the translations were bad but man, that still didn't stop Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy VII, Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2 from being some of my favourite games of all time.

To the second: I think you'd be fine. Persona 4 is so much more than the whodunnit.

Auctopus

While that all may be true, his/her points very much stands in my opinion. If Brandon deems the Everything trailer worthy of scoring, but someone tells him... how about the new Call of Duty trailer, because of ratings! I hope he goes with his gut and not what marketing would tell him.

Well yeah, that was my point at the end. They'll do what they want. Reviewing a popular trailer compared to reviewing a popular trailer over a trailer you're interested in because ratings are two different things - yeah, the latter, that's bad.

Frametrap was great. Lots of funny bits near the end (e.g. "Kyle... No", first person SotN).

I think Brad hit on the reasoning for the lack of autosaves the best, especially in a game like Persona 5. When many gamers would be playing the series for the first time, it's easy to imagine a scenario where you could get auto-save locked into a frustrating or outright unwinnable situation unless the game just provided you with a plethora of autosave slots (both within the dungeon, then an autosave for the various days leading up to the dungeon etc).

So in that sort of situation, not having autosaves allows the dev to off load the responsibility of getting stuck to the player rather then the game itself.

With all that said, Persona 5 still doesn't do a good job of explaining to the player the importance of saving and the first dungeons timeline, so I think that excarbates the lack of autosaving issue quite a bit.

Budi

Umm, sure in a sense that they cover video games, lean bit more on console side and they aren't focused in just a certain niche of games. But still their focus on coverage isn't on the biggest mainstream games. Also they have expanded even outside of just video gaming a bit, so they might appeal to wider demographic than just gamers. Ofcourse their anime and movie coverage is just a side dish.

But what I exactly ment when I said I don't want to see them go after mass appeal, is to make decisions based on what would get best amount of clicks. Choosing trailers to rate for popular games specifically would be just that. They do what they are passionate about and want to do, appealing to the masses doesn't really come into consideration that much. Like focusing on shorter content, since it's well documented that 2-3 hour videos aren't really the most popular ones in Youtube. Excluding racing, they barely cover sports games at all, those are often the epitome of mass appeal. Nor do they create thumbnails and video titles with clickbait in mind just like they don't with the actual content they produce. And this freedom is something they have mentioned loving several times.

For the movie trailers at GT, true and I remember Jones saying they will cover some movie trailers in EZA too. But honestly at GT I wouldn't be surprised if the motivation came more from Defy to go after clicks.

Edit:
Well yeah, that was my point at the end. They'll do what they want. Reviewing a popular trailer compared to reviewing a popular trailer over a trailer you're interested in because ratings are two different things - yeah, the latter, that's bad.
Seems like we are mostly at the same page after all. I guess it would had been more accurate for me to say I don't want to see them ever going after clicks.

Mista Koo

Honestly, I thought it was mainly a motivational speech with some gibberish thrown in for good measure. Now I don't want to play the game, so the trailer did a bad job for me.
It also reminded me that philosophy in games always gets represented as the thing that makes villains go mad or it's relegated to sound like unimpressive mumbo-jumbo (and here we got high level mumbo-jumbo).
Personally if I'd ever play the game I'd just turn the narration off. I like the idea of everything else and I think it stands out on its own. If I had kids I'd definitely get the game for them as an explatory educational experience.

To the first part: You monster. Sure some of the translations were bad but man, that still didn't stop Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy VII, Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2 from being some of my favourite games of all time.
I think you misunderstood me. English is not my native language so as a kid I wasn't comfortably able to play text-heavy games. I know people around my age who played them alongside a dictionary but that idea never appealed to me.

Bahorel

Watching Huber Syndrome makes me realize not only have I not played Mario Galaxy 2 but I don't even think I've seen what it looks like. I didn't even finish Galaxy. I feel I've missed out

Watching Huber Syndrome makes me realize not only have I not played Mario Galaxy 2 but I don't even think I've seen what it looks like. I didn't even finish Galaxy. I feel I've missed out
It's really good but I'm one of those people like Kyle that prefers Galaxy 1 over it.

Yoshi has never really done much for me.

I wonder if we get a mini conference reactions for D23 tomorrow from Brad or Damiani (tho I dunno how much he cares about Star Wars/Spider-Man.

edit: nevermind seems they both are doing it.

ito007

It's really good but I'm one of those people like Kyle that prefers Galaxy 1 over it.

