• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ebay Germany actively promotes "drm-less" Wii U

Meelow

Banned
The Wii U is barely more powerful than a PS360. I'm sure people will get games on it that look ever so incrementally better than what came on those platforms, but it's not the leap people have traditionally expected from consoles. It's Nintendo coming up to the standards of last-gen, when people want the standards of next-gen for their technology.

I mean Wii U may end up being my only console by default, but that'd definitely be an unsatisfactory result - the console is simply too shitty, tech-wise.

Shouldn't we say this after Nintendo shows off their big games to see what the Wii U can really do?

And in my opinion, PS4 and some Xbox One games looked great, but they didn't really look significantly better than current gen, obviously that could change later on in the generation, but Wii U getting better looking games and even a big noticeable jump in the generation is possible too.

- no games

isz6UXo0CmTJl.gif

stone-cold-laughing.gif

Yet......

That's fine if you think that, and if Wii U is good 'enough' for you. I was just saying that it's not near good enough for many, many gamers, and so it's not enough to say Wii U is drm-less... it obviously has other significant problems. So if you don't want this Drm bullshit, and both Sony and Microsoft adopt it, then you have to settle for last-gen technology for a whole 'nother six years. It's not ideal conditions.

Your assumption is based on the vocal minority on the internet. Just because it seems like its the most "important" thing because of how vocal people are on the internet doesn't mean that its true. The amount of gamers who actually care about the "Best graphics" are probably 10-20% of the people who actually buy the consoles.

On the internet it sounds like thats all people care about, thats the core community, which when it comes to install base is far outnumbered by the number of casuals/part-time gamers. Outside of that though people just want something they will enjoy and have fun with, or Call of Duty.

Kimawolf

Well I never know what Next Gen games some people look at, but the games they've shown don't look AT ALL like a huge jump from any generation to the next. they all look like modest improvements possibly.

And Nintendo should promote it, why not. People don't like creepy ass cameras waiting on their beckoned call.

So if my choices are, Nintendo games that look like slight jumps over previous generations, but not crazy DRM/USED game nonsense with creepy cameras watching you.

Or slightly modest increase in graphics but ridiculous DRM/creepy cameras, i'll take the Nintendo and PC option for 100. thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
Shouldn't we say this after Nintendo shows off their big games to see what the Wii U can really do?

No? We already know the tech of Wii U, more or less. And we already know what systems in that range of power are capable of, more or less. I'm sure developers will be able to do special things that make one think "wow, they are really pushing this thing", just like Sony devs were able to do with PS3, but there's no possible game Nintendo is going to show that is going to come close to matching the sort of jump people frequently desire when they buy new platforms. Since it's impossible. People spent 5, 6, 7 and 8 years playing PC and PS360 with visuals around this level, so it's no surprise some people want to move on.

And in my opinion, PS4 and some Xbox One games looked great, but they didn't really look significantly better than current gen, obviously that could change later on in the generation, but Wii U getting better looking games and even a big noticeable jump in the generation is possible too.

Well I respect your opinion. But some of the shit shown was a colossal jump, so I obviously disagree.

ArcaneFreeze said:
Your assumption is based on the vocal minority on the internet. Just because it seems like its the most "important" thing because of how vocal people are on the internet doesn't mean that its true. The amount of gamers who actually care about the "Best graphics" are probably 10-20% of the people who actually buy the consoles.

My quote is not an assumption. It is a fact that the type of jump Wii U represents is not good enough for "many, many gamers." I never made one claim or another over when they were minorities or majorites because that is entirely irrelevant to my point.

What IS an actual assumption is you say that the people who care about visuals is "probably 10-20%", since you literally just pulled that percentage out of your imagination and have no basis for the claim.

gogogow

- weak
- stagnant third party
- great first party* (*if you want to wait two years)

I'd rather have a DRM infested box with games than a Wii U.

He was referring to the 3ds taking off after 2 years of "no games"

3DS? Started to take off end of 2011. 3DS was released in Feb/March 2011 (JP/US&EU), SM3DLand, MK7 (and MH3G for JP) were released in Nov/Dec 2012 (JP/US&EU). Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, NSMB2, Style Savvy, Professor Layton and Paper Mario all came in 2012.

Nintendo sure are slow with the Wii U, since they had the 3DS as an bad example of how not to release games. But it's still getting games faster than his little brother. Pikmin, 3D Mario, TW101, Mario Kart are coming this year.

Kimawolf

No? We already know the tech of Wii U, more or less. And we already know what systems in that range of power are capable of, more or less. I'm sure developers will be able to do special things that make one think "wow, they are really pushing this thing", just like Sony devs were able to do with PS3, but there's no possible game Nintendo is going to show that is going to come close to matching the sort of jump people frequently desire when they buy new platforms. Since it's impossible. People spent 5, 6, 7 and 8 years playing PC and PS360 with visuals around this level, so it's no surprise some people want to move on.

