• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Oh im not disagreeing with any of this. But framing posts the way he did just starts up the is switch a handheld or console nonsense all over again which detracts from the point of this thread.

it's the downplaying that handheld games are "lesser" than console, just like mobile games are "lesser" than "real" games.

It took a player 30minutes to cross Horizon.

Damn thats huge. Its really impressive how big games can be these days. And at that level of fidelity too. Kudos to GG on Horizon. Cant wait to play what really looks to be an amazeballs game.

Zelda first, then gotta finish Nioh, then Horizon. So many good games!

vareon

Looking forward to both Horizon and Zelda, but I'm a longtime Zelda fan first so that first. Horizon I'll play in the middle of the year when the open world burn has faded.

It's good to know that I have two great adventures lining up. You're good, 2017.

phanphare

Banned
Oh im not disagreeing with any of this. But framing posts the way he did just starts up the is switch a handheld or console nonsense all over again which detracts from the point of this thread.

yeah it was a thinly veiled "I want to start some shit" post

but even in his attempt at that he just made me think how impressive this game on Switch will be. kind of shows how awesome their main gimmick is this time around that even when you try and frame it negatively it's still positive.

like back to OoT, I had to wait until 2011 to play that on a handheld. I remember when the DS launched I was blown away at being able to play an N64 game on a handheld. yeah, the DS launch was kind of ass in retrospect and fuck playing Mario 64 with a dpad but at the time I was just like, damn, this big console game is on a handheld. now it's just like, here's a game. you can play it however you want. take it with you, put it on the tv. do you. have fun.

I mean, he's right. this is pretty much the first time we've been able to play a game like this on a handheld. it's kind of crazy to think about. the next big console style 3D Zelda game, playable on handheld at launch. imagine going back in time to when OoT released and being able to take it off your tv with you wherever you went. I would have shit myself.

Yeah agreed, a handheld game this size and the fact it's home console quality is something a bit special. A lot of us have dreamed about something like this for a long time, PSP never quite did it and while Vita was closer, it still didn't quite do it (I still love my PSP's and Vita though) who would have thought Nintendo would be the first one to really crack the idea.

but even in his attempt at that he just made me think how impressive this game on Switch will be. kind of shows how awesome their main gimmick is this time around that even when you try and frame it negatively it's still positive.

like back to OoT, I had to wait until 2011 to play that on a handheld. I remember when the DS launched I was blown away at being able to play an N64 game on a handheld. yeah, the DS launch was kind of ass in retrospect and fuck playing Mario 64 with a dpad but at the time I was just like, damn, this big console game is on a handheld. now it's just like, here's a game. you can play it however you want. take it with you, put it on the tv. do you. have fun.

The main gimmick is of a convenience

entremet

EDGE has a soft spot for Nintendo, Zelda especially.

Not saying I don't trust their reviews. They're tremendous.

But did anything think this game would be bad, though?

I'm really curious as to where Zelda goes from here.

As am I. If BotW really is the game that Zelda players of highly disparate design values can all get behind at last—and I'm sure there will be backlash or contrarianism over something it's missing, but so far it's looking promising—I think the only way forward is for the series to stay controversial. It needs a Majora's Mask, a game that preserves the industry-leading interaction and physics that BotW promises to deliver, a style of play and control that might stick to the series for a good long while, and dares to put it in a containing form that nobody has seen before but not everyone is expected to like.

In the meantime, we'll have at least one DLC mini-campaign in BotW's world. And for all the grumbling about the timing and vagueness of Aonuma's DLC announcement a little over a week ago, in retrospect it looks quite shrewd of Nintendo to release that shortly before the preview embargo was up. Now the game is buried in positive press about both its base difficulty and the depth of its world, and the DLC pitch looks downright promising—especially if you consider that once people exhaust BotW, if they can, DLC may be the only source of 3D Zelda we get (and in a proven, working format) for the next five years.

I'm hoping for a big 2D game as well. We haven't had a main-console 2D Zelda since LttP (Four Swords Adventures notwithstanding—and that's not to knock it, as it was gorgeous on the GameCube). And ALBW, while fresh in its own right, was still a very cautious design that banked on the familiarity of LttP's tried and proven geography to ease people in. You could tell it was a transitional experiment in non-linear item progression. The 2D series' combat fundamentals like positioning and fighting with the sword are long overdue for refurbishment, like how the NSMB era of Mario (for all its conservatism and its overworked art style) absorbed a bevy of acrobatic mechanics from the 3D line. And there hasn't been a truly big shake-up to what kind of level design you can build from a top-down perspective since the verticality introduced by LttP.

ASIS

EDGE has a soft spot for Nintendo, Zelda especially.

Not saying I don't trust their reviews. They're tremendous.

Well, no. But Edge doesn't operate on a good/bad metric. They use a 10 point scale.

But Edge easily give 10 to Zelda games...

I mean I understand you can love Skyward Sword, but 10 to this one... It's really too much.

Why not? I mean, I bet almost no one has played the game yet, not in its entirety. Maybe the game is a 10.
I don't like Zelda much, only played Ocarina and A Link to the Past and I think they're just good games but I understand they are really loved and I get why.
Honestly I understand more a Zelda 10 than a GTA 10 but people is different.

Oh trust me I know and share you sentiment. My switch will rarely be in the dock. I already have a top box console. Love that my switch offers something different. But different strokes for different folks. Its all good!

