• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Jan 09 Scores - come for the review scores, but stay for the whine!

Prine

Banned
Edge and Gametrailers are the only opinions that matter, and this is why an Edge 9 is worth more than anyone elses

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Cerebral Assassin said:
Are you actually comparing the shit that passes for journalism at 1up.com to Edge? I mean you can argue with the scores(although it makes you a bit stupid if you haven't actually read the reviews) but the quality of writing in Edge pisses on anything I've read online.

I'm saying I get more value from 1up.com's services than I do EDGE's top notch "journalism"

all the writers in the uk get passed around various uk mags anyway. Not like they're elite.

Willeth

Roxas said:
Netflix. Perhaps 'feature' would have been a better word, but without Netflix the NXE is nothing but a shiny new coat of paint on top of the old one. It works exactly the same way and the party system is bolted on and buggy.

rancor

Neo Member
what does the empire total war preview say? that game will get a least a 9, unlike the rest of the mediocrity there.

voltron said:
Media Molecule are British right? Seems about right.
Every month. How come Eurogamer doesn't get this bullshit?

is it just me or did EA just get robbed of best publisher?

e.
2cctgkh.jpg

Willeth said:
Netflix. Perhaps 'feature' would have been a better word, but without Netflix the NXE is nothing but a shiny new coat of paint on top of the old one. It works exactly the same way and the party system is bolted on and buggy.

How is the party system bolted on and buggy? I've used it constantly since it came out and have never had a single problem. I'm not even sure how it could be buggy.

Sonic scoring better than PoP seems odd.

Willeth

cr_blah_blah said:
How is the party system bolted on and buggy? I've used it constantly since it came out and have never had a single problem. I'm not even sure how it could be buggy.

Sonic scoring better than PoP seems odd.
You've not had your entire party drop for no reason? Happens to different people in my party almost every time.

I's nothing more than group chat with an 'invite all' feature. That's great if that's what you're looking for, and it does work, but the way they were talking about it pre-launch led me to believe it was much more.

Willeth said:
You've not had your entire party drop for no reason? Happens to different people in my party almost every time.

I's nothing more than group chat with an 'invite all' feature. That's great if that's what you're looking for, and it does work, but the way they were talking about it pre-launch led me to believe it was much more.

I haven't. I'm not sure what more it could or was supposed to be. You can cross-game chat and do the party system to jump from game to game. That's what I was expecting it to do so I'm not disappointed. My 360 is now making a rumbling sound while a game disc is in, that's not good. D:

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Visualante said:
Every month. How come Eurogamer doesn't get this bullshit?

is it just me or did EA just get robbed of best publisher?
Maybe because it's true? They love to overrate the shit out of British games, I mean it's pretty obvious.

Willeth said:

Has there ever been a console chat feature that potentially worked across 8 different games simultaneously? How is that not a big deal?

AniHawk said:
Yeah, screw reviewing a game for its combat and level design. Those sprites are old, man!

Yeah screw progressing the gameplay. Screw comparing the game to indie games such as Aquaria (a game made by 2 people) that wiped Castlevania's level design to the floor, screw having far less soul and lower production values then the FIRST game to use the formula, screw them for limiting the game to a handheld where it should cleary be on a console.

10 year old level design and 10 year old combat are right where it's at because the game is the pinnacle of 2D and 2D hardcore. For 10 years 2D hasn't evolved at all at retail! Huzzah!

acm2000

Error said:
Maybe because it's true? They love to overrate the shit out of British games, I mean it's pretty obvious.

brit devs make some of the best games in the world, id love to see a brit team make a football game again

AniHawk

ItsInMyVeins said:
Way to miss the kinda obvious point, dude.

What, was it sarcasm? Because then I did miss the point in that case.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah screw progressing the gameplay. Screw comparing the game to indie games such as Aquaria (a game made by 2 people) that wiped Castlevania's level design to the floor, screw having far less soul and lower production values then the FIRST game to use the formula, screw them for limiting the game to a handheld where it should cleary be on a console.

10 year old level design and 10 year old combat are right where it's at because the game is the pinnacle of 2D and 2D hardcore. For 10 years 2D hasn't evolved at all at retail! Huzzah!

Aquaria doesn't get noticed by anyone and you take it out on Castlevania? There are bigger games with way bigger budgets that have delivered a lot less and taken less risks.

I take it you didn't care much for Mega Man IX, eh?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
AniHawk said:
What, was it sarcasm? Because then I did miss the point in that case.

No, the fact that the game – even though it may be slightly improved – still looks and plays a lot like the ones before.

Best game:
LittleBigPlanet

i agree

Best Audio Design:
Dead Space

hell yeah

Best Online Experience:

Left 4 Dead
LittleBigPlanet
Gears of War 2

that would be Resistance 2 co-op with 8 people.... imo... even the horde mode in Gears 2 falls flat on its ass compared to this. in fact, Gears shouldn't be on that list.

AniHawk

ItsInMyVeins said:
No, the fact that the game – even though it may be slightly improved – still looks and plays a lot like the ones before.

Right, and I'm saying that's not a bad thing, because the ones before it were pretty good too.

Mind you, I didn't start playing these until about 2004. That was when I bought and first played Symphony of the Night. Then I played Dawn of Sorrow in 2005, and PoR in 2007 and OoE this year. I don't have nostalgia goggles on, and I don't have ANGER-NOSTALGIA goggles on either.

Willeth

BenjaminBirdie said:
Has there ever been a console chat feature that potentially worked across 8 different games simultaneously? How is that not a big deal?
Oh, it's still a good feature. It's just the only thing that makes any difference to how the dash works in the NXE and it's very obvious that the NXE is just a veneer over the workings of the old dash, which doesn't justify it being one of the best innovations of the year.

itsinmyveins

AniHawk said:
Right, and I'm saying that's not a bad thing, because the ones before it were pretty good too.

