• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 229 (new format) scores, features, Hitman cover

Odrion

Banned
every month people try to figure out the way edge scores games and/or why they give the scores they do

edge is the pitchfork of videogames, deal with it.

JPB 1973

Neo Member
All "prestigious" British magazines in a particular genre have a VERY pro British bias, ie. NME for popular music, Gramophone for classical music, so when reviewing a game such as Dirt 3 made by Codemasters, a British company, the score does seem a little disproportionate, although I haven't played Dirt 3, and I've heard it's great.

That Witcher 2 review made me think the author wanted to play an action game, the way he kept focusing on every facet of combat. That's not what Witcher 2 is about, and not the reason why anyone buys it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JPB 1973 said:
All "prestigious" British magazines in a particular genre have a VERY pro British bias, ie. NME for popular music, Gramophone for classical music, so when reviewing a game such as Dirt 3 made by Codemasters, a British company, the score does seem a little disproportionate, although I haven't played Dirt 3, and I've heard it's great.
Codemasters are Indian.

Everyone who thinks their scores for WRPG´s are reasons not to read the magazine are absolutely right to think so, but everyone who thinks they are wrong to set those scores are a part of the review scores problem.

lucius

I don't think they are bias, but I honestly think it is their stick to troll a game by a couple points usually lower than what every other major review site is giving it just because that is their thing. I think they get off on this and it is an editorial decision.

A point difference I can understand but when you have games 2.5 difference than Metacritic average you deserve to get called out. And I don't want to hear they rate lower than other reviewers because then it is not consistent since you will see 8's and 9's.

Lothars

lucius said:
I don't think they are bias, but I honestly think it is their stick to troll a game by a couple points usually lower than what every other major review site is giving it just because that is their thing. I think they get off on this and it is an editorial decision.

A point difference I can understand but when you have games 2.5 difference than Metacritic average you deserve to get called out. And I don't want to hear they rate lower than other reviewers because then it is not consistent since you will see 8's and 9's.

I think they are completely bias and deserve to be critized but I also feel this way about Eurogamer.

Riposte

miksar said:
I love how all the haters ignore that Edge's writing is so many levels above anything else in "gaming journalim" and compare it to IGN/Gamespot extremely boring standardized reviews.

I'd read a relatively small amount of Edge reviews, but still quite a few. They are just as boring. Sometimes ambitiously wrong: trying to act smart and be completely wrong. e.g. MvC3 is just a fanservice game. Their Street Fighter reviews are said to be just as terrible.

Fimbulvetr said:
"Tactics Ogre is trying to be a portable Mass Effect."

I will never forgive them.

Wow if true...

TheOddOne

Hitman info.
  • IO have created a brand new engine called the Glacier 2 for the game.
  • Agent 47 is on the run, they showed off a level in a library.
  • There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.
  • With the instinct mode you monitor enemies trough walls, burning-red trails highlight the patrol route enemies are about to take, and the mode also highlight points of intrest (like climable ledges and vents). It can also be used to maximise your disguise.
  • The instinct mode can only be used for a short time, it is powered by a bar that refills when you do silent, stealty takedowns.
  • Enemy patrol paths will now take organic and shorter paths, this is done so the player can anticipate when the AI is going to do something and not getting randomly caught.
  • The mini-map in the corner of the screen is going to stay, the will give the usual info like past games.
  • A new take on the threat meter: a grey circle appears in the centre of the screen, edges of which occasionally show where the player has been spotted.
  • You can make weapons that are built into the invironments and are unique to each setting.
  • The sneak animation has changed, Agent 47 will kill more gracefully.
  • Levels will now be divided into discrete checkpoints.
  • More focus on smaller sandboxes, because they want to control the pacing better and bring more variety to the gameplay.
  • Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.
  • Longtime 47's voice actor David Bateson will not be returning.
Not feeling this at all.