Yoshi has never really done much for me.
Agreed, and I love yoshi in other games. The hub world makes a genuine difference for me. I always disliked the whole "follow this path to the next level" style that some of the 3d games have adopted. I understand the argument that hub worlds also intentionally limit your options in the next level, but still, pushing Mario along an arbitrary line in space just feels soulless to me.

Listening to the podcast right now. Calling it now: Xbox X being "vr ready" is the new "power of the cloud", we'll hear it as bullet point for the next two E3 but it will go nowhere and it will mean nothing.

muteki

Agreed, and I love yoshi in other games. The hub world makes a genuine difference for me. I always disliked the whole "follow this path to the next level" style that some of the 3d games have adopted. I understand the argument that hub worlds also intentionally limit your options in the next level, but still, pushing Mario along an arbitrary line in space just feels soulless to me.

Yeah, this keeps me from really liking Galaxy 2. That and the comets.

Axass

Galaxy 1 is a more cohesive game. Galaxy 2 is more fragmented, a case of "let's throw in all the weird stuff that didn't make it in the first game plus some that already did".

I prefer the first. Still, both are masterpieces.

Piers

Watched a bit of the stream of Jones making Disney Castle.
I understand why he had to put his foot down but damn, when he said "Look, I can't keep stopping and starting for you Amanda. You're either in the stream or you're not." o_____o;

But I like her precense, always cute and full of energy. Particularly liked her pretending to assassinate Jones.

dickroach

I understand why he had to put his foot down but damn, when he said "Look, I can't keep stopping and starting for you Amanda. You're either in the stream or you're not." o_____o;
what?
did you just skip around the stream or actually watch the first 10 or so minutes?
I can't imagine how anyone could not get that bit

LycanXIII

But I like her precense, always cute and full of energy. Particularly liked her pretending to assassinate Jones.

That was all a bit...

jett

D-Member

latest

I have to assume you were being sarcastic. :p

Cool to see Jones addicted to Dungeon Defenders 2 like me right now. I haven't paid for anything yet either, although I want to to support the developer. Don't really like any of their paid options right now though.

Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game, period. Improved on an already outstanding Galaxy 1 and is just pure fun. Would love an HD remaster of those two games, or for it to be offered on Virtual Console if that ever is a thing.

ZeoVGM

Banned

This post is worrying in that you misunderstood that moment and that it comes off as a bit sexist.

Galaxy 1 is a more cohesive game. Galaxy 2 is more fragmented, a case of "let's throw in all the weird stuff that didn't make it in the first game plus some that already did".

Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game, period. Improved on an already outstanding Galaxy 1 and is just pure fun. Would love an HD remaster of those two games, or for it to be offered on Virtual Console if that ever is a thing.
I think Galaxy 1 is better, but in a marginal way that doesn't matter that much when both games are as good as they are. I don't think there are any videogames, full stop, that are clearly superior to those games. Surely not any other Mario games...

I do think that Galaxy 2 is a better "Mario game" than 1, in the sense that BOTW might not be considered a great "Zelda game", even though it is (IMO obvs) by far the best videogame to wear the Zelda title. 2 is the safer game.

El-Suave

Rime review
https://youtu.be/jKgnXvzwekU
Really good review by Damiani, triggered guilt inside me though because I haven't played the game yet despite buying it at launch. The disc hasn't even made it into my PS4 yet. Crazy how both MS and Sony pulled support and they still got a beautiful game out in the end. Certainly a game development story worth diving into. Maybe something for Noclip.

I think you misunderstood me. English is not my native language so as a kid I wasn't comfortably able to play text-heavy games. I know people around my age who played them alongside a dictionary but that idea never appealed to me.

Oh okay, now I can understand why you avoided them. I thought you were American. Still, I think you can do a lot better than FFXV if you really haven't played any JRPGs before. FFXII: The Zodiac Age just came out and I'd recommend it over XV any day of the week.

Broank

My feelings exactly. The hub world, the music, the spacey-ness and the initial wow factor advantage made me prefer 1.

Everything Kyle said about FFXV is why I want to play it (the roadtrip, having to sleep, Prompto's pics). I hesitate though since I don't really play JRPGs (that don't have Mario or Pikachu in them). Same goes for Persona 5.

I just about spit my water when Kyle said it was maybe his favorite RPG ever....

I didn't really feel the road trip vibe because as soon as I got the Chocobo I rode them 95% of the time because it was 100 times funner than the dull gamey ass auto travel car and gave a way better feeling of exploration and attachment to the world. Actually that was easily the highlight of the game, riding around the landscapes on the Chocobo was a blast. The rest of it, the characters, the combat, the systems, the progression, the story, the dialogue, the pacing, the villain, the ending, were all a mess. It was really weird at throwing moments at you asking you to care about this stuff without establishing anything at all.

