• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 164 Scores

Nicked from another forum...
Phil Harrison interview...
On the muted response to Sony's conference:

"I guess when something is new and exciting and heard for the first time, that elicits a certain reaction emotionally, compared to when you're just confirming something that people already know."

On previously slagging off Microsoft's two SKU approach and then copying it:

"Ok what I said, unambiguously was that we would never give the consumer cause for confusion, and that we would be very clear about our product offering. The Playstation 3 format is exactly the same between the two SKUs. Our competitor has a different format between the two SKUs - one with a hard drive - but all Playstation 3s have a hard drive."

On the Dual Shock 3 (aka the Emotion Engine 2):

"What I mean is, I can tell the emotional state of the player by what they're doing with controller, and that can inform game design in a vey subtle way."

On the Wii:

"I haven't had a chance to see it, so I can't give you a personal view, but what I've read and heard is that their technology solution is a little bit better than the GameCube, it's not really a dramatic innovation or movement forward."

"I think the big, big difference os that the PS3 controller requires no external calibration device. And I think Edge readers will have no problem setting up their little doohicky on the side of their televisions, but I'm not sure my mum will be able to do that."

dammit...still reading the heavebnly sword issue.

anyone read jeff mintner's new column? guy sounds totally out of his mind. and not in a good way.

Amir0x

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Phil Harrison interview...
On the muted response to Sony's conference:

"I guess when something is new and exciting and heard for the first time, that elicits a certain reaction emotionally, compared to when you're just confirming something that people already know."

Yeah, when people hear something NEW and EXCITING, the response is usually muted.

Good one, Phil Harrison.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
Yeah, when people hear something NEW and EXCITING, the response is usually muted.

He's saying the opposite - this year there wasn't so much "new and exciting", a lot of it was confirming things.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
but the price was most certainly new

Sure. It's not like there was nothing new, but compared to last year when everything was "new and exciting", this year was definitely more business as usual. I mean even some of the slides were recycled from GDC IIRC! :p Obviously the presser had more problems than not having the benefit of it being a wholly new unveil, but I'm just saying his point wasn't that new and exciting elicits a muted response, quite the opposite.

Luckett_X

Banned
Does EDGE purposely avoid acknowledging Loco Roco exists? I was dumb-founded when their TGS issue didnt mention it at all, despite it being Game of the Show for most, and then over the months I think theyve only featured it in their 'coming up'.

I know that spanish magazine featured a Loco Roco cover, but I thought Edge wouldve done one also maybe. Is there anything in the mag about it at all? Maybe the next issue I guess. It just seems that sometimes EDGE are the people that say "i've gotten tired with current gaming!", so circlejerk to the Wii and give it the most cover attention. I'll never forget them saying that playing with the wiimote made then using the x360 pad feel 'archaic and ancient'.

Luckett_X said:
I'll never forget them saying that playing with the wiimote made then using the x360 pad feel 'archaic and ancient'.

with all due respect, you should probably play with the wiimote first before forming an opinion on that, yea?

Nothing on loco roco im afraid, bearing in mind the guys who write edge are in their late 30s, so they are the retro types im guessing.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Luckett_X said:
I'll never forget them saying that playing with the wiimote made then using the x360 pad feel 'archaic and ancient'.

You should, since they didn't say that. (They did say that going straight from a TGS Revmote demo to playing Rogue Galaxy with a DualShock suddenly seemed preposterous, but cultureshock does that to you).

D2M15 said:
You should, since they didn't say that. (They did say that going straight from a TGS Revmote demo to playing Rogue Galaxy with a DualShock suddenly seemed preposterous, but cultureshock does that to you).
They said it felt outdated was it not?

dabookerman said:
Ps: the more i read this interview, the more i think phil harrison is a shriveled cock then before.

He's basically being like any normal PR person would be, in that you're not suppose to talk up your competition. Everyone does it, that's just how things go.

SolidSnakex said:
He's basically being like any normal PR person would be, in that you're not suppose to talk up your competition. Everyone does it, that's just how things go.

I know, but i picture him saying it in his arrogant english accent and it just angers me for some reason.

dabookerman said:
I know, but i picture him saying it in his arrogant english accent and it just angers me for some reason.

I think he knows that the Wii controller is innovative, but its not his job to do their marketing for them. It's like when MS said kept comparing the Wii controller to their DVD remote. They know its BS, but they'r edoing their jobs. It's why PR people are usually not so liked by alot of gamers.

fresquito

Then again, you can just say that the Wii is underpowered compared to your console, which is damn right. You don´t need to say stupidity after stupidity, because your brand will look stupid.

You could, but that's clear to anyone that looks at a Wii game. That's not the main feature of the system and you want to downlplay what that main feature is. That's all he's doing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fresquito said:
Then again, you can just say that the Wii is underpowered compared to your console, which is damn right. You don´t need to say stupidity after stupidity, because your brand will look stupid.

That's pretty much what he did say.

"I've read and heard is that their technology solution is a little bit better than the GameCube, it's not really a dramatic innovation or movement forward."

