• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominees for GCA's Best of E3 award announced, Evolve gets 6 nominations

Zornack

Xenoblade X had a 45 minute gameplay demo courtesy of Nintendo Treehouse and a separate 40 minute gameplay demo from IGN.

And it was amazing. And it still didn't get nominated for RPG. what.

Games have to be playable by judges to be eligible for voting. 99% sure Xenoblade wasn't played by anyone but Treehouse.

Quentyn

Every video impression/article I read about it all said that they watched someone else play it. No hands on time.

That was for normal preview coverage. E3 judges must have an opportunity to play the game, either at judges week or at E3. That is the rule or the game will be not considered for the award. They probably separated them after the theater demo and gave them a short hands on time. It was the same with Destiny last year, that game was playable for judges at E3, months before the "normal gaming press" was given the opportunity to play the game.

Playable also does not necessarily mean 10 minute demo. It just means touch the controller and see if the game works for a minute or so.

mollipen

If a game was playable before or at E3, it was allowed to be on the lists. If it wasn't, it wasn't. End of story. If you see a game on the lists, it was playable to judges in some way. There are no conspiracies here.

And if you're saying "where is game X?!?", your not seeing it doesn't mean it wasn't voted for. Every judge puts in their nominations, and those that get the most nominations move on to become the final nominations.

UberTag

First of all, I voted for Captain Toad.

Second of all, there's no double standards at play at all. The rule is, we say, "Can I play this?" and if they say yes and let us play it, it's eligible. If they say no, it's not eligible. I was able to play Bloodborne, I was not able to play Xenoblade. Pretty straightforward. Reasonable people can disagree on the merits of that rule, but it's applied universally.
What was it like playing No Man's Sky?

They are considered indie but the strict definition of indie has so many exceptions now it's meaningless. And that's not just games, it's the same in music and film too.
"Indie" is brand lingo for "non-AAA funded artistic game that we will release digitally".

sjay1994

That was for normal preview coverage. E3 judges must have an opportunity to play the game, either at judges week or at E3. That is the rule or the game will be not considered for the award. They probably separated them after the theater demo and gave them a short hands on time. It was the same with Destiny last year, that game was playable for judges at E3, months before the "normal gaming press" was given the opportunity to play the game.

Playable also does not necessarily mean 10 minute demo. It just means touch the controller and see if the game works for a minute or so.

Game Critics: GAME WORKS!

*puts a best of e3 sticker on booth*

Best Console Game
- Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady/WBIE)
- Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith/WBIE)

Jesus you can really tell what the critics are enamored with this cycle....third-person action games. Despite the fact there were many great, playable, diverse games on the floor what they chose was all the same crap.

I would have liked to see more diversity than this, I know it was there.

I played Evolve at Pax East, it really wasn't anything special, definitely not original. Did you play Left 4 Dead? Yes? You've played Evolve. No? Just buy L4D on Steam sale for like $2. Honestly if you didn't like L4D, you're probably not going to like that game.

Considering the differences between the gameplay that I can see in the vids, I'm calling BS on it being just L4D. I respect that you're coming from evidently having hands on with the title, but I feel like this is a case of 'every shooter=same' mindset, or 'Titanfall=COD'.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They renamed it "Social/Casual." Basically a catch-all for any game rated less than T.

This is complete garbage. If this is the way the industry is headed, I'm out.

AHA-Lambda

No Zelda U? Or do they not nominate early game teasers?
edit: looks like unplayable games are not qualified.

Good, the thing is basically just a concept at this point, Nintendo showed off as much Zelda as EA did for Battlefront, it shouldn't be winning anything.

mollipen

Game Critics: GAME WORKS!

