• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

El Topo

Very promising.

In the beginning of the year there was a flop of the year thread and people guessed different games, horizon being one of them. Nothing weird he/she is still salty about it though.

There was also quite a bit of shitposting from people that visited the Horizon threads.

Majukun

Good God the conclusion of EDGEs review:

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".
what did they say for skyward sword?

This is far beyond being long overdue. They never should have stopped making 2D Zeldas for home console in the first place, and the same can be said for Metroid.
Aonuma said on gameinformer that they won't stop doing 2d zeldas, implied heavily that the next one is on the switch, AND said that they want to shake up what it means to be a 2d zelda.

Aonuma is not fucking around.

Good God the conclusion of EDGEs review:

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".

L090lvT.gif

The Lamp

skyward sword and LittleBigPlanet? really?

Duh.

Both of those games were unlike anything seen before in terms of gameplay ideas. There's never been a game where you have motion control puzzles and combat like SS. And remember LBP came out before Minecraft. People were coding calculators and crude operating systems in that game, beyond levels and elite programming feats. Edge is impressed by going above and beyond the expectations of a genre or style of gameplay. It's no wonder LBP and SS impressed them that much, despite their obvious flaws

you're insane, Spirit Tracks nearly put me in a coma, the entire train mechanic was tedium redefined.
That's how I felt about sailing, sorry. If you want to talk about filler in Zelda, let's talk about that. I'm not saying the train stuff is better, but at least the level design was more inventive in ST.

The writeup for skyward sword:

"Nintendo has been so busy elaborating on Ocarina’s heroic ideal that it’s forgotten to embrace it for itself. So what better way to honour 25 years of bravery than courageously striving for something new? And what opportune hardware to cut those ties. After all, hasn’t the Wii hardware spent the past five years searching for the hero inside itself? Firstparty experiments have tested Wii’s boundaries, deducing what does and doesn’t work. Their findings resonate throughout Skyward Sword. In Wii Sports-powered bomb bowling. In skydiving and swordplay learnt on a Wuhu holiday. In the surreal beauty and orchestral bombast beamed down from Super Mario Galaxy. In the metallic Metroid chu-chunk of a door lock. Even the opinion-dividing Wii Music is vindicated in subtle moments of auto-tuning cleverness. How apt that this ultimate tale of heromaking should see Nintendo’s hardware become the console it was always meant to be. "

The praise stems from the premise of being the realization of the wii promise, and i agree with the reviewer, skyward sword aimed to be the ultimate wii game, and it managed to do that, even if at the expanse of aspects that people love about the series.

What should be noted though is that breath of the wild praise comes from all types of people, including those that didn't care for latest efforts of the zelda series, gamespot for example who wasn't hot on SS, is gushing HARD about botw. Granted, not every zelda fan will love breath of the wild, but it's THE game since ocarina that has a shot at being almost universally loved.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
First half of the year already on fire. This is shaping up to be an amazing year for gaming so far. Will be one for the books, I can feel it.

LotusHD

Banned

"Nintendo has been so busy elaborating on Ocarina’s heroic ideal that it’s forgotten to embrace it for itself. So what better way to honour 25 years of bravery than courageously striving for something new? And what opportune hardware to cut those ties. After all, hasn’t the Wii hardware spent the past five years searching for the hero inside itself? Firstparty experiments have tested Wii’s boundaries, deducing what does and doesn’t work. Their findings resonate throughout Skyward Sword. In Wii Sports-powered bomb bowling. In skydiving and swordplay learnt on a Wuhu holiday. In the surreal beauty and orchestral bombast beamed down from Super Mario Galaxy. In the metallic Metroid chu-chunk of a door lock. Even the opinion-dividing Wii Music is vindicated in subtle moments of auto-tuning cleverness. How apt that this ultimate tale of heromaking should see Nintendo’s hardware become the console it was always meant to be. "

The praise stems from the premise of being the realization of the wii promise, and i agree with the reviewer, skyward sword aimed to be the ultimate wii game, and it managed to do that, even if at the expanse of aspects that people love about it.

What should be noted though is that breath of the wild praise comes from all types of people, including those that didn't care for latest efforts of the zelda series, gamespot for example who wasn't hot on SS, is gushing HARD about botw. Granted, not every zelda fan will love breath of the wild, but it's THE game since ocarina that has a shot at being almost universally loved.

Well said.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Please delete that sexist and terribly drawn fanart. Sexual suggestion, nudity only of women, exaggerated curves, the only male in a central and domination position, one nude woman in a bottle in his hands... That's the worst, I hope a mod can deal with this, gaf isn't hentai reddit, but when you only have men posting...
Don't listen to him marmoka!

I said earlier that the reason Edge gave SS a 10 was because the Wii motion controls was realized and they had no problems. I had no problems with the motion controls and that's why I loved it. I understand some had problems with it.

Is there any indication of game length in the review?

Not from this review, but I have heard from previews that it will depend on how much you want to explore.

Beastcast just meandered around for 25 hrs before their first dungeon

Another reviewer said that completionists have their job cutout for them

Some reviewers said it migh be possible to beat it in a couple of hours, it's difficult but you can do it.

Kindekuma

Banned
Is there any indication of game length in the review?

Well you can run straight to the final boss from the beginning, or you can be like Dan Ryckert and put in 25 hours before even doing the first dungeon. Sooooo it's kind of up in the air on a good ETA to the game length.

Makai

There weren't any crazy frame rate drops in the Switch demo.

There were maybe a couple of instances where there were a couple of hiccups but that's about it.

Digital Foundary even did a video on it.

https://youtu.be/6ktFlmH_0CI
Dropping from 30 to 20 is massive. In the store, it stuttered badly when enemies were attacked. This could be an intentional effect like in Wind Waker, but it sure wasn't a good addition if so.

Aonuma said on gameinformer that they won't stop doing 2d zeldas, implied heavily that the next one is on the switch, AND said that they want to shake up what it means to be a 2d zelda.

I was thrilled to read that news. Developments like that are the key reason why I'm excited Nintendo's consolidating its home console and handheld pipelines. Game types that disappointingly moved to the realm of portables will finally be back on the big screen once again!

Aonuma is having his name engraved in the annals of videogame history

Well you can run straight to the final boss from the beginning, or you can be like Dan Ryckert and put in 25 hours before even doing the first dungeon. Sooooo it's kind of up in the air on a good ETA to the game length.

If you strictly follow the plot and do nothing else they reckon about 20 hours.

However, if you get side-tracked or jaded doing that, "simply turn around, point your compass in whatever direction and go somewhere else. There, Chances are you'll find magic."

xandaca

Having grown up with (and contine to play) the N64, a bad framerate on the Wii U version is something I can live with. Not ideal, of course, but far from enough to justify dropping for a whole new console.

The praise stems from the premise of being the realization of the wii promise, and i agree with the reviewer, skyward sword aimed to be the ultimate wii game, and it managed to do that, even if at the expanse of aspects that people love about the series.

All the people who were mocking Edge for their SS review and being dismissive about its score for BotW need to read this post. I would LOVE to hear their response.

tesqui

Damn, this could potentially become the most critically acclaimed Nintendo game since Super Mario Galaxy. I know this is only 1 review, but previews have been really glowing as well.

Caelus

Based on what I've read of the review, there seem to be elements of Majora's Mask they've incorporated into the world and story.

Top Bottom