• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Jan 09 Scores - come for the review scores, but stay for the whine!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has Edge ever announced if they round up or down from .5? Because for a few of those games, yeah if it's a 6.8 rounded down to 6, that makes a lot more sense to me, but if they do round up, there is no F*CKING way that some of their 6s are below 6.5.

I thought gaming publications were supposed to be all about "transparency" nowadays . . . why does it still have to be such a mysterious guessing game with these morons?

acm2000

AstroLad said:
Has Edge ever announced if they round up or down from .5? Because for a few of those games, yeah if it's a 6.8 rounded down to 6, that makes a lot more sense to me, but if they do round up, there is no F*CKING way that some of their 6s are below 6.5.

I thought gaming publications were supposed to be all about "transparency" nowadays . . . why does it still have to be such a mysterious guessing game with these morons?

its the reviewers opinion, thats is all, it cant be right or wrong, just cause it doesnt match yours, ffs -_-

Meier

Mar_ said:
This real? Deserves its own thread. The LBP fans will be ecstatic.
British developed game. British press looooooves to fellate British devs -- it's what they do.

(not to say that LBP doesn't deserve accolades, but it was it is here)

Jeff-DSA

I used to respect Edge for being "tough", now I just think they're a sad joke. Seriously, those scores and awards are stupid.

Raistlin

So LBP won basically every applicable award, and then 360 wins 'best hardware'? What does best hardware even mean? Weird.

Oh well, glad to see LBP get so much love.

scitek

Ryu Hayabusa said:
It´s a fuck*ng joke?
:lol

And yeah, if a 6 is still above average, people just need to realize their rating system is different. 8, 9 and 10 should be reserved for really top-notch games.

Jeff-DSA

acm2000 said:
its the reviewers opinion, thats is all, it cant be right or wrong, just cause it doesnt match yours, ffs -_-

Hmmm, I think reviewers can be flat out wrong. In what world is it correct to give Sonic Unleashed the same score as Order of Ecclesia?

NOT MY WORLD!

scitek

Kabuki Waq said:
wtf @ the Price of Persia score.

Its almost as if Edge Values Gameplay over pretty pictures and sounds! WTF!

Man, I don't like how the game looks. My brother gave it a rent and it looked like Ubisoft wanted it to be cel-shaded and then changed their mind at the last minute or something. It was a weird style that just didn't impress me.

acm2000

Jeff-DSA said:
Hmmm, I think reviewers can be flat out wrong. In what world is it correct to give Sonic Unleashed the same score as Order of Ecclesia?

NOT MY WORLD!

you do realise different reviewers review different games? not one poor guy playing every single game frantically to get a review done, everyones opinions are different, not right or wrong, deal with it

I said it before, but this thread is a perfect example of why at least some gaming review mags/sites need to abandon scoring and just concentrate on solid writing in their reviews - or at the very most settle on a “Thumbs Up! / Thumbs Down!” “score”.

Perhaps then posters here and elsewhere could get down to discussing the merits of any criticisms made in a review instead of waving numbers around like apes flinging shit.

Aegus

Edge should go to a binary scoring system. 0 and 1 (or in my mind a sad or happy face) at the end of each review.

It'd save a lot of hassle and tell you exactly if you should buy this game.

That or get rid of the review scores.

Jeff-DSA

acm2000 said:
you do realise different reviewers review different games? not one poor guy playing every single game frantically to get a review done, everyones opinions are different, not right or wrong, deal with it

So they're just wildly inconsistent. Got it.

Seriously, Edge's reviews have no meaning if you're going to go that route. I think it's pretty clear what it means if 1up gives a game a B as opposed to a C, regardless of the reviewer. Edge hides behind this mystical shroud of secrecy with their review scores that they always are able to get by.

Duodenum

Neo Member
Jeff-DSA said:
So they're just wildly inconsistent. Got it.

Ask anyone here how they'd score any particular game and you'd get a lot of variability. Why do you expect everyone employed by a particular publication to have similar gaming tastes?

Jeff-DSA

Duodenum said:
Ask anyone here how they'd score any particular game and you'd get a lot of variability. Why do you expect everyone employed by a particular publication to have similar gaming tastes?

No, the problem with Edge is that they are always inconsistent with their own scale, not just compared to other outlets' review scores.

Jeff-DSA

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Honestly if Edge agreed with me 100% of the time there wouldn't be any issues.