Messi

TheOddOne said:
Hitman info.
  • IO have created a brand new engine called the Glacier 2 for the game.
  • Agent 47 is on the run, they showed off a level in a library.
  • There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.
  • With the instinct mode you monitor enemies trough walls, burning-red trails highlight the patrol route enemies are about to take, and the mode also highlight points of intrest (like climable ledges and vents). It can also be used to maximise your disguise.
  • The instinct mode can only be used for a short time, it is powered by a bar that refills when you do silent, stealty takedowns.
  • Enemy patrol paths will now take organic and shorter paths, this is done so the player can anticipate when the AI is going to do something and not getting randomly caught.
  • The mini-map in the corner of the screen is going to stay, the will give the usual info like past games.
  • A new take on the threat meter: a grey circle appears in the centre of the screen, edges of which occasionally show where the player has been spotted.
  • You can make weapons that are built into the invironments and are unique to each setting.
  • The sneak animation has changed, Agent 47 will kill more gracefully.
  • Levels will now be divided into discrete checkpoints.
  • More focus on smaller sandboxes, because they want to control the pacing better and bring more variety to the gameplay.
    [*] Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.
    [*] Longtime 47's voice actor David Bateson will not be returning.
Not feeling this at all.

Oh for fuck sake io, no jesper kyd?

I thought bateson said he did work for the game, but now its gone from his site :(

panda21 said:
pretending the opinion of some random writer on the magazine is better than some random on a forum is the very definition of pretentious.

That's not what I said. Are you able to read? Do you speak English? Are you a robot? What's it like to be made of metal? How do you pee if you neither have flesh nor the ability comprehend someone else's posts on the internet?

TheOddOne

Messi said:
Oh for fuck sake io, no jesper kyd?

I thought bateson said he did work for the game, but now its gone from his site :(
Suprised me too, they did not say who's going to replace Bateson in the article.

Messi

bathala said:
Bullshit power regained after take down
Detective mode. Rent confirmed

Yup splinter cell convictioned

They did say on higher difficultys that mode is turned off.

wow the Infamous 2 review is really harsh, but the point where they proclaimed Prototype better than I1 I decided the reviewer was crazy and went back to being hyped

DaBuddaDa

Here's my cynical side talking:

TheOddOne said:
[*]There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum.
Translation: built in cheat code for dumb people.

TheOddOne said:
[*] Enemy patrol paths will now take organic and shorter paths, this is done so the player can anticipate when the AI is going to do something and not getting randomly caught.
Translation: Dumber AI, easier difficulty.

TheOddOne said:
[*] More focus on smaller sandboxes, because they want to control the pacing better and bring more variety to the gameplay.
Translation: scripted sequences and more cutscenes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was thinking about putting down the expensive amount to purchase an Edge subscription.

I guess not anymore. I can take the slightly bad game reviews (Let's face it there is worse in an industry that doesn't like to tell the truth, and the fact that we can identify they are bad at rating WRPG's) but they made the magazine smaller and shorter? Did they do anything to the paper quality?

Curufinwe

Riddick said:
Comparisons have been made in previous threads between scores of top UK games and top foreign and they're proved that point, at least to me. I don't have the patience to make these comparisons maybe someone can link you to these posts. What's irritating though is that you keep adding the strawman trying to make a point. Hint, points cannot be made using fallacies.

Hint - claiming Edge giving Dirt 3 a 9 confirms anything is utterly ridiculous. Did Giant Bomb give it 5/5 because of their well known bias towards British developed games?

lucius said:
I don't think they are bias

Lothars said:
I think they are completely bias

Holy shit, is this GameFAQs?

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/bias.html

Mar

Detox said:
I'm still confused why they got Leigh Alexander has she written anything good? All I know is she ruined Giantbomb at E3 once upon a time.

Leigh Alexander is one of the best writers in the industry. Say what you will of her party antics, but you can't question her professionalism. She fits into Edge perfectly.

