• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review scores August 2009

VALIS

Didn't they give Infamous a 7?

Here comes the whining. I see it cresting offshore like a giant wave of KZ2/Trico/LBP avatars.

AniHawk said:
That actually sounds pretty fair.

Dabookerman: please tell me this isn't their mistake.

That's my mistake, I didn't proof read. ooooooo

Nirolak said:
Does it look like this?

ev2t8l.png

Yup, looks like a perfect match, well done.

Haruspex

Banned
RandomVince said:
Moral choices in vapid, peurile games? Ive always considered "moral choices" in games as nothing more than a marketing bullet point, and a superficial attempt at conveying depth that we all know does not exist in any game to date.

Looks like they fell for the hype.

Um... that's what I was getting at. This whole 'moral choice' crap is getting tedious already but its currenty the poster-child for those who want to present games as being a bit arty or having their own merits because of interactivity.

Yagharek

Haruspex said:
Um... that's what I was getting at. This whole 'moral choice' crap is getting tedious already but its currenty the poster-child for those who want to present games as being a bit arty or having their own merits because of interactivity.

I was agreeing with you :)

AniHawk said:
That actually sounds pretty fair.

I don't know which review you're talking about, but bare in mind, the excerpt about multiplayer and controls are the only positives in that review. The rest of the review was hugely negative, and quite fun to read. Will post quotes if anyone's interested.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh man, I need a write-up of what the No More Heroes 2 article states. Need it now!

AniHawk

Dabookerman said:
I don't know which review you're talking about, but bare in mind, the excerpt about multiplayer and controls are the only positives in that review. The rest of the review was hugely negative, and quite fun to read. Will post quotes if anyone's interested.

Yeah, from what I played the multiplayer and controls were the only positives.

nny said:
Only a 4 for Another Code? Oh well, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Just read it. I know nothing about the game, but it sounds like a text game like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk. For comparison the first Phoenix Wright got a 7 (i think) and the 3rd one got a 6, for being more of the same really. Edge don't really like text adventures it seems. Their issue with the game, is that the text lacks wit, and it sounds like they find it boring really.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
nny said:
Only a 4 for Another Code? Oh well, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Me too, even more so than the DS version. A 4 means there's not much he liked in this game. Oh well.

Bad ass, they have a 5 page interiew with Schafer. and have had words with Microsoft and Molyneux RE: Natal. That cover is exclusive to subscribers too.

Awntawn

Aaron said:
I'm pointing out the game they obviously didn't do that for. Prototype is a short, single player only mess cobbled together by hobos. A six would be generous.
:lol I was being sarcastic. EDGE apologists say that all the time to try to add merit to their reviews, when the truth is their scores are usually just bogus and often way off the general consensus with no hint of consistency whatsoever.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
With so many people praising The Conduit's controls and multiplayer, HVS should have a pretty good idea on what to focus on in their next game (not that Gladiator shit).

Need NMH2 info!

Awntawn said:
:lol I was being sarcastic. EDGE apologists say that all the time to try to add merit to their reviews, when the truth is their scores are usually just bogus and often way off the general consensus with no hint of consistency whatsoever.

Truth, the review doesn't sound like an 8 really. To be honest, it didn't sound like anything.

shagg_187 said:
What a fucking Oxymoron review. So they complain about shit and gave it an 8? I can't imagine how they reviewed games like The Conduit with a 4 :lol
Like I said.

Saying that, the Conduit review sounds like a 3.

OOOOOO Rage in the next issue. Awesome.

Giantbomb gave the conduit the same score and the review sounded like a 1 star game. I'd say they were both being generous.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
agm2502 said:
Prototype - 8

Dabookerman said:
On Protoype, last paragraph :
Prototype won't win any awards for its story, which for all its micro-cutscenes and intrigue nodes leaves you wondering just how anti- its hero really is, and not always in a good way. Not do its objectives come as any real surprise once the pattern's set, most involving one almighty scrum between countless enemies and vehicles. When you're not evading strike teams by dashing into cover and walking casually back out, the disguise system seems more about playful murder than rewarding stealth. But which would you rather have: a game that tries everything or a game that doesn't have to? Prototype does what it does, and does it with distinction.

seinfield.gif

Boerseun said:
edge

As irrelevant today as they were yesterday and will be tomorrow.
Peter Molyneux on Milo reviews said:
Edge is an extremely important score to any developer, and wanting to get the perfect score is a motivator for many people...
Be sure to post next month

Dunlop

PSGames said:
Butt hurt fanboys upset it outscored a certain PS3 exclusive.

I won't compare it to infamous as they are completely different games, but while I am finding Protype fun atm, there are so many flaws and bugs that the games should definately not be anywhere above a 6.5 imho

almost
Everyone is ignoring this.

Battlefield 1943: Pacific - 9

Any info on that? Why did they love that one so much? I kinda expected that one to be a tired remake with not so much content so I haven't really kept up with it.