I think he's clearly referring to their spec there. I don't know if he talked about their controller at all. He just seems to compare it to the PS3 controller, I don't know if he was asked to do that or not.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I hate their reviews, but I think their articles are pretty well done.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Barry Lightning said:
anyone read jeff mintner's new column? guy sounds totally out of his mind. and not in a good way.
I'd like to hear a UK gamer explain what he's contributed to the industry that makes him remembered, apart from Tempest 2000 and a penchant for bestiality.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
fennec fox said:
I'd like to hear a UK gamer explain what he's contributed to the industry that makes him remembered, apart from Tempest 2000 and a penchant for bestiality.

To be fair, that's two more memorable aspects than most.

Rocked

fennec fox said:

It's more his Commodore 64/ZX Spectrum games that he's known for here. Sheep In Space, Hovver Bovver etc... these are his classics. See here: http://www.lemon64.com/games/list.php?type=publisher&name=Llamasoft

Keep in mind the C64 and Spectrum were the leading formats from 1980 - 1992. The NES wasn't huge like it was in America.

hadareud

The Translator
The Harrison interview is a great example of Sonys cockiness and at the same time you can feel that they are getting nervous. People complain about Peter Moore spinning, but what this guy does is beyond ridiculous. And nothing gofreak or Solidsnakex say will change that.

It doesn't matter how you spin his words, it's a joke from start to end.

And btw, he is not a PR person (at least his job title would suggest otherwise)

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Rating by numbers is useless, everyone has their own interpretations and a game is not definable by just one numbers.

A review is for reading an article about a game and what it does well and what it doesn't do well in the reviewers eyes. A 1 to 10 number does not fit with a review. Numbers are for useless comparison between games.

What country is this magazine circulated in?

If Wii continues to be the lovechild of major magazines, it can't help but do well. Marketing is everything, especially free advertising and personal recommendations from people who don't owe you anything.

Snow

AdmiralViscen said:
It's a British mag, but I believe it gets fairly decent circulation around Europe (I can pick it up fairly easily here in the Netherlands). And, from what I hear from some American people, it's available at Barnes and Nobles with a few weeks delay.

Okay. I thought I remembered it being from the UK, but then I thought I remembered seeing it. And the only place I look at magazines is at B&N. It all comes together.

reminder said:
Found these on another board. Wii is on the Cover (no picture yet).

New Super Mario Bros 8
Hitman: Blood Money 7
Moto GP '06 8
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis 7
The Da Vinci Code 4
Sin Episodes: Emergence 6
Sensible Soccer 2006 6
X:Men The Official game 3
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War 5
Field Commander 7
Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of Destiny 6
Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge 4
Metal Saga 5

Sucks to see a Ace Combat game get such a low score... i hope Namco isnt ruining the franchise

AdmiralViscen said:

There's a German edition with translated articles, too.

Kobold said:
Rating by numbers is useless, everyone has their own interpretations and a game is not definable by just one numbers.

A review is for reading an article about a game and what it does well and what it doesn't do well in the reviewers eyes. A 1 to 10 number does not fit with a review. Numbers are for useless comparison between games.

Which leads us there.

Norse

gofreak said:
He's saying the opposite - this year there wasn't so much "new and exciting", a lot of it was confirming things.

Sony was all new this year...they actually tried a show without full motion videos the entire time....bet they wont ever do that again. Sony just found out the hard way that the gaming community out there wants sony to lie to them like in years past. Show them the damn videos..they dont care about the real games any way.

Phil Harrison said:
"I think the big, big difference os that the PS3 controller requires no external calibration device. And I think Edge readers will have no problem setting up their little doohicky on the side of their televisions, but I'm not sure my mum will be able to do that."

:lol Pretty sure his mum won't be shelling out $600 for a game system, either.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
fennec fox said:

I ran into the guy at E3, he was cool enough to pose for a picture

Shmmeee

On the Dual Shock 3 (aka the Emotion Engine 2):

"What I mean is, I can tell the emotional state of the player by what they're doing with controller, and that can inform game design in a vey subtle way."

1) Are they actually calling it the DualShock?

2) Didn't they say exactly the same thing ("I can tell the emotional state of the player") about analogue buttons on DS2? When was that ever used? In fact, I could almost understand it for analogue buttons (how hard you press), but how on earth can you tell the player's emotional state from tilt sensors?

Do Harrison, Moore, and that Kaz guy have a bet for most outragous bullshit they can get printed in a magazine or something?

How can anybody survive in their basic day-to-day life if they can't drag a wire and place an item? If you are that damned stupid I have no idea how they can do stuff like vacuum the house or cut the grass. Anybody who has difficulty with the sensor bar probably isn't going to be able to hook the system up to the TV to begin with.

Xellotah

beermonkey@tehbias said:
How can anybody survive in their basic day-to-day life if they can't drag a wire and place an item?

And if the worse comes to the worse, get your lazy son to set it up for you. Like he did when he set up your dvd player and skybox.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I always like seeing the scores in Edge, because instead of 7 or 8 being an average (next-gen the 8 (or high 7.xs) will be a standard from a lot of pub) you get 4s, 5s, and 6s way, way more often.

Top Bottom