As for The Witcher review. I found this comment on their site absolutely hilarious:

WTF? Game scores are comparisons. A six places Witcher 2 down the mediocre end of PC RPGs! If a game is a true 6 you would be wasting your money to buy it, because its mediocre, like Dungeons and Dragons Daggerdale, like Hunted, like Blink, Like Fable 3, Like Dragon Age 2....Like every game that ever came out of the UK.The content is not interesting? The game is obsessed with leather pants? These are ISSUES? This is the substance of the game and problems with it???? Wow. That's the 3rd 6 from a UK publication, after 5 scores of 100 from various other pro firms, and more than 20+ 90 + scores from all over, the 3rd UK team that called this game a 6??????? You think this is a game to be avoided, because it is that bad? And dissent is fanboy nonsense? 'Your sword won't damage enemies it passes through...' (Boo Hoo Hoo?) The problem with the combat system in the UK apparently is that UK reviewers (and only UK reviewers) dont have the requistite 40 IQ needed to learn how the combat system works. precisely why the Brits are so totally fucked in the head and incompetent at this simple basic manual task is not clear ,perhaps a result of education under the government of Tony Blair. Lets hope Edge reviewers join their beer-adled friends at Destructoid and STAY on the ALE, enjoying plenty of Fable 3, or whatever shit it is they think is 10/10. You can add this publication to the list of obese drunken UK morons that sink slowly into irrelevance along with a 'nation'.once envied and emulated, now gone to the dogs and the new demographics. LOL. And wait in vain, for any game from the UK to ever rate a true 5/10. let alone these nonsense ones these turds are posting these days. Was it the Tolkein joke that annoyed them? He was actually South African, for what its worth.......Paraphrase please 'I'm from the UK, an arrogant turd in a 'nation' declining into terminal irrelevance!' Yeah the rest of us noticed. Troll away morons! The game indeed is not perfect, but throwing 6s is nothing more than arrogance, the commentary little more than insolence, and the reviewer nothing other than INCOMPETENT. The Witcher 2 is a flawed masterpiece. If you forgive the flaws it scores over 9, if you dont its high 80s on passion and world-creating merit alone. A 6 from another talentless, passionless UK FUCK is insulting. Thankgod the coming economic storm will put all these wothless morons out of work, its time, at last, for the brits to go to the salt mines. That's where this fool belongs.

Detox

Mar said:
Leigh Alexander is one of the best writers in the industry. Say what you will of her party antics, but you can't question her professionalism. She fits into Edge perfectly.
Thanks for that. Just got my copy the redesign is sweet and the digital version probably looks really good now.

Just for completions sake here's the teaser for next month.
RaX7y.jpg

Osietra

Banned
To be fair on the reviewer of TW2 she must have found the ladies all looking seduction a bit off. But it did have craftworky bits on the plus side.

JPB 1973 said:

This is perhaps the most revealing and unintentionally hilarious post I've ever seen on here, well done.

Spike6663

Woffls said:
RPG's aren't streamlined enough for Edge's liking, apparently.

I'm really annoyed that the new mag is smaller than the old ones. Sure it's better to read on the go now, but I have a pile of Edge mags that are all perfectly lined up, except for this one :( guess I'll start a new pile.

I'm in the same boat. I sold all my V.2 Edge mags when they switched to V.3. I now own all of V.3 but, luckily, they fit into one shelf line.

About Edge and WRPG

After some years, you can see how overrated is Edge, when you see how games that are considered masterpieces of a game genre get 6 or 7, and other games that get completly forgotten after a few years (or even months) get scores of 8 or 9.

Get all that scores of those classic WRPG and compare it with the 9 of Fable II. You'll see that Edge don't understand the whole genre.

About the score of Infamous 2, I can't understand how Edge managed to give a 7 to the first one and give a 6 to the second one, when the second one improves a lot in all possible ways. There is no a single thing in Infamous 2 that you can say "it was better on the first one".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
DangerousDave said:
About the score of Infamous 2, I can't understand how Edge managed to give a 7 to the first one and give a 6 to the second one, when the second one improves a lot in all possible ways. There is no a single thing in Infamous 2 that you can say "it was better on the first one".