Well I respect your opinion. But some of the shit shown was a colossal jump, so I obviously disagree.

My quote is not an assumption. It is a fact that the type of jump Wii U represents is not good enough for "many, many gamers." I never made one claim or another over when they were minorities or majorites because that is entirely irrelevant to my point.

What IS an actual assumption is you say that the people who care about visuals is "probably 10-20%", since you literally just pulled that percentage out of your imagination and have no basis for the claim.

What is the colossal jump game? A real game that's an actual colossal jump over the best of this generation. Because I've not seen one game that's even close to the same jump from N64 to Gamecube, from ps2 to ps3 definitely. They all look like PC games turned from medium low to medium high settings.

Amir0x

Banned
What is the colossal jump game? A real game that's an actual colossal jump over the best of this generation. Because I've not seen one game that's even close to the same jump from N64 to Gamecube, from ps2 to ps3 definitely. They all look like PC games turned from medium low to medium high settings.

Again, I'm sure you genuinely believe this deep down in your heart. But I've seen people say this same shit even after people deconstruct just how many hundreds of ways Killzone on PS4 is doing shit that no game on PS3 or 360 could. Or how many ways inFAMOUS: Second Son shits all over every single open world game that came out this gen from a great height.

In the end, I can't help other people's vision. I only know what is actually on the screen and how many hundreds of ways the next-gen has already begun to improve what came before visually.

gogogow

I think the biggest differnce is the rendering. If you look at Infamous SS and Infamous 2, the PS4 version has this CG kinda look. Whereas IF2 looks like a "game". But i'm dissapointed how they still "can't" do hair. The main character has a beanie to hide it. Killzone SF has hair that's doable on PS2. Watch Dog guy has a cap etc. etc. Was expecting some Lara Croft hair, but got none.

BY2K

Membero Americo
- weak
- stagnant third party
- great first party* (*if you want to wait two years)

I'd rather have a DRM infested box with games than a Wii U.

Because everybody knows the Wii U will NEVER HAVE games.

Hey, what's this "Smash Bros" everyone keeps talking about?

Hypron

... No. I'm the first one to say that Crysis 3 on max settings looks on par with most next gen games, but this is just bullshit.

Vita:
-BC to Ps1 and PSP
-No region lock
-No DRM
-No always online
-powerful hardware even without a cloud
-actually has a decent library of games
-soon RemotePlay
=>Still ignored.

You're not alone WiiU... you're not alone.

Meelow

Banned
I think the biggest differnce is the rendering. If you look at Infamous SS and Infamous 2, the PS4 version has this CG kinda look. Whereas IF2 looks like a "game". But i'm dissapointed how they still "can't" do hair. The main character has a beanie to hide it. Killzone SF has hair that's doable on PS2. Watch Dog guy has a cap etc. etc. Was expecting some Lara Croft hair, but got none.

I noticed that too, every "next gen" game we've seen either the person has very short hair or is wearing a hat.

Next gen Hair = the new HD Towns?

StevieP

Banned
Again, I'm sure you genuinely believe this deep down in your heart. But I've seen people say this same shit even after people deconstruct just how many hundreds of ways Killzone on PS4 is doing shit that no game on PS3 or 360 could. Or how many ways inFAMOUS: Second Son shits all over every single open world game that came out this gen from a great height.

In the end, I can't help other people's vision. I only know what is actually on the screen and how many hundreds of ways the next-gen has already begun to improve what came before visually.

That the PS360 could do? Sure. But that's not what he said. To be more accurate, the PS360 would be "low" on a gaming PC, and the PS4One would be medium-mediumhigh.

... No. I'm the first one to say that Crysis 3 on max settings looks on par with most next gen games, but this is just bullshit.

The scope of something like Killzone 4 is dictated by budget, artistry, etc, more than it is hardware grunt. You surely can't accomplish it on a PS360 to the same degree, but it's not the same kind of jump as any previous generation. High end PC already "shits on" what the new consoles will be doing from a technical perspective.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Vita:
-BC to Ps1 and PSP
-No region lock
-No DRM
-No always online
-powerful hardware even without a cloud
-actually has a decent library of games
-soon RemotePlay
=>Still ignored.

You're not alone WiiU... you're not alone.

You have to compare it to it's direct competitors, 3DS does better direct BC though library more than one gen isn't as available, it is region locked, has no DRM, has a much larger library etc. There's a reason it's largely ignored.

Same for the Wii u but it's competitors aren't out yet so nothings relative.

Hypron

The scope of something like Killzone 4 is dictated by budget, artistry, etc, more than it is hardware grunt. You surely can't accomplish it on a PS360 to the same degree, but it's not the same kind of jump as any previous generation. High end PC already "shits on" what the new consoles will be doing from a technical perspective.

In terms of raw powers, current PCs are already more powerful than consoles, yes. Do current pc games shit on next gen console games on a technical level? Fuck no. Current gen PC games have been held back by the old ass ps360 for way too long.