*puts a best of e3 sticker on booth*

I think there's some merit to that. In a totally separate conversation from what's going on here, we decided for our "best of E3" awards for EGM that the game had to be playable in some fashion before it could be offered up as a nomination. The rationale is this: a video can look like gameplay but be totally faked, so the "promise" that's being conveyed may be total BS. If we can actually prove for ourselves that there's a working game that we can touch and control and see that we weren't just shown a CG trailer made to look like gameplay, that at least shows that some sort of real coded game exists (to some degree).

And really, E3 awards are all about promise and hype anyway—let's be real about that. At most—and I'm talking the really, really rare situations—you may get 30~45 minutes with a game. Typically, 10 minutes if you're lucky. Nobody of any level of intelligence can surmise if a game is good or not from that little exposure. E3 awards will never and can never be anything more than "man, this looks/seems cool to us, and we're looking forward to it" awards.

Did you see someone holding a controller and playing it? If not thats bizarre for the omission. Then again, I never played the original xenoblade, so I can't comment on it myself.

Uhh, yeah, what do you think a 45 minute gameplay demo entails? They literally showed the guy holding the controller as he was playing

And how is Yoshi a social/casual game?! Because it isn't super edgy and mature or a shooter or whatever arbitrary metric they're judging it based on?

Good, the thing is basically just a concept at this point, Nintendo showed off as much Zelda as EA did for Battlefront, it shouldn't be winning anything.

Pretty much. Giving Game of the Show to Zelda based on what they showed is basically giving an award to a franchise name and the hope that you have for what it'll be. Because what they showed was in no way worthy of GotS.

sjay1994

Jesus you can really tell what the critics are enamored with this cycle....third-person action games. Despite the fact there were many great, playable, diverse games on the floor what they chose was all the same crap.

Not sure if actually upset about the diversity of the games, or the fact none of them are coming to wiiU.

Sorry for the low blow in advance.

But the games are quite diverse.

1) Is a first person survival horror, with one dedicated AI and focused on never having the game play out the same way.

2)This one confuses me. Its pretty, but don't understand how the batmobile really makes a difference. I guess I am in the minority that loved the tight focus of Asylum, and was disappointed by the uneccesary bloat of city.

3)It looks like a fun game. People say its a fun game. A coop game that also has asymetric multiplayer.

4)Not a Tolkein fan, but the games Nemesis system sounds like a really cool idea.

5)The most ambitious game I have seen in years. The fact 4 people are making it blows my mind

6) Shit blew up, and you could take advantage of it. Looked like a tight fun game.

They might share the same branching genre, but they are doing something interesting in them.

sjay1994

Uhh, yeah, what do you think a 45 minute gameplay demo entails? They literally showed the guy holding the controller as he was playing

And how is Yoshi a social/casual game?! Because it isn't super edgy and mature or a shooter or whatever arbitrary metric they're judging it based on?

man, the more evidence people keep showing, the less this whole thing makes sense. Also, my guess for yoshi is simply because there were barely any platformers at e3 this year.

kudoboi

Best PC Game
- Civilization: Beyond Earth (Firaxis/2K Games)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (Bioware/EA)
- Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

surprised elite dangerous isn't here. didn't star citizen attend E3 as well?

RPGamer92

Banned
Another multiplayer game that suits the E3 environment well but doesn't have a long-lasting online community outside of a convention will win again...

Joke post I'm hoping? I'll bite though:

Alien Isolation: Licensed FPH title in the vein of Amnesia/Outlast. Impressive A.I. from the primary enemy.

Batman: Arkham Knight: One of the only two third person action titles on that list. Open world game with great brawling mechanics.

Destiny: FPS with MMO qualities. Played the Alpha and came away with positive impression that I wasn't getting from any of the press material.

Evolve: Team focused FPS that takes the heart of L4D and throws a heavy dose of strategy and diversity.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Second of the only two action third person titles. Another open world title that does share some elements of the Batman Arkham series, as well as Assassin's Creed. (Only title that I find surprising to see here, as I haven't been that impressed. Haven't watched any gameplay from E3 though).