A review score isn't something mathematical. I'm sure Infamous 2 is more technically competent than the first game, but if all it's doing is refining ideas from Infamous 1, does it really deserve a better score 2 years later? For properly implementing ideas that were clumsily implemented in the first game?

Ushojax said:
A review score isn't something mathematical. I'm sure Infamous 2 is more technically competent than the first game, but if all it's doing is refining ideas from Infamous 1, does it really deserve a better score 2 years later? For properly implementing ideas that were clumsily implemented in the first game?

I'll agree if it was simply a technical refinement over Infamous 1, but is not, it's much more. You see the game, you see the review and you honestly don't know what the hell can Sucker Punch do in order to really get a good score. All the flaws marked on the review seems bad excuses, and that flaws were much bigger in Infamous 1 (or in a lot of other games considered better by the same Edge).

Tacitus_

Draft said:
Witcher 2 is great, but a 6 is a fair score.

It has its problems, but no. The reviewer rated it on the first few hours which unfortunately have most of the combat related problems which seemed to be the ones weighting down the score.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Reviews are especially irrelevant for Witcher 2 due to how the devs have already patched and dealt with many of the issues plaguing the game. Edge's two main criticisms are that the combat is unforgiving and clumsy and the game takes too long to get going.

While combat is still tough, many of the review's issues have already been addressed. Anyone who plays that game today will not encounter these issues that the reviews have noted.

Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 9/10

I'm not going to go around declaring opinions as invalid, but it truly seems here that Edge either doesn't know how to really understand what WRPG players are looking for and what makes a good WRPG.

A lack of knowledge or understanding about the genre seems to be an issue here. There's no other way that they can compare Jade Empire to Morrowind or Diablo 2 and not have those latter games be on an entirely different level of quality. Fallout 3 is a stone-cold classic at this point, and there is pretty much nothing about Dragon Age Origins that can be considered average (unless you are dealing with console version interface, but the actual content of the game is great). The kicker is that the highest rated "RPG" on the list is an slightly above-average 3rd person shooter with some elements of choice (nowhere near the volume or scale of choices that other games on the list have) and a story that is well told but is stretched out to about triple the length that it should be for what it has to tell.

One undeniable point of data that should make crystal clear that Edge has an issue with reviewing WRPG's: Dragon Age 2 was scored as a better game than Dragon Age Origins. If that doesn't give you an idea of what direction Edge wants games to go in or how antiquated it thinks traditional WRPG design is, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Edge is a fine magazine and one of the best sources of videogame journalism we have, but every publication has its weak areas, and it seems that Edge just doesn't "get" WRPG's enough to be a reliable source on them.

Fimbulvetr said:
"Tactics Ogre is trying to be a portable Mass Effect."

I will never forgive them.
Can I get a link to this madness? Seems like it will be an entertaining read.

Also Edge don't like RPG's, etc. Biased, etc.

Fredescu

The Crimson Kid said:
Edge is a fine magazine and one of the best sources of videogame journalism we have, but every publication has its weak areas, and it seems that Edge just doesn't "get" WRPG's enough to be a reliable source on them.
Yep. This is old news though. They may be good writers, but they don't understand the WRPG fan at all.

syoaran

Fredescu said:
Yep. This is old news though. They may be good writers, but they don't understand the WRPG fan at all.

Ah, true. But wow, how utterly ridiculous. Hopefully they comment on this, because it seems like such an odd score for something that is almost perfect on every side.

Nice to see Child of Eden recieve an 8.

Although I like Edge, for its fantastic articles and cover stories, it's hard to defend a magazine that scores InFamous 2 and The Witcher 2, a 6 / 10.
After reading the Infamous review it sounds like the reviewer is pissed because the game isn't called Prototype.

Top Bottom