God... the last few days have been amazing. Microsoft completely shit the bed, Sony is quite possibly worrying about a change of underwear as we type and somehow Nintendo does not have this generation in the bag even though they launched a year early. Nintendo without a doubt has fumbled the winning pass for this generation.
Because Ninty wouldn't bend towards the DRM shit I'm betting?
They could at least release some of their own games.

StevieP

Banned
In terms of raw powers, current PCs are already more powerful than consoles, yes. Do current pc games shit on next gen console games on a technical level? Fuck no. Current gen PC games have been held back by the old ass ps360 for way too long.

That's only if you focus on so-called "AAA" multiplatform titles, and non-modified versions of such. A trip to the PC screenshot thread is really all you need to dispel this common myth. There is a large world beyond the "AAA" market.

Where the AAA market has it beat is "scope" and frankly, scope is the only impressive thing about games like Killzone, where you're still focused onto an extremely linear path. Scope is also greatly constrained by/dictated by budget.

Oh, it's really all very convenient. Just give them all your log in details. And then don't use yours while they're on. Perfect.
Weird, I don't need to be offline on the PS3 or be forced not to use it. It's convenient compared to not being able to do anything.

since when can you lend people downloaded games in the first place.
Since the age of downloaded games being tied to accounts.

Kimawolf

LOL lets cut the condescending crap and get back to your old self. I said specifically to me it looks like med low to medium high change, and being primarily PC gamer that's jack shit in the grand scheme of things. I guess for peopel who have never bothered to look at some of the higher end PC gaming the stuff they've seen would like like amazing/omg/never before seen stuff, but to most others, its "oh, it looks nice." and that's about it. And the Wii U is not immune, it is probably medium low plus turning one or two sliders up.

But as been stated time and again, I've seen NOTHING that looks truly next gen from either. Nothing that looks liek the jump from Ps2 to Ps3 even. and all those game you mention pale in comparison to threads on THIS VERY FORUM full of shit that would cause a PS4 and Xbone to choke and die. Go check some of those threads for what some of us gamers expected real Next Gen to look like. And those hundreds of things they are doing don't amount to amazing/huge leap either. Fish swimming out the way does not make a next gen anything.

Amir0x

Banned
LOL lets cut the condescending crap and get back to your old self. I said specifically to me it looks like med low to medium high change, and being primarily PC gamer that's jack shit in the grand scheme of things. I guess for peopel who have never bothered to look at some of the higher end PC gaming the stuff they've seen would like like amazing/omg/never before seen stuff, but to most others, its "oh, it looks nice." and that's about it. And the Wii U is not immune, it is probably medium low plus turning one or two sliders up.

But as been stated time and again, I've seen NOTHING that looks truly next gen from either. Nothing that looks liek the jump from Ps2 to Ps3 even. and all those game you mention pale in comparison to threads on THIS VERY FORUM full of shit that would cause a PS4 and Xbone to choke and die. Go check some of those threads for what some of us gamers expected real Next Gen to look like. And those hundreds of things they are doing don't amount to amazing/huge leap either. Fish swimming out the way does not make a next gen anything.

It has nothing to do with condescension. If you can't see the massive jump, I literally cannot help you. I don't know what you want me to say. Many of the games we've already seen are gigantic jumps over what came before on PS360. You can say whatever you want about how you think it's low medium to medium high or whatever junk makes you feel better to support your perspective on this, but it's not going to change what I said. I can't help others see what I see, not even when we deconstruct it and bulletpoint every single incremental little detail and dramatic difference piece by piece. You'll have to simply come to terms with the reality yourself. Because the jump is huge.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Weird, I don't need to be offline on the PS3 or be forced not to use it. It's convenient compared to not being able to do anything.

Since the age of downloaded games being tied to accounts.

Yeah no, some companies block your account for doing that e.g blizzard. Had to go through the issue of getting it back. So not really worth it for me...

It has nothing to do with condescension. If you can't see the massive jump, I literally cannot help you. I don't know what you want me to say. Many of the games we've already seen are gigantic jumps over what came before on PS360. You can say whatever you want about how you think it's low medium to medium high or whatever junk makes you feel better to support your perspective on this, but it's not going to change what I said. I can't help others see what I see, not even when we deconstruct it and bulletpoint every single incremental little detail and dramatic difference piece by piece. You'll have to simply come to terms with the reality yourself. Because the jump is huge.

TBF the crux of the matter is you believe the jump is huge he believes the jump isn't. There's no objectively correct answer here (beautiful thing about opinions) your both right (in regards to yourselves anyway), just agree to disagree.

iidesuyo

I wish I understood German so "Gedöns" would make sense to me.

I would translate it as "no useless crap"/"no bullshit". But no publication would use this officially, it's some kind of a slang, the site is run by either teenagers or hardcore Nintendo fans.

Top Bottom