• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 252 - Reviews + stuff [LEGO City, Luigi's Mansion etc]

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Does the Wii U have enough of that demographic on board in the first place? Probably not.

Wii U doesn't have enough of any demographic though, to be fair :p

Zia

Chinatown Wars, Phantom Hourglass, Bowser's Inside Story, DQIX, Bangai-O Spirits and that's it for DS I guess.

And Space Invaders Extreme 2.

For other platforms, Mario Kart 7, Final Fantasy Tactics PSP, Peace Walker, Spy Mouse, DrawRace 2, Jetpack Joyride, Ziggurat, Super Hexagon, Year Walk, Groove Coaster and Meanwhile were all awarded a 9, off the top of my head. I think Edge doles out as many or more for handheld games. Most people just think they underrate them when everyone expects less from handheld titles (when they shouldn't.)

Guys, dont write off Lego City yet, it got the same score as Mirror's Edge, might not be that bad.

Good to see Year Walk get a 9
This. I stopped taking EDGE seriously after they scored Mirrors Edge and Saint's Row 2 with only 5 out of 10.

Not that I care much for Lego Undercover and I don't own a Wii U, but if they only gave Lego LOTR 6 - well I thought that game was awesome. Hundred percented it.

Murrah

Banned
My hype for Luigi is just about through the damn roof, really can't wait for it and we've still got a couple weeks

As someone who got a Wii U at launch and is pretty content starved (been playing the crap out of Runner 2 the past couple weeks though), Lego City never looked that good. The last trailer I saw with the Shawshank joke and whatnot seemed really funny, and I love the buddy cop spoof vibe, but the game itself never looked super interesting. So if the game really doesn't end up being anything special I won't be disappointed, and if it does turn out cool then I'll be pleasantly surprised

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Edge really isnt the prestigious magazine many people still hold it to anymore. The covers are a far cry from their artistic perfection of the past, and they can barely crack an exclusive above shit retro iOS revival these days.

I mean reviews with this kind of fuzzy thinking:
by the end of our Normal playthrough it totalled just five and a half hours. After a Hard run in which we skipped all the codec sections, it read nine and a half. When the credits rolled on our Very Hard playthrough, we’d been playing for less than 15 hours. While we certainly didn’t expect a 50-hour game, we were hoping for a little more meat under the exoskeleton than this.
Spends close to 15 hours with stylish action game in short succession, doesnt mention VR missions. Holds length against it. Bravo!

TheNatural

My Member!
Edge really isnt the prestigious magazine many people still hold it to anymore. The covers are a far cry from their artistic perfection of the past, and they can barely crack an exclusive above shit retro iOS revival these days.

I mean reviews with this kind of fuzzy thinking:

Spends close to 15 hours with stylish action game in short succession, doesnt mention VR missions. Holds length against it. Bravo!

It's 5 and a half hours without artificially lengthening through busy work. I see nothing wrong with that thinking.

pelican

Are you a long term reader who has been turned off the magazine? Or an internet observer from the distance? Just wondering as I've been reading since Issue 0, and still enjoy it.

As for the covers, well artistic merit is subjective, and Edge never really has been about bagging massive exclusive cover stories. That is the forte of Game Informer. A magazine owned by a retailer.

pelican

It's 5 and a half hours without artificially lengthening through busy work. I see nothing wrong with that thinking.

For me it is bang on the money. I have no interest in artificially increasing the play through time with VR missions. You buy a Steak in a restaurant for the Steak, not for the salad;p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Any experienced gamer is going to want to go through this game on Hard from the start rather than cake-walk it, and you're looking at at least 7 hours. Then theres the incredibly hard VR missions, the almost obligatory Very Hard playthrough with new enemy sets, all the collectables like left arms and MiB's, and of course for the story enthusiast theres like 3 hours of optional codec conversations to enjoy.

Perhaps if this was an RPG or sandbox game or something I could understand hour counting, but stylish action game you feel compelled to replay on harder modes as soon as you've finished? Mission Accomplished.

TheNatural

My Member!
Any experienced gamer is going to want to go through this game on Hard from the start rather than cake-walk it, and you're looking at at least 7 hours. Then theres the incredibly hard VR missions, the almost obligatory Very Hard playthrough with new enemy sets, all the collectables like left arms and MiB's, and of course for the story enthusiast theres like 3 hours of optional codec conversations to enjoy.

Perhaps if this was an RPG or sandbox game or something I could understand hour counting, but stylish action game you feel compelled to replay on harder modes as soon as you've finished? Mission Accomplished.

What does hard make a difference? It's a Lego game. Go collect 1000 trinkets instead of 50?

If there's any game that is review worthless, it's Lego games. You know what you're getting, you know what kind of depth there is, there's 1000 different ones out there that are almost exactly the same, and 95% of these games are for kids.

No reason to get butthurt by the reviews, you know exactly what it is and what type of game it is. Seems like some want to make it into something it isn't just because it's about the only game the Wii U has coming out in the first 8 months of 2013.

pelican

I can't help but notice you missed my post and question.

Either you missed it, or are perhaps judging Edge from the Internet without buying and reading it. Which makes your points regarding the magazine moot.

What does hard make a difference? It's a Lego game. Go collect 1000 trinkets instead of 50?

If there's any game that is review worthless, it's Lego games. You know what you're getting, you know what kind of depth there is, there's 1000 different ones out there that are almost exactly the same, and 95% of these games are for kids.

