• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 229 (new format) scores, features, Hitman cover

Goldmund

Leigh Alexander isn't a good writer because she has a better command of the English language than other writers or even a unique and accomplished style. She has interesting things to say and the honest verve to communicate them at any rate. That's rare, I'd say. This very characteristic makes her obnoxious on podcasts and great on paper.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
zoukka said:
As always, the Edge threads keep showing how fucking rotten the videogame reviewing business is. Some of the posts are cringeworthy here. X is better than Y rite HURRRRR!

It's a fucking opinion, if you want feature lists and justifications for your purchases, then feel free to read IGN only.

I would agree if Edge dropped scores altogether, it seems hypercritical that they seem to make a point of priding themselves on the body of text in their reviews then they will add a number at the end of it that contradicts that, either go all the way or conform, move to a 5 point system at least, I hate Edge in it's current form, but if they ditched the scores, I'd sign up for a sub straight away.

Curufinwe

Edge is a lot more than just the reviews. Have a friend or relative cross out the scores with a marker before you read it if they bug you to such a bizarre degree.

Riddick said:
I used to be a teenager the last time I took them seriously so for a long time. Future Publishing has raped the magazine multiple times with layoffs and change of staff until noone decent was left.

I can't believe there are suckers in here who still take it seriously because it used to be great once upon a time.

Someone was saying the same thing you are now back in the 90s when they only gave Diablo a 7. All we're getting from you is nostalgia and conspiracy theories.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I always thought that Edge scores were complete bullshit.

CD Projekt now has my respect for doing what they did.

Riddick

Goldmund said:
Leigh Alexander isn't a good writer because she has a better command of the English language than other writers or even a unique and accomplished style. She has interesting things to say and the honest verve to communicate them at any rate. That's rare, I'd say. This very characteristic makes her obnoxious on podcasts and great on paper.

Leigh Alexander is the perfect example of how low Edge has gone. The old Edge would never hire kotaku monkeys like her ilk, the new Edge is desperately trying to save itself from irrelevance so it's hiring her kind to get controversy, attention and sales. Their reviews serve the exact same function.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Edge, 1UP, IGN, GS...they're all the same to me in regard to videogame reviews. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Therefore, it's best to read fellow gamer's impressions and reviews rather than these big sites/mags.

Riddick

Foliorum Viridum said:
Er, go on...

As far as I'm aware, Edge is the only publication to actually use the 1-10 scale rather than the 6-10 scale.

They use a random number from the 5-10 scale to rate good games and a random number from the 1-4 scale for bad games. They're a joke and their reviews aren't only inconsistent compared to their other reviews or metacritic scores but usually inconsistent between the text and the score. They're controversial for controversy's sake.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Er, go on...

As far as I'm aware, Edge is the only publication to actually use the 1-10 scale rather than the 6-10 scale.

Whatever scale they use, it still represents the 6-10 perception of quality. metacritc.

Blizzje

The keyword here is credibility. Keep in mind that this publication gave Jade Empire a seven out of ten. I mean, it's a seven out of SOMETHING, but not ten.

StuBurns

Banned
Blizzje said:
The keyword here is credibility. Keep in mind that this publication gave Jade Empire a seven out of ten. I mean, it's a seven out of SOMETHING, but not ten.
Isn't it one of the three games to ever get a perfect score from IGN? There must be something to it.

Untracked

I've got about halfway through the new issue and so far I'd give the redesign a 4/10.

Hoping to come across a Time Extend replacement soon but I'm very disappointed after reading where IO is taking Hitman.

Riddick

Blizzje said:

It's also the magazine that pretends to rate innovation bashing good games and giving them low scores for the lack of it and still gives 10s to a franchise like Halo that has stayed almost the same since 2001. Don't try to make sense of the magazine you won't succeed.

lucius

I don't totally buy the excuse Edge just rates games low, they throw around 8's and 9's. They gave Enslaved an 8 and that was a technical mess at times, I would rate the game an 8 like the majority if reviewers, but on this so called mythical "Edge review scale" it should be rated a 6 or even lower, just BS.