Mind you, I didn't start playing these until about 2004. That was when I bought and first played Symphony of the Night. Then I played Dawn of Sorrow in 2005, and PoR in 2007 and OoE this year. I don't have nostalgia goggles on, and I don't have ANGER-NOSTALGIA goggles on either.

Yeah, they were pretty good and I bought both of them. While PoR was good and all, I felt bored by the concept after DoS already. And now a third one's here? It might very well be better than the two former games, but lacking news is definitely a reason to criticize when it's the third similar game in a row.

Johnkers

Willeth said:
Oh, it's still a good feature. It's just the only thing that makes any difference to how the dash works in the NXE and it's very obvious that the NXE is just a veneer over the workings of the old dash, which doesn't justify it being one of the best innovations of the year.

It really has changed the way I play online on a console. That's certainly good enough for me to award it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I entered this thread expecting the bitching and moaning about Edge not giving people's favourite games at least 8/10, and it didn't disappoint. :lol

AniHawk

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, they were pretty good and I bought both of them. While PoR was good and all, I felt bored by the concept after DoS already. And now a third one's here? It might very well be better than the two former games, but lacking news is definitely a reason to criticize when it's the third similar game in a row.

I didn't like PoR compared to DoS just because the painting levels in PoR felt too samey. Like a remix or something. Didn't really like the combat either, though I can't tell you what exactly went on beyond swapping characters (JONATHON! CHARLOTTE! JONATHON! CHARLOTTE!).

OoE splits up the first half of the game into map-selectable levels that you have to complete before moving on to the next area. You use the powers you gain to save trapped villagers
and if you save them all, you unlock the second part of the game, the castle.
In addition, there's two bonus dungeons. One is a booby-trap-ridden "training hall" and the other is a "large cavern" containing the game's most dangerous enemies. Each rewards you with jewels and treasures that you need to give to the villagers you rescued to complete quests. Most quests can be completed without the special dungeons. But you're usually rewarded at the end of quest with more items in the shop, more cash, new armor, or food and potions.

You equip two weapons this time, and switching back and forth quickly enough makes Shanoa use them as a sort of quick combo. Each time you use a weapon, it eats up MP (which replenishes when you're not using weapons). Press up and the attack button, and it will combine the two types of weapons for a super attack (two hammers equals one mega hammer, a lightning ball and a sword attacks in a lightning sword-slash). These super attacks eat up hearts. The hearts don't replenish themselves, but you can find them in lamps and such. You can also equip status-changing effects to the R button that gives status boosts and whatnot.

So yeah. It was a bit different from the others. More of a change from PoR to be sure. You still level up, but this game felt like it was harder than others. Never to the point where you couldn't beat it with the right strategy though.

itsinmyveins

AniHawk said:
So yeah. It was a bit different from the others. More of a change from PoR to be sure. You still level up, but this game felt like it was harder than others. Never to the point where you couldn't beat it with the right strategy though.

I can see why people would like it, all I'm saying is that it's no wonder that they aren't exactly showering it with praise. It's the same old with some tweaks to it, right? To me, something like that can easily drag a good game down. If OoE was the first of the Castlevania DS-games I'm sure it'd be getting a higher score.

AniHawk

ItsInMyVeins said:
I can see why people would like it, all I'm saying is that it's no wonder that they aren't exactly showering it with praise. It's the same old with some tweaks to it, right? To me, something like that can easily drag a good game down. If OoE was the first of the Castlevania DS-games I'm sure it'd be getting a higher score.

I don't give a shit about the score Edge gave it. I came here to knock down Flying_Phoenix's notion that a game that reuses a formula is bad because it reuses a formula. This is the guy that loves Dragon Quest VIII and defends Twilight Princess's reuse of the OoT formula (note: I love both of those games as well).

shas'la said:

I remember the last time Naughty Dog made a sequel to something. It wasn't pretty.

Edge picked a fine time to drop the hammer on handheld Castlevania scores. They wait until the latest and best game in the series to say "That's it I'm sick of the same old crap. 6/10."

I disagree with the LBP love, but I do seem to be a minority there... I personally enjoyed the admittedly flawed Mirrors Edge more. And yeah, EA should have been in contention for best publisher (shocking as it is to admit!)

itsinmyveins

AniHawk said:
I don't give a shit about the score Edge gave it. I came here to knock down Flying_Phoenix's notion that a game that reuses a formula is bad because it reuses a formula. This is the guy that loves Dragon Quest VIII and defends Twilight Princess's reuse of the OoT formula (note: I love both of those games as well).

Both DQVIII and TP are good, yeah. Although the latter definitely is reusing OoT's formula and because of that simply isn't as memorable as Wind Waker, OoT or A Link to the Past.

soldat7

Wow. Does EDGE even like games anymore? Tell me again why I'm paying for a magazine full of poopy review scores and pretentious articles?

Narcosis

Any magazine that has an Armored Core game stand out as one of the highest rated titles of the month is completely invalid to me :lol

Stink

SecretBonusPoint said:
For those wondering "why so low" on scores, its because Edge don't review a game on its own merits but 'how innovative' it is. This over-rides every other criteria, and theyre well known for knocking sequels that bring "more of the same" rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

for me it's more a case of "why on earth do other reviewers give games that are just identikit sequels high marks". I play quite a lot of games and want to know if something is worth buying, therefore I naturally attach less value to something I've pretty much played before.

Stink

soldat7 said:
Wow. Does EDGE even like games anymore? Tell me again why I'm paying for a magazine full of poopy review scores and pretentious articles?

seems like the recipe for success is to give everything 10/10 and have dumb articles.

itsinmyveins

soldat7 said:

What's pretentious about their articles?

Top Bottom