No reason to get butthurt by the reviews, you know exactly what it is and what type of game it is. Seems like some want to make it into something it isn't just because it's about the only game the Wii U has coming out in the first 8 months of 2013.
We're talking about Metal Gear not Legos, I think.

Bombadil

Banned
This is disappointing.

I was looking forward to getting that game.

I'm buying a Wii U today (for sure this time).

Maybe I'll still get it. Edge is a little harsher on games than other review sites.

If they're going to give it demerits for load times, then SimCity should get them for DRM, server issues, and small city restrictions.

Edge gave Diablo 3 a 9.

EDGE's sophisticated reviewers probably found LEGO City a little below their station... that said, the Luigi's Mansion score is reassuring. I don't know, ever since they gave Jak II a 6 I've been a little disinclined to trust their opinion on anything.

pelican

Pikmin and 101 STILL don't have release dates, and everything else you listed is either multiplat, an up-ressed port, or isn't coming out until late in the year. Leaving the entire first half of this year a wasteland.

It is quite shocking that Pikmin still has no date. Nintendo's inability to get software out for the Wii U beggars belief.

Pie and Beans

I can't help but notice you missed my post and question.

Either you missed it, or are perhaps judging Edge from the Internet without buying and reading it. Which makes your points regarding the magazine moot.

Long term reader, fell out a few years back when the quality took a nose-dive. The reverence people give to the "earned" difficulty of an EDGE score is no longer relative. Too many total trash reviews.

Also despite the fact the writing took a turn for the worse (who knows what writers came and went thanks to that anonymous reviewer accountability) I still picked the mag up for the amazing layout design and covers. For the past two years thats been dogshit so EDGE is just a website I tut at these days.

Zia

Edge has freelancers and staff that have a deep understanding of action games. They gave Bayonetta a 10. They are a consistent champion of Platinum. The writer was not in love with Rising. Many fans of Platinum, and the genre, were not in love with Rising. If Eurogamer had someone besides Simon Parkin or Rich "God I Love Everything" McCormick on the review, it probably would have been scored similarly. Chris Schilling, a massive Platinum fan who contributes to both pubs and could have easily been assigned it by either, had similar complaints in his Videogamer review: http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/metal_gear_solid_rising_review.html. The game is pretty short on original content.

Not understanding what the controversy is.

zroid

Banned
Aw man, really disappointing about Lego City. Well, we'll see how it goes as the other reviews come in.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is disappointing.

I was looking forward to getting that game.

I'm buying a Wii U today (for sure this time).

Maybe I'll still get it. Edge is a little harsher on games than other review sites.

If they're going to give it demerits for load times, then SimCity should get them for DRM, server issues, and small city restrictions.

Edge gave Diablo 3 a 9.

Serious question. Why would you buy a WiiU now. What games are you going to play on it?

Pie and Beans

Ahh, a shame you no longer find it a worth while read. I still enjoy reading it while commuting, but I do miss past glories such as Redeye.

Have you tried Games TM?

Yeah I dabble in that one every now and then since thats where there quality seemed to go if I needed a casual read or article of interest. GAF kinda supplies too much quantity of quality gaming reading to really invest in mags these days, and smartphone available GAF kinda kills the lure of mags altogether.

Mid 2011 seems to be when the visual quality jumped off the cliff for me btw:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/every-edge-magazine-cover-ever/
Most notably with this offence:
ur1q7ZM.jpg

NOPE.

Before then it was dumb but pretty. Now its dumb and hurts my eyes.

Xellos

30 second load times sound pretty bad, but I'm still looking forward to Lego City. The silly buddy cop vibe is very appealing to me, and I did enjoy the Star Wars and Indy Lego games.

I'm not worried about the edge review for lego city. They gave lego Batman a 5/10 and that game was ranked from 75 to 80(depending on the platform) on metacritic.

Bombadil

Banned
Serious question. Why would you buy a WiiU now. What games are you going to play on it?

I never had a Wii so there's a huge backlog of Wii games to play.

I'm also going to get NSMBU.

I wonder if maybe I should just get a Wii because it's really cheap now and I can get a ton of games on the same day. But I feel confident that Nintendo will shape up the Wii U so I don't want to miss out.

Pie and Beans

I never had a Wii so there's a huge backlog of Wii games to play.

I'm also going to get NSMBU.

I wonder if maybe I should just get a Wii because it's really cheap now and I can get a ton of games on the same day. But I feel confident that Nintendo will shape up the Wii U so I don't want to miss out.

You should feel confident that Nintendo are going to price-drop the shit out of the thing by/in Summer, and that if you want to play Wii games, since the WiiU doesnt up-res them, its best to pick up a cheap as all hell Wii rather than pay for a soon to be price-slashed system. The money you'll save is worth multiple actual games to play. Or wait a bit longer on going through with either just incase Nintendo opens the floodgates on HD Re-Releases as a "our release calendar is fucked" solution.

daakusedo

7 seems fair for this metal gear, myself I was disappointed the first version ended up being a mess and they had to give the game to platinum. It's weird to say but when I saw the first trailer for the new version, it was platinum doing platinum, and the fact it was slapped on a metal gear game, even a spin of, was kind of boring. I also gathered from the gamekult review that it was not even platinum at its best gameplay wise, being more flashy than deep.

I'm surprised by their score of Castlevania. I thought it would have been a bit lower. Also surprised by Aliens getting a 5. Do they score shitty games accordingly or not even bother?

Top Bottom