If Infamous 2 is a 6, Enslaved should be a 5 in their "Edge review system"

zoukka

Riddick said:
It's also the magazine that pretends to rate innovation bashing good games and giving them low scores for the lack of it and still gives 10s to a franchise like Halo that has stayed almost the same since 2001. Don't try to make sense of the magazine you won't succeed.

It's also a magazine written by many individuals, no matter how hard some people want to lump them together under some arbitary "consistency".

Keep feeding the ass kisser publifications.

lucius said:
If Infamous 2 is a 6, Enslaved should be a 5 in their "Edge review system"

There is no system beyond the grade scale. Every writer has their own way of using it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
StuBurns said:
Isn't it one of the three games to ever get a perfect score from IGN? There must be something to it.

That IGN is a shitty enough review site to give a mediocre WRPG a 9.9? Yeah

Riddick

zoukka said:
It's also a magazine written by many individuals, no matter how hard some people want to lump them together under some arbitary "consistency".

Keep feeding the ass kisser publifications.

I don't know about you but I see a lot of consistency on their Halo scores.

Also this excuse about multiple writers is usually made up to damage control the terrible quality of a magazine or site. If they don't want to be a fucking joke all writers should abide by certain rules like rating innovation for example.

zoukka

Riddick said:
If they're don't want to be a fucking joke all writers should abide by certain rules like rating innovation for example.

You are not living in the real world. I can't believe I'm reading this :D

That IGN is a shitty enough review site to give a mediocre WRPG a 9.9? Yeah

You are generous there.

Riddick

zoukka said:
You are not living in the real world. I can't believe I'm reading this :D

Pfft, that's the best argument you could offer?

And btw if they're being as inconsistent as they want and have absolutely no standards why shouldn't I put Edge in the same category as other crap like kotaku and IGN?

Oxx

Skinny Edge feels a little weird, but they were probably due a re-design.

I always wonder why magazine publishers don't work-out their schedule so that they can get their E3 issues out fairly quickly after the show.

soldat7

Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

That's incredibly lulz-worthy.

zoukka

Shurs said:
If that's the case, and it's completely arbitrary, what's the point?

EDGE scale is 5 = Average. Every writer abides to this. But they do not have an arbitary limit on how low you can grade a game from the devs that gave you exclusivity or sent you ten PR screenshots.

Pfft, that's the best argument you could offer?

How do you argument against something so ridiculous. Like do you actually wish the editors to prowl around the writers and telling them to subtract/add points from their reviews basing on... I don't even find the words help me out here.

soldat7 said:
That's incredibly lulz-worthy.

How exactly? Or are you comparing a score given to a game decade ago to a completely different kind of game made last year?

Riddick

zoukka said:
How do you argument against something so ridiculous. Like do you actually wish the editors to prowl around the writers and telling them to subtract/add points from their reviews basing on... I don't even find the words help me out here.

No I wish they didn't shit out scores randomly (except for a couple of franchises like Halo where they have been VERY consistent) something that the old Edge managed perfectly. Don't tell me it can't be done because it can and I've witnessed it.

Shurs

zoukka said:
EDGE scale is 5 = Average. Every writer abides to this. But they do not have an arbitary limit on how low you can grade a game from the devs that gave you exclusivity or sent you ten PR screenshots.

Has an Edge editor spoken about their scoring in an interview?

Bento said:
I hope this post is not a stealth Lands of Lore bashing, blood will be spilled if so :I

It is not. I did a search on their database for games made by Westwood and Origin since they were two of the best western RPG developers.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Riddick said:

as is true with most review sources, 'mots' is only ever used when the reviewer's got other problems with the game, & despite the fact that, at this point, it's basically applicable to over 95% of all games. the constant appearance of this completely arbitrary, moronic 'slam' is my single biggest gripe with game reviews in general...

meanwhile, i just traded in an 8 (l.a. noire) for a 6 (infamous 2), which resulted in a $15 purchase price - thank you, team bondi! :) ...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Black Republican said:
haven't played infamous 2 but i enjoyed the 1st one, surprised the 6 score isnt being defended alot. Is it too much like the 1st game?
Infamous 1 to Infamous 2 is like Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

It's more of the same, but bigger and better looking. But it is a lot less repetitive than Infamous 1.