Thrakier

Dunlop said:
I won't compare it to infamous as they are completely different games, but while I am finding Protype fun atm, there are so many flaws and bugs that the games should definately not be anywhere above a 6.5 imho

At least not on the edge score. I played both and imo infamous is far more competent and polished in the gameplay section. Hell, it's far more polished in every section imo, graphics are not optimal for both games, they both have flaws. I think it's pretty funny that edge rated prototype higher than infamous, I thought that they would be gameplay whores and as such would rate infamous higher or at least equal. TBH I'm very surprised that prototype got an 8 anyway, I expected something around a 5 or 6.

Alex

Prototype isn't really that grand, I agree with the comments here.

Of course, Infamous either. Average games in a drought.

Well, not average, at least above average, because the posterchild for as average it gets just came out, and it's name is The Conduit.

Xater

glaurung said:
Incredible that EDGE would give PROTOTYPE an eight.

Can't wait to read that review.

RFG grade is about right, shame about Prinny.

Yep doesn't make sense at all compared to those other 2 big open world games that came out around the same. Those were leaps and bounds better than Prototype imo.

It's again Edge being Edge with their horrible scoring.

Maybe Edge just found Prototype to be fun to play?

I think there's a bunch of things it does badly, but it hasn't stopped me enjoying the time I've spent playing it. When you're just doing you're own thing it's a ton of fun.

Gallagher

Banned
agm2502 said:
Just got it in the post this morning:

The Conduit - 4
Indiana Jones and the staff of kings - 3
Another code R - 4

Did a search and couldn't see if these have been posted already. The also have an intervie.

feed_trolls.gif

Drek

I don't see why people get so wound up over EDGE reviews.

They don't use the whole damn scale, they just basically run exactly what everyone else runs, adjusted a couple points down. 9's and 10's aren't nearly as rare as EDGE's review scores would lead you to believe, and its rare that they go below a 3 or a 4 when some games are really so shit and broken that they deserve a 1.

At the same time the consistency and quality of their reviews varies GREATLY. This new little fanboy back and forth on Prototype and Infamous is a perfect example. While tastes do vary, Infamous is a significant leap ahead in terms of overall quality. Someone might prefer Prototype's gameplay over Infamous', but unless a game is doing something particularly amazing in that regard (which neither of those two particularly do) then its up to a credible reviewer to parse through personal preference like that and give a score based on how likely other gamers are to enjoy the game.

I personally prefer Chronicles of Riddick over every other FPS on the market, but thats a personal preference and I understand that. I don't try championing it as a superior game to Halo 3, Killzone 2, Gears of War 2, etc..

All EDGE ever comes across to me as is a magazine where the staff either completely don't get the supposed purpose of a published review or they don't care and are more focused with gaining whatever "cred" going against the grain gains them even when its wildly wrong.

But hey, they're better than IGN where the ADHD staff will give any "new hotness" a 10. Gamestop had a good run a little while back of some legitimate reviewing, but have since fallen from that path (probably a result of the whole Gerstman/Eidos deal).

Mr. Sam

ShockingAlberto said:
THEY COMPLAINED AND GAVE IT AN 8?!

BUT AN 8'S THE HIGHEST SCORE YOU CAN GIVE!

HUARGHAGRAFFLEDAMN

:lol

But seriously, that does seem like an awful lot of gripes for a game they gave an 8.

Woo-Fu

Banned
FFChris said:
Which PS3 exclusive did it get higher than?

Might be quicker to list the ps3 exclusives it didn't score higher than. In this particular case, probably different reviewers, definitely different criteria.

Ah Suda.

"It's like taking a shit," says Goichi Suda, Grasshopper Manafacture CEO, as he relaxes on his (office) seat. We blink first. "A lot of things influenced No More Heroes - things I saw, or heard, and something that came from inside. Something that needed to be eliminated from my body, like waste. That's why I created No More Heroes.
Edge goes on to write about how his colleagues are smirking and his translator becomes hesitant. "...No More Heroes 2? New taking-a-shit."

Suda claims the AI has been improved and enemies will now attack depending on their class and weapon, being ranged or more up in your face. They say the dual beam katana is pretty and the animation is suitably awesome with "effortless style". "It's a spectacle as much as a slaughter."

On secondary playable characters: They'll each have their own style and cool factor. Will Travis be overshadowed? Hardly. "He gets to pilot a giant robot! This lets you fight on a larger scale - there will be plenty more variety as well."

The game's city has been scaled back a little bit, improved visually with motion blue and HDR lighting. Suda says it's closer to the game he wanted to deliver originally. Edge says the city is a lot more lively and the streets more populated. He describes it as one-and-a-half times the original.

Regarding mini games: "The reason that I put these elements in is that it's a challenge to make a game," says Suda, "and so I want too make the player feel challenges to even play the game... Travis has to work..." it's a principle that, according to Suda, permeates his games.

On No More Heroes as a franchise: "I think this is the last NMH that is going to be developed on Wii. To expand NMH to new possibilities, we need a new platform. Wii is a great platform, but we've done everything we can with it now."

Great article, I laughed a bunch, I recommend picking up the issue or reading it in full on Edge-Online. There is a No More Heroes spoiler in the second to last paragraph if you want to read the rest Dabookerman.

Top Bottom