• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominees for GCA's Best of E3 award announced, Evolve gets 6 nominations

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Best Social/Casual

Yoshi's Woolly World (Good-feel/Nintendo)

Wat

In what universe is this a "social/casual" game?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Evolve was great, I played a round with Major, Jeff, e, and Andrea and we had a blast. Well-deserved nominations for those guys.

Glad the judges liked Sunset!

sjay1994

No Splatoon? No The Order: 1886? No Bloodborne?

Splatoon: From impressions, its a neat concept, but the actual execution is meh.

Bloodborne: No one got to play it, all they say was a hands of demo being played with god mode on

The Order: The only thing they let people play was that section they streamed. Sony and RAD are not doing the best job showing of this game.

Sweet Ivy

Is Evolve that good? I'm not feeling it like I did Titanfall.

Evolve is sweet.
It's even fun to look at.

Compared to Titanfall I feel it's more original at its core; it's (much) more competitive and focuses on teamplay. Not that they should be put in direct competition, but just for the sake of it...
Moreover, It felt quite polished. It's going to be quite varied with the different character roles and the playing as the monster part. I had great vibes playing it, (for me) it feel much more intriguing that Titanfall did (oh, btw I did play and enjoyed Titanfall).

gorfyako

Banned
has to be playable but no mans sky is up there like 5 times, GTFO.

I could be wrong, but I believe these are all games that the critics played in an event a week or two before E3. So even though there might not have been a playable demo of No Man's Sky on the E3 showfloor, it still could have been playable at the critics event.

Chobel

At MS E3, I was wondering why MS had exclusive DLC + Beta for Evolve in xbone since it didn't look that interesting (at least to me). Seeing many of the media outlets praising/hyping this game, it actually makes sense why MS secured all that exclusive contents for the game.

I'm assuming Bloodborne was eligible for game of the show, since it's in the best RPG nominations, yet they put Shadow of Mordor ahead of it. Alright then....

I played Evolve at Pax East, it really wasn't anything special, definitely not original. Did you play Left 4 Dead? Yes? You've played Evolve. No? Just buy L4D on Steam sale for like $2. Honestly if you didn't like L4D, you're probably not going to like that game.

guek

Banned
To me, evolve feels like another flash in the pan similar to Titanfall, meaning it'll be a good game that's going to be pushed harder than it merits deserve by industry journalists and analysts.

UberTag

Bayonetta 2 got snubbed big time. Guess the press don't give a shit about it.
Non-Nintendo developed Wii U exclusive? Yeah, they could care less. Then again, since when has any PlatinumGames title been received well at an E3 for any system?

sjay1994

so they arbitrarily omitted some games for not being playable, and accepted others.

okay then.

I think what they did is not accept games that just came with pre recorded videos. MGSV, Witcher and Division all did that. People who saw no mans sky saw them play it, but never got hands on with it.

Phatmac

Non-Nintendo developed Wii U exclusive? Yeah, they could care less. Then again, since when has any PlatinumGames title been received well at an E3 for any system?
Right. A difficult action combat game like Bayo 2 might be too much for them. At least they remembered Splatoon

Does Ori really count as an indie when its own by Microsoft (and published by them)? I mean it looks great, but a strange decision.

ultron87

so they arbitrarily omitted some games for not being playable, and accepted others.

okay then.

I wanna say that they usually give the actual judges a controller for a sec just to run a dude around to make it count as "playable" even if they don't let them do a full demo. I feel like I've heard people talk about that happening before.

guek

Banned

Some days, I really feel like this industry is in need of a reckoning. But then I go and buy half a dozen games on steam. Damn.

Rich!

I think what they did is not accept games that just came with pre recorded videos. MGSV, Witcher and Division all did that. People who saw no mans sky saw them play it, but never got hands on with it.

Xenoblade X had a 45 minute gameplay demo courtesy of Nintendo Treehouse and a separate 40 minute gameplay demo from IGN.

And it was amazing. And it still didn't get nominated for RPG. what.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Best PC Game
- Civilization: Beyond Earth (Firaxis/2K Games)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (Bioware/EA)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

1 PC game and 4 console ports. Looks legit.

sjay1994

Right. A difficult action combat game like Bayo 2 might be too much for them. At least they remembered Splatoon

People not letting those W101 reviews go. Bayo mechanically might be the simplest game I have played developed by platinum. It didn't have the almost sensory overload of Vanquish, nor the learning curve of revengeance. You don't learn to parry/block and play on normal, your fucked in revengeance.

Bayo is a simple game to get into.

Also, the W101 comment has no merit from me since I have not played it. But looking at it, I have no idea how I am supposed to play it. Will pick it up when i buy a wii U later.

guek

Banned
Xenoblade X had a 45 minute gameplay demo courtesy of Nintendo Treehouse and a separate 40 minute gameplay demo from IGN.

What's sad is that while this fact while this might get brought up by nintendo enthusiast press sites, the majority of western journalists simply do not give the least bit of a shit.

sjay1994

Did you see someone holding a controller and playing it? If not thats bizarre for the omission. Then again, I never played the original xenoblade, so I can't comment on it myself.

Honestly, nominations don't make sense. I remember being confused that TLOU was nominated 6 times in 2012 because everyone said they never played it. Just watched someone else playing it.

First of all, I voted for Captain Toad.

Second of all, there's no double standards at play at all. The rule is, we say, "Can I play this?" and if they say yes and let us play it, it's eligible. If they say no, it's not eligible. I was able to play Bloodborne, I was not able to play Xenoblade. Pretty straightforward. Reasonable people can disagree on the merits of that rule, but it's applied universally.

Nominee Breakdown by Platform
(Multiplatform games are counted in all appropriate platform tallies. Information based on announced platforms for each game/product as of 6/24/14.)

PlayStation 4: 26 Games
Xbox One: 25 Games
PC: 24 Games
PlayStation 3: 16 Games
Xbox 360: 15 Games
PlayStation Vita: 7 Games
Wii-U: 6 Games
Nintendo 3DS: 4 Games

It makes sense that the platforms with the most multiplats would get the awards since almost all the nominees were multiplats.

I would like to see a list of which platforms have more awards/noms based on exclusivity.

Top Bottom