I don't understand the 6 either. It seems edge scores mainly on innovation, in this case I can see why LA Noire would score higher than Infamous 2. But overall, Infamous 2 is the better game. IMHO of course.

D3adend

Neo Member
Oh man, you guys are great. Seeing conspiracies in review scores over 15 years of a magazine. Because RPGs don't get amazing scores.

Do any of you remember those games at launch? Diablo 2 was shit at launch. Witcher was as well. Morrowind was a broken pile of shit at 1.0.

Their review scores make sense, you just have to think about things and read all of the worlds. Their Witcher 2 score seems justified, I disagree with them some, but they are right in the targeting system is broken. They also probably got screwed and had to reload a dozen times due to some bullshit part of the game, and are including that in their score.

Shurs

Black Republican said:
haven't played infamous 2 but i enjoyed the 1st one, surprised the 6 score isnt being defended alot. Is it too much like the 1st game?

I just started inFamous 2 yesterday. I like it so far, but I'm not about to question someone's score as they're ranking their experience with the game, not mine.

Aeana said:
Curious what they said about Witcher 2 to warrant a 6.

From what I gathered from the online review their major gripes were that, according to them, the story was too much of a slow burn and took too long to get going, they spent too long building up Foltest's backstory and other than that I think their main gripes were some complaints some of the user interface stuff like skill upgrade paths and inventory mechanics.

Surprised at the Witcher 2 score. Though I guess a 6 from Edge still means it's solid, I'm not sure why it would score just a 6. The game is pretty fantastic. Just play the beginning and you will be probably treated with one of the best intros to a WRPG ever.

Not surprised at the Infamous 2 score. The first game was pretty bad, and the sequel seems to improve on it to the point of just being an ok game. 6 seems good enough for a pretty mediocre game.

LA Noire diffidently deserves the 8. Great story, with some interesting gameplay.

Eveyone has their own say about the scores but I found that the vast majority of the time with a few tiny exceptions that EDGE review scores have matched my own personal tastes on games so I end up trusting them the most.

Raxus

fuzzyreactor said:
lol

the 2 games that have great gameplay mechanics score shit but the one with terrible mechanics(and a crap story to boot) scores good?
Edge has entered the bizarro realm this issue.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10

bwhahha they mad, 6 out of 10 for D2? Waitaminutebub, that means the witcher 2 is as good as D2, daaayuuum.

Leckan

Witcher 2 - 6

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_dwade.gif

Acosta

I love Edge, I really do, I have been a subscriber for many, many, years (and not being from UK, that means 70+ pounds each year), but if there is something I have learnt is that they are completely illiterate to speak about WRPGs. And I'm not talking about numbers, their reviews about them makes no sense, they don't focus in any of the stuff that matters in a RPG probably because some silly editorial guideline.

Just ignore them, I stopped reading them time ago.

Meh at the change of format, it´s the third one, my library will look like a roallercoaster.

Time Extend is gone...

WTF!

Riddick

Corky said:
bwhahha they mad, 6 out of 10 for D2? Waitaminutebub, that means the witcher 2 is as good as D2, daaayuuum.

No, because according to Edge apologists it's OK for the magazine to be extremely inconsistent. So Witcher could be much worse or much better. Also LA Noire or Enslaved could be a far worse games than Infamous (imo they are) unlike what Edge scores suggest but since Edge is just being Edge you just don't know. Different reviewers you see...

So in other words Edge scores don't mean shit. There's no real standard, it's just random scores sometimes from good reviewers (if there are any left) and some times from kotaku monkeys who were told to score strictly.

Top Bottom