But Edge easily give 10 to Zelda games...

I mean I understand you can love Skyward Sword, but 10 to this one... It's really too much.

Read the whole review and then say why it's too much. I 've read it start to finish and I was getting excited about it. There's stuff in there that they mention that sounds awesome.

From the moment that Mr. Aonuma showed off the initial video at e3 2014 there have been many skeptical people on GAF and other boards. The term "empty world" comes to mind.

In all fairness though, those of us who have waited all these years are relieved to see that the game isn't just good, but great.

Don't remember the same uproar when EDGE gave early, exclusive 10s to The Last of Us and Bloodborne.

Anyway, I know everyone is focused on the console exclusive games because NeoGAF, but Dandy Dungeon is fucking awesome and totally deserving of an EDGE 9 and your attention. Quirky, brilliant little line puzzle RPG from the director of Little King's Story. The best iOS game since Device 6... which came out in 2013... which says a lot about the state of the App Store...

Good to hear. First time hearing of Dandy Dungeon, will have to check it out at some point.

mrmickfran

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Both Bayonetta games, Super Mario Galaxy and Bloodborne. Edge is good people.

Little Big Planet and Skyward Sword tho...
scust.png

entremet

It means they are biased. It's a subtle downplay.
Well everyone has biases. It's not a jab at the review, but EDGE clearly loves Zelda games. Objective reviews don't exists and the concept is bullshit.

This is not an attack. I love Nintendo and Zelda.

emrober5

Zelda is going to get great reviews based on name alone.

Larger series should really be judged after that new game shine wears off.

MGS5 for example, is at 93 on metacritic and most would agree that it has some serious, fundamental problems. Many would argue Uncharted 4 falls into that category as well (I loved it).

I'm not saying BoTW will have similar issues (it looks fantastic), but these release day reviews for long running series don't mean much to me anymore.

Asuming that Edge is biased towards Zelda, then what? does that indicates this game is going to review lower than say... an 8? It's pretty obvious the game is going to be 9s a 10s all around and some minor 7s and 8s. Previews and anticipation had been big.
You could argue that the whole industry is biased on Zelda and many other ips but even if that were they case, games receiving 10s are not going to be actually 6s or less. At the very least they won't be THAT good.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Question: will discussion about it be banned from both the Horizon and Zelda OT? I certainly hope so because it can ruin both those threads.

People need to accept both games will be fantastic and thats a win if you are a gamer.

The E-Penis stuff is just dumb.
Even if one scores higher who cares? You can still enjoy the game you like or even both.

2017 is maybe the best year in gaming ever we should be happy!

I mean, we're not going to ban people making comparisons between the game per se, but I, and I'm speaking only for myself, have very low tolerance for stuff like "Wow Zelda! Horizon fans am cry" or "Man Horizon eats kiddie Zelda for breakfast", "Zelda fans are going to be so salty about this postive Horizon review" and vice versa.

As am I. If BotW really is the game that Zelda players of highly disparate design values can all get behind at last—and I'm sure there will be backlash or contrarianism over something it's missing, but so far it's looking promising—I think the only way forward is for the series to stay controversial. It needs a Majora's Mask, a game that preserves the industry-leading interaction and physics that BotW promises to deliver, a style of play and control that might stick to the series for a good long while, and dares to put it in a containing form that nobody has seen before but not everyone is expected to like.

In the meantime, we'll have at least one DLC mini-campaign in BotW's world. And for all the grumbling about the timing and vagueness of Aonuma's DLC announcement a little over a week ago, in retrospect it looks quite shrewd of Nintendo to release that shortly before the preview embargo was up. Now the game is buried in positive press about both its base difficulty and the depth of its world, and the DLC pitch looks downright promising—especially if you consider that once people exhaust BotW, if they can, DLC may be the only source of 3D Zelda we get (and in a proven, working format) for the next five years.

I'm hoping for a big 2D game as well. We haven't had a main-console 2D Zelda since LttP (Four Swords Adventures notwithstanding—and that's not to knock it, as it was gorgeous on the GameCube). And ALBW, while fresh in its own right, was still a very cautious design that banked on the familiarity of LttP's tried and proven geography to ease people in. You could tell it was a transitional experiment in non-linear item progression. The 2D series' combat fundamentals like positioning and fighting with the sword are long overdue for refurbishment, like how the NSMB era of Mario (for all its conservatism and its overworked art style) absorbed a bevy of acrobatic mechanics from the 3D line. And there hasn't been a truly big shake-up to what kind of level design you can build from a top-down perspective since the verticality introduced by LttP.

This is far beyond being long overdue. They never should have stopped making 2D Zeldas for home console in the first place, and the same can be said for Metroid.

man so much ss shade being thrown around

this aggression will not stand man

Nobody has the same opinion on games.....nobody. Those throwing shade on Skyward Sword like a bunch of shit other people don't like and consider shit. It's OK. Embrace it.

I like a bunch of games and would give 10s to games nobody else would. Does that make my opinion invalid? NO!

edge also gave 10/10 to skyward sword so eh

i'm sure botw will be good but an edge 10/10 don't mean much anymore

It's been said many times already in this thread, but knocking EDGE reliability because of a few scores you disagree with (SS,LBP,GTA4) is a redundant argument.

Good job tho, keep knocking down that EDGE Strawman.

Top Bottom