I'm not looking for a magazine to agree with me, I just want some level of consistency so I know how to better understand their scale. Right now, it's just a crap shoot. It makes the reviews worthless from a scoring standpoint.

acm2000

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm not looking for a magazine to agree with me, I just want some level of consistency so I know how to better understand their scale. Right now, it's just a crap shoot. It makes the reviews worthless from a scoring standpoint.

only way that is possible is have a single reviewer, how is one person meant to review that many games with a deadline of a few weeks

MechaX

Can't say I agree at all with Castlevania's score. Although, I'll get over it, especially when considering that the opinions of the game tend to vary pretty wildly when you go beyond the typical gaming press sites. For all we know, the guy could have gotten stuck on Brachyura or something.

Pretty surprised about PoP, Patapon 2, and Sonic Unleashed. Poor Last Remnant has been getting decimated by the press, but yet the players themselves tend to love it? I'm not aiming at a "LoL Edge lol RPG reviewers" comment, but I've just found that quite fascinating.

Armored Core For Answer is much higher than I expected and probably higher than it deserves to be (and this is coming from some one who liked For Answer much more over the crap that was Armored Core 4). But eh, I'd like to read that review to see if it was an AC veteran or a newcomer.

I AM JOHN! said:
I thought Edge still didn't publish the reviewers.

They don't, but it's safe to say the games probably weren't reviewed by the same person...

I get disagreeing with reviews (They gave GTA4 a 10, they're obviously wrong on occasion) but this whole "they gave x an 8, so their review of y is invalid!" is still as old now as it's always been.

zoukka

Onix said:
So LBP won basically every applicable award, and then 360 wins 'best hardware'? What does best hardware even mean? Weird.

Not software.

No it doesn't. The only necessary consistency is the one between the text and the score. And even that shouldn't be written in stone really.

TheGreatDave said:
They don't, but it's safe to say the games probably weren't reviewed by the same person...

I get disagreeing with reviews (They gave GTA4 a 10, they're obviously wrong on occasion) but this whole "they gave x an 8, so their review of y is invalid!" is still as old now as it's always been.
Nah, I wasn't saying that. I just don't get how they said that an awesome game is totally average and a terrible game is above average.

But whatever, it's Edge.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Both DQVIII and TP are good, yeah. Although the latter definitely is reusing OoT's formula and because of that simply isn't as memorable as Wind Waker, OoT or A Link to the Past.

Did TP have time travel? Nope. It just used a bland gimmick wolf transformation that wasn't exciting or interesting, so TP bombed in the stand-out category for that reason alone. Everything else about TP was very good, though.

Tideas

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

ask yourself this question: what does it matter in the end? Are you even a paying subscriber?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
acm2000 said:

Not saying they have to jive perfectly with my opinion, but pointing out that if scores aren't objective--and these attention-whore scores certainly aren't--wtf is the point of having a measurement in the first place?

But like I said this might all be somewhat mooted if I actually knew what their rounding policy was.

I AM JOHN! said:
Nah, I wasn't saying that. I just don't get how they said that an awesome game is totally average and a terrible game is above average.

But whatever, it's Edge.

I don't think POP is awesome. Weird how that works! ;)

The award was best hardware, not best platform. Change the name of the award or change the winner. Nice to see the latest hardware revision finally fixed RROD though, just like the last one...

Any new info on Uncharted?

Duodenum

Neo Member
freethought said:
The award was best hardware, not best platform. Change the name of the award or change the winner.

I'm guessing they meant best platform. Why would anyone care about an award for best physical hardware?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
lsslave said:
With 1 score they managed to show they should not review games ever and stop pretending to be worth the wasted ink they make

while I think castlevania is awesome, edge will always mark games down for being endless sequels with the same gameplay and in some cases the same graphics from previous games.

If you like castlevanias, this ones a good one too, but it doesn't really do anything orginal it's just more of the same (it's more of the same awesome though)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thanks for posting this but I really don't care about their review scores. Now, can you tell me all about Uncharted 2? Any new info/scans/anything? Thanks.

Danne-Danger said:
So what did they say about Patapon 2?
First half of the review states that it is essentially the same game again. Then in the later half they say that the additions are largely damaging to the formula (a tank Patapon), an "undercooked multiplayer mode". Though the levelling system is more flexible, other more powerful Rarepons make the game super easy with the same old boss strategies and some harsh sounding repetition of stages.

"This all adds up to an extremely unambitious sequel. Cynical isn't a word you would necessarily want to associate with Patapon, and the truth is probably harsher anyway. Patapon 2 is following a game concept that was realised the first time around" going on to mention a lack of serious innovation.

Duodenum said:
I'm guessing they meant best platform. Why would anyone care about an award for best physical hardware?

I don't really. But the award was called best hardware which I foolishly assumed meant the award was about hardware, not platform or library or online service or OS or any of the other factors which presumably lead them to choose 360 as a winner. The only thing they can't have factored in was the hardware itself.

Top Bottom