Sure, they weren't the most original titles out there, but in the end it's about what the best games out there were altogether that they were able to play at the judge's week event. Not what was most original.

Zornack

I think there's something weird going on with how they assign games to categories. For example, No Man's Sky is up for Game of Show, Best Indie and Best Original but not Best Console Game? That doesn't make sense.

sjay1994

I think there's some merit to that. In a totally separate conversation from what's going on here, we decided for our "best of E3" awards for EGM that the game had to be playable in some fashion before it could be offered up as a nomination. The rationale is this: a video can look like gameplay but be totally faked, so the "promise" that's being conveyed may be total BS. If we can actually prove for ourselves that there's a working game that we can touch and control and see that we weren't just shown a CG trailer made to look like gameplay, that at least shows that some sort of real coded game exists (to some degree).

And really, E3 awards are all about promise and hype anyway—let's be real about that. At most—and I'm talking the really, really rare situations—you may get 30~45 minutes with a game. Typically, 10 minutes if you're lucky. Nobody of any level of intelligence can surmise if a game is good or not from that little exposure. E3 awards will never and can never be anything more than "man, this looks/seems cool to us, and we're looking forward to it" awards.

It was just a snide joke I made. Your rational makes complete sense.

stoff

Awards for unreleased games, huh?
It's like rewarding the english national team for their promising World Cup preparation.

My main disappointment here is the lack of diversity of any kind (except quartered off in the "We don't care about these categories" ghetto), but I don't know how much that has to do with the judges or the industry.

sjay1994

Joke post I'm hoping? I'll bite though:

Alien Isolation: Licensed FPH title in the vein of Amnesia/Outlast. Impressive A.I. from the primary enemy.

Batman: Arkham Knight: One of the only two third person action titles on that list. Open world game with great brawling mechanics.

Destiny: FPS with MMO qualities. Played the Alpha and came away with positive impression that I wasn't getting from any of the press material.

Evolve: Team focused FPS that takes the heart of L4D and throws a heavy dose of strategy and diversity.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Second of the only two action third person titles. Another open world title that does share some elements of the Batman Arkham series, as well as Assassin's Creed. (Only title that I find surprising to see here, as I haven't been that impressed. Haven't watched any gameplay from E3 though).

Sure, they weren't the most original titles out there, but in the end it's about what the best games out there were altogether that they were able to play at the judge's week event. Not what was most original.

Well the nemesis system looks cool. As for Batman, asides from the batmobile it doesn't look like its changing much from the previous Arkham games. Need hands on to appreciate I guess. AC on the other hand is promising to change the very core of the series.

majik13

I would call it more than a concept, since we saw some actual gameplay(opening shot on feild) though from a non gameplay angle, but yeah.

Some of these other nods werent too much better from what I saw though.
No Man's Sky and to an extent Rainbow Six, looked like staged tours through a level. I didnt realize the judges actually got to play them outside what was shown at E3.

Quentyn

They say this is a list of 39 publications but I only see 29 listed? Why do some get 2 (or possibly 3) votes? And how many of them are named Polygon?

It's a typo. They say 29 publications on the overview page.

Also I am pretty sure Geoff posted in last years thread that publications with more than one judge still have only one vote.

halfbeast

Banned
the whole idea of an E3 awards list is stupid. might as well have a category called:

Best game that starts with E and ends with VOLVE

shinnn

Any reason for Project CARS not even being mentioned for those racing game awards?

Slightly must be mad about it.

edit: oh, it was only behind close doors

My main disappointment here is the lack of diversity of any kind (except quartered off in the "We don't care about these categories" ghetto), but I don't know how much that has to do with the judges or the industry.

Certainly not the industry, there was a lot of creativity this E3.

Glad to see the Axiom Verge nom though, that game looks fantastic.

Eric_S

Speaking of nothing, wasn't Hyper light drfter playable at E3? Any impressions? (Or, I'm missing it in the indies list, how come it isn't there?)

Top Bottom