Budi

Very happy about that Rime review, thanks Damiani. Such a treat to listen and watch. And glad that you liked it so much! The game needs and deserves the coverage and love.

Liamc723

Rime review
https://youtu.be/jKgnXvzwekU
Really good review by Damiani, triggered guilt inside me though because I haven't played the game yet despite buying it at launch. The disc hasn't even made it into my PS4 yet. Crazy how both MS and Sony pulled support and they still got a beautiful game out in the end. Certainly a game development story worth diving into. Maybe something for Noclip.

Rime came out two months ago.

Why are they continuing to waste time reviewing games that simply don't matter anymore? If you're not putting your review out in the first week of its release, it's not worth it.

Hasney

Why are they continuing to waste time reviewing games that simply don't matter anymore? If you're not putting your review out in the first week of its release, it's not worth it.

Bloodworth has disagreed with that multiple times with the stats he sees on YouTube.

Budi

Why wouldn't it matter, not everyone buys games at day one. Also in the case of Rime, Switch version isn't out yet. People wanting to pick it up on Switch will be looking for reviews too.
Bloodworth has disagreed with that multiple times with the stats he sees on YouTube.
Yes he has, example below.
From what I've seen both here and at GT is that yes, hitting that first moment of embargo will make a big difference. However, the late reviews still don't do that bad in the overall scheme of things. They do just as well or better than many episodes of our shows. There's definitely an audience out there that will watch a review whenever it's made, and quite a few who will watch any review we put out even if they're not interested in the game.

hank_tree

I didn't really feel the road trip vibe because as soon as I got the Chocobo I rode them 95% of the time because it was 100 times funner than the dull gamey ass auto travel car and gave a way better feeling of exploration and attachment to the world.

The "roadtrip" doesn't stop once you get out of the car. Hanging out with your bros on Chocobos and exploring is still part of that.

Bahorel

I was on the fence about Rime and it just convinced me that I need it so it worked for me? And what Budi said, it's still got its Nintendo release coming up

I don't know if I'll do PS4 or switch tho. I would like to wait and see if switch has any porting problems

Also Jones has mentioned multiple times he likes to have a library of reviews for the people that don't go out and buy games day one, which is a category I certainly fall into and many others do too. When I first found Gametrailers I was two years late to the Wii and watched all of their Wii reviews to find out what I wanted to buy

MrMette

You understand that a lot of people don't play games on day one right? A lot of people are buying games in sales.
I don't see a problem with them publishing reviews after the game came out. People are searching for reviews of older games all the time. Also I like to hear what EZA thinks about the game.

I was going to get Rime day one from when it was first announced, but after Sony dropping them and because it take so long before the game came out, I was afraid it would be a mediocre game. So I didn't pre-order it (with 10% or 20% off on PSN). Now I am waiting until they have a sale (I am sure it is worth full price, but I am not going to pay more then what I should have payed for it in pre-order). But it looks fantastic (like I hoped it would, I just didn't want to be burned by it).

N° 2048

What? lol

I haven't played or seen anything Rime but when I do, I want it to be EZA's review.

EZA is definitely not mass appeal. That's the whole point they do what they want and cater to their niche audience. Look at the streams they've done in the past month. They're not streaming new AAA games. They're not streaming OW or PUBG or League. They don't have any real hype for the D2 beta. That stuff is mass appeal. Building Gundams, streaming old games, JRPGs Tetris every week etc. That content is very obviously not mass appeal.

And there's nothing wrong with that they've settled on what they want to be and it's clearly working for them.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Their review literally made me want to go buy the game this weekend.

I disagree with you. Other fans disagree with you. EZA themselves disagree with you. The Rime review didn't take the place of another review or anything else. So what's the point in complaining?

It isn't "wasting time." More content is better than less content. Always.

Bahorel

EZA is definitely not mass appeal. That's the whole point they do what they want and cater to their niche audience. Look at the streams they've done in the past month. They're not streaming new AAA games. They're not streaming OW or PUBG or League. They don't have any real hype for the D2 beta. That stuff is mass appeal. Building Gundams, streaming old games, JRPGs Tetris every week etc. That content is very obviously not mass appeal.

And there's nothing wrong with that they've settled on what they want to be and it's clearly working for them.

Just want to mention though that Ian has mentioned wanting to stream PUBG and I want it so bad

I want him to make a squad with Huber and Brad and Kyle (or Don) and do a long form Easy Updare where is it Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom