• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #272 - Far Cry 4 cover story, Bayonetta 2 gets a 10

A lot of people enjoy a lot of things.

However this is about a supposedly objective review of a game that had many shortcomings yet the reviewer was careful enough to "forget" writing about any of them and generously reward the game with an 8.As an Uncharted clone or a new IP it may have been a shallow but fun game but as a game that dares to have Tomb Raider on its title it was abysmally bad.

And no Uncharted didn't start trying to be Tomb Raider unless the only TR game you have played was TRLegend.

And as i said the Tomb Raider 2013 review was just the cherry on top for me regarding the credibility of Edge.In recent years they have wrote many bad reviews that failed to criticize the games objectively.

Edge is not one person but a team of writers with different opinions. I don't agree with every Edge review either, but that doesn't make the reviews themselves less valid. As long as the writer does a good job of explaining why he or she awarded a certain score it's fine by me, whether I agree with it or not. Opinions and all that.

Pretty great list of ten games, there. The only game I personally didn't enjoy much is Little Big Planet but even that was still very clever. Street Fighter should be number 1, of course.

Nathan Brown from Edge won Capcom's E32014 editor's tournament too.

sublimit

Banned
Edge is not one person but a team of writers with different opinions. I don't agree with every Edge review either, but that doesn't make the reviews themselves less valid. As long as the writer does a good job of explaining why he or she awarded a certain score it's fine by me, whether I agree with it or not. Opinions and all that.

Yet they all hide behind their anonymity so we can only judge the quality of their reviews as a whole.

Camwi

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

That's actually an excellent Top 10.

weekev

Banned
Yet they all hide behind their anonymity so we can only judge the quality of their reviews as a whole.
Yep so as with all gaming media you need to take all reviews at face value. I have a few friends that i normally agree with on everything but occasionally we will have a difference of opinion. Does this mean i will never respect that friends opinionagain? Course it doesnt. Now you are saying you will never trust another Edge review after 1 reviewer disagreed with your opinion on 1 game.

Not only that, but the reviewers opinion is shared by many many people. I dont know man, maybe you need to learn to forgive and forget. Sometimes people are wrong about things, sometimes you may even be wrong about some things. All i know is BAYONETTA 2 10 BABY!!!!! Hype?

Well if people really wanted the Platinum games then what console it is on wouldnt really matter

False. I love PG's work but I would refuse to buy a console strictly for their games. Nintendo saved them with Bayo 2, but it would be a death knell if they were bought out. Wii U isn't meant for adult-oriented games. This has been iterated numerous times.

You're off your rocker. Left 4 Dead doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that list.

L4D was good but never ever great.

kpaadet

Well if people really wanted the Platinum games then what console it is on wouldnt really matter

Alright you got me, I guess I don't REALLY want a Platnium game since I don't feel like spending the money to buy a console for one game. Man I'm such a filthy casual.

weekev

Banned
Alright you got me, I guess I don't REALLY want a Platnium game since I don't feel like spending the money to buy a console for one game. Man I'm such a filthy casual.
2 games, the phenomenal Wonderful 101 is on it too you filthy casual. :p

But surely if all the Platinum games were on one console you wouldn't be buying the console for one game? Probably better than buying several consoles for some games, anyway.

sublimit

Banned
Yep so as with all gaming media you need to take all reviews at face value. I have a few friends that i normally agree with on everything but occasionally we will have a difference of opinion. Does this mean i will never respect that friends opinionagain? Course it doesnt. Now you are saying you will never trust another Edge review after 1 reviewer disagreed with your opinion on 1 game.

That's not what i said at all. I said that there were many other Edge reviews in recent years that i didn't agree with and they failed to criticize the games objectively enough.

Tomb Raider 2013 was just the final blow (for me).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Oh, well in that case I hope Microsoft buys them since they've been throwing money around lately. I'm sure everyone would be just peachy about that news eh?

jacobeid

Banned
Bayo 2 in my veins now please.

The GameStop employee kind of laughed when I paid off my preorder in full early this summer and told me to preorder Madden instead. Flock off.

weekev

Banned
That's not what i said at all. I said that there were many other Edge reviews in recent years that i didn't agree with and they failed to criticize the games objectively enough.

Tomb Raider 2013 was just the final blow (for me).
Fair enough, my point still kind of stands though. If you think Edge arent objective enough are you not fairly close to rejecting all reviews? In my experience Edge tend to be overly critical of games as opposed to sweeping stuff under the carpets just to bump up the score. Dont get me wrong Im not the kind of person who will base a purchase on a review score, i tend to go by gameplay videos, demos and forum impressions, but id never completely reject a respectable outlet based on a couple of oversights.

Yeah that sounds great! Lets limit Platnium games to the few dozen that owns a Wii U.

No, not this again God dammit.
Let Platinum live. Don't restrict them to 1 console, for all we know Nintendo could make them burp 3ds titles forever. Stop this.

Your reasoning makes no sense since they don't have a stash of magical revenue somewhere to develop the games for a multi-platform audience. Platinum seems to be fully reliant on partnerships to survive. So, I'd rather they make a fucking game for an exclusive for each system than make none at all.

Very good top 10 list.

Should have included something else instead of The Last of Us, that game won't have staying power. People will burn that phase in the next years.

No, not this again God dammit.
Let Platinum live. Don't restrict them to 1 console, for all we know Nintendo could make them burp 3ds titles forever. Stop this.

Platinum are going to be relying on first party deals more and more in the future, since first parties can leverage those titles to building a unique library to potentially sell consoles. No third party publisher will be willing to pay them money because there is a history of bad ROI on their titles. If you really cared about Platinum and not just console wars you will see that getting bought out will be the easiest way to ensure they will still be making games. Nintendo is the best candidate because they actually have the money to do so (unlike Sony) and they don't have a history of alienating talent (Unlike Microsoft).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LittleBigPlanet has no business being anywhere near that list. Other than that, solid.

Percy

Banned
You're off your rocker. Left 4 Dead doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that list.

Yeah okay, maybe calling it one of the gen's best is a bit of a stretch, but in all seriousness I did actually enjoy it a lot more than Red Dead Redemption (though they are very different types of game obviously).

L4D is still one of the most fun multiplayer titles I've played in the past 7-8 years though.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Does anyone know the last game that was reviewed well, but actually sold not as good? I have a feeling that's going to happen to Bayonetta 2.

Min0

Ah, can't wait for that delicious special edition. Nintendo should put a sticker on it or something: "20/20 by EGDE"

Gusy

Let me fix this for Edge.

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 Bioshock
8 Journey
7 Mass Effect
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

That's a list! Haven't played Bayo yet.. Didn't want the subpar ps3 experience. I'll be jumping right in now (Asuming the WII U port holds up)

antitrop

That's a list! Haven't played Bayo yet.. Didn't want the subpar ps3 experience. I'll be jumping right in now (Asuming the WII U port holds up)

Bayonetta was GOTY 2009, but the framerate wasn't even locked 60 on the 360 and there was an absolutely insane amount of screen tearing. So you weren't getting a perfect experience even if you avoided the PS3 version.

Let's hope the Wii U is definitive, even if it can't lock down 60fps, at least getting rid of the screen tearing would be a massive step up.

jimboton

So, same top three games of the generation as Eurogamer if you exchange The Last of Us with Spelunky.

Much prefer Eurogamer's choice.

Top Bottom